Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

My wife complained enough at the Apple Store that they replaced her iPhone 6 for free due it freezing up on her a lot. The diagnostic showed "more than usual" crashes and recommended that she start this replacement phone completely fresh rather than restoring it from the backup we took.

She's decided that this is also the perfect time to start using a new Apple ID, and that she wants her contacts, SMS, and photos from her last backup. What's going to be the most painless way to get this stuff back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
If she backed it up with a computer she should be able to restore from a backup while changing her Apple ID.

If it's an iCloud backup then that might be a little more tricky.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Why use a new Apple ID? ALL her purchases from iTunes or the App Store are going to be linked to the old one. It's gonna be a pain in the rear end.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

She can't get into the original email address she set up the account with, so she can't switch the region of her Apple store (originally set to S.Korea) or do any sort of account management.

She doesn't have many purchases, and many of those purchases she hasn't used in a while, so she's more eager to set up a new account set to the correct region linked to an email account she can access.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
What times are iOS updates generally released?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Super Dude posted:

What times are iOS updates generally released?

Not sure if there is a set time but tomorrow it's like 9m PST for the firmware and 10am PST for Apple Music Thingy.

[Edit] sorry 8am and 9am respectively.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 30, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Fingers crossed Apple Music isn't locked by region and I can access songs that aren't on the UK store.

...Who am I kidding? :(

edit: Has it been announced whether the 3-month trial is starting from today or starting from the first time you launch Apple Music? I'm not normally big on radio but I think I'll eat up a bunch of my monthly data at 5pm GMT today when Beats 1 goes live just to be part of the launch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Fingers crossed Apple Music isn't locked by region and I can access songs that aren't on the UK store.

edit: Has it been announced whether the 3-month trial is starting from today or starting from the first time you launch Apple Music? I'm not normally big on radio but I think I'll eat up a bunch of my monthly data at 5pm GMT today when Beats 1 goes live just to be part of the launch.
I'm sure you still have to opt-in to the trial.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Today. It's not the usual free trial, more like the service launches today and changes to require a subscription 3 months from now.

roofus619
Dec 7, 2005

Brain eating? Hmmmmm, That's pretty unusual
I guess I'll find out myself soon enough anyways, but does anybody know if they've finally changed the way albums are listed for a particular artist yet (I.e. All songs from all albums shown at once instead of showing a list of albums)?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

roofus619 posted:

I guess I'll find out myself soon enough anyways, but does anybody know if they've finally changed the way albums are listed for a particular artist yet (I.e. All songs from all albums shown at once instead of showing a list of albums)?

I think someone asked this a while back and the response was that it depended on how many albums the artist has?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
8.4 is up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Huh. Shows up on my phone but not my iPad (3).

A reboot later and now it shows up.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 30, 2015

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think someone asked this a while back and the response was that it depended on how many albums the artist has?

I have the beta installed and just checked, and this seems to pretty much be the case.

For one artist I have two songs from two different albums, and it lists them in more or less the same way as it has since iOS 7. If I tap on the album title I can drill down to just one album at a time though.

For other artists where I have a whole lot of music it works more like the pre-iOS 7 days where it gives you a list of albums to choose from.

roofus619
Dec 7, 2005

Brain eating? Hmmmmm, That's pretty unusual

Diabolik900 posted:

I have the beta installed and just checked, and this seems to pretty much be the case.

For one artist I have two songs from two different albums, and it lists them in more or less the same way as it has since iOS 7. If I tap on the album title I can drill down to just one album at a time though.

For other artists where I have a whole lot of music it works more like the pre-iOS 7 days where it gives you a list of albums to choose from.

That's a relief. Navigating through discographies on my phone has been a huge pain in the rear end. Thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SO!

If you have 1-2 albums from an artist, it will give a list of all the songs in those albums.

If you have 3 or more, it gives you a list of albums which you then tap on to view individually.

Also, starting Apple Music for the first time is a lot like opening Beats for the first time except it's white instead of black.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Anybody know if you sign up for the monthly membership does it automatically start a free trial before it charges you? I rejected the free trial when it first booted for whatever reason now I don't see anywhere I can sign up for the free trial, just a membership.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Browing My Music took a while to figure out but my previous album issue is fixed and everything works. Time to give Music a shot for these 3 months.

Album list is sorted by artists by default but you can change it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CancerStick posted:

Anybody know if you sign up for the monthly membership does it automatically start a free trial before it charges you? I rejected the free trial when it first booted for whatever reason now I don't see anywhere I can sign up for the free trial, just a membership.

It specifically says they won't charge you until the trial is over.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I think the way to go is to "subscribe" then cancel auto renew?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

I don't think you have any other option.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does Apple Music make itunes radio go away?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No, but I think it's just "Radio" now.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Nah all the old algorithmic stations still exist--they're just adding Beats 1 that is organically curated in the age of mechanical reproduction. Our most personal (way of ignoring everyone around you) yet.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Good to see Beats 1 killing it with Music for Airports though.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Random feature of Apple Music that I wasn't anticipating: integration with other third-party apps. Stuff like Genius and WhoSampled previously only worked with things that were in your music library, if you were listening on Spotify you were out of luck. Now it works with stuff you're streaming on Apple Music as well. Minor bonus but pretty cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, but you can literally sign up then cancel and you'll keep your trial until it's over.

Also I got a $4.99 credit for switching from Beats, so it's good that they're prorating.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've already come across one of my favourite bands whose albums you can buy on iTunes that aren't available for streaming. And the same with some songs that I've bought here and there. So far I really don't see myself paying £120 ($188) a year for this with a lot of the stuff I looked for already missing. I kinda wish they had a free version like Spotify, I don't think I would've minded the ads that much.

Edit: and another of my fav bands recently whose albums I bought on iTunes don't even appear, meaning I'd have to keep paying on top of the subscription when the new album is out. I hate to say it but I'm really underwhelmed so far.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 30, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So as far as I can tell, there is no region locking on Apple Music. No VPNs needed, it will just use the account your logged in as no matter where you are. So my Japanese account works here in America, as long as you can pay for it. That's pretty sweet.

Also if you're in the iOS 9 beta, the radio functions started working after I registered on an 8.4 device (Of course, that could just be happenstance and timing on my part. :v:). Beats 1 is also working if you tap the logo. I guess they are going to drop a new beta at some point with the updated app.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

CancerStick posted:

You don't get charged till it renews AND you can (and probably should) turn off auto-renew.

So far I'm way more impressed by the Canadian Indie station than I am by any of these playlists that are curated off my supposedly "favorite" bands and genres.

Beats1 is just...ugh...it listens like generic-Local-VirginRadio station...with the occasional odd choice like Brian Eno.

EDIT: Interesting! The more stuff (even your own stuff) you listen to, the better the "For You" option seems to get. I guess I was under the impression it was fixed based off of the initial choices.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 30, 2015

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

I've already come across one of my favourite bands whose albums you can buy on iTunes that aren't available for streaming. And the same with some songs that I've bought here and there. So far I really don't see myself paying £120 ($188) a year for this with a lot of the stuff I looked for already missing. I kinda wish they had a free version like Spotify, I don't think I would've minded the ads that much.

Edit: and another of my fav bands recently whose albums I bought on iTunes don't even appear, meaning I'd have to keep paying on top of the subscription when the new album is out. I hate to say it but I'm really underwhelmed so far.

Uhhh, so it's not the whole iTunes library? I was considering buying it but gently caress that unless it changes. No reason not to check it out while its a free trial I guess but gently caress that noise.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
Why do I have to use the loving iBooks app now to listen audiobooks?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bleh Maestro posted:

Uhhh, so it's not the whole iTunes library? I was considering buying it but gently caress that unless it changes. No reason not to check it out while its a free trial I guess but gently caress that noise.
No, it's not the full iTunes library did you not miss the whole fuss with Taylor Swift?

No streaming service has the equivalent of the full iTunes library.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Bleh Maestro posted:

Nope, definitely not the full library. Admittedly the stuff I've looked for was a British rock group that didn't last long (Sikth - a few singles but none of their albums appear), a Japanese electronic band (Charisma.com - nothing at all) or a huge Japanese pop star (Namie Amuro - also nothing at all) but at least for my tastes, I definitely would not be saving any money at all by subscribing rather than just buying everything I want outright.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
During the first song on Beats 1 I could press a little "+" button to add the song to my library, but now I'm not seeing anything like that. Seems like I can only create a new station or share the current station. Can't even press the heart button. Is this what it's like for everyone else or am I doing something wrong?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
How do I turn off auto-renew? This interface is pretty clunky on iOS. I can't get it to work on iTunes yet.

e: Eh, looks like the auto-renew bullshit can only be changed from within iTunes, and I can't get it to work due to what I think is a work firewall.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Bleh Maestro posted:

No. Streaming licenses are completely different agreements than digital distribution licenses.

Same reason not the entire Amazon Prime or Netflix selection of movies are available for streaming.

I guarantee you that Apple Music will have the largest selection of available tracks for streaming, so if you're complaining about everything not being available then maybe a subscription streaming service isn't for you.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Michael Scott posted:

How do I turn off auto-renew? This interface is pretty clunky on iOS. I can't get it to work on iTunes yet.
Hopefully you'll be able to figure it out sometime in the next three months. :ohdear:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

I got an email telling me I'd subscribed and there was a manage subscriptions link in there. Followed the link and flipped off auto renew.

Its not out for iTunes yet, the update is later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I mentioned this in the iOS apps thread, but we've got several threads talking Apple Music. Someone please make a dedicated thread. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but it's weird to me that people are so apprehensive to make new threads.