Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

JBark posted:

A house in Melbourne just sold last month for 930K profit, 8 months after the previous sale. 2.23M to 3.16M, no renos done or anything like that.

That's what, a ~60% yearly return?

there is literally no comparison between Ladner and Melbourne

It can't even be called a suburb - it's a farming town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Cultural Imperial posted:

All this talk of financial disaster got me walking around with a loving boner all day.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/052817e0-1e49-11e5-ab0f-6bb9974f25d0.html

Basically we're all loving dead.

Lessons learned from the 2008 credit crisis and real estate bubble: literally none.

Not even 10 years have passed.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
GDP - 0.1%

Suck ittttttt

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

TD's Tulk on Canadian GDP print: "the energy hit is likely larger and more sustained" #cdnecon cc: @MikePMoffatt http://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/615870197312806912/photo/1

https://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/615870197312806912

gently caress Alberta gently caress Canada and gently caress you

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/canadian-towns-offer-free-land-to-lure-new-residents-1.3132300

quote:

Large parts of Canada were settled thanks to a government policy of giving away land to anyone willing to show up and farm it.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JBark posted:

A house in Melbourne just sold last month for 930K profit, 8 months after the previous sale. 2.23M to 3.16M, no renos done or anything like that.

That's what, a ~60% yearly return?

More, depending on how leveraged the purchase was.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

JawKnee posted:

the point wasn't the increase it was that the vancouver housing madness has pushed out past the suburbs to the hinterlands. ladner is about as distant from vancouver as langley or maple ridge. if ladner homes start going for a million plus like in richmond, burnaby, new westminster and the tri cities then surrey, pitt meadows, abbotsford and squamish won't be far behind

ok maybe not surrey

Mantle
May 15, 2004

It's probably more like 500% return because they probably leveraged the gently caress out of it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

the talent deficit posted:

the point wasn't the increase it was that the vancouver housing madness has pushed out past the suburbs to the hinterlands. ladner is about as distant from vancouver as langley or maple ridge. if ladner homes start going for a million plus like in richmond, burnaby, new westminster and the tri cities then surrey, pitt meadows, abbotsford and squamish won't be far behind

ok maybe not surrey

I get that. I was reinforcing that the increase is insane because of the location. My folks house in Tsawwassen has seen a similar increase from when they bought it 20 years back.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JawKnee posted:

It was actually founded just to delay buses coming from the ferries by 10min or so. They built a middle of nowhere "bus exchange" in a farmer's field because the farmer hoped to make it big selling produce to people waiting on the bus thinking "why the gently caress did the bus just get off the highway to do a stupid dead-end loop to this field?" but that didn't work, so he sold some more of his land to build houses hoping they'd use the exchange. To this day not a single person has ever gotten on or off the bus at the Ladner Exchange from the ferry bus, but ancient pacts and treaties require the bus system to keep wasting everyone's time.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The immediate reasons that come to mind for surging prices in Ladner/Delta/Tsawwassen.

1. Spillover from the outrageous prices in Westside/West Vancouver.

The effects of property value spikes in select neighbourhoods are broad, and cascade through the region. West side sellers with pockets full of cash are pushing up prices in East Van, which affects neighbouring areas and so forth. Prices rise region wide.

2. The first batch of millennials are looking around for detached housing, adding to demand.

We may be seeing the affects of millennials hitting their 30s and having kids. There’s certainly nothing affordable in Vancouver for a two child household so at some point we’re going to see millennials buying in the valley, no doubt with help from their parents leveraging their million plus houses. (I have friends that recently moved to Beach Grove Tsawwassen)

3. Pure property speculation play assuming Ladner/Delta/Tsawwassen as the next “affordable” bedroom community for Vancouver.

Seemingly learning nothing from the overbuilt New Port Mann, the BC Liberals recently floated a trial balloon that the new Massey Bridge would be 10 lanes wide. If the Transit Referendum fails (news expected by the end of this week btw) there is no real plan B for transit growth and the Metro Vancouver Regional Plan will be impossible to follow. The default Liberal favoured path of massive highway network expansion and car oriented development will win the day (no we don’t get to vote on this).

The idea that the Liberals are setting the stage to dismantle the agricultural land reserve and open up Delta for development seems less and less like a tin foil hat theory.

Gordon Price has a few good thoughts on “what happens next” in the No victory scenario

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Brannock posted:

I will make the assumption that a large majority of BC immigrants are Chinese and also the assumption that China has become a more attractive place to live in since the 1980s. The drop in immigration to BC, then, may possibly still be outweighed by the decrease in Chinese emigration. Is this implausible?

There were virtually no Chinese in Vancouver before the mid 90s, and only Hongers until the 2000s.They have since moved back to HK since they hate Mainlanders more than anyone.

Mainlanders move here to ensure (in their mind) that they get to keep their wealth permanently. So as long as they fear everything being taken away in China, and have something to have taken away, they will continue to come here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope all the Chinese hiding their ill-gotten wealth here out of paranoid of losing it at home end up losing it all in a Canadian real-estate crash while China putters along fine without them.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the point wasn't the increase it was that the vancouver housing madness has pushed out past the suburbs to the hinterlands. ladner is about as distant from vancouver as langley or maple ridge.
Not true. Commuting by car from Ladner to downtown is about 30% shorter than Langley or Maple Ridge, and 50% shorter if you're on transit. It's a much more walkable community as well.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My mom grew up in Maple Ridge in the fifties. When I was a kid in the early 90s and we'd go visit her old friends frequently she would bemoan how it was all townhouses and strip malls where farmsteads used to be. I can't imagine what it's like today.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

I hope all the Chinese hiding their ill-gotten wealth here out of paranoid of losing it at home end up losing it all in a Canadian real-estate crash while China putters along fine without them.

:agreed:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

My mom grew up in Maple Ridge in the fifties. When I was a kid in the early 90s and we'd go visit her old friends frequently she would bemoan how it was all townhouses and strip malls where farmsteads used to be. I can't imagine what it's like today.

I'm old enough to remember when places like Port Coquitlam was a clear cut and Surrey and Richmond were farmland. When people bitch about lack of skytrain in Surrey in blows my mind because I still think of it as the edge of civilization.

Baronjutter posted:

Realistically they've hedged their bets and have millions worth of assets in both countries, plus Australia and others. Rich people always win.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm old enough to remember when places like Port Coquitlam was a clear cut and Surrey and Richmond were farmland. When people bitch about lack of skytrain in Surrey in blows my mind because I still think of it as the edge of civilization.

Realistically they've hedged their bets and have millions worth of assets in both countries, plus Australia and others. Rich people always win.

We'll have to burn the world to make sure we get them all.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Baronjutter posted:

It was actually founded just to delay buses coming from the ferries by 10min or so. They built a middle of nowhere "bus exchange" in a farmer's field because the farmer hoped to make it big selling produce to people waiting on the bus thinking "why the gently caress did the bus just get off the highway to do a stupid dead-end loop to this field?" but that didn't work, so he sold some more of his land to build houses hoping they'd use the exchange. To this day not a single person has ever gotten on or off the bus at the Ladner Exchange from the ferry bus, but ancient pacts and treaties require the bus system to keep wasting everyone's time.

I don't know whether to believe this or not. Knowing BC, it's probably more likely to be true than not.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Baronjutter posted:

We'll have to burn the world to make sure we get them all.

As a temporarily embarrassed millionaire I hope you don't.

Also my wife just got NZ citizenship, time to gently caress off to middle earth where real estate is still sane!

quote:

The floodgates are set to open for Chinese buyers to pour US$10.9 billion into New Zealand real estate as restrictions on privately held capital are eased, according to a new report.

The report from real estate listings website Juwai.com, with 2.5 million properties and businesses for sale, studied the effects of the Chinese government's second phase of its Qualified Domestic Individual Investor (QDII2) programme to allow its citizens to buy overseas property.

Andrew Taylor, Juwai.com's co-chief executive, said rich Chinese were drawn to New Zealand.

"Juwai.com projects that the pilot program will enable US$11 billion of new Chinese money to flow into New Zealand's real estate market. That's based on wealthy Chinese investing 10 per cent of their assets into international property, including commercial. It's also based on NZ getting about 3.3 per cent of that property-specific investment, as it has in the past," he said.

Taylor encouraged New Zealand to be welcoming.

"Key steps that New Zealand can take to attract Chinese investment are making improvements to the education system and increasing the number of direct flights to China," he said.

"There is intense competition for Chinese investment dollars. New Zealand isn't the only country in the world whose economy is puttering along and that needs the impetus of foreign investment to get things going."

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11469949

Son of a bitch!!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Every time I read "Chinese Investment" I remember the time I saw a frozen vomit covered turd in the street when I lived in China, and the old gag reflex acts up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao, acting as if attracting mainland chinese is some sort of blessing.

Hope they like women using ipads at a bar.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Lexicon posted:

I don't know whether to believe this or not. Knowing BC, it's probably more likely to be true than not.

it's pretty close except sometimes (when it's not a weekend, gently caress those crowds) i get off the ferry bus at ladner exchange to go visit my parents. sometimes i'm the only person on the bus! it's like the world's biggest limo

Mantle
May 15, 2004

it's pretty close except sometimes (when it's not a weekend, gently caress those crowds) i get off the ferry bus at ladner exchange to go visit my parents. sometimes i'm the only person on the bus! it's like the world's biggest limo

If a two door, RR drivetrain car with 1000hp isn't a supercar, I don't know what is!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Femtosecond posted:

2. The first batch of millennials are looking around for detached housing, adding to demand.

Is that where we're at now? I thought I was on the oldest end of that lovely loving generation, at worst, and I still have 4 years before I hit 30. I thought I was supposed to be Gen Y or something...

Thank god I haven't reproduced, can you even imagine how hosed up my kids would be if I had them right now?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's so very hot. I have all windows open and fans on and it's still 26 degrees in my apartment. Anyone who says Calgary doesn't need air conditioning can take a long suck on my rear end in a top hat. All my windows seem to be carefully engineered as to not admit an air conditioner of any kind, too...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Is that where we're at now? I thought I was on the oldest end of that lovely loving generation, at worst, and I still have 4 years before I hit 30. I thought I was supposed to be Gen Y or something...

Thank god I haven't reproduced, can you even imagine how hosed up my kids would be if I had them right now?

Gen Y are millennials, who are commonly thought to begin at ~1980 and continue to ~9/11.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Put your feet into a little dishwashing tub of tap water, that's how we do AC in northern Europe.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Up here in Edmonton we do a little of manning the gently caress up and cracking open an ice cold beer. Fans near a window with a bowl of ice water directly in front of it is nice too.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

PT6A posted:

It's so very hot. I have all windows open and fans on and it's still 26 degrees in my apartment. Anyone who says Calgary doesn't need air conditioning can take a long suck on my rear end in a top hat. All my windows seem to be carefully engineered as to not admit an air conditioner of any kind, too...

So I'm back In vancouver. Got another subsided film gig, so whateves...

Never noticed that most of the new condos in Vancouver have nothing more than a few electric baseboard heaters for temperature control. The place I'm in now was built 3 years ago and the units range from 500k to 1.8M and there's no AC. The lobby has a bunch of Home Depot fans to try to keep the air moving.

So what happened? Greed? It seems if you get a place built in the 80s and 90s you got ac and central air, but anything recent for the most part you are stuck with opening a window and setting up box fans.

Who spends 6-7 figures on a unit in a building without hvac? Amazing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My father in law is officially out of money and E.I. after being let go from out West.

Over the last couple months he'd been talking about how he couldn't wait to get back out there, he watched a thing on the news about how prices are going back up and how workers would be back soon, etc.

He also likes to tell the anecdote about he somehow ended up in a situation where he could talk to some Higher Up and told them about how all the TFW's they had on staff was The Wrong Way, since all their money goes OUT of Canada and doesn't help the economy, and how the Higher Up said "Huh, I hadn't thought of it like that."

He likes to tell that story because he feels he taught the young rich and powerful guy something.

I don't know what to tell him, so I just nod and say nothing.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Big K of Justice posted:

Never noticed that most of the new condos in Vancouver have nothing more than a few electric baseboard heaters for temperature control. The place I'm in now was built 3 years ago and the units range from 500k to 1.8M and there's no AC. The lobby has a bunch of Home Depot fans to try to keep the air moving.

So what happened? Greed? It seems if you get a place built in the 80s and 90s you got ac and central air, but anything recent for the most part you are stuck with opening a window and setting up box fans.

I hadn't really thought about how odd it is to have the prices creep up so high but be lacking that amenity. I guess part of it could be that those units weren't thought of as premium, but the market pushed the price up. At some point I'd assume some developer will add AC to their new building and then they'll all new buildings will have to add it.

Your comment that stuff in the 80s and 90s would have had AC is new to me. I thought basically all Vancouver housing usually lacked AC because it only ever gets hot at night less than 2 weeks and people just deal with it.*

That actually is really weird that these premium units have high end furnishings otherwise, but are lacking the AC amenity. I guess part of it could be the general momentum of the way things have always been done in Vancouver but it definitely could be greed. In general developers will cut corners every possible place, and that usually ends up being in places where the buyer can't see, and so you have badly built buildings with high end european faucets.

No AC doesn't seem to be a big concern in low rise buildings that aren't glass wall, as they usually have big windows you can open wide, but it seems crazy that those glass towers in downtown would not have AC. I do know that my friends' old place was on the 20th floor of the Taylor building downtown, which I think was probably late 90s early 00s, and it did not have AC. The thing was like a greenhouse. Only had a tiny window because of course they don't want anything falling 20 stories.

* Similarly New Zealand and LA houses are built terribly for insulation because it doesn't usually get cold, so when it does get cold it's insanely bad.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Big K of Justice posted:

I have heard that the downtown Vancouver power substations aren't up to the task of every condo unit having AC, so they cannot be built with them. It sounded like BS when I heard it, but no condos there are built with AC and that can't just be all the developers cutting cost in the same way.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

If people had the option to run AC, they'd never turn it off and it would ruin our bid to become the greenest city.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

AC was never standard in Vancouver or even needed until the last decade or so. It's a high end feature. The only building near me that has it is right next to highway 1 and heavy industry. If it didn't everyone would die of lung cancer.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Are there any recommended sources for getting a basic grasp on the things this thread discusses - housing markets, mortgages, interest rates, bubbles etc? I've never been the economics type at all and sometimes things in this thread go over my head. I check investopedia and wikipedia when I'm confused, but I feel I need something consolidated and aimed at a novice. More generally, are there good sources for learning how to manage your money in terms of saving and investing and I don't know what else?

There's a lot of talk here about how lovely things are (or will be) and how dumb people are. So what should a young, working university grad be doing these days? I read this thread and think "I guess I'll keep renting and save up a larger downpayment until the market cools" but, again, I feel I don't have enough knowledge to know and I'm sure I'm missing something.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Shofixti posted:

There's a lot of talk here about how lovely things are (or will be) and how dumb people are. So what should a young, working university grad be doing these days? I read this thread and think "I guess I'll keep renting and save up a larger downpayment until the market cools" but, again, I feel I don't have enough knowledge to know and I'm sure I'm missing something.
No that's pretty much it. Spend less than you earn, pay off debt, avoid new debt including mortgages. Let go of any desire you may have to own real estate. Maybe one day it will be within your grasp, but until then just be responsible with your own life and don't worry yourself over uncontrollable economic forces.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shofixti posted:

Are there any recommended sources for getting a basic grasp on the things this thread discusses - housing markets, mortgages, interest rates, bubbles etc? I've never been the economics type at all and sometimes things in this thread go over my head. I check investopedia and wikipedia when I'm confused, but I feel I need something consolidated and aimed at a novice. More generally, are there good sources for learning how to manage your money in terms of saving and investing and I don't know what else?

Irrational Exuberance by Shiller is my favorite book on bubble madness.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
AC is building code mandatory in Richmond for large strata buildings, as a noise abatement strategy (ie, people can leave their windows shut, meaning you have fewer noise complaints).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Where do people get the idea that opening windows fixes the heat problem in large buildings? It may work for a house, since you can open windows on more than one side to get airflow through the house, but in an apartment building with positive pressure, it's nearly impossible to get cool air in from the outside, and if you do, it's a wasted effort later in the day because hot air from outside is being pushed into your apartment through the HVAC system.