Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
VR will never take off with consoles as long as it is some peripheral add on device.

Didn't Microsoft say that Hololens would cost MORE than a console? It was hard enough to companies to support a $10 motion plus dongle on a system with over 100 Million consoles sold at least 1/3 of those with the add on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

People don't even like putting on little lightweight glasses to watch 3D movies at home. In order to really take off, new entertainment tech concepts can't demand people constantly wear an uncomfortable helmet, or require a specific size/shape of open living room space. It's gotta be convenient and comfortable, and Miyamoto's right that it should be communal too. And that's before even getting into the price.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Don't console makers love nickle and diming gamers with accessories all the time though? Nintendo was the biggest offender in that respect.

Also, I'm real glad consoles have internal storage now and basically did away with the need to buy a memory card or you couldn't save your game, I hated always having to buy those things. Microsoft selling the 360 and charging extra for the hard drive was a pretty dick move though.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 30, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Don't console makers love nickle and diming gamers with accessories all the time though? Nintendo was the biggest offender in that respect.

Accessories have a huge profit margin for console manufacturers, especially as the system gets older and the accessories get cheaper to make.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Also, I'm real glad consoles have internal storage now and basically did away with the need to buy a memory card or you couldn't save your game, I hated always having to buy those things. Microsoft selling the 360 and charging extra for the hard drive was a pretty dick move though.

The Vita uses memory cards unfortunately (and they are way overpriced)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo sure does like their dozens of controller variants (and hopefully the NX does something about the controller bloat by reducing to one or two types), but none of their controllers have been a big clunky helmet.

None of the individual controller designs they have going on right now demand much of the user, it's just that there's too many of them and the compatibility with Wii U games is a terrible venn diagram.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

People don't even like putting on little lightweight glasses to watch 3D movies at home. In order to really take off, new entertainment tech concepts can't demand people constantly wear an uncomfortable helmet, or require a specific size/shape of open living room space. It's gotta be convenient and comfortable, and Miyamoto's right that it should be communal too. And that's before even getting into the price.

People don't like putting on glasses to watch lovely looking 3d effects. Full VR is a little more interesting.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

And a lot more expensive, and a lot more demanding, and a lot less of a group experience.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Controllers seem to be the only aspect of backwards compatibility that people complain about. I don't get it. Sure, it sucks that there are games that don't use the last-gen controllers, but they are hardly a majority in my experience.
Also, why are there so many posts making GBS threads on the gamepad? Off-TV, asynchronous gameplay, and same-console multiplayer on separate screens are my favorite things about the console.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 30, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'll never understand the derision. Though for FUCKS sake use a better screen and a better touchscreen next time.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Backwards compatibility for controllers is nice to implement where possible, but there still needs to be a single option you can point to and say "This is what you get to play everything; this is what you buy extras of for multiplayer", and the Wii U doesn't have a singular answer for that. The Pro Controller almost fits that role, but several big games ignored it early on.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

greatn posted:

I'll never understand the derision. Though for FUCKS sake use a better screen and a better touchscreen next time.

I don't understand the issue with either of those points either, unless you're one of those people that complains that a 4" screen in your lap isn't as sharp or detailed as the 42" TV on your wall, or if there's something you feel would have been improved with capacitive touch or multitouch or something.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I played the entirety of several games solely on the gamepad and can confirm without a doubt that the gamepad is very cool and good

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yes, 720p would look remarkably better on a 4 inch screen in your hand than 480p especially given it is only about a foot from your face. And capacitive touch would open up many more gameplay possibilities than single touch.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yeah single touch really dragged a lot of games down like

uh

hmmm

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The current ecosystem of games on mobile phones doesn't suggest to me that there's enough gameplay possibilities to make it worth putting the money or effort toward that, as opposed to making it a supplement to the hardware controls that already exist. I could very well be wrong and there might be some amazing and revolutionary phone game that I've missed among the shityards of Bejeweled and PAD clones.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kaubocks posted:

I played the entirety of several games solely on the gamepad and can confirm without a doubt that the gamepad is very cool and good

Yeah, I didn't have an HD tv for a while so I had to play on the gamepad. I played both Bayonettas on the gamepad and they looked fantastic. Honestly when I played Bayo 2 on the HD TV later it actually felt like kind of a downgrade because of it being upscaled from 720p. The smoothness of everything went away. I wish Nintendo would make everything 1080p like they did Smash

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

greatn posted:

Yes, 720p would look remarkably better on a 4 inch screen in your hand than 480p especially given it is only about a foot from your face. And capacitive touch would open up many more gameplay possibilities than single touch.

And capacitive is inaccurate for anything thinner than a sausage, so...

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the ideal would be a capacitive screen, with a capacitive stylus that the device can differentiate from your finger if necessary. Miiverse drawing makes the stylus really valuable to the Gamepad, but it's also kind of a pain with resistive because you can't rest your hand on the screen at all.

A capacitive screen would also have afforded the Gamepad a sleeker and easier-to-clean design, with the screen surface flush to the controller surface.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wii U is easily Nintendo's best console since the SNES. But I don't think it's surprising or a bad thing for the NX to replace it, five years is a good lifespan for a console.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
One thing to keep in mind is that Nintendo started talking about the NX really really early. It's not going to be ready for release for ages yet.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Disagree, I think 5 years is too short, but I, too, am looking forward to the NX.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
We'll see the NX in late 2017 or maybe even 2018, so there's hope for one last batch of Wii U games after Zelda U and i'm pretty happy with that.

Biggest excitement on the NX is Nintendo finally properly figuring out HD games after the hiccups with the Wii U, so a more consistent release schedule should happen and some very gorgeous looking games.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

I love love love Miyamoto but sometimes it kinda feels like he's the guy keeping Nintendo one foot in the past. Not saying Nintendo MUST do VR to be successful or anything like that, but to just go "no its dumb" instead of "hey, could be cool" is a losing strategy imo. That Edge interview he gave last year where he arrogantly dismissed a ton of things Sony/Microsoft were doing wasn't a good look.

I dunno, Sony and MS spent last gen chasing the motion control revolution and look where that got em. I doubt Nintendo hasn't internally evaluated VR if they're also looking at circular handhelds and 3D screens and vitality sensors.

I guess I see so many whines about waggle controls and crappy graphics (VR processing requirements) and Nintendo being too cute that I'm surprised to see an opposite opinion that they're too close-minded. If VR doesn't take off they're gold, and if it does they'd have a tough go vs. Morpheus + Oculus + Steam anyway...

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

greatn posted:

Really enjoying Earthbound Beginnings so far. Just got to Magicant. The grinding has honestly not been that bad, once I reached fifth or sixth level and bought a wooden bat I was basically set. Also the encounter rate is much lower than advertised. Sometimes it will happen every couple of steps for a couple of encounters, but usually I walk or run a pretty good distance before another encounter happens.

You can just call it Mother 1.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The game's title screen just says Earthbound so I'm gonna call it Earthbound.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

jivjov posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that Nintendo started talking about the NX really really early. It's not going to be ready for release for ages yet.

That's exactly what they did with the Wii U though. They got all excited about the new weird gimmick device they made and then just sold it right away without any actual software; had they waited a year before releasing the U until they had games to ship it would have taken off immediately. Maybe give them more time to put better tech in it as well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

greatn posted:

Really enjoying Earthbound Beginnings so far. Just got to Magicant. The grinding has honestly not been that bad, once I reached fifth or sixth level and bought a wooden bat I was basically set. Also the encounter rate is much lower than advertised. Sometimes it will happen every couple of steps for a couple of encounters, but usually I walk or run a pretty good distance before another encounter happens.

Legend has it that the difficulty and encounter rate of the original being as bad as it was was because of some aniti-piracy thing that emulating it was tripping. I've no idea if that's actually true or not though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Excels posted:

That's exactly what they did with the Wii U though. They got all excited about the new weird gimmick device they made and then just sold it right away without any actual software; had they waited a year before releasing the U until they had games to ship it would have taken off immediately. Maybe give them more time to put better tech in it as well.

That's not really what happened. They released the Wii U a year and a half after revealing it, not the same year. In fact, they took longer between gens than usual (they almost always release systems 5 years apart, but the Wii U took 6).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think oculus and Morpheus et al will sell moderately well, in the end moving probably about as many units as the WiiU, which is good for a brand new technology that's largely interested with limited support. It's the second generation of consumer VR tech 5 to 7years later that will probably really take off, and if Nintendo hops in that will be when they do it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

That's not really what happened. They released the Wii U a year and a half after revealing it, not the same year. In fact, they took longer between gens than usual (they almost always release systems 5 years apart, but the Wii U took 6).

so basically they had a year and a half and still had no software to sell with it?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

We'll see the NX in late 2017 or maybe even 2018, so there's hope for one last batch of Wii U games after Zelda U and i'm pretty happy with that.

According to this fully qualified rumour website, we may see the NX as early as 2016.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/game/nintendo-nx-release-date-price-specs-uk-3608381/

quote:

With Iwata stating that more information about the new console wouldn’t be released until next year, we’re assuming that the NX will have a 2016 launch. Why? Simply because it looks like the Wii U isn’t doing as well as Nintendo had hoped, and it gives the company a chance to generate some interest around the new console before launch, without waiting so long that the hype dies down again.

So case closed.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
That's not a rumor that's an assumption.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Maybe it's not a rumour yet because not enough people visited my link.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

so basically they had a year and a half and still had no software to sell with it?

They literally had no idea what it was like to make HD games and the extra resources required, and at the same time were in the middle of an organizational restructure and moving their offices to an entirely new building in (I think) a new city.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Excels posted:

Modern software takes an incredibly long time to develop to the standards that Nintendo holds themselves to. If the 3DS didn't need as much first party support to build it's library to the point that it picked up widespread adoption then I would imagine we'd have seen more sooner.

This is also why it's funny to me that people are expecting the next hand held to be HD. A lot of the companies that are putting out software for the 3DS are the sort that are not interested in having to develop HD assets for their games. You saw the same thing with the Wii getting a bunch of JRPGs.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
That's still entirely speculation based off the Zelda release date.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It'll be 2017, the developers need time to work with the devkit too and that's going to include indies this time around now that they're a big part of the Nintendo ecosystem. The Revolution was first revealed a year and a half before release, the 3DS was first revealed a year and a half before release, the NX will be too.

People also assume that Zelda will be a dual-release on Wii U and NX, but I must be the only one to remember that Smash Bros 4 was a "dual release" but that didn't mean SIMULTANEOUS. Zelda could be on Wii U in 2016 and NX in 2017. (Or Nintendo could just say "it'll be playable on NX!" because every Nintendo system ever has had backwards compatibility)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Supercar Gautier posted:

Backwards compatibility for controllers is nice to implement where possible, but there still needs to be a single option you can point to and say "This is what you get to play everything; this is what you buy extras of for multiplayer", and the Wii U doesn't have a singular answer for that. The Pro Controller almost fits that role, but several big games ignored it early on.

I haven't had a need to buy anything more than a Pro Controller for the Wii U and I've been really happy about that. All of the multiplayer games I've wanted to play have worked with the Wiimotes. I loved being able to jump into Nintendo Land on Day 1 with a group of 5 people and not needing to spend $240 for an additional set of 4 wiimotes and nunchucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Astro7x posted:

I haven't had a need to buy anything more than a Pro Controller for the Wii U and I've been really happy about that. All of the multiplayer games I've wanted to play have worked with the Wiimotes. I loved being able to jump into Nintendo Land on Day 1 with a group of 5 people and not needing to spend $240 for an additional set of 4 wiimotes and nunchucks.

Again, I do think it's good and fine to have backwards controller compatibility where suitable, but if you were speaking to someone starting out with just the Gamepad that came in the box, and they wanted to get set up for multiplayer, what would you tell them to buy? Four Pros? Four Wiimotes and nunchuks? A little of everything?

• Locked thread