Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Back to Ultimatum chat, is there a thread where people discussed it as it came out? Would anybody have a link handy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I never read Ultimatum. I did, however, read the Ultimatum Edit.
http://4thletter.net/category/features/ultimate-edit-week/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calaveron posted:

Back to Ultimatum chat, is there a thread where people discussed it as it came out? Would anybody have a link handy?

It was mostly "What the gently caress is this poo poo?" over and over again.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Uthor posted:

I never read Ultimatum. I did, however, read the Ultimatum Edit.
http://4thletter.net/category/features/ultimate-edit-week/

That really was fun. I can't believe people who did read both the "real" and our versions said that what Gavok and I did made more sense than the actual comics when we had Hawkeye chase Spider-Man down for Twinkies and Thor was Asgardian Santa.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

That really was fun. I can't believe people who did read both the "real" and our versions said that what Gavok and I did made more sense than the actual comics when we had Hawkeye chase Spider-Man down for Twinkies and Thor was Asgardian Santa.

As someone who read this I can confirm that not only was it more entertaining, but yes, it made much more sense. It at least followed it's own internal logic and was consistent in it's madness, unlike the real poo poo.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I don't have the panels handy but last week's Injustice was hilarious. WW going full blown mental and kicking the poo poo out of Superman, with the last panel being her breaking his arm while Bats just has a HUGE loving :smug: grin is hilarious. Even better, Catwoman is just like :cripes: "How did I even GET involved this bullshit?"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't have the panels handy but last week's Injustice was hilarious. WW going full blown mental and kicking the poo poo out of Superman, with the last panel being her breaking his arm while Bats just has a HUGE loving :smug: grin is hilarious. Even better, Catwoman is just like :cripes: "How did I even GET involved this bullshit?"

Wait, I thought the Injustice comic was all a prequel to the game, and in the game WW's full on Supes' side.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

Wait, I thought the Injustice comic was all a prequel to the game, and in the game WW's full on Supes' side.

They're taking their sweet time getting there by having the most awesome and insane story you can think of.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Injustice comic has gone way off that map iirc and is now basically its own thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It pretty much went from "hilariously bad" to "holy poo poo awesome" and has swung back to "bad" after Tom Taylor left.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

After she thumbs his eyes real good.

Meanwhile, the whole time, Harley Quinn is trying to turn the entire thing into a Hunger Games fanfic.

Overall, it's not a bad series. It has it's stupid moments, but I also like how focused it is.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I should save those panels as exhibit A for why I loathe most Harley Quinn the same way I loathe most Deadpool.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mind the walrus posted:

I should save those panels as exhibit A for why I loathe most Harley Quinn the same way I loathe most Deadpool.

Like good Deadpool stories, Injustice mixes in some pathos for Harley. It's the best non-cartoon depiction I've seen of her*.

*admittedly, I haven't seen a whole lot of non-cartoon depictions of her, though

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Those aren't that hot. Everything involving her, Ollie and/or Black Canary earlier on was drat fine work by Taylor, though.

TwoPair posted:

I'll admit the "Wonder Woman-- the Girl On Fire!" line got a good chuckle out of me because while references don't usually equate to humor in my mind, every now and then one just hits.
Yeah, that was good, I agree.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 30, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'll admit the "Wonder Woman-- the Girl On Fire!" line got a good chuckle out of me because while references don't usually equate to humor in my mind, every now and then one just hits.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

redbackground posted:

Those aren't that hot. Everything involving her, Ollie and/or Black Canary earlier on was drat fine work by Taylor, though.

I've heard that but the few panels I've seen posted around didn't really sell me on it. Then again I haven't read the full thing so I'm not going to be too dismissive.

Harley can be a really excellent character, but it feels like there's four competing versions of her and the latter two consistently neutralize what's great about the first two:

1. The tragic woman abused by the predatory man she fell for, reclaiming her identity, which is a superlative arc and what most fans I've met fall back on to justify her even though it's only her origin arc at most.

2. The incredible variety of outfits and fun combat styles her red/black "sexy clown" motif can support which is the biggest reason for her continued popularity through memetic imagery like cosplay and merchandise, which I'm 110% in support of.

3. The directionless nothing her character becomes the instant you finish her origin arc, which she shares in common with characters like Hawkman and has writers trying to staple anything they can onto her in the hopes that it sticks.

4. The "Deadpool w/tits" meme factory which is absolutely insufferable and near-impossible to do well.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, the thing about Injustice is that, since Joker's dead, Harley has to kind of find out how to exist independently. The interesting part about it (from what I've read) is that, without Joker's influence, she's turning out to be a not-so-bad person.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

mind the walrus posted:

I've heard that but the few panels I've seen posted around didn't really sell me on it. Then again I haven't read the full thing so I'm not going to be too dismissive.

Harley can be a really excellent character, but it feels like there's four competing versions of her and the latter two consistently neutralize what's great about the first two:

1. The tragic woman abused by the predatory man she fell for, reclaiming her identity, which is a superlative arc and what most fans I've met fall back on to justify her even though it's only her origin arc at most.

2. The incredible variety of outfits and fun combat styles her red/black "sexy clown" motif can support which is the biggest reason for her continued popularity through memetic imagery like cosplay and merchandise, which I'm 110% in support of.

3. The directionless nothing her character becomes the instant you finish her origin arc, which she shares in common with characters like Hawkman and has writers trying to staple anything they can onto her in the hopes that it sticks.

4. The "Deadpool w/tits" meme factory which is absolutely insufferable and near-impossible to do well.

I'd argue there is a fifth version of her.

5. The devious Harleen Quinzelle. The woman who in the end cares about herself above everyone else. The character who does bad stuff and screws other people over, just to get what she wants. She isn't as popular because for some fans her existence conflicts with versions 1 and 2 of Harley, but in many ways it is just a valid interpretation of her.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Well, the thing about Injustice is that, since Joker's dead, Harley has to kind of find out how to exist independently. The interesting part about it (from what I've read) is that, without Joker's influence, she's turning out to be a not-so-bad person.

That's not exactly a new arc though. Harley had a cheesecake solo series from like 15 years ago where she basically did the same thing. No one seems to be able to make that arc memorable.

I guess what gets me is that for all her faux-Deadpool schtick they fail to borrow the one thing that makes Deadpool tolerable-- Harley is supposedly a loving PhD yet we never see her drop the Art Deco Juggalo schtick to offset her juvenile disposition like we do Deadpool's tactical/emotional depth. Even when it's time to get "serious" she still talks like a sheltered 16 year-old.

The Question IRL posted:

I'd argue there is a fifth version of her.

5. The devious Harleen Quinzelle. The woman who in the end cares about herself above everyone else. The character who does bad stuff and screws other people over, just to get what she wants. She isn't as popular because for some fans her existence conflicts with versions 1 and 2 of Harley, but in many ways it is just a valid interpretation of her.

Oh yeah, her. That interpretation makes sense given that no one could ever actually hang out with the Joker for more than a day without seeing someone get straight-up tortured and if DC really wanted to reform her she'd have to face that, but it's been downplayed because she's the best bait for casual fans that DC has found in the last 30 years bar none. Like I'd be surprised if they focus on that part of her at all even in the new Suicide Squad movie despite that looking for all intents and purposes like the exact stand-alone format where that would make the most thematic sense.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 30, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, that version is also, much like Joker himself, literally impossible to tell solo stories about without fundamentally breaking the conceit for the superhero genre. There's a reason that even when 'bad guys' get series, they're usually either pretending to be good guys, or have become full-on antiheroes, because otherwise you're reading about a mad clown slicing up kids with a razor (or, yes, exploding them with Game Boys) and never getting comeuppance.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

mind the walrus posted:

This describes her arc through the Injustice comic so far pretty much perfectly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

I guess what gets me is that for all her faux-Deadpool schtick they fail to borrow the one thing that makes Deadpool tolerable-- Harley is supposedly a loving PhD yet we never see her drop the Art Deco Juggalo schtick to offset her juvenile disposition like we do Deadpool's tactical/emotional depth. Even when it's time to get "serious" she still talks like a sheltered 16 year-old.

There's a bit in Injustice when she gets pissed off at Doctor Fate because he goes by Doctor and has no medical knowledge.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

or have become full-on antiheroes

Isn't this exactly what DC has been trying to do with her, surprisingly unsuccessfully, for like a decade now?

Gaz-L posted:

Well, that version is also, much like Joker himself, literally impossible to tell solo stories about without fundamentally breaking the conceit for the superhero genre.

I don't buy it, because the version of Harley described The Question IRL isn't incompatible with antiheroics at all. If anything it makes her more of an antihero in the vein of a Tony Soprano or Walter White, something that's only a bad thing if you're insistent that the character be aimed exclusively at 8 year-olds.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
All I know is both comic-cons I've been to in the last 4 years have had a lot of Harley cosplayers and each one of them came off as trailer-park caricatures the moment they opened their mouth. Just like every Joker they were with came off as "Juggalo in a goodwill suit"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Booblord Zagats posted:

All I know is both comic-cons I've been to in the last 4 years have had a lot of Harley cosplayers and each one of them came off as trailer-park caricatures the moment they opened their mouth. Just like every Joker they were with came off as "Juggalo in a goodwill suit"

Well no poo poo. They are literally violent clowns whose entire worldview is how sweet chaos is.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Travis343 posted:

Well no poo poo. They are literally violent clowns whose entire worldview is how sweet chaos is.

Next you'll be shocked to hear every Deadpool cosplayer we talked to was an pimply skinny kid who has a bad relationship with their parents

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Look, I understand that conceptually John Constantine is a great character, but every cosplayer I met of him sounded like Dick Van Dyke's character from Mary Poppins only they wouldn't stop saying "wanker," so obviously he's a poo poo.

The Flash sucks, I've yet to meet a single cosplayer who could run a four minute mile, let alone a fraction of the speed of light.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It pretty much went from "hilariously bad" to "holy poo poo awesome" and has swung back to "bad" after Tom Taylor left.

I thought it was great from the get-go during Taylor's run. To my mind it straight up ended when he left, which is a shame because I was really hoping to see what he'd do with Ares and Bane and all those other loose ends. He made that comic 10 times better than it had any right to be, it's a crying shame he didn't get to finish it. Although I think he wasn't that interested in doing so, anyway.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I thought it was great from the get-go during Taylor's run. To my mind it straight up ended when he left, which is a shame because I was really hoping to see what he'd do with Ares and Bane and all those other loose ends. He made that comic 10 times better than it had any right to be, it's a crying shame he didn't get to finish it. Although I think he wasn't that interested in doing so, anyway.
The first few issues had some problems, mostly due to art and Taylor seeming to rush through a lot of major points. After like five issues it really started coming together.

Once things really hit their stride, I never got the impression that Taylor was trying to write to the story of the video game. He had the basic origin idea, but just went with it instead of trying too hard to connect the backstory to the game. After all, he had five years to come up with, and he was smart enough to realize that he pretty much had carte blanche to do what he wanted.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

only they wouldn't stop saying "wanker"

This isn't an accurate portrayal of Brits?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 30, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It is not. Why would we ever limit ourselves to a single insult?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Nah, Juggalos are actually all about Jesus.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

There's a bit in Injustice when she gets pissed off at Doctor Fate because he goes by Doctor and has no medical knowledge.
Which was dumb as gently caress.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

TheJoker138 posted:

Nah, Juggalos are actually all about Jesus.

That's just the founders trying to get declassed as a gang by the FBI. The vast majority of juggalos are just angry, chubby and socially awkward teens to twenty somethings who want to get a drunken handy from someone in grease paint

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Booblord Zagats posted:

That's just the founders trying to get declassed as a gang by the FBI. The vast majority of juggalos are just angry, chubby and socially awkward teens to twenty somethings who want to get a drunken handy from someone in grease paint

Huh, I always thought it was a weird troll when they did that. Now it actually makes sense.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

The vast majority of juggalos are just angry, chubby and socially awkward teens to twenty somethings who want to get a drunken handy from someone in grease paint

I was going to make a joke about this being Homestuck cosplayers, and then Unlucky7 comes in and talks about trolls, so...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Nah, the Jesus thing came about way, way before they got classified as a gang.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

goatface posted:

It is not. Why would we ever limit ourselves to a single insult?

Especially when there's just something about a Brit's casual use of "oval office" that for some reason I find hysterical.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Especially when there's just something about a Brit's casual use of "oval office" that for some reason I find hysterical.

Eh, that's a localised thing here I think. Like, back home in Glasgow I'd lay down c-word after c-word without batting an eye, and the first person I remember ever saying it was my sweet old grandmother, but where I am now, occasionally people look at you funny for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Prison Warden posted:

Eh, that's a localised thing here I think. Like, back home in Glasgow I'd lay down c-word after c-word without batting an eye, and the first person I remember ever saying it was my sweet old grandmother, but where I am now, occasionally people look at you funny for it.

All I know is when I first read JK Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy", the sheer amount of them made me comment aloud "This is the weirdest Harry Potter book yet."