Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Manticore posted:

I was too slow to post the news so here's a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQlF1JnS94

This is so great. This is exactly the game mode I've been waiting for.

Splatoon payload is gonna be good. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Great, another game mode I can't play with my friends.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Barnyard Protein posted:

your rank doesn't matter at all, don't worry about it going up or down

I want to be able to play it with friends which is not something you can do in ranked

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deviant posted:

Great, another game mode I can't play with my friends.

Maybe all the modes will rotate once there are more than 2

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Please remain fresh until August for your Friendship Update.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm interested to see what the track will be like for Saltspray, which isn't really a base-to-base kind of map. They'll probably add climbable ramps/walls to enter the enemy base, and have the track do a big arc so it doesn't leave too much of the map unused.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Haha I just noticed the Wacky Waving Tentacles Inflatable Tube Squid at the side of the skatepark :lol:

Just like the (sometimes) funny graffiti, I love the distracting funny poo poo that can make me get splatted from looking at it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone was asking if there was anyone on youtube playing the game that's mildly entertaining. He's uh, not youtube but guy named Ugliest Bread streams a poo poo ton of the game almost every day. He's kind of a tryhard but alright background noise.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It effects your mad gains though, and with Spykes prices you want those gains.

This is me, except im telling the good k/d playes to loving flank instead of killing a skuid and exploding themselves on a second skuid.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm interested to see what the track will be like for Saltspray, which isn't really a base-to-base kind of map. They'll probably add climbable ramps/walls to enter the enemy base, and have the track do a big arc so it doesn't leave too much of the map unused.

Probably from the highest part to the lowest bottom part right along the middle, but who knows really.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone was asking if there was anyone on youtube playing the game that's mildly entertaining. He's uh, not youtube but guy named Ugliest Bread streams a poo poo ton of the game almost every day. He's kind of a tryhard but alright background noise.

He hasn't done one super recently but Vinny from Vinesauce has quite a few episodes of him playing Splatoon on Vinesauce The Full Sauce on YT.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Poor inkling. She looks really sad in that last panel :(

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
Best part about this game is screw levels, gear and rank, be fresh, and do what you do. This game is truly unique compared to any shooter I've played since I was dialing up doom multi-player maps on my phone modem.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

OK, I think I got my gear set up just right - looking for opinions:

You can't see so clearly from the screenshot, but with the headgear, I have the following buffs:

Head:
Opening Gambit, Bomb Range Up, Quick Super Jump

Clothes:
Swim Speed Up, Defense Up, Damage Up, Ink Saver (Sub)

Shoes:
Bomb Sniffer, Ink Saver (Main), Ink Recovery Up, Defense Up

I'm pretty happy with this gear (with a few caveats) for the following reasons:
*Only one buff (defense) is subject to diminishing returns - everything else buff-wise isn't a repeat
*Bomb Sniffer has saved my bacon on more than one occasion
*Opening Gambit is da bomb

The caveats are:
*No "Run Speed Up", which I sorely miss with this weapon
*No Stealth Jump, no Ninja Squid. Nothing to hide what I'm up to.
*Not especially fresh.

Thoughts?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It actually takes three of a sub-perk to add up to the same power as a single main perk, so you shouldn't be worrying about diminishing returns until after you have that many.

In most cases, a single sub will have a negligible effect, so I think it's better to focus on stacking a few favourites up to 2/3.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

sarcastx posted:

Thoughts?

none of the abilities actually matter

stay fresh

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Faster respawn speed is one of the best abilities, you should get that. Combined with stealth jump you spend almost no time out of the fight.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Lemming posted:

Faster respawn speed is one of the best abilities, you should get that. Combined with stealth jump you spend almost no time out of the fight.

Good feedback. Does anyone know how Spike's re-roll works? Is it one slot or all three (four)? I presume you don't get to actually pick the buffs.

Another question:
Does anyone know if the hitbox is model based? I feel like sometimes my clothing decisions are getting me killed. Check out the comparison below to see what I mean.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Since we're doing gear check-ups, here's my favorite gear:

I'm more or less pleased with the abilities. All mains are good, and three Special Savers as subs + Tenacity are a nice combo. Recon is great for deciding where to throw my weight at. Speed is also essential, especially at the start. And ink resistance for some close quarter combat. (The grenade throw sub is kinda meh but you never know.)

But most importantly: I look hella fresh. :c00l:

sarcastx posted:

Does anyone know if the hitbox is model based? I feel like sometimes my clothing decisions are getting me killed. Check out the comparison below to see what I mean.

I think they're the same. You do stand out like a sore thumb in that samurai gear, tho'.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Spyke rerolls all of the sub abilities when you use his reroll ability. He does not touch the main ability at all. You do not get to pick the buffs. It rerolls the buffs from the same pool as they were originally rolled from, which means that the gear's brand affects what you get off of the reroll.

Also, for the most part, Damage Up is useless, because you can't go below a minimum number of hits to splat, which in the case of the Aerospray is 4.The only use that Damage Up has is to mitigate someone else's Defense Up. Also, if you ever decide to use a weapon that has something like the Inkzooka or Kraken on it, try using Special Duration Up. The extra time you get is quite helpful, and has made it so I've secured a few kills with kraken that I wouldn't have otherwise, and it lets me outlast bubblers as well. Finally, give Ink Resist a try, because Ink Resist is good.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I sort of disagree with using it for the Inkzooka, usually you want two or three shots and after that the guy you were gunning for is dead or has run away and now it's a liability.

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013
Suction bombs and burst bombs seem like they'll be pretty strong in the new game mode. I think I'll go assemble a nice fresh outfit with the throwing skill and ink saver sub for the occasion.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Splash Wall could be handy for the player riding the tower to shut out fire from one direction.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah splash wall will definitely be nice but precise grenade throws are gonna be the real pain for this mode. Nothing you can do about that other than getting the hell off the tower.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It'll probably be extremely difficult to setup a splash wall on the tower where you want it. Those things bounce like hell.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I guess you can throw one on the tower, but it requires some apt aiming - and not while riding it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Can't you just drop them at your feet like you can with a sprinkler?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Nope, it lands a set distance in front of you, doesn't matter how you tilt the camera

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Well, I finally managed to win a Ranked match with a four-Shooter team... by virtue(?) of my teammates doing pretty much nothing.

The other team had two Shooters and two Snipers, all of which were decimating my team but at the same time I was eating them alive. The snipers were so mad that they didn't even care about my teammates, they just aimed at the jerk with the bobble hat constantly.

The match ended quickly with a perfect and 6 kills under my belt... and only ONE kill among all of my teammates. They pretty must just hung back and observed my short rampage... though I'm not sure what else I could've expected from people who fire a Killer Wail directly at the floor at a corpse.

I'm not as happy as I should be. Yes, it means I'm getting better, but it also means I'm carrying my team, and I don't like carrying. Stop matching me with total incompetents, game!

friendship update when

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is why this game doesn't have voice chat.

I cannot wait for Tower Control, it looks like a blast.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deepshock posted:

He hasn't done one super recently but Vinny from Vinesauce has quite a few episodes of him playing Splatoon on Vinesauce The Full Sauce on YT.

Vinny is a good youtuber and streamer. I don't watch his streams, but he's the reason I got a Wii U and Splet.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

sarcastx posted:

OK, I think I got my gear set up just right - looking for opinions:

I've seen players get to A+ 99 with completely garbage gear. The stats might make the game slightly easier (I love ninja squid) but it all comes down to skill.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lmao. Reminds me of Resident Evil Outbreak back on the PS2.

"Kevin"
"Kevin"
"Kevin"
"Can I have it, pretty please?"
"Kevin"
"No."
"Kevin"
"No."
"Kevin"
"Help me"
"No."

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think a lot of people are going to die trying to jump onto the tower in Bluefin.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ZeButler posted:

Also, for the most part, Damage Up is useless, because you can't go below a minimum number of hits to splat, which in the case of the Aerospray is 4.

How does Damage Up help for the Blaster / Luna Blaster? Since you're more likely to hit with splash damage than with direct hits. Is it possible to bring the splash damage down to a one hit kill?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It barely helps. I tested it out and a main damage up only adds 9 to the splash which is pitiful.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Manuel Calavera posted:

Vinny is a good youtuber and streamer. I don't watch his streams, but he's the reason I got a Wii U and Splet.

I thought the game concept didn't sound like it would work so I ignored it until I saw him stream the test fire. I preordered it as soon as he was done.

EVERY SPLET BRINGS ME ONE STEP CLOSER TO GOD

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I don't know if it was mentioned but the Treehouse is showcasting the new Tower Control mode in just half hour's time.

Too bad I have work tomorrow.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I want that 8-bit squid hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Not a Children posted:

I want that 8-bit squid hat

Squidvader hat was really common first week of splatting. Dont see it around anymore with every nerd wearing ugly stat clownsuits

• Locked thread