Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd prefer both personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

New Leaf posted:

I Fallout 2 worth playing? I got 1 and 2 when GoG gave them out for free a year or two ago. I tried Fallout 1 to the exit of the first vault and couldn't figure out how to fight the rats that attacked me, so I never went back.. but I also have Fallout 2, and this time I found a keyboard reference chart. I've watched a playthrough of 1 so I'm up on the story if that factors at all.

The answer is yes, but for optimal play, get the hi-rez mod, you see a lot more than the game devs intended at once, at 1080p you may even see past the map, but it's necessary to hide a bit of the age of the game. 1600x900 looks nice without showing non-map stuff.

Also, go with an 'optimal' character build. This is a game that can screw you really hard by using the default characters or by making your own without knowing what your doing. There are a lot of cool sounding perks that are effectively useless.

Do some googling on ideal character builds. I usually select the perks small frame and gifted, and max out agi from there, then put points into int and other things. it varies but the main thing is agility is super loving important, and some stats are just useless, and some are best left alone and not lowering, like I've never done a high luck run on FO1 or FO2 but low luck causes some hosed up, if hilarious things to happen.

Take the time to learn the hotkeys to the interface because the click interface is pretty bad.

That's my advice to avoid the most jarring aspects of playing old fallout. Play with character builds after you've figured the game out, go with a min/max build from the internet until then.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

OwlFancier posted:

I'd prefer both personally.

Me too. If this were a pen and paper rpg I'd disagree about the ammo variation, but a computer rpg can manage ammo variety and scarcity pretty well.

Raygereio posted:

Get of your high horse and get trampled by it.
I actually think the situation you described sounds neat.

I love this thread.

Raygereio posted:

The problem though is that if you constantly get into those situations, it stops being neat and becomes annoying. Eventually I find myself wanting to progress, instead of constantly having to stop and scrounge around for a weapon.

What? No you don't. I'm hard pressed to think of any games off the top of my head, let alone fallout 3 or NV, where this was actually a problem that occurred. The situation I described only ever happened to me when I was far away from towns and couldn't find any more poo poo to repair my guns with. That was "once in a while" at best.

Raygereio posted:

And by the way.

If you don't want try multiple playthroughs with different builds and trying different choices, and don't want to explore the environment, then just go play CoD instead of a RPG.

For reference, I meant "locking you out" as in, "preventing you from even trying something until you have reached an arbitrary amount of skill", but sure ok, I retract everything I apparently said about not wanting to replay games with different builds and choices, and all the stuff I apparently said about not wanting to explore environments. ( :confused: what?)

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 30, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rutibex posted:

This makes a lot more sense. You need some decent chemistry to make any kind of gunpowder than isn't lovely smoke filled black powder. Not to mention stuff like needle ammo or Microfusion cells, or the firing caps.

Guns are just fancy tubes, any idiot can make a gun out of a pipe. Making ammo is a lot harder, yet it seems to proliferate the wasteland.

Probably because there doesn't seem to be an area in the wasteland that doesn't have some sort of scientific community, several army bunkers and supply depots, several hideouts of Chinese stealth agents, the likely counter intelligence agencies hunting for subversive activity, several vaults that despite their likelihood to fail have decent armories, local police and national guard buildings, possibly a local munitions chain and maybe a survivalist colony or 10.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 30, 2015

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

frajaq posted:

Durability sucks and it's just busywork. They should ammo rarer and more varied instead

Don't you think that's bit hypocritical? You're advocating the removal of a durability system, yet talking how they should make ammo rarer as a more balanced means of vary up combat in a FPS. Let It be real here for a minute, it's motherfucking Bethesda, they don't know the meaning of the word 'balanced'. They're not going to get smarter about how they dull out ammo in their game, why? That would take more consideration then the durability system they're possibly removing and Bethesda if, anything, is the king of lazy game design. :v:

VVVV The presentation showed ammo types (.38, .45, energy, plasma, 10mm, etc) but nothing for durability.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 30, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I don't even remember if in the gameplay footage so far they showed if guns have a durability meter or how ammo is named.

I do remember that chemicals have weight, which I like it. hopefully ammo will have too

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

frajaq posted:

I don't even remember if in the gameplay footage so far they showed if guns have a durability meter or how ammo is named.

I do remember that chemicals have weight, which I like it. hopefully ammo will have too

It probably won't take me longer than an hour of play until I use the console to give myself virtually unlimited carry weight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also don't really see the difference between scarce ammo and durability in terms of busywork or being able to stick with a gun.

If ammo is scarce you need to keep switching guns to whatever you have ammo for, like in an FPS, and you need to keep looting minute amounts of ammo because otherwise you run out.

Aside from a couple extra clicks to stick your guns together that's more or less exactly like the repair system? Add in a "repair your gun with the one you're looking at" hotkey and they're indistinguishable.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

King Vidiot posted:

But you wouldn't have the required Science and/or Repair skills by then, and the materials aren't that common on the road to Primm. You'd have to go way out of your way, like east to Repconn, to get the parts you need.

Knowing in-advance that you're going to repair ED-E is different from a first playthrough where you won't have that stuff on hand. Me, I never bothered with ED-E until a bit later in the game, then I'd come back and get him. It wasn't until my TTW playthrough where I already had the required skills that I got him on my first arrival at Primm.

the materials aren't that impossible to find on a direct path from good springs > primm > ncr outpost > nipton. everything you need to repair him is just junk items that can randomly generate in containers, and IIRC the rarest item in his repair list is the 2x sensor modules. scrap metal/electronics isn't something you'd be hurting for unless you just never picked any up, in which case you can just go back to a few trash cans and grab some. i know for a fact one of the trailers in good springs has one sensor module every time on a fresh start, and between all the merchants and all the containers on a direct path, you'd have to be either very unlucky or intentionally avoiding buying one to not have two by the time you hit primm, let alone nipton.

i think if anything the reason someone might not slay vulpes outright is that they're hoarding drugs / explosives that they could really just use with no downside. i know standard RPG logic is that you have to hoard your best items for the last boss, but that's not really how NV plays out. hell, i am fairly certain there's a guaranteed container of turbo in the bison steve, and popping that right before the fight makes it almost impossible to lose

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

All I want out of this (and basically every other game with locked doors/containers) is a "gently caress you door!" option. If I'm eight foot tall fusion-powered walking tank with a nuclear bazooka a wooden door should not be an obstacle.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cheap Shot posted:

I rarely meet anyone who doesn't find that one gun that makes everyone dead much better than others (whichever gun they decide that is), and just use that for everything. In most games. Everyone finds a comfort zone with certain weapons. I've been in situations where that particular gun broke from overuse. I wasn't in a position where I could maintain it for a while. It forced me to pick weapons up off the ground and defend myself. I wouldn't have used these weapons otherwise, even if I ever got it in my head to "mix things up". I had to use them, which I felt was kinda cool.

Your weapon breaking, killing someone, picking up their dropped gun, fighting off your attackers, then tossing it back on the floor afterwards. That's pretty cool imo.

I agree totally. I always default to a LMG or whatever in these games but the beginning bit where I'm still scraping together ammo and a decent gun or any bit where things do not go as planned and I have to improvise always end up being the most fun parts of Fallout for me. Even though I know that, I don't seek those things out. They kind of have to be spontaneous; when you just go 'well you can change it up if you want' you are relying on the player themselves to create fun and motivation.

That's not necessarily a bad thing (look at the success of open ended games like Minecraft and whatever) but it is a double edged sword in that many are simply unable to do that (because like me they just pick up the gun that does the most damage and all the ammo for it) and end up not having that much fun. Or at least not as much as they could have had.

Although again if they nixed durability, whatever. If they make ammo scarcer instead that is also good and creates those situations that mix up a player's plan.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

All I want out of this (and basically every other game with locked doors/containers) is a "gently caress you door!" option. If I'm eight foot tall fusion-powered walking tank with a nuclear bazooka a wooden door should not be an obstacle.

There's a mod for NV that lets you blow open locks with explosives and it's great.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 30, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yeah, definitely. I think alternate solutions to problems that "belong" to other perks/skills is always a cool use of some of the top perks related to a skill. Make an intimidate check by bending some steel bars, that kind of stuff. It's always fun.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

hemophilia posted:

The answer is yes, but for optimal play, get the hi-rez mod, you see a lot more than the game devs intended at once, at 1080p you may even see past the map, but it's necessary to hide a bit of the age of the game. 1600x900 looks nice without showing non-map stuff.

Also, go with an 'optimal' character build. This is a game that can screw you really hard by using the default characters or by making your own without knowing what your doing. There are a lot of cool sounding perks that are effectively useless.

Do some googling on ideal character builds. I usually select the perks small frame and gifted, and max out agi from there, then put points into int and other things. it varies but the main thing is agility is super loving important, and some stats are just useless, and some are best left alone and not lowering, like I've never done a high luck run on FO1 or FO2 but low luck causes some hosed up, if hilarious things to happen.

Take the time to learn the hotkeys to the interface because the click interface is pretty bad.

That's my advice to avoid the most jarring aspects of playing old fallout. Play with character builds after you've figured the game out, go with a min/max build from the internet until then.

Doing it, thanks man

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Phlegmish posted:

Fallout 2 is from motherfucking 1998. poo poo. I wasn't even retired yet back then.

Fallout 3 is from 2008. Roe v. Wade wouldn't have even defined me as a potential for human life at that point.

They still probably don't.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Cheap Shot posted:

What? No you don't. I'm hard pressed to think of any games off the top of my head, let alone fallout 3 or NV, where this was actually a problem that occurred.
I have memories of this happening all the time in Oblivion. I'd get 3/4 of the way through a dungeon and my weapons would be red and my armor would be off.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jethro posted:

I have memories of this happening all the time in Oblivion. I'd get 3/4 of the way through a dungeon and my weapons would be red and my armor would be off.

Oblivion might be the worst offender though. At high levels, every combat drains your armor health by about 50, and it takes forever to get the Armorer perk that allows you to travel with a single repair hammer (and by then, you're definitely sick of pressing the "repair" button).

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, definitely. I think alternate solutions to problems that "belong" to other perks/skills is always a cool use of some of the top perks related to a skill. Make an intimidate check by bending some steel bars, that kind of stuff. It's always fun.
Yeah. It'd be cool if you could attack things like locks with other skills at a high enough level. Repair and Explosives being the obvious ones but a STR check to just boot the poo poo out of crappy doors/containers would be fun too. It's always fun to have multiple options for removing obstacles.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Do you mean a sonic screwdriver? Cause that doesn't work on wood either...

Content:

I really hope they do a ton of upgrades to the gunplay. Take borderlands as an example. It's an rpg with great gunplay elements. Take fallout 3 as the opposite : gunplay was lovely, and for some reason skill with a gun only increased damage (not accuracy).

What would have made fo3 cool would have been a cof that scaled with skill, damage constant(or atleast only modded by durability) and some sort of critical failure feature if you were really low skill (gun jams, magazine drops out and you lose ammo, rocket explodes in the tube gibbing you, drop the grenade at your feet, etc)

Instead we'll probably be a 420masterelitesniper with maxed rifle skills that can't get a bullet to shoot strait to save his life.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Booyah posted:

I really hope they do a ton of upgrades to the gunplay. Take borderlands as an example. It's an rpg with great gunplay elements. Take fallout 3 as the opposite : gunplay was lovely, and for some reason skill with a gun only increased damage (not accuracy).

What would have made fo3 cool would have been a cof that scaled with skill, damage constant(or atleast only modded by durability) and some sort of critical failure feature if you were really low skill (gun jams, magazine drops out and you lose ammo, rocket explodes in the tube gibbing you, drop the grenade at your feet, etc)

Instead we'll probably be a 420masterelitesniper with maxed rifle skills that can't get a bullet to shoot strait to save his life.

I always like it better when skills in games improve "handling" rather than damage for guns. Less wobble, less recoil, quicker reloads, etc. That's more milsim than RPG style though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Leinadi posted:

Who gives a drat if a game is old? I really don't understand this argument at all. If one can run a game on the computer, then what's the problem? "Outdated" is one of the dumbest words thrown around in the gaming industry. There's so much good gaming to be had if one goes back a bit in time, and even more if you can dig up rarer games that aren't usually in the "top 100 lists" that sites crap out every once in a while. There's such a history (that is sadly pretty hidden) in gaming that is just dismissed because, yeah... those are OLD games and we obviously can't play those any more. Well, why not?

And this is coming from someone who is quite enjoying Witcher 3 and GTA V at the moment.

They are outdated because they use terrible control schemes or have horrible game mechanics. The stories might be good but the gameplay has something terrible about it because game developers hadn't found the right way to do things yet. Look at Goldenye. It was a great game but it's terrible to play now because the controls are awful.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I always like it better when skills in games improve "handling" rather than damage for guns. Less wobble, less recoil, quicker reloads, etc. That's more milsim than RPG style though.

Not F4, but I thought this Killing Floor 2 putting in an entirely separate 'reloading expert' animation in was kinda cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0udgqG7Uy3o&t=248s

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Fallout 3 is from 2008. Roe v. Wade wouldn't have even defined me as a potential for human life at that point.

They still probably don't.

Man, when you put it into perspective like that... Fallout 3 is loving ancient.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm replaying Dead Money, still absolutely loving it. It's the first time that things are actually scarce in FO3 or NV and the only time I've had to really sweat about having ammo, medical supplies, and working weapons. And this is with my having installed Project Nevada and dialing the drop rate for ammo and supplies down to 20% of stock, I still have hundreds of rounds of ammo stashed in the safe in Novac and a pile of stimpacks as large as a child. Having to maintain the weapons isn't a make or break for me, especially because the system for it in FO3 and NV are both fairly clunky; you don't get a good gun by duct taping six lovely broken guns together. So long as making your uber ultra hi-power reinforced death sniper nuke launcher is actually difficult to pull off in FO4 and not something you can have done within thirty seconds of getting out of the vault, I'm okay about losing maintenance. What I really want is scarcity. I should at no time have backpacks full of ammo and stimpacks. I should have to make hard choices like using a lovely gun made out of a pipe and some old firecrackers because it's the only thing with ammo when the super mutant comes around the corner, and I should have to eat and drink horrible irradiated supplies because the alternative is starvation.

'Cause, show of hands here, who played through FO3 or NV and actually drank any of the dirty water or ate any of the irradiated pre-war food? I'm betting next to nobody, because the games were too generous with better supplies.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
New Vegas at least gave us a way to use some of them like turning 4 bottles of dirty water into 2 purified. It'd be interesting if they expanded on ways to actually use all the hundreds of useless crap and convert them into more advanced chems, restoratives and food types; however, I doubt they'll seriously push for scarcity as Todd Howard does not want to be bothered looking everywhere to build his flaming giant 8-bit Vault Boy monument. So I also really doubt you'll have to worry about finding most items when minecraft style deconstruction and crafting is a major feature. Too many people on the beth forums probably wouldn't like scarcity as it wouldn't be fun.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Valatar posted:

'Cause, show of hands here, who played through FO3 or NV and actually drank any of the dirty water or ate any of the irradiated pre-war food? I'm betting next to nobody, because the games were too generous with better supplies.
"raises hand" I used those all the time because the game was also generous with Radaway.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 30, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Valatar posted:

I ate plenty of irradiated food in New Vegas Hardcore Mode. The best weight/food ratios are in the pre-war foods, that's what I usually carried around. A few extra Rads aern't that big of a deal.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Now that radiation looks like it's become a damage type, I wonder how they'll differentiate clean food from dirty food?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As an amusing aside, some guy on the Bethesda forums, clearly a man with a vast background of military expertise, wrote that you could use a gun for literally decades without having to repair it. I target shoot as a hobby and one of my pistols, a .22LR, had been jamming. This is after a couple thousand rounds through its lifetime, and I'd been cleaning the gun after every couple trips to the range, so it was driving me a little crazy that the rounds weren't feeding properly. Only after a ton more scrubbing and cursing did it dawn on me that the magazines were grubby as hell. I'd neglected to consider that they could be the culprit, and the feed issue stopped after I took them apart and cleaned them. Guns are more maintenance-intensive than most people give them credit for. They won't explode into a shower of pieces in your hand or anything if you don't clean them for a few months, but if you don't provide any TLC they will start to jam on you, which is about the last thing you want happening in the mutant-filled radioactive wasteland.

Which is not to say that stopping to clean and oil your weapons is a fun thing that should be in every videogame, just that people wanting an authentic gritty survival sim aren't inaccurate in saying that guns require maintenance to work well. If it were me designing a game, and I wanted that sort of thing to be simulated, I'd make it so that clicking on a workbench or a portable cleaning kit would restore weapons to good shape automatically. Make it something that the player has to keep an eye on, but not something tedious requiring that you collect tons of other guns. Then I'd equip the random raiders of the world with crappy versions of the guns that are essentially unfixable. No amount of scrubbing will restore a hosed-up barrel to good order. That way you don't have to worry that the player will be carrying around sixty pristine rifles after killing the first random gang they encounter.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Crabtree posted:

New Vegas at least gave us a way to use some of them like turning 4 bottles of dirty water into 2 purified. It'd be interesting if they expanded on ways to actually use all the hundreds of useless crap and convert them into more advanced chems, restoratives and food types; however, I doubt they'll seriously push for scarcity as Todd Howard does not want to be bothered looking everywhere to build his flaming giant 8-bit Vault Boy monument. So I also really doubt you'll have to worry about finding most items when minecraft style deconstruction and crafting is a major feature. Too many people on the beth forums probably wouldn't like scarcity as it wouldn't be fun.

My only real hope is that they have a hardcore mode. Because yeah, I very much doubt the standard difficulty will have any kind of scarcity when you're supposed to be playing sim city in it. The Fallout 4 twitter feed seems to've left the door open for that when they said they'd be discussing modes down the road instead of just saying that there's no hardcore mode. Failing that, there'll be mods for it at some point down the road. SkyRe is fairly good for that in Skyrim, I found myself breaking into some poor bastard's shack just to get to a fireplace to not die of hypothermia. RIP, poor wilderness shack guy. If it's any consolation, I felt kinda bad about having to lightning bolt you after breaking into your house.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Valatar posted:

My only real hope is that they have a hardcore mode. Because yeah, I very much doubt the standard difficulty will have any kind of scarcity when you're supposed to be playing sim city in it. The Fallout 4 twitter feed seems to've left the door open for that when they said they'd be discussing modes down the road instead of just saying that there's no hardcore mode. Failing that, there'll be mods for it at some point down the road. SkyRe is fairly good for that in Skyrim, I found myself breaking into some poor bastard's shack just to get to a fireplace to not die of hypothermia. RIP, poor wilderness shack guy. If it's any consolation, I felt kinda bad about having to lightning bolt you after breaking into your house.

Would it be okay if they at least had a skeleton of that where amongst collecting certain perks, you could "earn" extra starting perks by sliding in certain difficulty parameters ala XCOM: EU/EW? Like there are now more super radiated zones and radiation poisoning is even quicker, but you can now level up faster in Plasma, small and explosive weaponry?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The best time I ever had in F3 was my first playthrough deciding 'gently caress this stupid giant wreck of a city' while trying to get to the ship town via DC, and following the river to get there instead. Had to scrounge for every last bullet and health and fight for every few hundred feet.

In retrospect I probably tried to go too far too fast and should have hung around Megaton for a while but still it felt more like The Road than anything else.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

The best time I ever had in F3 was my first playthrough deciding 'gently caress this stupid giant wreck of a city' while trying to get to the ship town via DC, and following the river to get there instead. Had to scrounge for every last bullet and health and fight for every few hundred feet.

In retrospect I probably tried to go too far too fast and should have hung around Megaton for a while but still it felt more like The Road than anything else.

I did something similar in 3 except I think I managed to save scum and stealth my way to Rivet much earlier than probably intended.
I too was bored of Megaton pretty fast, but I also think that was a symptom of having watched too much preview coverage and people streaming the game before it was released.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Crabtree posted:

Would it be okay if they at least had a skeleton of that where amongst collecting certain perks, you could "earn" extra starting perks by sliding in certain difficulty parameters ala XCOM: EU/EW? Like there are now more super radiated zones and radiation poisoning is even quicker, but you can now level up faster in Plasma, small and explosive weaponry?

That'd be kinda cool. I'm totally on board with an optional system, that way people who don't want it can just leave the options off while I turn 'em all on. I don't wanna step on the dreams of anyone who just wants to play pretty princess wasteland minecraft, I just want a wasteland experience for myself with a bigger focus on having to sustain robodad in an environment without tons of supplies.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I do this every game, I didn't even realize you were supposed to go through DC to get to Rivet City. I mean, Moira's quest has you go to the library, and then the very next part is researching RC's history, and it's only a short swim from the library, so...

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
One of my favorite playthroughs of new vegas was the story of Doc Webb. Done in a blog style of the doctor recording his thoughts into his Pip-Boy. The person writing it obviously had some medical experience with how detailed he was able to be on patching up injuries and brought everything alive in a way few stories had. Even a lot of interactions between the doc and his traveling companions were interesting to read. It can still be found here

http://docwebbjournal.blogspot.com/2011_04_01_archive.html

Sadly it has been abandoned, which is a shame, but I still highly recommend reading through it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Valatar posted:

As an amusing aside, some guy on the Bethesda forums, clearly a man with a vast background of military expertise, wrote that you could use a gun for literally decades without having to repair it. I target shoot as a hobby and one of my pistols, a .22LR, had been jamming. This is after a couple thousand rounds through its lifetime, and I'd been cleaning the gun after every couple trips to the range, so it was driving me a little crazy that the rounds weren't feeding properly. Only after a ton more scrubbing and cursing did it dawn on me that the magazines were grubby as hell. I'd neglected to consider that they could be the culprit, and the feed issue stopped after I took them apart and cleaned them. Guns are more maintenance-intensive than most people give them credit for. They won't explode into a shower of pieces in your hand or anything if you don't clean them for a few months, but if you don't provide any TLC they will start to jam on you, which is about the last thing you want happening in the mutant-filled radioactive wasteland.

Which is not to say that stopping to clean and oil your weapons is a fun thing that should be in every videogame, just that people wanting an authentic gritty survival sim aren't inaccurate in saying that guns require maintenance to work well. If it were me designing a game, and I wanted that sort of thing to be simulated, I'd make it so that clicking on a workbench or a portable cleaning kit would restore weapons to good shape automatically. Make it something that the player has to keep an eye on, but not something tedious requiring that you collect tons of other guns. Then I'd equip the random raiders of the world with crappy versions of the guns that are essentially unfixable. No amount of scrubbing will restore a hosed-up barrel to good order. That way you don't have to worry that the player will be carrying around sixty pristine rifles after killing the first random gang they encounter.

Depends on the gun, but you're correct. Firearms have lasted in working order for over 100 years, but how well they work depends on how much you take care of them and how much they get shot. A museum piece could be identical to how it was when it was built (the Metropolitan Museum of Art has a big antique firearm collection, with guns that are literally worth as much as traditional works of art from their engravings), but an AK that saw use in every war from Vietnam to the Syrian Civil War is likely battered to hell if it's even still operational and probably had more than one replacement part.

Personally if I was doing the durability system for Fallout 4, I'd keep it the same (a depletable meter that you refill by expending resources) but make it so that each section of the gun has its own durability meter with a unique effect as it decreases. So a worn barrel decreases damage and accuracy, a worn grip increases sway when aiming down the sights, a worn scope gets smudged and cracked to make it harder to see through, etc. Since you can break down any item or weapon mod for its raw materials in Fallout 4, you instead repair each weapon part with raw resources like metal and wood instead of needing to sacrifice a whole gun or suit of armor. So let's say your barrel gets worn out. You could repair it with metal taken from a kitchen knife, aluminum bat, the left leg section of metal armor, another gun part, etc.

This encourages players to be breaking down items for specific materials instead of simply hoarding junk to sell for unlimited caps, and makes it far easier to repair most weapons (since you can just pull metal or wood from whatever instead of needing specific weapons to completely destroy).

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I hope I can put a loudener on my gun.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I just want gun modifications and blueprint upgrades to work well enough on their own, but even better when working together. I want to have leveled GRA or whatever weapon parts that give a small dependable boost but become worthless on Mk 2-5 guns as they already have the older mods on top of them. So besides having carbon blades on the Shishkebab MK 2, you can eventually upgrade and mod it to the point where it isn't just a fire and melee weapon, but one that also is technically an energy weapon as it fires out a plasma arc around the blade.

And if you can't think up a Gun Runners like group to exist, let the player basically start up a faction from scratch like the guilds in the Scrolls series. Organize some tribals, gangs and settlers around an old munitions plant to be the weapons arm of your merchant empire and the more you upgrade their Fortress, the more caps and better products they can provide for you and your trade caravans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Valatar posted:

The STALKER approach is a pretty interesting system. You can fix up broken lovely rifles but it costs way more than buying them, because you essentially have to rebuild the gun using the original as a plan. With the crafting system in FO4, you could conceivably make weapon maintenence extremely resource intensive (for your "spare gun parts" resource) if the gun is damaged, but if it's in relatively good condition it doesn't cost as much.

Then, as you say, give raiders lovely guns, if you find a rare gun you can spend a lot of resources fixing it up, but otherwise damaging your guns and not maintaining them often (maybe have cleaning kits which work if the gun is only slightly broken, and which work in the field) will ring up a bill at the end.

One advantage to making gun maintenence cost a non-money resource is that it doesn't impede your progress in the rest of the game to fix your guns, but it does place a limit on how many you can keep maintained, and allow for higher maintenence guns as a mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Mr Tastee posted:

I hope I can put a loudener on my gun.

And one of those things for shooting down Brotherhood Vertibirds

• Locked thread