Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Update:
Colleague came back with infected computer, turns out it's OK because "we back up to The Cloud!"

The Cloud is now infected and broken.

Hey look, it's a picture of 60% of our backups. The other 40% are buffalo drives with 3TB Seagates.

Speaking of buffalo drives, does anyone have experience with reinstalling firmware on blank drives for buffalo NASs? The fuckers install the device firmware and OS on the actual hard drives, and once the drives die or get replaced, there seems to be absolutely no way to reinstall the firmware. Buffalo support just shrugs and says, "We don't support that error" and warranty is voided if you remove the stock disks.

I guess what I'm saying is gently caress buffalo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Buffalo is pretty terrible.

http://www.buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/downloads

You should be able to find a firmware image on that site. Then if I remember correctly, the nas navigator software should be able to install it.

I've had to do it one before, and I remember it not being that hard to do, if totally stupid.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Sirotan posted:

A user just told me I had "mad multi-tasking skills" because of my ability to IM her and eat a taco at the same time.

Did you tell her you manage it via Dragon/voice to text? :magical:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

The Fool posted:

Buffalo is pretty terrible.

http://www.buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/downloads

You should be able to find a firmware image on that site. Then if I remember correctly, the nas navigator software should be able to install it.

I've had to do it one before, and I remember it not being that hard to do, if totally stupid.

Yeah, the problem is that once the firmware on the hard drive is borked or gone, nas navigator will no longer be able to connect to the device to install the firmware. It's stupid as all hell and WE KEEP BUYING THEM.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

flosofl posted:

I got caught up the fact he wrote a program that more or less created a shell script when it all could have been done in said shell script in the first place.

Or in one line as you show.

It looked more to me like he just learned how to create recursive loops in C and now had a hammer and was looking for nails.

Mea culpa. I know C far better than I know bash.

EDIT: especially late Sat night.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 29, 2015

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Here's a post to make larchesdanrew cry and the other broadcast/post goons laugh. Vendor who runs our edit suites is cleaning out their equipment room. So many dollars in now-useless Avid storage.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Ticket came in last Saturday, and I'm working on it now. It's an old 2006 iMac (the MA199LL/A) that refuses to boot. Booting in startup manager shows the disk, but from there it hangs on the spinning gear-thing. Booting from DVD doesn't seem to work, and while I can get into singleuser mode, fsck -fy returns an error 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED). Running fsck -fy returns slightly different errors and I remember reading somewhere that repeatedly running fsck -fy until you get an "all clear" can fix issues. Apart from Singleuser mode I can't boot at all. My knowledge of mac stuff is basically whatever I get from googling random error codes and symptoms. Anyone have any better ideas?

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Ticket came in last Saturday, and I'm working on it now. It's an old 2006 iMac (the MA199LL/A) that refuses to boot. Booting in startup manager shows the disk, but from there it hangs on the spinning gear-thing. Booting from DVD doesn't seem to work, and while I can get into singleuser mode, fsck -fy returns an error 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED). Running fsck -fy returns slightly different errors and I remember reading somewhere that repeatedly running fsck -fy until you get an "all clear" can fix issues. Apart from Singleuser mode I can't boot at all. My knowledge of mac stuff is basically whatever I get from googling random error codes and symptoms. Anyone have any better ideas?

Probably a dead Seagate hard drive. Swap in another drive to test and it should boot from DVD at least.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Anyone have any better ideas?

Replace the hard drive? A ten-year-old hard drive in a Mac (where most people tend to say "Yeah I leave it running all the time, sleep mode is just as good as turned off, right?") is kind of pushing it already, unless your friend replaced the drive at some point after he bought it.

On an iMac my go-to fix for this would be "Boot in repair mode, try to repair the disc, if that returns alright but it still won't boot then wipe and reinstall, and if that still has issues your hard drive is probably fried".

Obligatory soapbox: Macs are so easy to back up that there's really no excuse not to have at least a weekly backup on an external somewhere, so I hope your friend has been doing something like that. :v:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Hard drive was on my list of concerns but I wanted to see if I could boot to a DVD. I have an install DVD in there and holding C while starting up does nothing different. This made me think it was an issue beyond just the hard drive but now that I'm thinking about it it's most likely the hard drive.

We have spare 1TB hard drives lying around. Guess this iMac's getting an upgrade!

Dumb thought: Why is a dead hard drive preventing the Mac from booting from DVD?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dumb thought: Why is a dead hard drive preventing the Mac from booting from DVD?

If I had to guess, it's trying to access/check something on the drive that it knows is there and the hanging attempting to access it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dillbag posted:

Here's a post to make larchesdanrew cry and the other broadcast/post goons laugh. Vendor who runs our edit suites is cleaning out their equipment room. So many dollars in now-useless Avid storage.

It's hilarious how much of that we still have running.

And will still be running when I'm old and weathered and beaten.

:shepicide:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Dillbag posted:

Are those some old Nitris boxes I spy? Before I left my old gig at a production company we were opening boxes from our LA offices and found three Nitris DXs which they had barely used.

God bless the Avid product cycle. Buy near a couple hundred thousand million dollars (or more) of hardware and software and in two years it'll be obsolete! No wonder so many people on the ACSR e-mail list are using super outdated hardware.

Speaking of outdated hardware, I left behind about a hundred FIbre Channel cards in a drawer when I left. Death to the Xsan.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Going through a list of assets, found that #666 is a printer. Because of course it is.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Hard drive was on my list of concerns but I wanted to see if I could boot to a DVD. I have an install DVD in there and holding C while starting up does nothing different. This made me think it was an issue beyond just the hard drive but now that I'm thinking about it it's most likely the hard drive.

We have spare 1TB hard drives lying around. Guess this iMac's getting an upgrade!

Macs can only boot from media either the same or newer than the OS X they shipped with. So if it's not the install DVD for whatever version of OS X it shipped with (or a boot drive with a newer version) you're not going to have much luck.

It's a firmware thing that is there to prevent users from downgrading.

I'd say build a boot drive with Yosemite using a spare external drive and try to boot to that. See also they're handy to have around for troubleshooting if you load them up with a bunch of tools like DiskWarrior.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 29, 2015

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

pr0digal posted:

Are those some old Nitris boxes I spy? Before I left my old gig at a production company we were opening boxes from our LA offices and found three Nitris DXs which they had barely used.

God bless the Avid product cycle. Buy near a couple hundred thousand million dollars (or more) of hardware and software and in two years it'll be obsolete! No wonder so many people on the ACSR e-mail list are using super outdated hardware.

Speaking of outdated hardware, I left behind about a hundred FIbre Channel cards in a drawer when I left. Death to the Xsan.

Close, they are Adrenaline boxes. If they were smart they would have swapped them out for DXs when Avid hd their hardware rebate thing going on. Something like $2500 off a DX box if you traded in your old Mojo or Adrenaline.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

pr0digal posted:

Macs can only boot from media either the same or newer than the OS X they shipped with. So if it's not the install DVD for whatever version of OS X it shipped with (or a boot drive with a newer version) you're not going to have much luck.

It's a firmware thing that is there to prevent users from downgrading.

I'd say build a boot drive with Yosemite using a spare external drive and try to boot to that. See also they're handy to have around for troubleshooting if you load them up with a bunch of tools like DiskWarrior.

There are ways around this by making an image of whatever OS X disc you want, then modifying the installer script:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/guide-w-pictures-installing-os-x-non-retail-on-un-supported-macs.859806/

Follow those directions until you get to the Distribution file, then basically just comment this entire section out:

This also has the added bonus of allowing you to install the modified image from a flash drive, which is faster than optical media. I can verify this works great, as I recently installed 10.5.7 on an old MacBook that was running 10.5.8 because that was the only disc I had available at the time.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

MiniFoo posted:

There are ways around this by making an image of whatever OS X disc you want, then modifying the installer script:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/guide-w-pictures-installing-os-x-non-retail-on-un-supported-macs.859806/

Follow those directions until you get to the Distribution file, then basically just comment this entire section out:

This also has the added bonus of allowing you to install the modified image from a flash drive, which is faster than optical media. I can verify this works great, as I recently installed 10.5.7 on an old MacBook that was running 10.5.8 because that was the only disc I had available at the time.

That's a little easier than the ways I've done it. I built a boot drive with a newer version of OS X on it but the install media for the older version on it then booted to the new version and ran the old installer. Granted that was making 10.10 machines run 10.9.5 thanks to how slow Avid is in certifying systems :argh:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 29, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

There's something incredibly satisfying about watching industrial shredders work. :allears:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

That gif makes me happy. I don't know why but it does. efb

What doesn't make me happy? Random as gently caress employees of enterprise customers deciding that they will bypass the fact that they don't have access to the case management system by emailing me directly with their problems, then going up to their boss because it's a high priority item. When I create an outbound case on their behalf (because, you know, ~customer obsession~), "Oh wait! User X already created a case about that issue so nevermind."

You... you... you loving child. There's a reason why we have a designated group of support contacts who are authorized to open cases. Just because I gave the various VPs of your division my email address does NOT mean you, Joe Plebe, are the special snowflake that gets to bypass all of the channels we have in place.

Guess what the topic of conversation ill be in this week's cadence call?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

The only thing better than watching industrial shredders is watching industrial shredders in reverse.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Dillbag posted:

Some of that gear is newer than poo poo we're running :negative:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A user posted:

My dogging station isn't working...

That mix up between docking and dogging will always make me giggle.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dillbag posted:

Christ, we've got a stack of Unities that nobody in a million years will ever buy plus at least three or four Adrenalines but we're not allowed to bin them. I know they were upwards of $100k new, but what is it that makes it so hard for people to understand the concept of depreciation? The real estate value of the space they're taking up is worth more in a month than what you'd get for them.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

So, management wants to be CC'd on all tickets for their department. Fair enough. (As an aside, I'm really loving how customizable Spiceworks is. The email confirmations and ability to comment tickets via email is great)

Anyways, the issue with this is there is one manager in particular who, the second he gets an email notifying him a ticket has been opened, will come roaring down the hallway to my office and, in a panic, ask, "Did you get that ticket!?" He then wants me to drop everything I'm doing and take care of his department's problem.

I've explained to him time and again that, yes, I did get that ticket and that even if I'm not at my desk I am notified within a minute from my phone. He doesn't need to come verify every ticket unless it's extremely high priority like they have a live shot in two minutes and audio isn't functioning or the stove isn't working for a cooking segment. Squeaky chairs and archived media requests are not high priority.

It doesn't help that, as the lead news director, he is tangentially related to five of our seven departments and gets CC'd on every ticket they submit.

Gotta nip this one in the bud, somehow. I'm systematically abolishing all human interaction from my job, and he is really interfering with that.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

:stare: Watching that physically hurt. I'm not cut out for support I guess.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Merijn posted:

Imagine that it's an ancient piece of garbage that you need to spend hours fixing every other week, that your boss is too cheap to replace.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Merijn posted:

Computers are machines, tools, extensions of the human form. We anthropomorphize them for fun but you can't treat them personally.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Merijn posted:

If you were in support, you'd be mad you didn't get to just take a sledgehammer to it yourself.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

So, management wants to be CC'd on all tickets for their department. Fair enough. (As an aside, I'm really loving how customizable Spiceworks is. The email confirmations and ability to comment tickets via email is great)

Anyways, the issue with this is there is one manager in particular who, the second he gets an email notifying him a ticket has been opened, will come roaring down the hallway to my office and, in a panic, ask, "Did you get that ticket!?" He then wants me to drop everything I'm doing and take care of his department's problem.

I've explained to him time and again that, yes, I did get that ticket and that even if I'm not at my desk I am notified within a minute from my phone. He doesn't need to come verify every ticket unless it's extremely high priority like they have a live shot in two minutes and audio isn't functioning or the stove isn't working for a cooking segment. Squeaky chairs and archived media requests are not high priority.

It doesn't help that, as the lead news director, he is tangentially related to five of our seven departments and gets CC'd on every ticket they submit.

Gotta nip this one in the bud, somehow. I'm systematically abolishing all human interaction from my job, and he is really interfering with that.

Stop CC'ing him on tickets? Talk to his boss and ask him to tell him to cut out the panic and let you work? Do your best to ignore his panic when he comes thundering down the hall and make it very obvious that he's really overreacting to the situation? I dunno, that's all I can think of. Personally, I'd print out a big poster of the Don't Panic logo from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and just tape it to the inside of his door, or show him that every time I see him rumbling towards me, and then verbally remind him that he's overreacting to a miniscule thing. Some people just need to have their stupidity pointed out to them in a direct, but polite way until they get it through their heads and stop.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm working from home acting as coverage for another tech who is on a client site today which entails working on any remote support tickets that come in.

Of course it's a little hard to work on remote support tickets when all you're given is an IP range but no login details or info on what server you're supposed to be working on. I'm the new guy so I don't have any of this stuff committed to memory and the other support techs have not been doing a very good job of transitioning our client info sheets over to Google Docs...

I'm going to talk to my boss about this when I get a chance and volunteer to transition the info over. At the same time I'll mention how frustrating it is to be given a ticket with no real information with referenced docs that contain nothing of value.

Looks like it's lunch time while I wait for someone to get me the right info! :v:

*edit* And I'm being asked to look into a problem without being told how the client had everything configured

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 30, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Remember when a while back we got a mention that the Obama administration was thinking of eliminating the computer professionals exemption from US overtime laws?

A bitter pill came in...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

MJP posted:

Remember when a while back we got a mention that the Obama administration was thinking of eliminating the computer professionals exemption from US overtime laws?

A bitter pill came in...

“Retailers will have two options if this rule is implemented: raise prices in order to absorb a dramatic increase in labor costs, or take away the benefits, such as flexibility and leadership opportunities, that come when an associate works their way into management,” Kelly Kolb, RILA vice present of government relations, said in a statement. “Neither of these are outcomes that will raise standards of living for our employees or our customers.”

Or just, you know, hire extra people so you don't need to force your employees to work overtime. Or just suck it up and pay people what they're worth. Either way, really. I'm reminded of a quote I heard a few years ago where someone did a cost analysis and discovered that if a big company like Walmart wanted to raise the wage of every hourly employee to $12/hour, they'd be able to cover the additional cost and then some by raising the price of every item they sold by one cent. I don't know how correct that statement is, but I seriously feel like most employers these days feel like their employees should be drat grateful just for the opportunity to work, let alone be able to be paid for it.

Then again, my wife is up for review at her grocery job, and her boss keeps loudly proclaiming that "no one should be surprised if they don't get a raise", and that "people only get raises if they improve since their last review". Her last review, they literally had nothing to give her for constructive feedback on how to improve, and when she asked for some a couple weeks ago, one of the assistant managers gave her the vaguest answer ever: "you're not very consistent. Work on that." and wouldn't elaborate. So, what I'm trying to say is that I may be a bit jaded.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

My wife was recently embroiled in a battle for overtime pay at her job. She's a warranty administrator for a local dealership's service department. Essentially, she's in charge of dotting the i's and crossing the t's on warranty claims and making sure everything pays out correctly. They've also lumped the responsibility of rentals and payroll on her. She's also got to go behind her manager and fix all his mistakes, as well as document and file all service work that comes in. I've seen her come home almost in tears from how much work she has to do. She gets in at 6am and leaves at 7pm and rarely takes a lunch, but she only clocks in 40 hours a week because if she gets even 15 minutes of overtime, the comptroller and HR come down all over her for getting overtime. They are legally obligated to pay it, but they heavily discourage anyone from accruing ANY overtime. I dealt with the same thing when I was there.

She obviously can't fit all her work in 40 hours a week, but they refuse to acknowledge that. She also refuses to give up any of her responsibilities. She's tried and it never gets done correctly by the other person and ends up being more work for her to go back and fix it. She wants to be made a salaried employee, but they refuse since she's not in a management position. They're also only paying her $.10 more an hour than minimum wage and have never given her a raise that wasn't federally mandated. In the 20+ years the dealership has been in business, they've only ever given about 8 raises, and none of those over $.25 an hour.

I helped her draft up a proposal for either a raise or a salaried position, which involved typing up a list of every responsibility she has down there. It ended up being over ten pages. When she approached HR about it, the dickhead called her sweetie and assured her that one of their sister dealerships pulls in much more service and warranty work every day, but their warranty administrator is only part-time and can finish all her work. She called him out and pointed out an email from their regional rep stating that their department was pulling in the second highest volume of service requests in the state, and was number one in warranty claim profits and that she has been responsible for their department profiting almost a million dollars in the last three months alone, while sales has only profited about half that. He basically called her a liar and kicked her out.

My father is the GM. The one time in my life I called in that favor was when I went in and explained the situation to him. I feel dirty about it, but the end result was that he personally jumped down the comptroller's throat about being so petty and forbid him from ever mentioning overtime to her again.

That extra 15+ hours of overtime every week have been a godsend.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't know why you would feel dirty about that. I'm actually kind of shocked they would be so lovely to the GM's daughter-in-law to begin with.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't know why you would feel dirty about that. I'm actually kind of shocked they would be so lovely to the GM's daughter-in-law to begin with.

Don't be. The vehicle industry, in a lot of areas, is still "good ol'boys" and women just don't know anything about cars and LOL.

Sexism is alive and well and loving people over in the workplace hahah.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like she needs to :yotj:. Like seriously, she's getting paid $7.35 an hour and doing all that? Or am I misreading?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

It's worse than that. The service manager is her father, but he's pretty inept when it comes to the actual intricacies of the bureaucracy. His major talent is that he's a vehicle maintenance savant and has the ability to soothe even the most irate customer. He's a fantastically loyal employee that worked his way up from an oil change tech over 30 years ago, but that comes at the cost of him being an absolute spineless pushover when it comes to higher ups. He has never once sided with her on an issue, and even when she's overwhelmingly right on an issue, he'll always side with the inept management until proven wrong.

When I worked there, my father treated me worse than anyone. I started off washing cars and he constantly berated and belittled me in front of others, so as not to appear like he was showing nepotism. There's also a whole slew of daddy issues we have, but that's neither here nor there. The bottom line is that he has a personal life personality and a work life personality. The two NEVER interfere with each other, so his son and his daughter-in-law may as well be some second-chance ex-cons they've graced with work opportunities.

I may have also sort of threatened to withhold grandchild visitations if he didn't do something about it.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Sounds like she needs to :yotj:. Like seriously, she's getting paid $7.35 an hour and doing all that? Or am I misreading?

Yeah. She gets a monthly commission check that technically averages out to her getting $12-14 an hour, but that's wholly dependent on customers coming in with warranty work. Some months her commission check isn't any larger than her weekly pay.

I've spoken with her about :yotj: but she's stubborn. She dropped out of college to marry her ex-husband and there aren't many opportunities out there for someone like her. Her only other real options is working as a vet tech, which she did for about 8 years, but that only pays minimum wage and the hours are worse. She's shown interest in being an ultrasound tech. I'm trying to convince her to go back to school. She tried a few years ago, but her epilepsy got a little out of hand and then she got pregnant so she dropped out again.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail this hard. Carry on with ticket talk.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Siochain posted:

Don't be. The vehicle industry, in a lot of areas, is still "good ol'boys" and women just don't know anything about cars and LOL.

Sexism is alive and well and loving people over in the workplace hahah.

I meant I was surprised because of the family connection.

• Locked thread