Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Henry has lost his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I agree with Stantis, we should absolutely think about replacing Jackson way, way before replacing Hamilton. Hamilton was legit. Jackson was a fascist dickhead and the only reason to keep him on the $20 is the knowledge that he would absolutely hate being on the $20.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

loquacius posted:

I agree with Stantis, we should absolutely think about replacing Jackson way, way before replacing Hamilton. Hamilton was legit. Jackson was a fascist dickhead and the only reason to keep him on the $20 is the knowledge that he would absolutely hate being on the $20.

That is a pretty big reason to keep him on it though, you must admit.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Demiurge4 posted:

Isn't that just indicative of better recording practices that came at the turn of the century?

Oh, look at that there. I meant the 1980s/90s, I didn't look at the graph long enough to realize I was accidentally describing an actual feature on it.
(or is that :thejoke: )

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

loquacius posted:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That is a pretty big reason to keep him on it though, you must admit.

Toss him on the $2, the bill as useless as he was.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Personally, I'm leaning towards "Prickly City" being mostly Allie's now, even though Stantis takes credit for it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Fairly sure I've still seen some :fuckoff: caliber Stantis comics lately, although generally with less bile than the other conservative shitheads.

The writing in Prickly City the last few months though is definitely in line with Allie's usual style of being willfully dense.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

I feel kind of bad for the treasury department because they're being a bit proactive and getting no credit for it. The $10s are do for some anti-counterfeit measure that have already been done on the $20s, which is why they're being changed at all. Treasury hears about this whole 'put a woman on the $20' thing, realizes a woman on a greenback is long overdo, and decides to implement it on the very next currency to get updated. And no one appreciates it. Can't always kill two birds with one stone people. Hamilton on the $20.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mister Beeg posted:

(by Dan Collins)

:krad: :boom: :supaburn:

loquacius posted:

Carl Haissan once pointed out that various native-American businesses haul in sacks full of 20s with Jackson on them each night, and that's probably the best revenge they're ever gonna get on him.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

there wolf posted:

I feel kind of bad for the treasury department because they're being a bit proactive and getting no credit for it. The $10s are do for some anti-counterfeit measure that have already been done on the $20s, which is why they're being changed at all. Treasury hears about this whole 'put a woman on the $20' thing, realizes a woman on a greenback is long overdo, and decides to implement it on the very next currency to get updated. And no one appreciates it. Can't always kill two birds with one stone people. Hamilton on the $20.

Took the words right out from under my fingers. This is a first step and a positive sign, it won't be the last we hear of replacing the faces on our paper.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

there wolf posted:

Hamilton is staying on the $10. The Treasury is currently investigating the idea of putting both Hamilton and woman-to-be-named-later on the same bill (a la the UK, with HRH on one side and a famous Briton on the other) or two separate bills (like the Presidential Dollar Coin series). He will remain on at least half the $10 bills printed.

The Treasury has a website for the new $10, with a FAQ that specifically addresses why they're going for the $10 and not the $20 right now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Has Muir even seen an episode of Seinfeld?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Has Muir even seen an episode of Seinfeld?

Well, he did make a timely, 20 year old soup nazi reference. Maybe he was aiming for that ever-coveted Associate Justice of the Supreme Court audience.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Henry has lost his mind.

"The Supreme Court just ruled that they are a bunch of loving FAGGOTS!!!!"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

"The Supreme Court just ruled that they are a bunch of loving FAGGOTS!!!!"

When someone posted these earlier in the thread they showed that the tags the comics had on the guy's site literally had "fag, human being" at the end.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

OldTennisCourt posted:

When someone posted these earlier in the thread they showed that the tags the comics had on the guy's site literally had "fag, human being" at the end.

These are no different.

Also, Henry got a piece of fan-mail that he tries to wittily respond to, but I don't think it comes off like he wanted it to: http://cartoonsbyhenry.com/?page_id=9286

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 1, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Daniel Bryan posted:

These are no different.

Also, Henry got a piece of fan-mail that he tries to wittily respond to, but I don't think it comes off like he wanted it to: http://cartoonsbyhenry.com/?page_id=9286

That might be one of the weakest burns I've ever seen.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
loving sick nasty burn from a guy that has an Arab talking head named rear end in a top hat Fucker.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

there wolf posted:

you could always have a different face on each side of the bill :shrug:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am almost positive that Prickly City has had some strips that Allie would never write, like the rancher turning out to be a white supremacist or the old cactus who didn't know poo poo about the good old days.

I don't think Allie would have called attention to those.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

I am almost positive that Prickly City has had some strips that Allie would never write, like the rancher turning out to be a white supremacist or the old cactus who didn't know poo poo about the good old days.

I don't think Allie would have called attention to those.

Stantis probably steps in every so often to tell Allie to stop being willfully dense.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Prickly City is mostly terrible, but I did like this recent one:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The short of it is that Greece was basically forced to take a poo poo load of sovereign debt and its economy is in shambles because of it. The country is broke and has no way to fix it. The rest of Europe gave them some help but now the rest of Europe is on the brink of kicking Greece out of the EU, forcing them to quit using the Euro, and just cutting them lose which would very likely have absolutely disastrous consequences for an already impoverished nation in a lovely situation and even worse consequences for the living, breathing people living there. Greece is basically being force to take the blame for some of the problems Europe is having right now. They're basically begging for help because they have literally no other options.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Madam Chancellor...? :stonk:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Did Tinsley discover Tumblr for the first time a few weeks ago?

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

JT Jag posted:

I guess someone said something mean about his Mallard Fillmore/Reagan slash art.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

JT Jag posted:

It's been getting a lot of play in the mainstream press for the first time, mostly in a negative light.

Cool Seinfeld reference over done back when I was in grade school.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 1, 2015

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Acid Haze posted:

Madam Chancellor...? :stonk:

Merkel seems like the kind of lady who would pack a Shewee for summits. Never know when you're going to get stuck in an old castle or out by a lake with no proper toilet in sight.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:allears: I am ready

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Prickly City is mostly terrible, but I did like this recent one:

This is really weird to see in a conservative strip.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Daniel Bryan posted:

These are no different.

That was from someone in this very thread from when I originally posted the comic here. I forget who it is tho :ssh:

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The short of it is that Greece was basically forced to take a poo poo load of sovereign debt and its economy is in shambles because of it. The country is broke and has no way to fix it. The rest of Europe gave them some help but now the rest of Europe is on the brink of kicking Greece out of the EU, forcing them to quit using the Euro, and just cutting them lose which would very likely have absolutely disastrous consequences for an already impoverished nation in a lovely situation and even worse consequences for the living, breathing people living there. Greece is basically being force to take the blame for some of the problems Europe is having right now. They're basically begging for help because they have literally no other options.

This isn't the whole story though. Sure Greece was never a financial powerhouse and yes the EU has made mistakes enforcing economic measures during the euro-crisis.
As the country was feeling increased economic pressure it's people elected a new government who made wild impossible promises, spending what little money the country had left at an increased rate, and who refused to cooperate from day one in negotiations.This government didn't just refuse to play ball but would consistently make demands from it's EU partners without any sort of leverage or even goodwill. The "Thessaloniki programme" was seen as a slap in the face to the entire EU, referring to German debt as a "Nazi occupation" didn't help. Resulting in the current bizarre situation in which the country has already defaulted, it's banks have almost run out of money and they're preparing a referendum for a bailout that doesn't exist anymore, as the Greek abandoned negotiations.

At least that's the way the situation is presented here in the Netherlands.

Personally I think both parties are equally to blame. The EU made serious mistakes resulting in the EU-crisis. However the moment Syriza took power any hope of recovery for Greece was lost.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

God, I thought I could handle Tinsley fumbling to make jokes about this poo poo, but now I wish he'd never seen the discourse on microaggressions and content advisory warnings because every toon from him on those subjects actually loving triggers me, in a way not even the explodinghill.gif or dead animal pictures ever could.

Edit: Keep in mind, the no-negotiations stuff from Greece can be tied to a really young dude proving all the austerity statistics were bullshit and when nobody acknowledged this, the politicians 'went their own way' (which didn't work because they had no money to actually enact anti-austerity policies)

RoanHorse fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 1, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Sweet to see the Laocoon group in a cartoon. But Laocoon was a Trojan! :hist101:

Sometime's he's even a non-proper noun.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

quote:

Mayor Peduto has a 37-point plan to attract immigrants to the city. I hope it works. Pittsburgh is woefully lacking in Latinos. The problem is, Latinos generally go to places where their culture already exists and Spanish can be heard on every corner. We are not that place yet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JMolen posted:

This isn't the whole story though. Sure Greece was never a financial powerhouse and yes the EU has made mistakes enforcing economic measures during the euro-crisis.
As the country was feeling increased economic pressure it's people elected a new government who made wild impossible promises, spending what little money the country had left at an increased rate, and who refused to cooperate from day one in negotiations.This government didn't just refuse to play ball but would consistently make demands from it's EU partners without any sort of leverage or even goodwill. The "Thessaloniki programme" was seen as a slap in the face to the entire EU, referring to German debt as a "Nazi occupation" didn't help. Resulting in the current bizarre situation in which the country has already defaulted, it's banks have almost run out of money and they're preparing a referendum for a bailout that doesn't exist anymore, as the Greek abandoned negotiations.

At least that's the way the situation is presented here in the Netherlands.

Personally I think both parties are equally to blame. The EU made serious mistakes resulting in the EU-crisis. However the moment Syriza took power any hope of recovery for Greece was lost.

Yeah the whole thing is a gigantic cock up from top to bottom and the country is in an economic shitter. Even so one of the issues that led to Greece being in debt was when the financial crisis hit the banks basically forced the country into massive debt. External banks, mind. Part of the issue they're running into politically now is that literal fascists are becoming more popular because external forces are loving up the country, not helping them fix it, and expecting them to pay down their debts, which they are literally incapable of doing.

It doesn't help when the current Greek government is doing what you're saying and just going "gently caress you we aren't negotiating at all." Granted part of that is because the mess is one Greece never wanted to get into in the first place and the "negotiating" was often "OK we'll help your economy not get worse but we aren't going to help it get better and we expect you to pay this massive debt you have no hope of ever paying." The negotiations, far as I understand, were poisoned from the get go. My understanding was that the current political push for austerity and cutting costs in several wealthier European countries has them pushing for Greece to just cut costs and pay the money back. Which is problematic when the country is already broke.

Yeah promises were made that possibly should not have been but one of the biggest issues is that the Greek people are currently completely and irrevocably hosed. They're pissed off that nobody is helping them and understandably elected people that promised that they would. It looks real bad when Europe was like "hey let's all pull together and work together and solve all our problems together" but then looked at Greece's crisis and just went "lolnope gently caress you."

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014

RoanHorse posted:

God, I thought I could handle Tinsley fumbling to make jokes about this poo poo, but now I wish he'd never seen the discourse on microaggressions and content advisory warnings because every toon from him on those subjects actually loving triggers me, in a way not even the explodinghill.gif or dead animal pictures ever could.

Edit: Keep in mind, the no-negotiations stuff from Greece can be tied to a really young dude proving all the austerity statistics were bullshit and when nobody acknowledged this, the politicians 'went their own way' (which didn't work because had no money to actually enact anti-austerity policies)

Yeah I'm no expert on the situation, all I wanted to do is point out that the Greece situation is complicated and that there's different narratives used by the various involved parties.
Edit: yeah I'm in no way saying Greece is fully at fault here and I agree that especially early on the negotiations were basically just a polite shakedown by the EU.

JMolen fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 1, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Squishy posted:

This is really weird to see in a conservative strip.

Here, have an entire week of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Gay marriage overturns gravity, a bizarre cartoon.

• Locked thread