Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also to try and add a hint of complexity to stat weights, they created stat breakpoints where you'd get assault/support power boosts if you got your primary stat up to a certain point. In theory, this causes the value of a stat to be lower at certain values and higher at others, requiring more thought into itemization.

This broke down for a few reasons:
- Your primary stat would always give AP/SP at breakpoints.
- Your non-primary stat would always give things not AP at breakpoints.

AP was so insanely overvalued that there was no complexity in which stat to pump up.

Also, the value of the breakpoints would go up the higher the basic stat. This meant that even with the breakpoint system, which was designed to REDUCE the value of valuable stats at certain values, THE INCREMENTAL/AVERAGE VALUE WOULD STILL INCREASE AS THE VALUE OF THE STAT ROSE. The community immediately did the math and realized that the net mathematical effect of this entire, complicated system was dick-all. Stat priorities were not altered by it at all, unless you were like a couple dozen points from a non-primary stat breakpoint with an open glyph slot that couldn't hold something that would actually give you AP/SP but could give you the non-primary stat in which case thanks to the limitations of the glyph system THERE WAS ALMOST NEVER SOMETHING ELSE YOU COULD PUT IN THAT SLOT ANYWAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Das Gray posted:

Agreed.
Stats were even more disturbing in beta when we had a crazier, beefier circuit system too and milestones linked 100% to your statistics. Those milestones were littered with rng procs or amps with poo poo drop rates. At least they tried to make their systems hard for a couple of weeks until they started "listening" into oblivion.

lol what

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
All so I can be 1/40th of a blob of dickheads punching the loot piņata :nallears:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

This conversation gives me a weird feeling of absurd nostalgia from WoW. I learned early on that stacking spell crit, int, and mp5 on my paladin meant I could heal forever with nigh unlimited mana. Naturally, because this was vanilla WoW, all of those stats came primarily on cloth or mail gear for casters. Blizzard shoehorned paladins into primarily healing only in raid settings but then gave their plate literally every Stat in the game so that a paladin basically did nothing effectively. Thus, I would outroll or outbid (goddamm dkp) clothies on their gear and they would wine and bitch. The upside was that I typically out-healed all the other healers in my raid group so the raid leader put the kibosh on that batching reasonably quickly.

Considering now that some of those same designers now work on Wildstar I'm just not surprised that this Stat garbage is the case.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Saxophone posted:

This conversation gives me a weird feeling of absurd nostalgia from WoW. I learned early on that stacking spell crit, int, and mp5 on my paladin meant I could heal forever with nigh unlimited mana. Naturally, because this was vanilla WoW, all of those stats came primarily on cloth or mail gear for casters. Blizzard shoehorned paladins into primarily healing only in raid settings but then gave their plate literally every Stat in the game so that a paladin basically did nothing effectively. Thus, I would outroll or outbid (goddamm dkp) clothies on their gear and they would wine and bitch. The upside was that I typically out-healed all the other healers in my raid group so the raid leader put the kibosh on that batching reasonably quickly.

Considering now that some of those same designers now work on Wildstar I'm just not surprised that this Stat garbage is the case.

Not to defend the vanilla wow stuff, but at least at the time they did it because they just didn't know any better and thought druids and paladins and shamans would actually be "hybrids" and do all of their jobs at once or some poo poo, and so would want a bit of every stat so they could be mediocre in 2-3 roles at once instead of really good at one role like everyone else. It's where "hybrid tax" came from.

Wildstar's devs may have originally come up with that system, but they just plain ignored why it ended up not working well, and they never bothered to fix the problems a system like that creates even though there had been nearly a decade's worth of development on mmo stating and what does and doesn't work.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

they just plain ignored why it ended up not working well

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Not to defend the vanilla wow stuff, but at least at the time they did it because they just didn't know any better and thought druids and paladins and shamans would actually be "hybrids" and do all of their jobs at once or some poo poo, and so would want a bit of every stat so they could be mediocre in 2-3 roles at once instead of really good at one role like everyone else. It's where "hybrid tax" came from.

Wildstar's devs may have originally come up with that system, but they just plain ignored why it ended up not working well, and they never bothered to fix the problems a system like that creates even though there had been nearly a decade's worth of development on mmo stating and what does and doesn't work.

Valor had int and spirit on it and that was a warrior set. Might had agility and spirit. They had no idea wtf they were doing until BC.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Normal Adult Human posted:

Valor had int and spirit on it and that was a warrior set. Might had agility and spirit. They had no idea wtf they were doing until BC.

I thought spirit originally gave you HP regen in combat, so they thought tanks would want agility for dodge and spirit for HP regen, and the only reasoning I can think of for int was maybe int had spell resistance tied to it at the very start?

Basically if you look deep enough in the rabbit hole you can find the reasoning for what they did, but that doesn't make it any less retarded with any sort of hindsight. Whoever was left at blizzard figured that out and that's why BC statting wasn't pants on head retarded, but Carbine never figured that part out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

even though there had been nearly a decade's worth of development on mmo stating and what does and doesn't work.

the real lesson that nobody ever learns is that gear uberness and extreme rarity and boss farming are all really bad game design tenets

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

TBC wasn't much better for most hybrid classes. Enhancement Shaman didn't get decent tier gear till Sunwell's 3 bonus tier pieces. It's fun to go back and look at the clown suit I was wearing for our first KJ kill in Sunwell. Half leather, half mail with a PvP helm thrown on top. Had opportunity to pick up all the set pieces from Black Temple but none of them was worth wearing over ZA pieces.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Did it? I recall it having spirit, but I don't remember valor having Int...

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Mattavist posted:

Because the stats didn't do the same thing for every class. They made it so Moxie was +Crit Severity for class A and +Mana for class B.

Yeah, that's my complaint. Things like +Crit Severity and +Mana are obviously secondary stats, and instead of just putting them on the gear they made things more confusing by hiding them under a name that changes depending on which class you are playing.

"I need more +Mana so I should stack *looks at chart* Moxie, since I am an Engineer" is a needless complication when you could just have "I need more +Mana so I should stack +Mana."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

All healing classes were also DPS classes though, as were all tank classes. So you still had separate pieces of gear for each role.

One thing they did right that I still think WoW did wrong was there are no "Pure" classes. Everyone is a hybrid.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Did hybrid tax exist in wildstar anyways?

Who am I kidding, of course it did.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anatharon posted:

Less "hybrid tax" and more "all of the itemization was all over the place, who knows what they were thinking".

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

not to be off-topic but does "hybrid tax" still exists in WoW? Did it ever exist anyway

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
The D&D concept and EQ definition of a hybrid is nothing like vanilla wow or wildstar. Classes having spec choices != hybrid.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Yes, it definitely used to exist and no, they formally ditched that policy some time later.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Anatharon posted:

Even though every class had a damage and a support spec, no class really could operate as a hybrid, since your attack and support power were separate stats and you were limited to 8 abilities on the bar.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

frajaq posted:

not to be off-topic but does "hybrid tax" still exists in WoW? Did it ever exist anyway

It definitely used to exist but it was removed some time ago.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

They were just following in the footsteps of Everquest. Large chunks of vanilla EQ itemisation was brain-meltingly appalling e.g. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1498

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
https://twitter.com/mikehiggins3000/status/614569062694277120

https://twitter.com/Orbishdev/status/614699221975851008

farewell sweet prince

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Maybe they are depending on WS to enter metamorphosis on its own and emerge as a beautiful F2P game. Who needs devs or updates.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I think people forget that hybrid tax was an actual in game thing. As in, original everquest hybrids required 15% more exp to level than non-hybrids.

In terms of Vanilla WoW, there were times when you could play a true hybrid. From personal experience, 1.09 holy paladins were not just great healers but were also the best at tanking and could spike damage the hardest out of the 3 specs. Still couldn't tank worth a poo poo compared to a prot war, or do sustained dps worth a poo poo, but I crushed tons of skulls with double spellpower trinkets, a strong SoCom proc and a divine favor'd holy shock followed by a hammer of judgement.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

I think people forget that hybrid tax was an actual in game thing. As in, original everquest hybrids required 15% more exp to level than non-hybrids.

It was dumb as gently caress in Everquest too, it was never justified. Are you 15% more valuable in a team? Do you solo 15% better (soloing was pretty much something only pure casting classes did). Everquest was just horrible and lovely in pretty much every way except being first.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lol at the first guy going to Riot.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Lol at the first guy going to Riot.

I was going to say. There's been some discussion in the gamedev thread regarding the culture at Riot and the general consensus is it's a place that expects you to eat, breathe and dream League, and skews very hardcore, so - perfect fit :v:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Failboattootoot posted:

Don't forget hidden racial bonus/penalties to exp as well. Basically gently caress Troll Shadowknights in all holes.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Kessel posted:

I was going to say. There's been some discussion in the gamedev thread regarding the culture at Riot and the general consensus is it's a place that expects you to eat, breathe and dream League, and skews very hardcore, so - perfect fit :v:

aren't casuals their main cash cow

why skew hardcore when they're just welfare leeches sitting on the backs of people who pay for your salary

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Givin posted:

Don't forget hidden racial bonus/penalties to exp as well. Basically gently caress Troll Shadowknights in all holes.

such is the price you pay for being The Best Race/Class Combo

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Givin posted:

To further this for everyone who didn't play EQ, it literally took a troll / ogre SK twice the amount of exp to level vs another class. The best part of the hybrid tax? Everyone in the group received the same amount of exp. Players were penalized exp wise for even grouping with hybrids because of The Vision.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

onesixtwo posted:

To further this for everyone who didn't play EQ, it literally took a troll / ogre SK twice the amount of exp to level vs another class. The best part of the hybrid tax? Everyone in the group received the same amount of exp. Players were penalized exp wise for even grouping with hybrids because of The Vision.

i'm glad that Brad McQuaid's career crashed and burned

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I thought spirit originally gave you HP regen in combat, so they thought tanks would want agility for dodge and spirit for HP regen, and the only reasoning I can think of for int was maybe int had spell resistance tied to it at the very start?

Higher int allowed you to increase your weapon skill faster :pseudo:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best tank gear in the game were assorted pieces of blue/green leather items with high armor stats.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
And a rare-drop level 40 pair of mail gloves were the best gloves in the entire game for Warriors because they had +weapon skill, and no other gloves did.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

And a rare-drop level 40 pair of mail gloves were the best gloves in the entire game for Warriors because they had +weapon skill, and no other gloves did.

Those gloves actually dropped for me.

In wrath and therefore were worthless :smithicide:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The best tank gear in the game were assorted pieces of blue/green leather items with high armor stats.

Pre MC sure you were using stuff from lower level instances because they had stam and + def while the warrior and paladin sets had no focus. It is still odd how no one has ever been able to have sane stats and itemisation from launch despite there being 15 years of this stuff in the wild.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Chairman posted:

Even though every class had a damage and a support spec, no class really could operate as a hybrid, since your attack and support power were separate stats and you were limited to 8 abilities on the bar.

I meant in the WoW sense of "Paladins can be Healers, Tanks or DPS and thus are bad at all three", joking that all Wildstar's classes were bad at everything because hardcore.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I meant in the WoW sense of "Paladins can be Healers, Tanks or DPS and thus are bad at all three", joking that all Wildstar's classes were bad at everything because hardcore.

The hybrid tax for every class in wildstar was having to play wildstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

RottenK posted:

aren't casuals their main cash cow

why skew hardcore when they're just welfare leeches sitting on the backs of people who pay for your salary

my general perception of devs like this is that to them, casuals are some gross thing they have to put up with for money so that they can keep the game going for the real players

• Locked thread