Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Genetic Toaster posted:

They wouldn't invite KSD to writer's retreats despite her being the writer of Captain Marvel at the time that the movie was announced and the book was being pushed as a focal point of the line.

Marvel's excuse was that she wasn't under an exclusive contract, but Fraction got an invite and he's not under an exclusive contract either.

Fake edit: Also he was tapped to write Inhumans but left due to "creative differences", so I imagine there's beef between him and editorial there.

I think it's probably more the first thing than the second. Both editorial and Fraction were pretty transparent about saying that they simply didn't see eye to eye on it, and parted ways relatively amicably.

The idea that anyone was angry about it probably had more to do with unrelated contemporaneous DC flame-outs than anything Marvel or Fraction said or did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Every writer you have ever liked put their time in as a nobody before they became somebody.

You mean Jonathan Hickman didn't drop from the heavens into the Marvel offices wearing a t-shirt that says "Dr. Doom Rules" and they gave him FF on the spot?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I remember buying Secret Warriors #1 because Bendis' name was on the cover and being "who the gently caress is this Hickman co-writing?".

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TwoPair posted:

You mean Jonathan Hickman didn't drop from the heavens into the Marvel offices wearing a t-shirt that says "Dr. Doom Rules" and they gave him FF on the spot?

He probably has a really good sales pitch.

"Write Ultimates? Sure I'll start it off by killing all the Gods and having Evil Reed kill the president and nuke Washington. Then I'm making Captain America president"

"Write Avengers? I'll do you one better. I'm going to take three years but long story short I'm killing the entire multi-verse."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

They found him on the marvel office door wrapped in this flag

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

They found him on the marvel office door wrapped in this flag

Off topic but I always pronounce it "Latervia" in my head.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Starsnostars posted:

I remember buying Secret Warriors #1 because Bendis' name was on the cover and being "who the gently caress is this Hickman co-writing?".

I don't know about anyone else but I was super stoked because I've always been a fan of his indie books. I'm pretty sure I made the very first post about Hickman on these forums.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

See, that makes me think of the original Grendel more than anything else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For as stilted as it can be now, early Hickman had really bad dialogue, so pairing him with Bendis was really smart.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know about anyone else but I was super stoked because I've always been a fan of his indie books. I'm pretty sure I made the very first post about Hickman on these forums.

Yeah pretty much all the "big" Marvel hires for a number of years like Hickman, Fraction and so on (with the exception of Aaron) had an extensive and well received indie background. And even Aaron went and did some indie stuff after his first minor Marvel story.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Wiccan the Young Avenger and Wicca the New Age Pseudo-Religion have nothing whatsoever to do with one another, really, save for the fact that they both nebulously talk about 'magic.'
I know, I wasn't talking about Wicca.

His codename is kind of appropriative now that you mention it, though.

zoux posted:

Off topic but I always pronounce it "Latervia" in my head.
So did I! Then this guy at school was like, "It's Lat-veria" like that wingardium leviosa scene from Harry Potter and it's always stuck with me since.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I had a Minecraft server called Lurdveria.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Genetic Toaster posted:

They wouldn't invite KSD to writer's retreats despite her being the writer of Captain Marvel at the time that the movie was announced and the book was being pushed as a focal point of the line.

Marvel's excuse was that she wasn't under an exclusive contract, but Fraction got an invite and he's not under an exclusive contract either.

I take that as Marvel being nice because straight up saying that she's a terrible writer would be rude and unprofessional.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Secret Wars looks really dumb to me but I am super jazzed about the new titles that were leaked on Reddit. Particularly psyched for:

Carnage
Totally Awesome Hulk
All-New, All-Different Avengers (and most of their individual titles)

I know Extraordinary X-Men is probably the most anticipated of the new X-titles, although the cast of Uncanny X-Men (Magneto was right) and the premise of All-New X-Men (mutant road trip!) seem like more fun to me. Can anyone tell me anything about Bunn and Hopeless?

Also, I'm assuming these titles are dropping in October, when Secret Wars wraps up?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Panama Red posted:

Secret Wars looks really dumb to me but I am super jazzed about the new titles that were leaked on Reddit. Particularly psyched for:

Carnage
Totally Awesome Hulk
All-New, All-Different Avengers (and most of their individual titles)

I know Extraordinary X-Men is probably the most anticipated of the new X-titles, although the cast of Uncanny X-Men (Magneto was right) and the premise of All-New X-Men (mutant road trip!) seem like more fun to me. Can anyone tell me anything about Bunn and Hopeless?

Also, I'm assuming these titles are dropping in October, when Secret Wars wraps up?

October yeah.

Bunn wrote a very good Magento solo and his other work has been alright. He writes a ton of books. Hopeless wrote Avengers Arena and Undercover and everyone hates him.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The Del Mundo Carnage covers are going to be great, I hope that book lasts for ages just so we get as many covers as possible.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Panama Red posted:

Bunn is a workman-like writer at Marvel who's got a handful of decent Deadpool minis and a well-regarded run on Magneto under his belt. I'd have considered him C-tier at best until Magneto, which was a good read.

Hopeless was decent on Cable & X-Force a couple of years ago, and his Spider-Woman run is decent, but his work on Avengers Arena and Avengers Undercover tanked his reputation among a lot of the comic-book reading population. Much like Bendis, it's going to be a question of which Hopeless shows up to this party: the blood-soaked douchebag from Arena or the clever plotter from his other books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

The Del Mundo Carnage covers are going to be great, I hope that book lasts for ages just so we get as many covers as possible.

I hope he gets an interiors job.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Hopeless by name, hopeless by nature

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

zoux posted:

I hope he gets an interiors job.

Yeah me too, I loved his work on Elektra.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hickman tweeted why he's not in the relaunch:

Jonathan Hickman ‏@JHickman 3m3 minutes ago
I'm not in the Marvel relaunch because my Damage Control-Wrecking Crew pitch was rejected. Every other issue would alternate between teams.

Jonathan Hickman ‏@JHickman 2m2 minutes ago
One issue would be the Wrecking Crew drinking and planning a job. Then the next would be Damage Control cleaning up the mess. Rinse. Repeat.

Jonathan Hickman ‏@JHickman 30s31 seconds ago
All the build up. All the resolution. None of the action.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hickman is such a champ. :allears:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Hickman tweeted why he's not in the relaunch:

Jonathan Hickman ‏@JHickman 3m3 minutes ago
I'm not in the Marvel relaunch because my Damage Control-Wrecking Crew pitch was rejected. Every other issue would alternate between teams.

Jonathan Hickman ‏@JHickman 2m2 minutes ago
One issue would be the Wrecking Crew drinking and planning a job. Then the next would be Damage Control cleaning up the mess. Rinse. Repeat.

Jonathan Hickman ‏@JHickman 30s31 seconds ago
All the build up. All the resolution. None of the action.

I would read the gently caress out of this.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Codependent Poster posted:

I take that as Marvel being nice because straight up saying that she's a terrible writer would be rude and unprofessional.

Dan Slott has gone to pretty much every retreat.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I know he's joking but I would buy a Hickman written Damage Control-Wrecking Crew book in a heartbeat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hickman's joke book sounds better than any real comic Slot has ever written.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Gerry Conway on Carnage, is that going to be unreadable like modern Claremont or has he come around to the naturalistic dialog style of modern comics?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

has he come around to the naturalistic dialog style of modern comics?

Yeesh, I hope not.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Hickman is great on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/614506131088650242

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

zoux posted:

So Gerry Conway on Carnage, is that going to be unreadable like modern Claremont or has he come around to the naturalistic dialog style of modern comics?

Conway's writing a perfectly decent crime story in Amazing right now, co-starring the new Wraith.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rhyno posted:

Hickman's joke book sounds better than any real comic Slot has ever written.

I liked his Avengers. I am probably the only one. And it probably has more to do with who was in the lineup and Pym getting to call Reed a bitch than anything.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Oh god it's even worse :negative:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Conway's writing a pretty good Spider-Man story right now, but it's Carnage so it won't be worth reading anyway.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
A Carnage book just sounds so boring because Carnage as a character is just a straight up serial killer. I hate to judge the book based purely on my impression of past versions of Carnage, but I just don't see how you'd make a story from Carnage's perspective interesting, other than Axis: Carnage which was great but Carnage has reverted to normal since then so he's back to just being a dude who likes killing people.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrProsek posted:

A Carnage book just sounds so boring because Carnage as a character is just a straight up serial killer. I hate to judge the book based purely on my impression of past versions of Carnage, but I just don't see how you'd make a story from Carnage's perspective interesting, other than Axis: Carnage which was great but Carnage has reverted to normal since then so he's back to just being a dude who likes killing people.

There were the carnage miniseries that were pretty great a couple of years ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

There were the carnage miniseries that were pretty great a couple of years ago.

Yes, but they at least nominally had Spider-Man, the Avengers or Deadpool fighting Carnage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AXIS Carnage was the best Carnage series EVER. Maybe they can do something like that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is that carnage memorial statue still standing?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rhyno posted:

AXIS Carnage was the best Carnage series EVER. Maybe they can do something like that?

Yeah, having Carnage fight a bunch of heroes could be fun too but the cover and tagline from the leak makes me think they want the story to focus more on Carnage/Cletus as a person, but other than the AXIS version of Carnage, there's not really much going on in his head other than planning more murders.

SynthOrange posted:

Is that carnage memorial statue still standing?

I don't think Carnage ever destroyed it but he also told Nova he wanted to kill Nova to get rid of any evidence of what he did during AXIS, so presumably he might have destroyed the literal memorial to what he did during AXIS off-screen at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So my current thoughts: while there are more unannounced Marvel books coming, and while I'm really looking forward to a couple of these titles (Al Ewing's New Avengers and Ultimates, and Warren Ellis' Karnak in particular), overall, these books feel disappointingly conservative compared to the new DC You relaunch, or recent past Marvel NOW relaunches, or even many of the Secret Wars tie-ins they're currently running. There's very little new blood on the writing side (which accentuates the absences of a number of their previous top writers - Hickman, Remender, Gillen, Fraction, Kot), and not as much readily apparent diversity in tone and genre.

• Locked thread