Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Smoothrich posted:

I am very progressive, though I don't think that means going left or right, but forward.

sure, whatever

to the rest of us you'll never be anything but the blithering moron who apologizes for psychopaths bragging about how many black people they shot in post-katrina new orleans and thinks that the fall of the roman empire is linked to present-day corruption in new jersey because 'italian corruption'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Smoothrich posted:

because I am very progressive, though I don't think that means going left or right, but forward.

This is legit the single most meaningless thing I have ever read short of actual gibberish and even then not by much

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

sure, whatever

to the rest of us you'll never be anything but the blithering moron who apologizes for psychopaths bragging about how many black people they shot in post-katrina new orleans and thinks that the fall of the roman empire is linked to present-day corruption in new jersey because 'italian corruption'

Oh man how did I forget that so quickly, that was one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my life, and I've read a lot of Bill Kristol.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Obdicut posted:

Oh man how did I forget that so quickly, that was one of the stupidest things I've ever read in my life, and I've read a lot of Bill Kristol.

the whole "italian corruption" thing was dumb in a hilarious way

on the other hand it takes some gall to scream at strawmen in defense of a man giving shitthatdidn'thappen.txt stories about how many of his fellow countrymen he murdered in cold blood and then say "actually i'm a leftist guys"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Smoothrich posted:

I am very progressive, though I don't think that means going left or right, but forward.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Arguments against the 1st are already being presented. You just have to look for the language. America was a founded as a Christian country, so . . . And it goes from there.

Gay marriage is like shouting fire in a theater.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

beatlegs posted:

So the solution is for the left to act more like conservatives. Boy, that's been such a successful strategy in the past.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shbobdb posted:

Arguments against the 1st are already being presented. You just have to look for the language. America was a founded as a Christian country, so . . . And it goes from there.

Gay marriage is like shouting fire in a theater.

You shouldn't do it unless it's true? :confused:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Playing identity politics is a fool's errand - we must see the Confederacy as the worst excesses of anarchocapitalism that continue to manifest today.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Its incredible how concerned they are with oppression when they think its affecting them

Its amazing how many people completely devoid of irony manage to say "Christians are now going to be treated as second class in their own country"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
It's almost as if they realize how lovely they've treated people and now fear the same in return.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

"WELL YOU SEE, THE SECULAR CULTURE..."

Is an argument I hear all that time.

Which I don't get. I don't see a lot of entertainers or politicians that are avowed atheists. I mean, take the supreme court justices for example. All of them are either Catholic or Jewish. Guys like Martin Scorsese for example are indeed Catholic.

Yet they're always presenting as America as the un-christian, unfriendly place outside of their small little bubble of outdated theology and beliefs that they all seem to hold onto.

I also don't see why something being "secular" is naturally terrible. God created the world, correct? There's some matters that are very much worth exploring in it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Well Mr. Fischer, if you go to Iraq/Syria then you can be the new Rosa Parks in the fight against actual, real Christian persecution.:patriot:

Fair warning before you go, you may end up starring in an internet video for your efforts, and probably not in a way you want.:gibs:

Semi-seriously, I'd actually respect this fucker if he actually went to Iraq/Syria to highlight the discrimination and risk of death that Assyrian/Nineveh Christian communities face, instead of pretending that the US getting gay marriage is equivalent to 9/11.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Which I don't get. I don't see a lot of entertainers or politicians that are avowed atheists. I mean, take the supreme court justices for example. All of them are either Catholic or Jewish. Guys like Martin Scorsese for example are indeed Catholic.

The issue with fundamentalists is that their entire philosophy only survives so long as they can posit themselves as outside the general culture. Saudi Arabia is way more religiously conservative then we are and there are fundamentalist Muslims decrying the decadent secular KSA endlessly. Hell the puritans ended up having their own entirely isolated communities and started turning on each other within a generation. Fundamentalism cannot exist without the constant pressure to reject the mainstream.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It's almost as if they realize how lovely they've treated people and now fear the same in return.

It's more they're arguing that laws coming out like "no you can't murder, disenfranchise, and mistreat X demographic anymore, knock it the gently caress off" put restrictions on their behavior and thus makes them less free. They often also believe that if you force them to tolerate the gays then it's going to make God hate them too. I know I harp on this a lot but the seriously, genuinely believe that if they don't hate the gays hard enough and don't treat them badly enough God will punish all of America for it. They seriously believe that the thing that ruins America will be God punishing us for not being a theocracy where being gay is punishable by death and all other religions are persecuted minorities.

They seriously, genuinely believe that you are persecuting them if you violate what they believe God's law is, especially if you make gay things legally acceptable. They don't think "if you don't believe in gay marriage then don't get one" is acceptable. They believe that it's a matter of religious freedom for them to be able to shove their religion's laws on others and they also genuinely believe that exterminating all the gays and Muslims would usher in a magical golden age because God would be happy with us.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Smoothrich posted:

I just replaced the political persuasion of the gross generalization.

I've seen the research and read the studies that show my point of view. I just don't have them on hand. So, I elected to say I didn't remember the exact numbers rather than pulling one out of my rear end. How dare I.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yet they're always presenting as America as the un-christian, unfriendly place outside of their small little bubble of outdated theology and beliefs that they all seem to hold onto.

I also don't see why something being "secular" is naturally terrible. God created the world, correct? There's some matters that are very much worth exploring in it.

Its relative. The Romans hated the early Christians because they only worshipped one god to the exclusion of all others. They actually called the Christians atheists, because only worshipping one god is pretty much as bad as not believing in any god. Which seems crazy from the outside. To evangelicals, subscribing to a reasonable form of religion is tantamount to being secular. Which seems crazy from the outside, and also because it is.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Caerulius posted:

Its relative. The Romans hated the early Christians because they only worshipped one god to the exclusion of all others. They actually called the Christians atheists, because only worshipping one god is pretty much as bad as not believing in any god. Which seems crazy from the outside. To evangelicals, subscribing to a reasonable form of religion is tantamount to being secular. Which seems crazy from the outside, and also because it is.

Evangelicals also believe that literally everything that might lead somebody away from The One True Faith is literally the devil deliberately trying to lure people away. A common belief among the fundies is that Earth is a battleground between good and evil (as in, God and Satan) and that we must be vigilant, keep an eye out for the devil's influence, and work to crush it however we can. That's why they hate secular culture and secular ideas so much. They believe somebody saying "it's fine to be gay or not Christian" is being influenced by the devil to say that so he can lure people away from Jesus.

No.

Seriously.

People actually believe this.

I wish I was making that up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I know he's not exactly big news, but has Alex Jones weighed in recently?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mister Macys posted:

You shouldn't do it unless it's true? :confused:

Not being able to shout fire relies on an old fighting words restriction. According to a vocal subset of evangelicals, not agreeing with them constitutes fighting words. Something so offensive they are necessarily driven to violence.

Now let me tell you why the first amendment lets me drop n bombs all day long.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Slurpee basically has it right when he says a lot of these people have zero concern for equal protection under the law and genuinely only want to see the laws of the US protect what they think is the inarguably cosmic justice of God Almighty.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mister Macys posted:

On what?

Perhaps the TPP:
http://www.infowars.com/obama-removes-tpps-anti-slavery-clause-then-attacks-confederate-flag-as-symbol-of-slavery/

Or black youths threatening the security and existence of our people and a future for White Children:
http://www.infowars.com/the-new-knockout-game-nearly-50-black-teens-raid-wal-mart-assault-shoppers-destroy-merchandise/

Maybe you'd like to hear about this photo of the First Lady without makeup:
http://www.infowars.com/found-picture-of-michelle-obama-without-makeup/

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yeah, but there is a more nuanced discussion behind that.

Like how reasonable paleocon Buckley literally proposed tattooing people with aids and forcibly relocating them to an island.

Intellectual conservativism *cymbal clash*

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BTW, I found the story that Janet Parshall was talking about

http://abc7news.com/society/girl-scouts-return-$100k-donation-after-donor-says-it-cant-be-used-for-transgender-girls/818905/

:stare:.

How do...you even call yourself a christian when you pull this poo poo?

And this women was PRAISING HER for taking back the money, and encouraging those to send their kids to evangelical versions of the girl scouts instead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ironically, the publicity they got for refusing the donation earned them more than $100,000 in donations from people supporting transgender rights, so it's all good.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://abc7news.com/society/girl-scouts-return-$100k-donation-after-donor-says-it-cant-be-used-for-transgender-girls/818905/

And this women was PRAISING HER for taking back the money, and encouraging those to send their kids to evangelical versions of the girl scouts instead.

There's also a loony hardcore conservative knockoff of the boy scouts now for the people all mad about how gay scouts were let in recently and they're supposed to be letting in gay adults any time now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's also a loony hardcore conservative knockoff of the boy scouts now for the people all mad about how gay scouts were let in recently and they're supposed to be letting in gay adults any time now.

I can only gleefully embrace the further complete marginalization of the Religious Right in mainstream culture

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mainly the SCOTUS rulings as of late.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I can only gleefully embrace the further complete marginalization of the Religious Right in mainstream culture

Here's the group: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_Life_USA

The best part? A lot of them whined upa storm over the fact that actual Boy Scouts owned facilities they wanted to use were either refusing themaccess for not being scouts, or charging much higher prices to camp/do whatever than they would the boy scouts.

Free market hurts, don't it!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Here's the group: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_Life_USA

The best part? A lot of them whined upa storm over the fact that actual Boy Scouts owned facilities they wanted to use were either refusing themaccess for not being scouts, or charging much higher prices to camp/do whatever than they would the boy scouts.

Free market hurts, don't it!

Its like watching a vestigial organ of human society wither off

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

FuzzySkinner posted:

St. Paul said some stuff about perverts or something and that's all the justification they need. It's so much easier to serve God by persecuting sinners than by dealing with that log in your own eye.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mister Macys posted:

Mainly the SCOTUS rulings as of late.

Pretty boring stuff:

SUPREME COURT DECISION SUPPORTS CHOOSE LIFE LICENSE PLATES IN NORTH CAROLINA

SUPREME COURT TAKES UP MAJOR CASE ON PUBLIC SECTOR UNION DUES

U.S. TOP COURT RULES AGAINST OBAMA ADMINISTRATION OVER AIR POLLUTION RULE

U.S. JUSTICES TURN DOWN STATES OVER VOTER REGISTRATION RESTRICTIONS

Although...

THE ACLU NOW OPPOSES RELIGIOUS FREEDOM BECAUSE CHRISTIANS NEED IT

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah, but there is a more nuanced discussion behind that.

Like how reasonable paleocon Buckley literally proposed tattooing people with aids and forcibly relocating them to an island.

Intellectual conservativism *cymbal clash*

:stare::hf::godwin:

Can we have a source? I want to see this proposal for jumping off the rocky moral ground we're already on as a country.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Not being able to shout fire relies on an old fighting words restriction.
No it doesn't. It's from Schenck V. US. It's the clear and present danger standard that was used to lock people up for resisting WWI.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 1, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Macys posted:

Well he and co are just asking questions. Need to give their racist user base some hope.
http://www.infowars.com/false-flag-dylann-roofs-barely-used-facebook-page-likely-created-in-2015/

BTW I have checked in with the full on nazi right and their crying over the confederate flag. Not one tear for the victims of the terrorist attack, but now this assault on "southern culture" is a real tragedy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Well he and co are just asking questions.
http://www.infowars.com/false-flag-dylann-roofs-barely-used-facebook-page-likely-created-in-2015/

BTW I have checked in with the full on nazi right and their crying over the confederate flag. Not one tear for the victims of the terrorist attack, but now this assault on "southern culture" is a real tragedy.

Only white people can be victims. Duh.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

:stare::hf::godwin:

Can we have a source? I want to see this proposal for jumping off the rocky moral ground we're already on as a country.

https://www.nytimes.com/books/00/07/16/specials/buckley-aids.html

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Crucial Steps in Combating the AIDS epidemic

It's a great example of "small government" solutions from one of the greatest intellectuals of the Paleoconservative wing of the Republican Party. If anyone says they respect Buckley, tell them to go gently caress themselves.

quote:

March 18, 1986

OP-ED

Crucial Steps in Combating the Aids Epidemic; Identify All the Carriers
By WILLIAM F. BUCKLEY JR.

I have read and listened, and I think now that I can convincingly crystallize the thoughts chasing about in the minds of, first, those whose concern with AIDS victims is based primarily on a concern for them and for the maintenance of the most rigid standards of civil liberties and personal privacy, and, second, those whose anxiety to protect the public impels them to give subordinate attention to the civil amenities of those who suffer from AIDS and primary attention to the safety of those who do not.

Arguments used by both sides are sometimes utilitarian, sometimes moral, sometimes a little of each -and almost always a little elusive. Most readers will locate their own inclinations and priorities somewhere other than in the polar positions here put forward by design.

School A suspects, in the array of arguments of School B, a venture in ethical opportunism. Look, they say, we have made enormous headway in the matter of civil rights for all, dislodging the straight-laced from mummified positions they inherited through eclectic superstitions ranging from the Bible's to Freud's. A generation ago, homosexuals lived mostly in the closet. Nowadays they take over cities and parade on Halloween and demand equal rights for themselves qua homosexuals, not merely as apparently disinterested civil libertarians.

Along comes AIDS, School A continues, and even though it is well known that the virus can be communicated by infected needles, known also that heterosexuals can transmit the virus, still it is both a fact and the popular perception that AIDS is the special curse of the homosexual, transmitted through anal sex between males. And if you look hard, you will discern that little smirk on the face of the man oh-so-concerned about public health. He is looking for ways to safeguard the public, sure, but he is by no means reluctant, in the course of doing so, to sound an invidious tocsin whose clamor is a call to undo all the understanding so painfully cultivated over a generation by those who have fought for the privacy of their bedroom. What School B is really complaining about is the extension of civil rights to homosexuals.

School A will not say all that in words quite so jut-jawed, but it plainly feels that no laws or regulations should be passed that have the effect of identifying the AIDS carrier. It isn't, School A concedes, as if AIDS were transmitted via public drinking fountains. But any attempt to segregate the AIDS carrier is primarily an act of moral ostracism.

School B does in fact tend to disapprove forcefully of homosexuality, but tends to approach the problem of AIDS empirically. It argues that acquired immune deficiency syndrome is potentially the most serious epidemic to have shown its face in this century. Summarizing currently accepted statistics, the Economist recently raised the possibility ''that the AIDS virus will have killed more than 250,000 Americans in eight years' time.'' Moreover, if the epidemic extended to that point, it would burst through existing boundaries. There would then be ''no guarantee that the disease will remain largely confined to groups at special risk, such as homosexuals, hemophiliacs and people who inject drugs intravenously. If AIDS were to spread through the general population, it would become a catastrophe.'' Accordingly, School B says, we face a utilitarian imperative, and this requires absolutely nothing less than the identification of the million-odd people who, the doctors estimate, are carriers. How? Well, the military has taken the first concrete step. Two million soldiers will be given the blood test, and those who have AIDS will be discreetly discharged Discreetly, you say!

Hold on. I'm coming to that. You have the military making the first massive move designed to identify AIDS sufferers - and, bear in mind, an AIDS carrier today is an AIDS carrier on the day of his death, which day, depending on the viral strain, will be two years from now or when he is threescore and 10. The next logical step would be to require of anyone who seeks a marriage license that he present himself not only with a Wassermann test but also an AIDS test.

But if he has AIDS, should he then be free to marry?

Only after the intended spouse is advised that her intended husband has AIDS, and agrees to sterilization. We know already of children born with the disease, transmitted by the mother, who contracted it from the father.

What then would School B suggest for those who are not in the military and who do not set out to get a marriage license? Universal testing?

Yes, in stages. But in rapid stages. The next logical enforcer is the insurance company. Blue Cross, for instance, can reasonably require of those who wish to join it a physical examination that requires tests. Almost every American, making his way from infancy to maturity, needs to pass by one or another institutional turnstile. Here the lady will spring out, her right hand on a needle, her left on a computer, to capture a blood specimen.

Is it then proposed by School B that AIDS carriers should be publicly identified as such?

The evidence is not completely in as to the communicability of the disease. But while much has been said that is reassuring, the moment has not yet come when men and women of science are unanimously agreed that AIDS cannot be casually communicated. Let us be patient on that score, pending any tilt in the evidence: If the news is progressively reassuring, public identification would not be necessary. If it turns in the other direction and AIDS develops among, say, children who have merely roughhoused with other children who suffer from AIDS, then more drastic segregation measures would be called for.

But if the time has not come, and may never come, for public identification, what then of private identification?

Everyone detected with AIDS should be tatooed in the upper forearm, to protect common-needle users, and on the buttocks, to prevent the victimization of other homosexuals.

You have got to be kidding! That's exactly what we suspected all along! You are calling for the return of the Scarlet Letter, but only for homosexuals!

Answer: The Scarlet Letter was designed to stimulate public obloquy. The AIDS tattoo is designed for private protection. And the whole point of this is that we are not talking about a kidding matter. Our society is generally threatened, and in order to fight AIDS, we need the civil equivalent of universal military training.

William F. Buckley Jr., editor of the National Review, is author, most recently, of ''Right Reason.'' His syndicated column appears locally in The New York Daily News.

He went all Islander later but that is a good starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Oklahoma Supreme Court ordered the Ten Commandments monument removed from State Capitol grounds. Get ready for more whining.

Awwww, now they have no reason to allow Baphomet to go up as well.