Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I made plans with my friends for today, like a week in advance, to get together and watch a specific show. But it seems like every single time we've seen each other since making these plans, they've added more and more activities onto it. Like, first it was "...and lets go get lunch!" which was fine. Then "and we can go thrift shopping! AND lets go to the river too, since we were talking about maybe going sometime!"

It has gotten to the point where our plans for today apparently are to go shopping, get lunch, go to the river, watch the show we were originally planning on, make cookies, get drunk, and go to the drive-in... and I feel like I'm missing at least one or two more. We're not even meeting up until after noon! Like... I guess this is better than everyone going "I dunno, what do YOU wanna do?" but WHY WHY WHY would you try to cram in every activity we have ever wanted to do together, all in one day. We work together and all live within half an hour of each other for gently caress's sake, it's not like we'll never get together again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have the opposite problem where I asked someone on a date and they've done nothing but stall and delay it over and over, to the point where it's been over a month since we've both been in town and I still haven't seen them once because of this. I've given them enough chances for nothing to come of this and it's been a waste of time so the next time I see another delay I'm calling it off (because that's basically what's already happened through attrition). It's not a big deal but for christ's sake, if someone asks you out maybe just say what you actually mean instead of pretending to care for reasons unclear.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Ugh. Lately I am hating commercials that use stupid Christmas carols in them for some reason in the middle of summer. gently caress you, I don't want to think about winter and Christmas right now. They are always mangled into these horrible cutesy jingles and I can't stand them. Two right now I can think of are for Shark Week and loving avocado at Subway.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
People who prevent you from using anything in the house that "generates heat" just because it's hot out. I personally don't think it's that hot but even if it was, it'd still be silly to go "Don't use the stove. Don't use the oven. Don't use the microwave. Don't turn the lights on in the kitchen for even a couple of minutes. Oh, nice going, you spilled something because you couldn't see what you were doing. That's all your fault." Jesus christ, if the heat really bothers you that much then just go take a cold shower. It's like 15 degrees hotter in Osoyoos but no one there is getting heat stroke from making an omelet.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Dudes who cut the sides out of their shirts. I get it if the guy is in good shape, but most of the guys I see that do this are doughy at best.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

grittyreboot posted:

Dudes who cut the sides out of their shirts. I get it if the guy is in good shape, but most of the guys I see that do this are doughy at best.

To add to the above, while the tights scourge of the early 2010s is thankfully over, pale, fat, doughy women are still wearing clothing that is waaaaaay too tight and revealing for their potato bodies.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mine is when people ask me where X thing is. Now it doesn't sound bad, but any time anyone says it to me it's always with things I handled, or they believed I handled several days after I handled it. Of course I'm not going to know exactly where you put your gift cards, yes I used them as you requested it but I can't remember what I have for breakfast, much less what happened to your card weeks after I'm done using it for you.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Annointed posted:

Mine is when people ask me where X thing is. Now it doesn't sound bad, but any time anyone says it to me it's always with things I handled, or they believed I handled several days after I handled it. Of course I'm not going to know exactly where you put your gift cards, yes I used them as you requested it but I can't remember what I have for breakfast, much less what happened to your card weeks after I'm done using it for you.

This, only instead of items they've lost or whatever it's things they think I've broken because I used it once three years ago and obviously that means I broke it. I didn't break your lovely computer, I haven't used it in nearly a year and you download horrible adware on it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've run Windows with the task bar set to auto hide forever. I just do, I like it that way. What I don't like is that occasionally (often) something* will get 'stuck' and it won't auto hide, it just sits there like a normal task bar. But since it's set to auto hide the computer happily extends windows below the ever present, always on top task bar. Usually hiding helpful controls situated along the bottom of said window.

*I'm assuming its things in the notification area, like Windows Update popups, "This device is safe to remove", etc. Its just annoying as all hell and no, I won't give up my auto hiding task bar.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Arrath posted:

I've run Windows with the task bar set to auto hide forever. I just do, I like it that way. What I don't like is that occasionally (often) something* will get 'stuck' and it won't auto hide, it just sits there like a normal task bar. But since it's set to auto hide the computer happily extends windows below the ever present, always on top task bar. Usually hiding helpful controls situated along the bottom of said window.

*I'm assuming its things in the notification area, like Windows Update popups, "This device is safe to remove", etc. Its just annoying as all hell and no, I won't give up my auto hiding task bar.

if you like the auto hidden task bar because you like minimalism, I suggest takinga look at rainmeter. It's a thingy that changes the look of the os to be whatever you customize it to, it's pretty fuckin' rad. I have it and I've made it so everything's super minimalistic and clean. http://rainmeter.net/ give it a look, maybe it'll help your pet peeve sadness.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I hate when people make cute stories out of candy bar brands.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

if you like the auto hidden task bar because you like minimalism, I suggest takinga look at rainmeter. It's a thingy that changes the look of the os to be whatever you customize it to, it's pretty fuckin' rad. I have it and I've made it so everything's super minimalistic and clean. http://rainmeter.net/ give it a look, maybe it'll help your pet peeve sadness.

This looks really neat, thanks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Lavender posted:

I hate when people make cute stories out of candy bar brands.

Like what?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I think he means crap like this:

I agree, it's pretty obnoxious.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

That is the worst one of those I have ever seen.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
The Nephew is staying with us for a California Summer o Fun. He is 16. Need I say more?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i hate when my children give me candy

Taber
Nov 17, 2007

Malkin's worst nightmare
I hate a thing that Internet posters do.

Next 3 posters: that thing! Lol, aren't I clever!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I've recently started a new job that work is done 90% through emails. The last two jobs I had it was all phone conversation, which I loved. Quick answers, easy follow-through.

So here we go:

People who don't know how to organize their emails. I have this lady that goes bottom-up in her outlook and responds as she goes. This means that she's always responding to the older emails in the email thread. She's done it three times today where a question has been asked and answered and she replies with the answer after everyone has already moved on. This also puts her in a situation where she'll ask a question, I'll give her an answer with a follow-up, but then she'll respond to the earlier email with a "need an answer on this!" because she hasn't read through all her emails yet and seen that I've replied already.

People who are impatient about email responses. Part of my job is doing analysis on a customer request, sending it to pricing, then taking the pricing back to the customer once I get it back. I let my customers know "Hey, I'm taking this to pricing, I'll let you know as soon as I hear something back, but Pricing's turnaround time is 24 hours" Usually it's faster than that but we have a within 24 hour guarantee. One of my customers will sit there and email me every three hours on the dot (I swear, she has to have an alarm set or something, it's always within a minute of 3 hours) asking for an update. I'm to the point that I just ignore them until I have a response from Pricing.

There's another guy who sends in requests for stuff we can't do ALL THE GOD drat TIME. Almost every one of his requests is either out of our scope or something we just don't do. I've tried hammering it into him telling him we can't/wont do that but he still sends poo poo in.

I guess my pet peeve(s) would be people who aren't organized and those that don't pay attention to simple tasks.

If it helps any I work in shipping.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Taber posted:

I hate a thing that Internet posters do.

Next 3 posters: that thing! Lol, aren't I clever!

this thing

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Literally this. This so hard.
is a pet peeve

also people saying "good sir" and stuff.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i hate myself.

also icky bugs when they are indoors gross

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Or how about when you email someone two short sentences and one of those sentences is a really easy but important question and you get a response back that's nothing but "Thanks!"

Maybe I should try the caps lock.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I hate every day when I wake up and look in the mirror, and have to look at the failure staring back at me, reminding me every day when I take a shower of the miserable existence that is my life. Some ask if I've been suicidal, but I've heard depression is a sort of emptiness, a a sheer lack of emotion that encourages ending the grinding monotony of life. I have no such luxury. I feel only a burning hatred for myself, for every single opportunity I let slip by and every single risk I was afraid to take. If there is a greater power in this hosed up universe, then I am nothing more than a cosmic joke, the punchline when those comedians tell people, "You can accomplish anything." The only escape is the whiskey that numbs the hatred and pain.

It also annoys me when people don't use their turn signal, I mean come on it's right next to the wheel, guy!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

hey ladies and gents, just a quick public service announcement, because it's one of my pet peeves- you can add people to your ignore list. I loving hate it when people are like "ugh [insertposterhere] shut up you are the worst" and it's a ten page fuckign derail. There is a thing where you go to the person's profile and loving ignore them and then they can just yell into the void like an idiot all they want, and there's no six page derail. gently caress sake, people. how does everyone not know this?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I hate dust jackets on books. They're always slipping up and down on the book, and if you put it in a bag or travel with it at all, the edges of the paper get all worn down and torn, and look generally gross. When you open it up to read, the jacket sticks out at the back and slips around some more, or the side flaps get pushed out and you can't hold the book as easily.

So then you want to just take it off so you can just read and not have deal with all that jacket poo poo, but once you do, you have to find a place to put it down where it won't fly away with the wind or get all folded up or crushed because the stupid thing can never lay flat without being ruined. I wind up either throwing them away or finding two or three piled up in odd places because they slip off the bedstand/armrest and I don't notice.

And what are they even for, anyway? With super-fancy collector's books, I'd understand if you might want a piece of paper to protect the cover. If the cover art is amazing, sure, give it its own jacket so people can preserve that or frame it in their library or whatever. But every single hardcover sci-fi brick does not need one of these things to half-assedly protect it from the rigors of being read once and stuck on a shelf for the rest of time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I use the slip covers as bookmarks. :shobon: I will admit to them being annoying, especially how they get beat up so easily. But.. i've never really cared enough to take them off.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MindlessHavok posted:

People who don't know how to organize their emails. I have this lady that goes bottom-up in her outlook and responds as she goes. This means that she's always responding to the older emails in the email thread. She's done it three times today where a question has been asked and answered and she replies with the answer after everyone has already moved on. This also puts her in a situation where she'll ask a question, I'll give her an answer with a follow-up, but then she'll respond to the earlier email with a "need an answer on this!" because she hasn't read through all her emails yet and seen that I've replied already.

Try to sneak onto her computer and change her settings in Outlook to "Conversation View."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Try to sneak onto her computer and change her settings in Outlook to "Conversation View."

Hah, I would but she's in Miami and I'm in Atlanta.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The free version of Draw Something plays video ads that override my tablet's setting to not rotate the display, often play two or three times in a row, and even the unskippable ones require you to click the "close" button in the corner when they finish rather than just automatically returning you to what you were doing. And I still couldn't even tell you what any of them are advertising since I mute the tablet and put it down while I wait for the ad to finish. It's like they deliberately came up with the most irritating and least effective way to advertise.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Civilization V "true start" Earth map creators who put horses as a resource in the new world need to be lined up against the wall and beaten with history books :mad:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Closing tabs in Chrome on my tablet is stupidly fiddly. The close button is just too small and hard to hit.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Trying to host a party where everyone waits for everyone else to commit before RSVPing themselves.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

walrusman posted:

I think he means crap like this:

I agree, it's pretty obnoxious.

I've made these before, but I've found that eating the candy inside before you actually place them on the posterboard makes it easier to securely glue the wrappers to the paper (plus you get to eat a lot of candy).

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
When I cook anything with soy and get it on my hands and then they smell like goddamn soy sauce for the rest of the night no matter how many times I wash them.

I hate that smell.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

People who obsessively abstain from using the word "retard" and its derivatives, chastise others for using it, and call it the "r-word" like it's somehow EXACTLY as offensive as the n-word. No. No, it really isn't, you goddamn pearl-clutchers, and I say this as somebody who's been diagnosed with a developmental disorder (Asperger's).

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't use the word myself because my brother is autistic but I don't really attack other people over it. Whatever floats your boat though.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Retail workers that correct me on an item's price because I said it was $40 and not $39.99.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

When you have a spikey rear end booger that tries to stab you in the brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sociopastry posted:

When you have a spikey rear end booger that tries to stab you in the brain

When you go rootin' around for said booger and your eyes start waterin so baaaaaaaaaaaaad...