Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Just reading up a bit on my newly aquiered medium-classed land cruiser. Prototype Nr.8 was destroyed with two shots from a british 25mm hotchkiss anti tank gun from 940m away during the battle of Kvam in 1940, not that suprising really. Nr 9 and 10 were fighting a group of BT-7 tanks near Sitno, Rivne Oblast (ukraine) in 1941 when a KV-2 took out both vehicles with a single 152mm shell from ~500m. A captain Penetzko, who watched this from his BT-7 noted 'in place of the tanks there was only smoke, they must be made from paper*'

*freely translated from the german translation of the czech book "G.I. Penezko: Psano na tanku"

What a beautiful 'paper tank' :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Skoll posted:

I wanted to believe the A-36 was exceptional but it feels like a copy/paste of the cannon mustang FM. It's a letdown imo. Still an ok fighter for it's tier but not remarkable at all.

The Helldiver is pretty loving fun though, seems to have the Dauntless FM and it has great default belts for the cannons.

That's because it's literally the cannon mustang with shittier weapons

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

That's because it's literally the cannon mustang with shittier weapons

Wow, you're awesome at being a retarded parrot that mimics what other people say. :mediocre:

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Shanakin posted:

welp. The J is indeed much faster. the Ja is not.

Good thing I haven't even touched the Ja.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

What are rewards from tanks looking like post patch?

Wait they removed airbrakes from the p47m!?

Dead Like Rev fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 30, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I dunno if it's been mentioned anywhere yet but in the decal list, under the "Special" category, there are five new decals you can buy for 500 eagles each. They are all pirate skull-and-crossbones/swords, including a good old fashioned Jolly Roger black flag.

Probably going to be overused and the price is stupid but el-oh-loving-el if anyone can argue against the call of sky piracy.

e: oh boy there is probably going to be a fresh bounty of people to report with these and the number 8 decal used conspicuously.

e2: Il-2M3 feels a lot more sluggish now, gonna have to give it some flights without the rockets equipped.

Sard fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 30, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Dead Like Rev posted:

What are rewards from tanks looking like post patch?

I'm not noticing much difference. I netted 1.7k XP from 4 kills at BR 3.3 (reduced by 50% for rank research disparity; end sum was about 800).

Also bring winter camo to finland. Tanks will drive straight past you so long as you're not moving or shooting. It's hilarious. Finland does actually seem like a really good map, copious cover both hard and soft, lots of hiding spots, and both points can be dug-in around if you're defending.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

spectralent posted:

I'm not noticing much difference. I netted 1.7k XP from 4 kills at BR 3.3 (reduced by 50% for rank research disparity; end sum was about 800).

Also bring winter camo to finland. Tanks will drive straight past you so long as you're not moving or shooting. It's hilarious. Finland does actually seem like a really good map, copious cover both hard and soft, lots of hiding spots, and both points can be dug-in around if you're defending.

So much for increased rewards

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
RP reward %s didn't change at all on any of the tanks I looked at :|

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
So this is something I also tend to do. Works best when you have a competent wingman/winglady (not my video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmiN9tXwe8

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Fakeout into a rolling scissors?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
190 found the one plane less agile than it.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Dead Like Rev posted:

Wait they removed airbrakes from the p47m!?
Why would they do this?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Mercrom posted:

Why would they do this?

Because they often do stupid poo poo like that on accident or because they don't have triple notarized original documents signed by the engineering team.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Presumably it was because they aren't supposed to work like airbrakes and the thing they actually do wasn't modelled correctly? Seems like as good an explanation as any I've seen so far.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The SU-100Y's gun :stare:

It's like you take an SU-152, but double the muzzle velocity and chop 5 seconds off the reload time. (Also your tank is a giant barn the size of a maus)

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
It feels a lot more agile than the SU-152, more like an ISU-122. Just bigger, boxier and with less armor. But the gun is pretty sweet and its giant, boxy walls make for great propaganda poster.

Also the gif is not distroted, it's that long. Probably because it's based on the T-100 heavy tank chassis, which was pretty similar to the SMK in layout and size.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

jadebullet posted:

It kind of sucks that all of the cool tanks are premium. That Super Hellcat and the SU100 seemed really cool.

Yeah, makes me wonder how good they are doing on the financial side of things right now.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hm, it seems they removed the France section of certain achievements/medals at some point, but left Italy (and one instance of Australia).

Edit: Did they ever add the WIP mouse aim to the main client?

Azran fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 30, 2015

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Azran posted:

Yeah, makes me wonder how good they are doing on the financial side of things right now.

Eh, they've kinda covered most of the regular production vehicles in the timeframe in question. Premium vehicles in this game have always tended to either prototypes, one-offs (or few-offs) and captured vehicles.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Taerkar posted:

Eh, they've kinda covered most of the regular production vehicles in the timeframe in question. Premium vehicles in this game have always tended to either prototypes, one-offs (or few-offs) and captured vehicles.
They also seem to be giving away premium stuff on a pretty regular basis in events.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Are you guys forgetting that this company was doing events with actual irl tanks there on display like in their first year that this game was out?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Christ, the Il-2 feels gutted after this patch. Great patch for the most part, but one of my favorite airplanes and the one I've been flying the most lately went from challenging but capable to hosed. The guns can't kill tanks, the payload has been cut in half, the rockets are firing like they're anti-air rockets and arc upwards instead of arcing down the reticle distance marks, and the thing just handles worse all around.

And they still took away the red nose on my special one, but I guess I can learn to like the new look.

:smithicide:

Sard fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 30, 2015

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
They seemed to have moved on to sponsering tank restoration and WW2 movies.

edit: I know I'm late to the party here but the Tempest II is just so drat good.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It's F2P. You have to be murdering it on purpose to not succeed financially. Even Dust514 is profitable.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Thief posted:

Are you guys forgetting that this company was doing events with actual irl tanks there on display like in their first year that this game was out?

Bah, that's like doing a party with a bouncy castle in the US.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Shanakin posted:

edit: I know I'm late to the party here but the Tempest II is just so drat good.

I have retired my Tempest II since I have been playing the naval line inside out to unlock the Sea Fury :britain:

Both planes are so loving great that when I fly Meteors I am more relieved to have only them on my team rather than other jets.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Thief posted:

I have retired my Tempest II since I have been playing the naval line inside out to unlock the Sea Fury :britain:

Both planes are so loving great that when I fly Meteors I am more relieved to have only them on my team rather than other jets.

I won a talisman for the Tempest 2 when I was flying a griffon spit around a bit yesterday. Modules are just getting unlocked every couple of kills and the kills keep rolling in. It's unlocked a couple of planes in the process for me too.

I see a lot of love for this thing into the future..... and Tempest II's in combined arms sounds like a brutal combination. 2x1000lbs bombs on a stupidly fast low altitude fighter. mmmmh

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Finally got around to using a gold wager. Played russian 3.7 tanks for the whole thing. 21 wins in a row, 1 game 'didn't count' because I got 4 assists and no kills.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrLonghair posted:

Even Dust514 is profitable.
Surely you jest.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
Which should I research next, Bf-109 K-4 or Fw-190 D-9?

Bearing in mind I have the Fw-190 D-13. I guess I'm mainly asking in the D-9 (or the Ta-152) is different enough from the D-13 that I should bother unlocking it before I finish unlocking the Bf-109s.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 30, 2015

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

New britplane? I'll take it for a test flight!

http://gfycat.com/PhysicalInfatuatedHeifer

Yes the wings are rather wide.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Aesaar posted:

Which should I research next, Bf-109 K-4 or Fw-190 D-9?

Bearing in mind I have the Fw-190 D-13. I guess I'm mainly asking in the D-9 (or the Ta-152) is different enough from the D-13 that I should bother unlocking it before I finish unlocking the Bf-109s.

If you have the D13 then the other doras aren't too dissimilar. The D9 has 2x13mm MG's and 2x20mm cannons. Its engine isn't tuned for quite as high altitudes so it can actually perform better than the D12 and D13 in some cases but it's not a huge difference. The D12 is the same as the D13 except you swap the nose cannon for a 30mm Mk108.

The Ta-152 is what it is but the D13 is basically the same package with better performance everwhere it counts in warthunder.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, the new Russian barn, the SU-100Y, has enough penetration to punch through even Maus armor. Admittedly only from the back of the turret, but that's still a pretty damned impressive achievement for a BR 5.3 vehicle.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Shanakin posted:

If you have the D13 then the other doras aren't too dissimilar. The D9 has 2x13mm MG's and 2x20mm cannons. Its engine isn't tuned for quite as high altitudes so it can actually perform better than the D12 and D13 in some cases but it's not a huge difference. The D12 is the same as the D13 except you swap the nose cannon for a 30mm Mk108.

The Ta-152 is what it is but the D13 is basically the same package with better performance everwhere it counts in warthunder.

Alright, I'll go for the K-4 then. Thanks.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
:japan: Trip report: The Ki-44 is an interesting plane. But each :japan: round has been a loss so far. Saipan x10. I think all loses were due to automatic ticket bleed :/.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What does the Ki44 have over the Ki61, exactly?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I've been looking over them, and I'm starting to wonder if the Yak 9U is the hidden gem of the Yak line. Its not as agile as the Yak 3 but it seems to be more stable and holds speed better, in fact it almost feels like a more maneuverable 109.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Ludicro posted:

I've been looking over them, and I'm starting to wonder if the Yak 9U is the hidden gem of the Yak line. Its not as agile as the Yak 3 but it seems to be more stable and holds speed better, in fact it almost feels like a more maneuverable 109.

Well it certainly is a very good Yak. Though even now the Yak-9M is a beast and might be better. It does get a bit hotter with this patch put stays in the orange temp range at 100% (if you don't go too slow).

Night10194 posted:

What does the Ki44 have over the Ki61, exactly?

Haven't flown enough to say wether or not it's better in any way to the Ki-61, especially since the patch changed a lot of FMs. It's probably more like a J2M than a Ki-61.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

stat card says it climbs better and maybe turns better than the first Ki-61. For what that's worth.

• Locked thread