Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chronojam posted:

You're a squid kid, not a squid adult :colbert:

Someone pulled the models- turns out Callie and Marie are actually pretty huge compared to the Inklings/Octolings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone pulled the models- turns out Callie and Marie are actually pretty huge compared to the Inklings/Octolings.

Something about their models seems...off, and I don't just mean that the Octoling has pink tentahair. Like, the shading seems wrong.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The best map for the Inkbrush by a mile is Blackbelly Skatepark, so you may want to try learning the weapon while that's in rotation. Lots of action happening in close quarters, and lots of accessible perches to leap down on enemies from (leaping on players' heads is a top-tier Inkbrush strat).

Get a handle on using the sprinkler well, too. A sprinkler placed on ground takes about 8-10 seconds to fill its full radius (assuming the position is uncontested), so consider whether to pop one in a new spot after that time has passed. A sprinkler placed high on a wall will cover exactly the same area as one placed low on a wall, but higher is better for keeping it out of range of rollers. A sprinkler placed on a ceiling will fill a donut shape below it, and that hole in the donut can mean it's not necessarily the most clever/efficient location (but the higher the ceiling, the better). Visit the stages in recon mode (press Y in the lobby) to figure out your favourite spots.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 30, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Supercar Gautier posted:

The best map for the Inkbrush by a mile is Blackbelly Skatepark, so you may want to try learning the weapon while that's in rotation. Lots of action happening in close quarters, and lots of accessible perches to leap down on enemies from (leaping on players' heads is a top-tier Inkbrush strat).

Conversely, you probably will want to avoid playing on Bluefin and Arowana. They are by far the worst two for Inkbrush in part because they depend so much on being able to climb and Inkbrush's splash doesn't have good coverage on walls.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pyroi posted:

Something about their models seems...off, and I don't just mean that the Octoling has pink tentahair. Like, the shading seems wrong.

They're probably lacking the right shaders or something. Makes them look all kinds of hosed up

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Pyroi posted:

Yeah the ripped models are exported in SFM and dont have the shading effects from the game put on them, which make everything look brighter and smoother.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Spla2oon should be a gritty political drama starring the Squidaults.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Makes sense that they're taller; they're not squidkids, they're squidults.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lemming posted:

It's very frustrating when opponents swim through freshly laid ink like it's not there, as well as how often 3 and 4 hits with splattershot will not kill people.

I enjoy spontaneously combusting from someone who's around the corner and dead.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the lag issues in this game are so ridiculous sometimes. Teleporting rollers are the worst.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

sometimess the lag is non existant, othertimes im seeing ink magically appear on the walls and floor 5 seconds after everyone's dead, and twice ive had runs where the entire team or my own disconnected.

When it works it works, when it lags, it lags.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I tried the inkbrush again and basically won every game and then went on another losing spree. Its just like Dota where I have a 50% win ratio overall but only experience massive bursts of success and failure :shepicide:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Conversely, you probably will want to avoid playing on Bluefin and Arowana. They are by far the worst two for Inkbrush in part because they depend so much on being able to climb and Inkbrush's splash doesn't have good coverage on walls.

Arowana is just such a piece of poo poo map. You can ambush the chargers but getting behind them takes ages relative to how much time it takes for them to just set up again. I went 14 and 3 earlier but still lost by 2 seconds because it took so loving long to kill the chargers and get the point back.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite is when someone throws a seeker at me and I dodge it, only to watch the trail appear a full 10 seconds later in chunks.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Hilariously since getting the LAN adapter, I don't lag unless the server does. This does not help other people lagging and I can't count the number of times I've been splatted from behind by the person 10 feet in front of me.

Edit: Anybody try stacking special duration up with something like bubbler or kraken? It worth it over special up?

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 30, 2015

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Arowana is just such a piece of poo poo map. You can ambush the chargers but getting behind them takes ages relative to how much time it takes for them to just set up again. I went 14 and 3 earlier but still lost by 2 seconds because it took so loving long to kill the chargers and get the point back.

You can use the directory in the middle for cover and chuck bombs at them to splat them or at least get them to jump from their spot. Or what I have been doing for the past few days, Killer Wail them out of the spot.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jarogue posted:

You can use the directory in the middle for cover and chuck bombs at them to splat them or at least get them to jump from their spot. Or what I have been doing for the past few days, Killer Wail them out of the spot.

Splatzookas and Inkstrikes are also a pain in the rear end. Alternatively, you can just wait for their teammates to bump them off the ledge when they squid jump to their location.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz

Jarogue posted:

This is a great start for all the short range weapons if your team has control. You can paint enough territory to keep snipers from stopping your counter and ambush invading squids with an advantage.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I hate it when the whole team comes to the other middle section of Bluefin Depot and leaves the other side - and your base - open and unprotected. Then you're _inked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
New weapons are fun, carbon roller is super good and the luna blaster or whatever is pretty pro too if you can use it right, getting some fun kills.

Still its hard for me to justify using anything other than the inkbrush. I love the inkbrush so hard.

Had a really great winning streak tonight, played like 9 games and won 8 of them to knockout. Which is unusual because I usually get put on poo poo teams and lose no matter what I do.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm dying to find out what that weird looking unreleased charger plays like.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got the amiibo 3-pack and the time attack challenges are so ridiculously fun aaaah I love em

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Had a match with a Japanese player. I swung the splat roller at him and he blew up but didn't get the message. Ran back to my base in the mall to take the top route and took that alleyway. Halfway through it I exploded and the camera zoomed all the way across the map to show the roller painting a corner of his base. (and then I finally got the splatted message).

Why would someone like that even try to connect to the internet holy poo poo.

Edit: They really need to patch the fact Rollers get enemy paint on them- it's a cool effect but there's been several times I've seen a green enemy rush me with a blue roller and at a glance I ignore them because "oh he has a big blue weapon he MUST be on my side!"

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 30, 2015

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

flarp22 posted:

Anyone on youtube putting out regular or semi-regular Splatoon content that isn't insufferable to watch? Most of the people I'm subbed to aren't really posting many videos about it and occasional random searches haven't been kind to me.

It really should be easier to find people who play video games and still have enough time left over to make videos about video games, who aren't insufferable to watch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What exactly is there to make videos about, really? I guess this question is obvious to people who actually make or watch these videos.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
:siren: TOWER CONTROL INCOMING :siren:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

According to Nintendo's Twitter, Tower Control is out July 2nd!

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
I was too slow to post the news so here's a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQlF1JnS94

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So have they stated how new modes are going to integrate? Are they going to cycle like the maps do? Or are they simply going to be another category of ranked to pick? The article wasn't clear.

I think I'd prefer it if they cycled like the maps, maybe start cycling splat zones into unranked now.

Regardless, exciting! :dance:

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Cat Machine posted:

According to Nintendo's Twitter, Tower Control is out July 2nd!

Where are you seeing this? All I've seen says July 1st (tomorrow).

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Randumb Thots posted:

Where are you seeing this? All I've seen says July 1st (tomorrow).
Ah, it's July 2nd (morning) in Europe.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

The Manticore posted:

I was too slow to post the news so here's a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQlF1JnS94

Cool video. Looks like fun. Bet snipers are going to be super valuable in this one since the person "riding" the tower is going to be a sitting duck with no cover (or conversely, have a nice high perch with a clear view).

Also it struck me that there were several times when more than one person was riding the tower. That just seems like asking for your whole team to get picked off.

Cat Machine posted:

Ah, it's July 2nd (morning) in Europe.

D'oh. Stupid round Earth.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
tower control is going to be ridiculous

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like the little ice cream truck jingle. Really though I don't want it as ranked though- that just sounds like a terrible idea.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Tower control is going to make blasters ubiquitous

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Not a Children posted:

Tower control is going to make blasters ubiquitous

I can't wait to get a whole team splat with a single dynamo roller flick.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Do we know anything about the path the tower takes in other maps?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm gonna dynamo roller all you chumps sitting on the tower

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
I personally would like all the game modes to be available as both ranked and unranked.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
your rank doesn't matter at all, don't worry about it going up or down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It effects your mad gains though, and with Spykes prices you want those gains.

• Locked thread