Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's being compared to WMH, but I think it looks more like a bad version of Wrath of Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah that's what I think as well, the simple unit based selection, the focus on synergy between units of the same faction

e: but then wrath of kings is obviously targeted as a simpler version of warmahordes

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously though measuring from the model is the laziest solution to the issue of clumsily turning their game of ranked infantry into a skirmish system.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Yeah well with these rules I need to see their units before I say anything.

The writing is attrocious. I do not mean dusty... pregnant with story and mysteries lengthy, but composed of nothing but buzzword salad. Thats... worrisome. Half the appeal of fantasy to me was it's creepy setting full of mystery and people struggling in dark shadows. It's the dirt in the cracks that brings life to the generic Setting. I need to see more effort in the setting before I get on board here.

The rules are simple and seem janky. Since all we have is skeleton rules my impression is not super enthusiastic. I guess when a company is trying to reboot a failing game it's important to only release the boring bad parts first? It's not like the rules could be put up for free online.

Having an advertisement to buy more models at the start of the rules, when giant model bloat helped kill the last edition is like making drinking jokes at the funeral of *insert tragic celebrity death*. It just comes off as awful in a 4 page rules packet.

I feel confident saying magic rules killed fantasy for a LOT of people. They look to still be there. That's worrisome. The prospect of a new avalanche of magic lores on individual cards doesn't sound like a good system.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Radish posted:

Seriously though measuring from the model is the laziest solution to the issue of clumsily turning their game of ranked infantry into a skirmish system.

Just had a thought, I wonder if you measure to the same point for deployment too?..

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

enri posted:

Just had a thought, I wonder if you measure to the same point for deployment too?..

I turn my dwarf with his 12" codpiece spear 90° on the deployment line and looks like I charge you first turn! Here comes the Scruntlust!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

enri posted:

I look forward to the creative ways people will break this system.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

This is all extremely confusing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Phoon posted:

e: but then wrath of kings is obviously targeted as a simpler version of warmahordes

Oh, definitely, and I don't think that's a mark against WoK. There's definitely a niche for it, since lots of people dislike the kind of Rube-Goldberg machinations you get there or in Malifaux.

But WoK's rules are definitely written to facilitate fast play. I'm seeing a lot of needless time-sinks in AoS; Places where you stop doing a thing, roll and resolve some dice, then continue doing the thing. Spell casting involves rolling two dice, then waiting for your opponent to roll two dice, and then resolving the spell (which almost certainly will involve more dice.) That's really weird design if your goal is a quick, light skirmish game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Otiose posted:

How about other games like Pokémon or role-playing games? (Who can remember them, now?).

Who can remember them, now?

Who can remember them, now?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

God can we quit posting scrunts for like ten seconds?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

new mantic slogan: our elves are still called elves

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

GW Death Pool 2014-2015: As long as you've got your elf, that's the main... oh

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phoon posted:

new mantic slogan: our elves are still called elves

I usually don't mind mantic models (there orcs are pretty sick for example) but they make probably the ugliest elves I've ever seen.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
there's nothing more marmite than the mantic elves

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fsmhunk posted:

I usually don't mind mantic models (there orcs are pretty sick for example) but they make probably the ugliest elves I've ever seen.

Privateer Press (used to at least) gave them a run for their money.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Oruuks.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I still love the fact that GWs response to getting burned by having other producers provide their players models they themselves refused to produce in a timely manner is to go back and spell everything like they just fell down a flight of stairs. Everyone goes on and on about their customer service, but this seems like a response that would be used to explain to a class how NOT to do customer service.

Also not great for PR/sales. Congratulations on making it impossible for some random kid doing a web search for Orcs or Elves to find your product!

counterspin fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 30, 2015

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Gw is trying awfully hard to burn their fantasy line to the ground. There were like 60 new posts in Fantasy between now and lunch. At this rate this thread feels barren and empty with the minor blips of negativity.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It looks worse than we ever could have imagined. It's almost beautiful, in how purely it distills GW.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Somehow I feel like they'll have their trademarked obfuscation of all mechanics and rules in there somehow. Like, it can't be a GW game unless there's a dozen varieties of first strike

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Chill la Chill posted:

Somehow I feel like they'll have their trademarked obfuscation of all mechanics and rules in there somehow. Like, it can't be a GW game unless there's a dozen varieties of first strike

don't worry because instead of having a constant 12-20 rules regarding psychology, etc. spread across all units, it now looks like each unit is going to have its own individualized rules that are minorly different from one another.

in typical GW fashion, they've somehow decided to almost do the right thing by slimming down the rules to 4 pages, but then massively poo poo themselves by adding hundreds of individualized rules. i mean they've leaked like 4 of the warscrolls and there's an average of 2 unique rules on each.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know how we joked that the End Times were GW's warning shot that 'no, seriously, you don't want us advancing plot lines'? I think the Age of Sigmar rules are the same, but for 'No, seriously, you don't want us to write any new systems.'

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Night10194 posted:

You know how we joked that the End Times were GW's warning shot that 'no, seriously, you don't want us advancing plot lines'? I think the Age of Sigmar rules are the same, but for 'No, seriously, you don't want us to write any new systems.'

In the past I've half-jokingly compared it to economic conservatives trying to destroy public services' ability to function so they can have an excuse to privatize everything, but more and more it feels as though that is literally, unironically it

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I would have thought that GW would know that if they want to set one of their IPs on fire in a dumpster and urinate on the ashes then they can do that without having to prove anything to anyone first, but that would presume a semblance of rationality that I'm no longer sure is the case.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JerryLee posted:

I would have thought that GW would know that if they want to set one of their IPs on fire in a dumpster and urinate on the ashes then they can do that without having to prove anything to anyone first, but that would presume a semblance of rationality that I'm no longer sure is the case.

I think Business Gorilla is right and this is the new CEO's baby that no-one can tell him should never have been.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It feels like they considered Dreadfleet to be an excellent starting point for their rules moving forward.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I think Business Gorilla is right and this is the new CEO's baby that no-one can tell him should never have been.

I remember a statement from him that was something along the lines of him wanting to get the hobby accessible to 13-year-old kids like he was when he became attracted to it, and I could honestly see a really stripped-down, size-flexible army building scheme as being an attempt to do that.

The thing is though that even with that as your design document, what we're seeing of these rules is such an incredible, incredible clusterfuck. I'm certain there are ways to design a reasonably balanced and fun skirmish game without points as such, for example. GW just will not, absolutely will not lift a finger to do that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The odd thing is conceptually, you can see Games Workshop trying to create a new system that is similar to other, more modern systems both in rules and models. That's not *terrible* by itself.

On the other hand, they completely tore down an established game system with a completely different scale to do it, and are still pricing their models well above the rest of the market.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JerryLee posted:

I'm certain there are ways to design a reasonably balanced and fun skirmish game without points as such, for example. GW just will not, absolutely will not lift a finger to do that.
isn't it really loving easy? Like, you have set unit categories (hq, elite, mass, warmachine, donkeys, etc) and then have pre-set game tiers with options for each tier? It doesn't seem hard to make a streamlined set up at all. In fact I thought people introduced this run of rumors with something like that?

Also serious question do they actually call things "psychology rules" or are they all BATTLESHOCK rules now? I mean I did read that, right. It feels like a fever dream. Battleshock I mean. Well it stands out as the naked clown miming midway through the fever dream, but you know what I mean.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

JerryLee posted:

GW is the WWE of miniature wargaming. We just need Tom Kirby to show up at tournaments Games Days gaming conventions whatever GW stores still exist, and swagger around before telling the store's lone staff member "YOU'RRRRE FIRRRRED" because they didn't sell enough product.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Spiderdrake posted:

isn't it really loving easy? Like, you have set unit categories (hq, elite, mass, warmachine, donkeys, etc) and then have pre-set game tiers with options for each tier? It doesn't seem hard to make a streamlined set up at all. In fact I thought people introduced this run of rumors with something like that?

you could do this but gw's philosophy isnt "if we get good rules people will want to buy multiple lists", its "we need to sell as much poo poo as humanly possible so make the rules around that"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gaze on these rule-like objects of wonder

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Ogors

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Ogors, jerry

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

OGORS!!!!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

'Purest Sigmarite'.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

blood warriors are the loving best poo poo

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Night10194 posted:

'Purest Sigmarite'.
Where do you get an ore from a god-king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Chaos dudes are basically just Khorne Bezerkers, so it's going to be cool for 40k guys to buy those up and use them I guess?

• Locked thread