Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

hubris.height posted:

so what are the tricks to omega, anyway? i have mystic / black mage / ninja / bard, and have never done omega or shiryu before. everyone makes them sound like a nightmare though.

Your composition actually makes Omega and Shinryu super easy just by virtue of having bard, let alone MK on top of that. For Omega just give !Sing and running shoes to everyone but the Knight (who gets dual-wield), then just spam Romeo's Ballad with 3 people over and over while you Thundaga blade up and beat the poo poo out of him, shouldn't even get an action.

For Shin you can just use !Image on everyone while coral rings soak his first attack, then berserk him using the wonder wand and beat the crap out of him with Apollo's Harp and whatever else you got while keeping your images up. The super bosses are definitely rough but you have a good setup for tackling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dragonatrix posted:

I think most people who do multiple runs already know about this, but for anyone that doesn't (and it is super easy to miss)...

Tycoon's top secret treasure that the Chancellor doesn't want YOU to know about!

quoting for the new page because what on earth

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
what is the button for switching to someone else when multiple party members have full atb? i did my entire first run without doing it and i know there is a button for it. on gba.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sweetgrass posted:

For Shin you can just use !Image on everyone while coral rings soak his first attack, then berserk him using the wonder wand and beat the crap out of him with Apollo's Harp and whatever else you got while keeping your images up. The super bosses are definitely rough but you have a good setup for tackling them.

You don't even need the rings. Any class but Berserker will beat Shinryu's opening Tidal Wave with haste from Sandals.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

hubris.height posted:

what is the button for switching to someone else when multiple party members have full atb? i did my entire first run without doing it and i know there is a button for it. on gba.

Select, I would imagine.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

hubris.height posted:

I want to say it's select?

Finally got the band all together. Thief/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai. It was a bit of a shaky start but I solved most of my problems by throwing Sand Bears and Thunder Rods at them. Any synergies to look out for? At a glance I don't see anything in particular.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

hubris.height posted:

No such button, this didn't come about until FF6.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Currently grinding my three zerk and summoner team. Tried NED at level 50 and even with a lucky run with the first form I just get wrecked by grand cross and Almagast. Not sure what level I can expect to have to grind too.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Final group set, is Samurai decent at all?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

axelsoar posted:

Final group set, is Samurai decent at all?

Samurai is literally a way to pay to win.

Kanpachi posted:

I want to say it's select?

Finally got the band all together. Thief/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai. It was a bit of a shaky start but I solved most of my problems by throwing Sand Bears and Thunder Rods at them. Any synergies to look out for? At a glance I don't see anything in particular.

No idea about synergies, but once you get to the third world, you can break poison rods on any boss and then cast quick and just let everything steadily die from Bio's unstoppable sap.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
Second-best Earth job, if you give it an Elven Mantle + Shirahadori it should effectively never die.
Zeninage is good damage if you have the money and the levels. Just throw cash at Puroboros to end that stupid fight immediately.
If you're willing to master it (takes a while), Iainuki is like having an Odin command.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Hrm. White Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Dragoon. Not sure how to make use of the Geomancer, besides probably just using it with !Summon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Black Balloon posted:

Hrm. White Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Dragoon. Not sure how to make use of the Geomancer, besides probably just using it with !Summon.

That's honestly what you should be doing with everyone aside from the Summoner (who gets !White). Lean on the Ramuh/Titan/Syldra button (depending on world) and liquify anything that looks at you funny.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Kanpachi posted:

Just throw cash at Puroboros to end that stupid fight immediately.

Boy, sure wish I read that before dropping by the Walse meteor, that was frantic and scary, eventually just tried silencing and that seemed to work, yay status effects.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

axelsoar posted:

eventually just tried silencing and that seemed to work, yay status effects.

FF5 in a nutshell.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Oh boy, I sure do love having to do a 1-on-1 fight using my White Mage, wooo.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Well, just started. Pulled White Mage for my Air Crystal job. Thanks, Gilgabot. Great draw for a guy who has never beaten the game before :-/

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Just tried out the Samurai throw money move and JESUS, see you later Gilgamesh!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

David Corbett posted:

Well, just started. Pulled White Mage for my Air Crystal job. Thanks, Gilgabot. Great draw for a guy who has never beaten the game before :-/

it seems like you're being sarcastic, yet the words you say are true

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Poque posted:

it seems like you're being sarcastic, yet the words you say are true

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

David Corbett posted:

It's a very slow start, true, but once you get your Water job you'll have more offense to play around with and the White Mage can stick to doing what it does best.

Also, later in the game, you'll have access to Shell, Curaga, and Holy. All of which adds up to a run that's going to get much, much easier and more fun as you go.

EDIT: And Run #3 stars with... Mystic Knight. :getin:

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 30, 2015

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Thinking about it some more, I figure that you're right. Is the iOS version iPad only? If so, I might have to drag out my old GBA, haha. Monk might have been preferable for the sweet barehanded action, but access to restorative magic is always a plus depending on what I pull later. Guess I'm betraying my lack of experience here.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Beastmaster for guy #3. I hear whips are pretty good for berserkers at least.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

David Corbett posted:

Monk might have been preferable for the sweet barehanded action

David Corbett posted:

Guess I'm betraying my lack of experience here.

Monks are awful from what I hear, they just fall off super hard.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How much of world 3 is optional? Can I just go into the rift right away, or do I have to go the pyramid and whatever other places to unseal the weapons? And if I can skip all that, should I bother unsealing the weapons for Berserker and Samurai (my two jobs)?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

axelsoar posted:

Monks are awful from what I hear, they just fall off super hard.

They're pretty solid for all of world 1 and between half and two thirds of world 2.

They remain fine if you have a way to artificially boost their levels (bard, chemist) because their bare-handed attack gets a double dip from that, but in normal gameplay they won't level enough that their hands keep up with the late-game weapons. HP +30% isn't bad for classes that have no need for any other support either - for instance, if you've got a Time Mage or something - and !Focus/!BuildUp is one of the options to get around Chicken Knife's random running.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 30, 2015

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

David Corbett posted:

Make sure to go south in the ship graveyard for the hidden flail. It will be your best offense for the next few bosses.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
So which blue magic can I just not get if I don't have control?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Looks like my first run will be a Triple Crown, solely by virtue of having a time mage. The Quick/Sap explot makes Omega and Shinryu easy, but dear sweet Christ was it boring.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How much of world 3 is optional? Can I just go into the rift right away, or do I have to go the pyramid and whatever other places to unseal the weapons? And if I can skip all that, should I bother unsealing the weapons for Berserker and Samurai (my two jobs)?

You must unseal at least one set of weapons if I remember right, and there's a couple of other minor things

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Nope. You need the first Tablet, since you need to clear the Pyramid to make the Airship available, but you never have to go to the Sealed Castle.

CapitalistPig posted:

So which blue magic can I just not get if I don't have control?

None. Some might be harder or require you to wait 'til later, but there are no Blue spells that have mandatory !Control.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hiRa posted:

So I can get my Knight to hit really hard, proc old, and turtle, however then Gilgamesh buffs himself and seems like old is reset because he starts eating me. I run out of potions and then it's a dps race, and I'm failing hard. level 20 too. Healing for 50hp per potion when he's doing 2-300 isn't going to help. I'm at a loss now.

edit: silence knife doesn't work either. I think I'm pretty stuck.

got any phoenix downs? you could try doing the cover trick against him once he buffs (keep everyone at low hp and use guard over and over with knight. you'll take no damage from physical hits which is most of his rotation). the only issue is gale cut and aera but if you can burn him down with everyone else before you get murdered you should be fine

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

At the very least you should get the rune axe and masamune. If you have any magic stat boosting job or a bard you can slap it's class ability on the Zerk for the stat boost so the axe hits harder, and masamune is just a really strong katana that lets you cast haste for free when you use it as an item, it owns.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

downside obviously being that if you get gale cut or an unlucky aera you're hosed but eh

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You have to go through the pyramid and beat Melusine, but other than that everything is optional. There's some good stuff in the other tablet dungeons, but with your team going through them might be a bit of a pain. As for the legendary weapons, you'll definitely want to pick up the Masamune, and you might as well grab the Assassin's Dagger and Rune Axe while you're at it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Sweetgrass posted:

At the very least you should get the rune axe and masamune. If you have any magic stat boosting job or a bard you can slap it's class ability on the Zerk for the stat boost so the axe hits harder, and masamune is just a really strong katana that lets you cast haste for free when you use it as an item, it owns.

I have three berserkers and a samurai, so no magic classes here (unless some samurai ability is magical for some reason).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Once you have the Airship, you can immediately head into the Rift.

That said, even if you won't use the weapons you'd unseal, at least go to Mirage (town in the forest a bit south of Crescent) and stock up on gear, magic, and Hermes Sandals.

Also yes, the Masamune and Rune Axe are incredible (the latter especially so if you have any way to increase the Berserker's magic score).

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Any advice for Atomos with my Ranger/Dancer/Dancer/Dragoon party?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

fruitpunch posted:

Any advice for Atomos with my Ranger/Dancer/Dancer/Dragoon party?

Other than hopefully having Rapid Fire already, uh... get in cahoots with a religious deity of some sort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Dragonatrix posted:

I think most people who do multiple runs already know about this, but for anyone that doesn't (and it is super easy to miss)...

Tycoon's top secret treasure that the Chancellor doesn't want YOU to know about!

its only 2 cottages so its not major or anything but it could be useful at some point

:stonk:

This ranks up there in the "Holy crap that's loving mindblowing that I never found that before" category, right near the hidden Phoenix Down at the Tycoon Meteor (though that one I actually found on my own, IIRC).

• Locked thread