Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What were carriers-only battles like, for those of you who got to set up Practice Rooms to test that out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

cheese posted:

I think its the inevitability of it all. I see the bombers coming from 15km and I don't feel like there is much I can do other than try to make sure its only 2 or 3 that hit me and not all 6.

Exactly my feeling, against a decent player the best you can do is perhaps take 1 torp per squad.

Upgraded New York (best AA on T5) vs *T4 jap CV* :
He sends 2 torp bomber squadron against me
I maneuver as best I can to keep facing them and turn at all time, he keep circling me mostly out of AA range (3.5km or so) meanwhile my long range AA manage to down 1 Plane in the process.
He commit to the attack and send the two grouped squads in my 3/4 front (inside my turn circle)
My AA manage to destroy another plane before he drop torpedoes, then finish the squadron I had locked as they pass over me.
Still 6 torp dropped at very short range
I take 2 and lose 30% HP, which is quite lucky.

Good think they were nobody else around otherwise I'd have been a pretty easy target for any other ship as I was too busy maneuvering best I could

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Its kinda best to regard almost every CV players right now as knowing how to manual drop like a boss. Those are the guys that would after all know CV's has the hardest time tier difference wise and are trying to get ahead before anyone else

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
And they know that now is the fastest time to level carriers by farming all the AAless Arkansas. An IJN carrier getting a game without an opposing carrier is basically an easy guaranteed 800-1k base exp game on a loss and up to 2k on a win. That goes away once the floodgates open and there are not at least three Arkansas in every game up to tier 5.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't think I'd enjoy Battleships as much as I do. There's nothing quite like having all 6 guns broadside another Battleship into oblivion from full HP. I just don't have the patience for Destroyer play.

The St. Louis is also quite hilarious for its tier. The amount of shells you can place down range is amazing.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Met this guy :
http://worldofwarships.eu/community/accounts/503973851-/
http://www.twitch.tv/papedipupi

100k damage on average, sea-clubbing all time every time !

Krogort fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 30, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Stanley Pain posted:

The St. Louis is also quite hilarious for its tier. The amount of shells you can place down range is amazing.

The Omaha and Cleveland aren't as powerful within their respective tiers, but they follow the same formula of vomit shells, take names, give no fucks.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

The Omaha and Cleveland aren't as powerful within their respective tiers, but they follow the same formula of vomit shells, take names, give no fucks.

The Phoenix seems pretty good too. The gun angles seem very nice as well. I've seen people able to keep a lot of guns on target by doing a small serpentine.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stevefin posted:

Its kinda best to regard almost every CV players right now as knowing how to manual drop like a boss. Those are the guys that would after all know CV's has the hardest time tier difference wise and are trying to get ahead before anyone else

Do you mean those guys who can seemingly drop torpedoes about 20 feet away? Because I have no idea how i'm supposed to handle those guys. It's like if they want someone dead they're gonna die and you just have to hope it's not you.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Do you mean those guys who can seemingly drop torpedoes about 20 feet away? Because I have no idea how i'm supposed to handle those guys. It's like if they want someone dead they're gonna die and you just have to hope it's not you.

Seems like the solution would be simple to fix this. Increase the min arming time/range so that the have to drop with a decent bit of lead time.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Pretty much yeah, Don't play battleships is what I am doing right now, least till they have moved up a few tiers, or the more casual players start picking up their carriers

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Krogort posted:

Met this guy :
http://worldofwarships.eu/community/accounts/503973851-/
http://www.twitch.tv/papedipupi

100k damage on average, sea-clubbing all time every time !

Watching him live now. He just had an almost 8k xp game like nothing.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
And despite CV balance being all kinda of crazy right now, Kongo continues to give no fucks Also, killing higher-tier stuff seems to be hilariously profitable. This was a daily, but still.

Though to be fair, I merely helped carrying in that match.

The two of us were up against a New York, Kongo, Atago, Myoko and Ryojou after our entire team poo poo the bed and we managed to murder everything but the carrier while the 4:1 cap domination ticked down. My own major contributions were nuking ~90% of the health of a Cleveland with a double-cit, erasing the Myoko and a low-health Atago and ending the game with a point blank thunderdome brawl against the other Kongo - by the time the Atago player lent a hand and finished her off, that Kongo was a 1500hp and we were so close to each other that the secondaries were rocking away and neither of us could swing the primaries around fast enough to track. :black101:

Still a crazy payout for "just" 100k damage.

Also, I was kinda on fire a lot during this one. But eh, who cares?

Magni fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 30, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
DD tier 3 captain skill : High Alert or Superintendent ?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Right now, I'd go with High Alert, then perhaps grab Superintendent later.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

CVs have always been stupid good at lower tiers and fallen off drastically at higher tiers when people get effective AA, not sure why people are so surprised.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Japanese CVs have always been good, and especialy at high tier.
Only when they nerfed manual drop did they "suck" for a while.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Krogort posted:

Japanese CVs have always been good, and especialy at high tier.
Only when they nerfed manual drop did they "suck" for a while.

The Hosho and the Zuiho are worth exiting to Port if there's a Langley, Bogue or Independence on the other side. American fighters are unbeatable, almost undodgable, and can strip you of every torpedo bomber in your hangar without reloading.

Likewise the Langley and Bogue are utterly pointless unless there's a Japanese CV on the other side, because dive bombers are really only useful for hurting destroyers and resetting cap.

It is a myth that low tier CVs have been stupid good, because since they introduced underwhelming Japanese CVs with their lack of useful fighters, and simultaneously hammered American ones with a massive nerf to their anti-ship capability, it's not been remotely true.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 30, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I had great fun using American fighters to troll the poo poo out of enemy CVs. Just use your two squads to destroy all the enemy planes then you have free reign of the skies for the rest of the match. It's a very dumb setup in its current incarnation.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fighters are amazing for looping around destroyer and making their smoke useless too.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I was gone for about a month, can anybody tell me about the patch, and whether or not the Shimakaze is still good?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Sheep posted:

I had great fun using American fighters to troll the poo poo out of enemy CVs. Just use your two squads to destroy all the enemy planes then you have free reign of the skies for the rest of the match. It's a very dumb setup in its current incarnation.

xthetenth posted:

Fighters are amazing for looping around destroyer and making their smoke useless too.

Yup, fighters are indeed very good at not scoring any experience or credits.

Just force every carrier into one single balanced loadout and be done with it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

El_Molestadore posted:

Watching him live now. He just had an almost 8k xp game like nothing.

He's in a tier 9 carrier already.. Jebus. He just swatted 2 Sims that were actively dodging him like he was casually swatting flys. They had absolutely no chance of dodging or surviving he dropped so close. He then wiped a BB from the map by putting 3 groups of TB's together and dropping them as a unit. Only 'two' hits from the spread, but each 'hit' contained 3 torpedoes (1 from each group) so he basically one-shot the BB from near full health, and it was actively steering towards his planes. Didn't matter.

In my own slow crawl, I'm doing doubles on maybe 4 ships, every couple of nights, and last night unlocked my first tier 4 with this game. I hate the low tier US DD's, because they have such terrible torpedo range vs. their concealment, and normally have really terrible games.

I did almost all of this in the last 5 minutes of the match, by finally being somewhat patient and waiting until the enemy ships were in middle of the islands or fully committed to slugfests with my teammates and taking shots of opportunity. For the early game I managed to lose most of my health in a failed cap attempt, after which I tried to hide, then thought I saw a hole I could sneak through, and drove into the enemy backfield and soloed their carrier, which was the only carrier in the game. Then I came back and put the rest of my torpedo hits into the surviving BB's in the islands.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Krogort posted:

DD tier 3 captain skill : High Alert or Superintendent ?

Ask yourself, would you ever not want an extra smoke charge, or engine boost? Secondly, are you taking enough criticals that you want to repair 6 seconds faster than you normally can?

Answers: Yes, you want the charges. No, you can't take enough damage to repair that frequently, and remember that you can actually run from most engagements.

edit: I think your skill choices can change between USN and IJN, but for my USN dude:
1: Situation Awareness
2: Torpedo Armament Expertise
3: Superintendent
4: Advanced Firing Training (USN only, IMO. Allows you to fire from stealth at 12-15km range, if you can handle the 13-18 second hang time.)
5: Concealment Expert
After this, I'm not sure where I want to go with points. I wouldn't mind having the 10% reload reduction on skills as a second 5-pointer, but I'm not sure how many months of grinding that would take to get.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 30, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Apparently they are letting an undefined number of non-closed beta people in to stress test the servers before fully opening it up to everyone. Sign up if you can before they close it again.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Warspite bundle for sale for 30 bucks.
What does this bundle include?
The warspite and a slot.

I am sorry but I am not going to pay 30 bucks for a battleship.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

texasmed posted:

Ask yourself, would you ever not want an extra smoke charge, or engine boost? Secondly, are you taking enough criticals that you want to repair 6 seconds faster than you normally can?

Answers: Yes, you want the charges. No, you can't take enough damage to repair that frequently, and remember that you can actually run from most engagements.

I get your point but there are often times where those 6 seconds of disabled propultion or rudder could mean a lot.
That being said the next rank of survivability skills would solve that.

Michaellaneous posted:

Warspite bundle for sale for 30 bucks.
What does this bundle include?
The warspite and a slot.

I am sorry but I am not going to pay 30 bucks for a battleship.

Here in europe we have a Warspite Bundle for 50€.
Include :
Warspite
Port slot
5000 gold
30 days premium

Looks even worse although it's probably "worth" the same.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Rather just buy gold to get Atago!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

texasmed posted:

edit: I think your skill choices can change between USN and IJN, but for my USN dude:
1: Situation Awareness
2: Torpedo Armament Expertise
3: Superintendent
4: Advanced Firing Training (USN only, IMO. Allows you to fire from stealth at 12-15km range, if you can handle the 13-18 second hang time.)
5: Concealment Expert
After this, I'm not sure where I want to go with points. I wouldn't mind having the 10% reload reduction on skills as a second 5-pointer, but I'm not sure how many months of grinding that would take to get.

For the full 19 points, I think I'd take the following for IJN destroyers.
1: Situation Awareness - Since you really don't want to be spotted without being aware of it, this is practically mandatory.
2: Torpedo Armament Expertise - They're your primary weapon. Anything that improves them you should probably take
3: Tossup - I'm honestly not finding smoke as useful anymore, after they cut both how long you lay if for and how long it lasts, but it can help at times. The new ability is neat. On the other hand, as mentioned that 6 seconds can occasionally make a big difference, and the Tier 4 skill is competing against other choices.
4: Demolition Expert - The extra gunnery range isn't too useful in my opinion for IJN destroyers because they're a secondary weapon. You'll typically only be using them at close range anyways, where the increased range is pointless, and when it's not they still have fairly good base range with a 2+km gap between being spotted and max range. On the other hand, a +3% chance is small, but you're putting out enough shots for it to make a noticeable difference. Last Stand is your other choice and it certainly seems to help solve a big issue, but since it doesn't give numbers I'm not sure how effective it ultimately is.
5: Concealment Expert - Obvious choice is obvious. I suppose if you absolutely needed a secondary choice you could go for Preventive Maintenance or Jack of All Trades.

With the final four points, and potentially taken before some of the highest options, I'd go with these.
2: Aiming Expert - You have painfully slow rotation speed on your turrets which this drastically helps. And given you'll most often need them against enemy destroyers that extra turn speed can actually give you a fighting chance.
Tossup - I'd go for either Fire Prevention(2), since with your low hp you really don't want a fire burning, or Basic Firing Training(1) and Basics of Survivability(1). BFT helps for obvious reasons, while Survivability is really only due to having 1 point remaining. It could prove handy occasionally.

Also, if the skill cap was not changed, you can only ever pick up one 5-point skill. 19 points available, picking one from each level gets you to 15 spent.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 30, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Man, I had completely forgotten what an absolute dogshit ship the Phoenix is in the initial configuration, holy poo poo. Three guns in the broadside. Less than the T1 ships. Who the gently caress would look at that and decide that's a balanced T4?

The guns are inaccurate as gently caress, too.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I am terrible at avoiding torpedoes and torp bomber often ruin my day, what am I doing wrong ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HEiyWDcVLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsDDFN842Fs

Also I made this, might interest some of you :

Krogort fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 30, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Whats nice about taking superintendent on a DD is that you can start the game by popping your nitro boost and so long as you don't leeroy into a cap point you should have enough time to manuever for a torp run and have the 2nd charge good to go for getting out. Getting to where you want to be ASAP is invaluable for setting up torp runs early and also lets you spot the enemy before they spot your allies. You can also be a lot more liberal with using smoke, since you have 3 charges instead of 2. Its overall the best choice for a DD, in my opinion. High alert is nice, sure, but fire isn't enough of a worry to warrant popping a damage control on unless you're about to die, so you can save it for flooding (HOW DID YOU GET TORPED) or engine/rudder damage. If you get your engine knocked out twice... well... perhaps you shouldn't have gone balls deep? Honorable mention to Vigilance, as it can save allies' lives and make the low chance of you eating torps even lower.

Today's been a good day for me. Lots of Confederate and High Caliber awards.

Battleships that can't dodge Isokaze torps. An easy win.

The St. Louis doing its thing.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 30, 2015

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Jingles is pretty easy to rile up :argh:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Krogort posted:

I am terrible at avoiding torpedoes and torp bomber often ruin my day, what am I doing wrong ?

Nothing really that I can see. In the 2nd video you might have done better to turn into the planes after eating the first torpedo run instead of away, but if a carrier is going to devote 3 TB groups to you, and manual drop, you are absolutely going to get hit unless he's bad or you get really lucky. When they stagger the drops like that 2nd video, they are trying to get you to burn your repair immediately (like you did) and then cause flooding with the next drops (you got lucky).

In the first video, you ate 2 torps because he dropped both groups as a single unit, doubling them up, so you did pretty good, if you got hit at all it was going to be with two. If he'd dropped slightly off to either side you might have been able to thread them and get a complete miss, but that's just luck as much as anything.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Is there a way to display ship/player names all the time instead of hitting alt?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Is there a way to display ship/player names all the time instead of hitting alt?

There's an option to set that information to permanently toggle on. Should be in the same spot as the collision avoidance autopilot setting.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If Michaelous is one of you, sorry about being a bad Atago driver. Rudder shift is almost double what I'm used to.

Also anyone have a suggested Atago build?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The Locator posted:

Nothing really that I can see. In the 2nd video you might have done better to turn into the planes after eating the first torpedo run instead of away, but if a carrier is going to devote 3 TB groups to you, and manual drop, you are absolutely going to get hit unless he's bad or you get really lucky. When they stagger the drops like that 2nd video, they are trying to get you to burn your repair immediately (like you did) and then cause flooding with the next drops (you got lucky).

In the first video, you ate 2 torps because he dropped both groups as a single unit, doubling them up, so you did pretty good, if you got hit at all it was going to be with two. If he'd dropped slightly off to either side you might have been able to thread them and get a complete miss, but that's just luck as much as anything.

Just seconding the "turn into the torps" advice. If you had turned into the first torp drop instead of away it looks like it would have hit you before it armed. I prefer turning in personally because I noticed CVs like to get greedy and try to drop torps as close as possible. The first vid you played pretty much perfectly, and if I was the CV pilot in question I wouldn't say either of those were successful runs on you.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Just logged into the game, seem to have sprouted an extra week of premium, 1000 gold and I now have 10 free ship slots. I bought one of the Humble Bundle Murmansk codes, so I'm guessing that's where it came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Yep

quote:

Captains,
We value your support of World of Warships and we take to heart the feedback you’ve given us over the past week. Know that we’ve read each and every one of your messages.

As you’re reading this we have begun the process of crediting the full value of the originally advertised bundle on Humble Bundle. There are many of you who purchased the E3 Digital Ticket Humble Bundle, so please be patient as we begin to respond to all of you in waves -- expect about 72 hours to have the goods reflected on your accounts.

If You Have Already Received the Murmansk*

You will have the following credited to your account in the coming days:

7 Days of Premium time
5 Port Slots
1,000 Doubloons

*This code set can only be redeemed once per account.

PLEASE NOTE: If you have not received the Murmansk on your account yet and you have redeemed the code, please file a ticket with Customer Support and provide your Humble Bundle code.

If You Have Not Redeemed Your Humble Bundle E3 Digital Ticket Code (Available From 06/15/15 to 06/19/15)*

We have re-enabled the codes to allow those who missed the original deadline the chance to redeem these codes. The codes will be active until December 31, 2015. Upon redeeming, the following will be activated on your account:

Murmansk, including Port Slot, and a 3 Skill Commander
7 Days of Premium time
5 Port Slots
1,000 Doubloons

*This code set can only be redeemed once per account.

PLEASE NOTE: If you have attempted to redeem the code on the web portal and were told it was expired, please try again. If you continue to experience difficulties please submit a Customer Support Ticket.

Thank you for your continued partnership and passion for World of Warships as we all work to launch Open Beta.

We look forward to seeing you soon on the high seas.
The 7 days premium, 1k gold, and 5 port slots just appeared on my account.