Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Gilgabot posted:

@Bufuman can now use the Water Job 'Summoner' and now is out of MP.

On the one hand, this makes 10 straight runs without ever getting Black Mage or Time Mage.

On the other hand, better than Red Mage. Sure, no Dualcasting Holy, but going all the way through Karnak with only White and Red Mages would've sucked so hard.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Time Mage is fun and cool and I never get it either :(

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Well poo poo, right after getting a third Berzerker my game now crashes when I start battles. :negative:

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Welp I just brought shame to my family with how I won the Titan fight.
http://gfycat.com/MelodicCreepyAcornbarnacle

My first run's gotten off a bit slow. Stupid computer had hardware issues this week, a dead GPU that prevented me from playing. But I JF'd out of the geomancer/dual chemist setup that I had, keeping the jobs that were good, so my run is now BM, Berserker, Bard, Chemist.

Note for those considering the JF on their chaos run: since the jobs get rearranged by crystal order in chaos runs, apparently you can't just select the same slot to reliably replace one character. This was sad for me as I'd much rather have only replaced the geomancer, but hey it required me to pay for every slot in my team so more money to charity.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
First Fiesta run, registered Chaos BerserkerRisk, ended up with Summoner/Zerker/Bard/Zerker, rode it to a triple crown for my first Fiesta victory of the season, featuring a late-to-the-party Fartz? due to playing a physical copy of the game.:

All in all, a good run that wasn't too ballbusting since I got Summoner and Zerker as my Wind/Water jobs. The power of Romeo's Ballad and Axes got me through Omega after a few attempts to space my singing out properly, and Hermes Sandals + Swift Song + Wonder Wand Berserk + Frantic just-barely-fast-enough casts of Golem forever (and Axes) got me through Shinryu. Exdeath, amusingly, was probably my biggest issue, since I had to juggle my first form buffs (sing Swift just long enough, punch the bard, sing Hero's Rime just enough, punch the bard before the two berserkers buzzsawed Exdeath into NED) and make sure both casters were ready to spam Catoblepas at the Almagest portion of NED and pray that it worked before the laws of the universe ceased their meaning. Finished around level 32-34

Wondering if I'm going to do a second Chaos or a normal run as a refresher next.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 30, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bufuman posted:

Why do I have to wait until freakin' Karnak to buy Flails? Magissa and Forza are going to be shits that take forever to kill. To say nothing of Garula. :negative:

Magissa is vulnerable to silence, and protect takes care of Forza and Garula, but yeah, they'll still take a long time to kill.

Honestly, the early game up to the Water Crystal is kind of boring for most classes. With White Mages it's nearly impossible to lose, but every fight is a drawn out affair. Meanwhile, four Knights or Monks just go through the section on autopilot, and Black Mages just abuse the enemy's elemental weakness.

Oddly enough, four Thieves is probably the most interesting option at this point. You have little offense or defense, so you really have to make every turn count and properly use potions. Two of your party members won't even have weapons at the start, which creates a unique dynamic. The only downside is the grinding you have to do to beat Magissa.

InfernoBlade posted:

Welp I just brought shame to my family with how I won the Titan fight.
http://gfycat.com/MelodicCreepyAcornbarnacle

That's not shameful, that's playing it smart.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Bufuman posted:

Why do I have to wait until freakin' Karnak to buy Flails? Magissa and Forza are going to be shits that take forever to kill. To say nothing of Garula. :negative:

Be thankful that you can at least have one for those fights. Having to do them with just staffs would be torturous.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

On the one hand, this makes 10 straight runs without ever getting Black Mage or Time Mage.

On the other hand, better than Red Mage. Sure, no Dualcasting Holy, but going all the way through Karnak with only White and Red Mages would've sucked so hard.

Red Mage is actually pretty sturdy through Karnak. Frost Rod + Blizzara actually manages to do pretty well in Karnak even with their mediocre stats. Once Sol Cannon/Archaeoavis happen, the stronger mages pull out ahead and leave Red Mage with rodbreaking, and once you hit World 2 Red Mage becomes actively a liability.

Did you know they're second only to Dancer for game-worst Vitality/HP?

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009
If you kill Exdeath Castle Gilgamesh in his first form, so he never gets banished, does he still show up in the rift? It's loving hilarious, but I don't want to miss out on any Gilgamesh later because of it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Rixaxun posted:

If you kill Exdeath Castle Gilgamesh in his first form, so he never gets banished, does he still show up in the rift? It's loving hilarious, but I don't want to miss out on any Gilgamesh later because of it.

I did this in one of my runs this year and he still showed up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Signed up for this challenge for once with a friend. Trying to recruit more, but they seem unsure if they'd loose interest after 2 hours of play.

First draw is black mage. Considering it's the start, I have high hopes.

13/f/cali posted:

I did this in one of my runs this year and he still showed up.

Holy poo poo, you still have your avatar from like 2007/2008.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mordaedil posted:

Signed up for this challenge for once with a friend. Trying to recruit more, but they seem unsure if they'd loose interest after 2 hours of play.

First draw is black mage. Considering it's the start, I have high hopes.

Holy poo poo, you still have your avatar from like 2007/2008.

So weird to think that was 7 years ago.

I also finally get to play with a black mage. I've done 4 runs this year and did 4 in total last year and never got one so I'm happy to get something new.

Between all my FJF playthroughs now I have yet to have Knight, White Mage, Mystic Knight and Ranger. Would like if I could draw one of those too.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

KataraniSword posted:

Red Mage is actually pretty sturdy through Karnak. Frost Rod + Blizzara actually manages to do pretty well in Karnak even with their mediocre stats. Once Sol Cannon/Archaeoavis happen, the stronger mages pull out ahead and leave Red Mage with rodbreaking, and once you hit World 2 Red Mage becomes actively a liability.

Did you know they're second only to Dancer for game-worst Vitality/HP?

As someone who is currently dragging a Red Mage along, I would rather have a Berserker, a Monk, or a Geomancer than a Red Mage. And that's WITH a White Mage on the party as well to shore up the red mage and his godawful every stat.

I never want to grind up 999 AP for Dualcast ever again (and that was only because I had access to Holy, otherwise I wouldn't even have bothered)

Inept in literally every single way, and the only reason it took me until about the end of world 2 to notice was because the rest of my team was a white mage, a beastmaster, and a chemist.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think most people who do multiple runs already know about this, but for anyone that doesn't (and it is super easy to miss)...

Tycoon's top secret treasure that the Chancellor doesn't want YOU to know about!

its only 2 cottages so its not major or anything but it could be useful at some point

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Bufuman posted:

So, in other words, you need to be level 73 just to have even the merest chance? drat.

On the other hand, keep using the Magic Lamp to get Catoblepas and you'll have a 1/(however many pieces are left) shot of having it target the petrify-able part, which should work 100% of the time like the Magic Lamp part. Is that right? It sounds about right.

Also, apparently Magic Lamp Catoblepas targets all enemies in the Android/iOS version, so if you're playing that, you've got a free pass there.

The special thing about Lamp-Odin is that he'll always use True Edge. Regular summoned Odin will look at NED, see that 3/4 of him is immune to instant kills, and chose to throw his spear instead. If he did use True Edge, it would work just as well as Lamp-Odin's, but regular Odin doesn't waste his best moves on one quarter of his enemy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Dragonatrix posted:

I think most people who do multiple runs already know about this, but for anyone that doesn't (and it is super easy to miss)...

Tycoon's top secret treasure that the Chancellor doesn't want YOU to know about!

its only 2 cottages so its not major or anything but it could be useful at some point

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

I've never known about that. And looking at a walkthrough, apparently they are Lone Wolf Vulnerable too!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

This game has some deviously hidden items. The Great Sword lying in the water, the Iron Draft and Hi Potion found in the Island Shrine, even the Bone Mail is very easy to miss if you don't know about it.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Dragonatrix posted:

:monocle:

I learn something new every day!

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

This game has some deviously hidden items. The Great Sword lying in the water, the Iron Draft and Hi Potion found in the Island Shrine, even the Bone Mail is very easy to miss if you don't know about it.

The big one I only discovered last year (after 12 years of playing this game) was the second pair of Leather Shoes in Tule behind that dude's house.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Got back into it after a bit of break, that cannon on the airship kinda kicked my rear end on the first attempt, while grinding on the crescent island I came across a Death Sickle, which is not only a damage upgrade for my 'zerker, but can cause insta-death? This sounds really good, unless it just never procs.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
EDIT : Nevermind, I'm a dummy

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

axelsoar posted:

Got back into it after a bit of break, that cannon on the airship kinda kicked my rear end on the first attempt, while grinding on the crescent island I came across a Death Sickle, which is not only a damage upgrade for my 'zerker, but can cause insta-death? This sounds really good, unless it just never procs.

It can proc on a bunch of upcoming bosses. In fact it's so useful that it's capable of taking you right up to World 3 skipping all the available axes in the next world.

The death sickle doens't just make the Berzerker tolerable, it can actually make the berserker a carry-capable class for low-power teams (which any group with WM typically is)

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Amgard posted:

It can proc on a bunch of upcoming bosses. In fact it's so useful that it's capable of taking you right up to World 3 skipping all the available axes in the next world.

The death sickle doens't just make the Berzerker tolerable, it can actually make the berserker a carry-capable class for low-power teams (which any group with WM typically is)

Huh, neat!

Is Ranger any good, because right now all they seem to have going for them is less damage than the 'zerker and back row safety.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

axelsoar posted:

Huh, neat!

Is Ranger any good, because right now all they seem to have going for them is less damage than the 'zerker and back row safety.

Eventually they get !Rapid Fire, which is one of the best physical commands in the game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

axelsoar posted:

I came across a Death Sickle, which is not only a damage upgrade for my 'zerker, but can cause insta-death? This sounds really good, unless it just never procs.

It's a 33% chance per attack. It happens quite a lot more often than you would expect and works on a ton of bosses across the entirety of the game too.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I talked myself into a chaos run for Run 2, to commence next week. First job is a fiesta-first for me...Blue Mage! :getin:

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
Well GG first ever fiesta run my #earth job is chemist for the "worst" team ever blue/time/ninja/chemist. All praise gilgabot?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ok so with a team of 3 zerkers and a blue mage I'm looking at having to switch from gba to a pc because my save is fudged.

I'm so lucky this year!!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Poque posted:

I talked myself into a chaos run for Run 2, to commence next week. First job is a fiesta-first for me...Blue Mage! :getin:

I just did the same thing I am eager to find ways to abuse the game with a blue mage/ninja/samurai/chemist

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CapitalistPig posted:

I just did the same thing I am eager to find ways to abuse the game with a blue mage/ninja/samurai/chemist

Hahahaha if you even wipe once with that party, you are a failure.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Poque posted:

agreed, this is a triplecrownworthy party for sure (probably, unless Omega makes me angry)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Poque posted:

Triple Blue Dragon back attack. :getin:

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

axelsoar posted:

Huh, neat!

Rangers steadily get better. Equip Bows is one of the better Equip Powers because Rangers get better and better bows over time. The top bows are pretty much some of the better tiers of weapons in the game and passing that along to your White Mage while it's waiting for Holy can add speed and power to a class that doesn't excel in either.

I'm gonna be a bit of a contrarian and say that I'm not a huge fan of !RapidFire on the Ranger himself. Hitting 4 times at half damage with guaranteed hits and armor pierce is really great, but it lags out on a few key fights and you have to grind for it to be a strategy you can count on. !RapidFire is incredibly good, but when I get a Ranger, all I can think about is how I'll only see it near the very tail end of the game.

If you plan on grinding out skills, you'll be doing sick damage though.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so what are the tricks to omega, anyway? i have mystic / black mage / ninja / bard, and have never done omega or shiryu before. everyone makes them sound like a nightmare though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bard can keep Omega stopped via Romeo's Ballad (and it will always hit!), so have everyone with Hermes Sandals equipped. 3 people stagger Romeo's Ballads to keep him Stopped while the Mystic Knight dual wields Thundaga Spellblades for 9999 each that can't miss because Stop reduces Ev% to 0 :v:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Dragonatrix posted:

Bard can keep Omega stopped via Romeo's Ballad (and it will always hit!), so have everyone with Hermes Sandals equipped. 3 people stagger Romeo's Ballads to keep him Stopped while the Mystic Knight dual wields Thundaga Spellblades for 9999 each that can't miss because Stop reduces Ev% to 0 :v:

Don't even need three people singing. One with Romeo's Ballad and one with Swift Song can keep him locked down completely, letting you have two attackers.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah 3 might be a bit much but when I did it with Bards, I had two staggering Romeo's Ballads because I needed the other 2 for offense. Problem with the Swift Song thing is that until it gets your agility high enough, one person outright cannot keep Omega stopped long enough to prevent either his turns or his counterattacks.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Is there any way of surviving Titan with a party of Summoner/Red Mage/Geomancer/Bard beyond grinding levels to survive his death-Earth Shaker?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alluring Air on Gaelicats at North Mountain for Float's the easiest way by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Soup du Jour posted:

Is there any way of surviving Titan with a party of Summoner/Red Mage/Geomancer/Bard beyond grinding levels to survive his death-Earth Shaker?

Go to north mountain and confuse the cats until they've floated everyone

• Locked thread