Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ad Nihilate the fucker

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, since you need to beat each boss 4 times anyway, you can try every strategy with every class you want.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Ad Nihilate the fucker

This.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Destroy them completely. Quests for the quest throne!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is this even a choice?

Don't even leave their souls behind, absolutely annihilate them.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

MightyPretenders posted:

Explain how to handle them normally, but show how to break them completely.

Go with this

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When has the overkill option ever NOT been chosen? Rip and tear!

It helps us to blow through them super fast and then 'and here's how an unoptimized team might handle it' and they take eighteen turns to the other's five.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Ad Nihilate the fucker

This basically.
If it makes anything in the main game easier, then abuse the ever loving hell out of it.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Ad Nihilate the fucker

:bandwagon:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Update 21: Preparing for Ayutthaya Port's Sea Quests

DS Version

While we could go on a manhunt for Olympia and make her pay for her betrayal, let's do some more Sea Quests first. If you have a Zodiac in your party, you really want to complete at least one of these. Though I consider this series of Sea Quests to be easier than Battavia's Sea Quests, since you're only fighting one enemy this time. No minions or multiple waves of enemies here. So let's take a look at them.

Drake
Class: Buccaneer
Weapon: Rapier
Skillset:
-Trickster: Level 4
-Lights Out: Level 2
-Chase Saber: Level 7
-Chase Blow: Level 7
-Chase Thrust: Level 7
-Hanging: Level 2
Supplies: None

This Sea Quest is kind of an excuse to show off the Buccaneer and they can be useful utility wise. The boss has no resistance to Blind, and isn't too resistant to head binds. Drake is a very helpful NPC, since head binds can shut the boss down. He'll resort to using the chasers if the boss is hit with both blind and head bind. Definitely the easiest Sea Quest of the bunch, but Drake doesn't bring any supplies to help you or himself out. Party composition doesn't matter too much here.

Rebecca
Class: Ninja
Weapon: Dagger
Skillset:
-Keburi No Sue: Level 5
-Karuwaza: Level 1
-Fukubari: Level 5
-Makabishi: Level 5

Rebecca is going to try to inflict Poison and Sleep on the boss. The boss isn't resistant to those ailments, so I guess they're nice to have. She's mostly gonna setup for Acardio, since Makabishi doesn't do that much Poison damage on its own. She does help chip down the boss with her skills.

Acardio
Class: Arbalist
Weapon: Crossbow
Skillset:
-Extend: Level 1
-Snipe: Level 5
-Smoke Grenade: Level 5

Acardio's the main damage dealer for the fight. He's gonna use Snipe while Rebecca is setting up for him, although he might support the party occasionally by throwing a Smoke Grenade at the boss. (Which has an 80% chance to inflict Blind.)

This isn't a tough one either, but the NPCs aren't gonna be too noticeable in contributing. Though they do chip away at the boss. I suggest bringing some offensive power for this one, although some support would be nice too.

Victoria
Class: Princess
Weapon: Sword
Skillset:
-Royal Lineage: Level 1
-Royal Veil: Level 2
-Reinforce: Level 2
-Nobility Proof: Level 1
-Attack Order: Level 3
-Guard Order: Level 3
-Protect Order: Level 2
Supplies:
-3 Medicas
-1 Amrita

Victoria and her crew return for another fight. Yes, some of the NPCs in the Sea Quests are recurring ones. Victoria will work on supporting her row, although don't expect her to help you out too much. She's going to buff her allies and try to keep them alive as best as she can.

Benjamin
Class: Hoplite
Weapon: Spear
Skillset:
-Recuperate: Level 3
-Bodyguard: Level 3
-Provoke: Level 3
Supplies:
-1 Amrita

Benjamin is kind of the same as before. Provoke the boss' attacks, and protect everyone else as best as he can. The boss only has physical attacks, so he's a very useful ally.

Albert
Class: Gladiator
Weapon: Mace
Skillset:
-Stun Attack: Level 3
-Avenger: Level 1
-Crushing Blow: Level 3
-Charge: Level 1
-Wolf Howl: Level 3
Supplies:
-1 Amrita

Albert is basically the main damage dealer for this fight. He'll try to lower the boss' defenses and maybe try to Confuse it. Unfortunately, he's the only damage dealer in the fight.

You might notice that unlike the other Sea Quests, this one doesn't make much use of ailments. It's up to you whether you want to make up for that, or bring some offense to the table. I highly recommend bringing some damage dealers to the fight for this one. Now let's take a look at our guild.

Princesses can be a valuable support for the fight with all their buffs and whatnot. But their best skill for the fight is Ad Nihilo. It nullifies any buffs the enemy has, and this boss does like to raise its defense from time to time. Unfortunately, our little Megaqueen does not have that skill yet.

Like I've said before, Buccaneers are a great class to bring along. Lights Out and Hanging can make the fight so much easier, or shut down the boss completely. Scott also has Eagle Eye to lower the boss' defenses, or cancel out its buffs.

Wildlings are fairly decent at this point. Poison deals an okay amount of damage, and they have access to a wide variety of ailments. Unfortunately, the NPCs may try to fight over which ailments get used, and try to which can make the Wildling a lot less useful, since the boss will become resistant, and eventually immune to the ailments. Wildlings can technically trivialize the fight, but Fang doesn't have the right skill to pull that off at the moment.

Oh boy. Zodiacs are by far the best offensive party member to bring to the fight, and on repeat visits, they can annihilate the boss and trivialize all the Sea Quests. The boss has a weakness to Fire and Volt attacks. But if your Zodiac has both Singularity and Etheric Charge, you're gonna see fireworks.

Ninjas are okay. They can bind the boss' legs, which only stops one of its attacks. But they do allow you to work with an extra party member, which can be nice. Though while Akatsuki has access to petrification, it's impossible for him to do that to the boss.

Unbind is now cheaper.

Immortality!

Resurrect revives a party member at a fixed amount of HP, which unfortunately means that Form Qi has no effect on it. At level 1, party members are revived at 1 HP.

Monks are decent supports to bring along, since they can heal party members and keep them alive. Yeah they really don't have much going for them at this point. If yours has Breakfire Fist, they can be somewhat effective against the boss. Though Faye has the 2nd highest TEC stat in the party, which can be taken advantage of after the first Sea Quest...

You can't burn us. We don't have time to combust!

I start leveling up Antifire here. At level 1 it decreases Fire damage by 10% and by 15% at level 2. Yeah, it's not that great at lower levels.

Hoplites are fantastic supports to bring along. If you have Line Guard mastered, the fight is very easy to go through since the boss only has physical attacks. If you play your cards right, your party will be taking little to no damge.

Rush now deals 117% damage per hit. Not great, but I'm taking this skill to unlock a much better one. You can stop leveling up the skill when you reach level 5.

Gladiators are great physical damage dealers since Charge provides a huge increase to their damage output, and it works with Limits. Wolf Howl also gives them some utility, since they can cancel out one of the boss' defense buff with it.

Heavy Shot now deals 147% damage.

Arbalists are also great physical damage dealers. I wouldn't recommend using the elemental barrages, since their other attacks can actually deal more damage. If yours has Smoke Grenade, you can inflict Blind very easily on the boss. But Sidney doesn't have that skill.

Earth's Bounty now increases the exp gained by 20%.

Farmers can put the boss to Sleep? It only has an 80% resistance to the ailment. Otherwise, they're Farmers.

I'm going to simplify the voting process for Sea Quests. Just vote for up to 3 characters. The top 5 choices will be the party members I that I will be allowed to choose from when forming teams for the Sea Quests. Which could mean that one person will miss out on all the action, depending on what I wish to do. Votes must be bolded.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 29, 2015

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Cassandra, Faye, Akatsuki

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Asteria, Cassandra, Rose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yntbXDAhNk

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Cassandra, Faye, Sidney

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Alice, Cassandra, Asteria

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Cassandra, Sidney, Asteria

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Asteria, Faye, Scott

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Faye, Asteria, Sidney

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Faye, Cassandra, and Rose

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
Scott for binds, Sidney for physical damage and Asteria to blast that beastie out of the water.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

overlordbunny posted:

Cassandra, Sidney, Asteria

Thusly did the shark poo poo it's fins.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Scott, Asteria, Sydney.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Fang, Sidney, Asteria.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Votes so far:

Cassandra: 7
Asteria: 6
Sidney: 6
Faye: 4
Scott: 3

Rose: 2
Alice: 1
Akatsuki: 1
Fang: 1
Susan: 0

I'll probably show off a little exploit you can do with this boss, if that's okay with everyone. It involves getting its conditional drop way earlier than you're supposed to. You're supposed to use one of the unlockable classes to acquire it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Actually, you know what? I'm ending the vote now. So the party I'm allowed to choose from will be Cassandra, Asteria, Sidney, Faye, and Scott. You said you wanted total annihilation? Oh, you are getting TOTAL ANNIHILATION! :flame:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yesssssss :unsmigghh:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'll probably show off a little exploit you can do with this boss, if that's okay with everyone. It involves getting its conditional drop way earlier than you're supposed to. You're supposed to use one of the unlockable classes to acquire it.

So on board. The Sea Quest unlockables, while solidly powerful, aren't top-tier unlockables like the boss conditionals are, so I'd honestly vote for use the thing too if you feel like using it (unless I'm wrong and they ARE top-tier. Then use it anyway, it's :atlus:, give no quarter!)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr. Fetus posted:

Actually, you know what? I'm ending the vote now. So the party I'm allowed to choose from will be Cassandra, Asteria, Sidney, Faye, and Scott. You said you wanted total annihilation? Oh, you are getting TOTAL ANNIHILATION! :flame:

The only good RPG system is the one broken over your knee! :unsmigghh:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hoist the sword with pride in the heart. :getin:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like it'd be appropriate to link Mass Destruction from Persona 3 at this point in the thread. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 22: Hammerhead

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

DS Version

Here's all the equipment I unlocked from the last trip into the Labyrinth. Now let's kill a shark.

DS Version

Here's the party I'll be going with, and the Limits I'll be using. Let's go.

DS Version

Just then, you spot a gigantic dorsal fin portruding from the water as it circles your ship! There’s no mistaking it, this is the behemoth shark terrorizing Ayutthaya!

There's the shark!

You know, you're a crazy person for trying to take it on alone.

The nervous tension in the air is broken when a figure so large it obscures your vision rips the water! You must join forces with your client to defeat the impending threat!

Well we're here now, and crap! It's jumped out! Here we go!

:black101:Video: Hammerhead:black101:

DS Version

Hammerhead
HP: 2710
TP: 703
STR: 27
VIT: 21
AGI: 20
LUC: 17
TEC: 22
Attack Type: Slash
Exp: 5611
Item Drops:
-Normal: Hammer Skull - 100% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Black Breaker (Mace. Must be restocked.)
--Hammer-shaped shark's skull that could cripple its prey.
-Gold: Gray Shield - Kill with Instant Death. 100% Drop Rate. Prevents normal drops. 1 needed for Somatemus (Shield. Must be restocked.)
--Absorbent shark scale that can withstand intense blows.
Description: A shark with a distincly shaped head. Its attack on ships shut down the port at Ayutthaya.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 150% Ice: 100% Volt: 150%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 80% Confusion: 50% Plague: 50% Poison: 80% Blind: 100% Curse: 30% Paralysis: 50%
Bind Resistances: Head: 80% Arm: 50% Leg: 50%
Other Resistances: Death: 1% Petrification: 1% Stun: 30%

Skills:

Evil Placoid: Uses the Head. Halves the damage Hammerhead takes from physical attacks.
Bite Off: Uses the Head. A single target attack that deals 180% Slash damage.
Shark Rush: Uses the Legs. Deals 140% Strike damage to a row.

Hammerhead is quite frankly, a pushover. There's nothing really special about this boss. I think these Sea Quests should have been swapped with Ayutthaya's Sea Quests (with some stat adjustments), because those were tougher to deal with, since the multiple waves of enemies wore you down. You really shouldn't have any trouble with any of these Sea Quests since the NPCs are reasonably competent.

I'll show you what you're expected to do in this fight.

If Drake lands the head bind from hanging, Hammerhead will be completely helpless for the duration. Aside from Shark Rush, but he'll rarely use that at this point.

Son of a...

Ha! Leave the heavy hitting to the real fighters, Faye!

:saddowns:

Sure, whatever you say, Sid.

Yoo hoo! Tasty shark food, over here!

Hammerhead will use Evil Placoid on the 1st turn, and then on every turn that's a multiple of 5. It's the first boss to follow that sort of attack pattern. Later bosses will use deadlier attacks instead when following that pattern.

Accumulating energy...

I'm going to have Cassandra keep Drake alive.

And Asteria's gonna be alternating between Etheric Charge and using a Star, since that increases her damage output by 50%.

Got him that time!

I barely felt that.

Fire at will!

Time to make things go by faster.

You know the drill, attack!

Now that is a lot of damage.

And Cassandra is shrugging off every hit. Hammerhead can't do anything to her.

Blinding Hammerhead also makes the fight a lot easier. His attacks have the standard 99 accuracy stat, but being able to dodge his attacks 2/3s of the time really helps.

When Hammerhead's HP drops below 75%, his AI changes.

I don't like the looks of that.

Charge: Uses the Head. Doubles the attack power of Hammerhead's next physical attack.

It'll start using Charge. If you see it do that, and its not Blinded or has its head bound, defend. Unless it does that like on turn 4 or 9 or something. In which case the charge will end up being wasted.

As Hammerhead's HP gets lower, he'll get more aggressive and use Charge a lot more often. Once it gets below 25% of his HP, he'll stop using Evil Placoid altogether, and will just try to attack you.

Oh, and head binds do have a side effect. In the first two game, it lowered the victim's accuracy by a certain amount. That's not the case anymore, now they halve the victim's TEC stat. It may sound incredibly pointless, since TEC attacks tend to use the head, but the TEC stat also decreases damage taken from TEC attacks. (If you've played Pokemon RBY, it's like the Special stat.) How big of a difference can this make?

You're fin-ished!

DS Version

It can make a very significant difference.

DS Version

This shark will no longer be a threat to Ayutthaya. Your party and the client wish each other good luck before setting sail back to port.

DS Version

Thanks to you, the distance from Armoroad to Ayutthaya will feel that much shorter. And hey, if they share their ship construction expertise, you may be in for more comfortable voyages. ...Which reminds me, this came in from Ayutthaya. Try to make good use of it in your adventures.

:getin: This grants us the Hellfire Limit. It's one of the first things that lets us break the game wide open. It's incredibly overpowered at this point in the game, and I'm surprised they gave it to you so early.

The Hammer Skull unlocks a mace that we can't buy, since we also need a rare drop to unlock it.

For the rematch, I'll be going with a bit of a different party to help showcase how overpowered Hellfire is.

And here's yet another typo. Hellfire actually goes at the end of the turn, not at the start.

And here's the Limit setup.

:vd:Video: Total Annihilation:vd:

Oh by the way, the rest of the Sea Quests here are compiled into this video.

DS Version

Hellfire is a random target attack that hits from 3 to 5 times, and deals 65% Fire damage per hit. It runs off of the average TEC stat between the users, so you want to have party members with high TEC stats to use this. Random target attacks hit enemies randomly, but they can hit the same enemy more than once. So if there's only one enemy in the fight, they can deal a lot of damage. Oh, but that's not what makes Hellfire so overpowered.

What makes it so overpowered is that it works with Etheric Charge!

AWOOOO!

Here's a blade in your eye!

Aw, what's the matter? Can't do anything with that hole in your skull? Ha ha ha!

Oh this is gonna be brutal.

Unleashing in 3... 2... 1!

BURN TO ASHES!

:stare:

Dang. That's just. Wow.

...How the hell am I supposed to surpass that?

DS Version

Asteria gets a well deserved level-up. Hellfire going last is a good thing, since you can have a Zodiac launch a Etheric Charged Hellfire immediately, instead of having to wait 2 turns, like with a Gladiator's Charge and a physical Limit.

DS Version

Man, for a former pirate, he sure is a gentleman. He must’ve really been something back in the day... And this is what he left behind for you. He hoped it would help make the future brighter for you guys.

The Harbormaster just leaves out the last two sentences if you already got the reward.

A very nice upgrade for Scott. Now let's do the other Sea Quests.

Now I'm going back to the party that the thread voted for.

Once again, I'm using Hellfire for this one.

DS Version

Just then, you spot a gigantic dorsal fin portruding from the water as it circles your ship! This must be the large shark that represents the final ordeal in the ritual of adulthood! The two nod to each other silently before surging forth to challenge the shark and prove their bravery!

Yeesh, what is it with these sea monsters not giving up?

As long as I get to roast his rear end again, that's fine with me! Ready to do it again?

Affirmative! Let's go!

DS Version

Scott isn't exactly durable, so I'm using Indomitable just in case he gets one shotted.

It's not gonna be as effective as last time, but it should still take off a huge chunk of his HP.

Nothing can take this sailor down!

Fukubari is a multi-target attack that deals incredibly subpar damage (40% to 80% from levels 1 through 10.) but has a 10% to 40% chance to inflict Sleep. It can only attack 3 different enemies. The success rate is lower than Lullaby's, but it doesn't put the user to Sleep.

Aw, I couldn't drill a hole through his skull. Maybe next time.

Smoke Grenade is one of the few skills in the game that tries to inflict an ailment without dealing damage. What it does is it has a 30% to 80% chance to inflict Blind on all enemies from levels 1 through 5.

Ready to see some fireworks?

Geez you two, leave some for the rest of us!

And now to finish him off.

Acardio is using Snipe here. At the end of the turn, if anything is inflicted with a status effect, he'll shoot at them. If not, he'll just put the crossbow down and do nothing.

You didn't need that.

What Scott just did here was dispel Hammerhead's defense buff. Buffs can be canceled out by debuffs, no matter how strong they are. Likewise, debuffs can be dispelled with buffs, no matter how strong either of them are.

And this is what happens if there's no valid target for Snipe.

I'm fintastic!

DS Version

If you're concerned that I missed out on a lot of the fight, don't be. There's really no special strategies you have to employ. Hammerhead is so basic, and there's not a whole lot that you have to do. Just let the NPCs do their thing, defend if it uses Charge, and just whittle it down.

DS Version

Though they rejoice innocently in their victory, the two already seem more mature than when you set sail. In any case, they were able to complete the ritual of adulthood! As they wave to the port town’s dwellers who are cheering them on, you set sail for the ocean city.

DS Version

So they put in this request because they couldn’t do it alone. Things are pretty convenient these days. Those two told me to give this to you. It’s supposedly in commemoration of your meeting.

If you already have this, his last line changes to this:

Thank you for helping out as you always do. Keep up the good work, good luck out in the sea.

Could be decent on a Ninja. Now let's do the last Sea Quest.

This is gonna be a short one.

DS Version

Just then, you spot a gigantic dorsal fin portruding from the water as it circles your ship! There’s no mistaking it, this is the behemoth shark terrorizing Ayutthaya. As you all draw your weapons in preparation for battle, the shark suddenly jumps out of the waves!

DS Version

The strategy for this fight is to let the NPCs do their thing, and to bring some offense so you can take Hammerhead down before Victoria and her crew get completely worn down. Which isn't difficult to pull off.

I lava good fight. :frogc00l:

Why do you do this to me?

DS Version

Or you can just obliterate it with Hellfire.

DS Version

Upon confirming that, the Princess nods to her two subjects and they wave a flag toward Ayutthaya. As your ship sets sail towards the ocean city, the flag bearing her kingdom’s emblem flaps proudly...

DS Version

Helping the weak and crushing the oppressive... It seems she truly understands her duties as a ruler. Ah, and this is for you from her subjects. They hoped that this would repay you for your kindness.

If you already have Benjamin's Shield, his last line changes to this:

...Well done. But the sea is vast, so don’t let it go to your heads. I hope you’ll keep doing your best.

A nice shield upgrade for Cassandra. Now there's a couple of things left to tie up. Such as turning in the quests that were finished two updates ago.

DS Version

Oh, it is you who are back! And you have the Thick Throat! Well doings! Hmm... I’ve never touched a raw Thick Throat before. It is an interesting texture, yes? Well! I will be making sure to deliver this to the clinic. Here is your reward, as promised! I am looking forward to you help later!

Ah, you are back! Hello! Did you get the job done?

Yes. The statue actually healed up our injuries as thanks. Who knows what other powers it has.

...Huh? You say the statue has mysterious powers?

:geno:

Really?

It's true! The statue really did heal us!

Well, it looks like Swallow’s found someone to believe her nutty story. She will be happy. This request was truly a case of ”What goes around comes around,” right? Well, here is your reward for what you did! Thank you!

The Panic Fleuret gives regular attacks a 21% chance to inflict Confusion. Unfortunately, the only classes that can make use of that are the Prince and the Buccaneer.

Now there's actually one last thing I want to cover. Hammerhead's Gold Drop. It's killing Hammerhead with Instant Death, but he has a 1% resistance to it, meaning that anything less than a 100% infliction chance will be rounded down to 0%, and not have any effect. The only classes that can inflict Instant Death are the Ninja and the Wildling. The Ninja has the Kubikiri passive, which has a 7% to 20% chance to make regular attacks inflict Instant Death from levels 1 through 10. Yeah, not gonna work. Wildlings have the Call Tiger ability, which only has a 5% to 20% chance to inflict Instant Death from levels 1 through 10. However, the Wildling's Wild Mastery skill does ignore the 1% Instant Death resistance. But don't get too excited, because Atlus did account for that.

You see, there's a 2nd multiplier called Lethal Resistance, which was specifically implemented to deal with Wild Mastery. It only applies to Instant Death and Petrification, but Wildlings can't inflict Petrification, so that's a moot point. Unlike the first two games, where almost every boss had immunity to Instant Death, there are only 2 bosses in the whole game that are flat out immune to Instant Death. The only enemies that have Lethal Resistance are the ones who have a 1% resistance to Instant Death and Petrification, so this doesn't affect stuff like random encounters and FOEs. However, not every enemy with a 1% resistance has Lethal Resistance. The Sea Lobsters and Red Puffers in Batavia's Sea Quests have a 1% resistance to the ailment, but Call Tiger will have the 15% chance to instantly kill them thanks to Wild Mastery. This is only limited to bosses and Pasarans. The Lethal Resistance multiplier ranges from 11% to 51%. So the 15% chance from Wild Mastery would get reduced to 1.65% to 7.65% depending on the boss. And yes, decimals are actually used here, though that barely helps. Hammerhead has a Lethal Resistance of 51%, so you have a 7.65% chance to kill it instantly with a tiger. It's theoretically possible to kill nearly all the bosses with the Wildling's Tiger, but all of the Stratum bosses have a Lethal Resistance of 11%, so I really wouldn't bother with that.

Still, a 7.65% chance to instantly kill Hammerhead isn't that great. Thankfully there is a better way to pull it off. One of the unlockable classes has an ability that will instantly kill its target once the enemy's HP drops below a certain threshold. Said ability completely ignores any resistances to Instant Death, including Lethal Resistance. But it doesn't hit through immunities. I'll show off how to get the Gold Drop properly, but if you're impatient, I can show you how to get it right now. First things first, you're gonna need a Wildling with Call Tiger.

One of the prerequisites is maxing out Wild Mastery.

If you really want to do that for me, I guess I can't stop you.

Nature Pact itself isn't a requirement for Call Tiger, but leveling up to 3 unlocks Sacrifice 2, which is needed to unlock it. What Nature Pact does is that if a Wildling is about to die, any beasts that are out in battle have a chance to take the mortal blow in their place, and this will kill them no matter how much HP they have. After that, the Wildling gets healed for a fixed amount. The chance for a beast to take the blow ranges from 10% to 50% from levels 1 through 10, and the heal ranges from 10 to 200 HP from levels 1 through 9. At level 10, the Wildling will heal fully if this passive procs.

Wait, not just me? You wanna protect the others too? Um, okay. If you really want to.

The Sacrifice skills enables your beasts to act like meatshields. Sacrifice 2 gives them a 10% to 40% chance to take an elemental attack in someone else's place if in they're in the same row and get targeted with one. Sacrifice 1 is the physical variant, and scales in the same way.

Tiger fri-:gibs:

Hang on, I'll wake him up.

Call Tiger is a bit of an unusual skill. On the initial cast, it summons a Tiger, who will try to instantly kill everything, and has a 5% to 20% chance of success. The Tiger has a 150% stat multiplier, the highest of any beast, but its AI attacks operate differently. Instead of casting the instant death attack again, the Tiger will wait for an attack to hit it, and then it will counterattack with a composite Slash/Strike/Pierce attack that deals 120% to 200% damage depending on the skill level. The counterattack has no additional effects, so if you want it to use the instant death attack again, you have to cast Call Tiger again. Its base HP ranges from 160 to 320 depending on the skill level. Okay, now that everything is set up, let's pull off the exploit.

:rip:Video: Hammerhead RNG exploit:rip:

Step 1: Go to Inver Port and save your game.

Step 2: Do a soft reset.

Saving again isn't necessary.

Step 3: Choose Ex-pirate ascendant.

:siren:Step 4: Place the Wildling, and only the Wildling in that exact same slot. This won't work if you don't do this.:siren:

You don't need to equip any Limits.

Step 5: Use a Medica (Or any single use consumable) on Drake.

I'll warn you right now, if everything doesn't play out in the exact same way that I've shown, Drake using the same abilities, dealing out the same amount of damage, then you screwed up somewhere.

Step 6: Use Call Tiger.

RIP. Oh, and if you want, you can actually extend the exploit by doing the same Sea Quest again immediately, and then having your Wildling immediately use Call Tiger again. That'll instnatly kill it, and then you'll get another Gray Shield. And this can be repeated as much as you want. Until your Wildling gets faster than Drake anyways.

So why is this possible? Well, all the Etrian Odyssey games set the seed for the RNG to 0 when you soft reset the game. This is actually by design, so if you take the exact same actions, the exact same outcomes will happen. This also allows you to manipulate the RNG and well, pretty much a lot of things in the game such as item drops if you know what you're doing. Heck, you can even make it so that Call Tiger will kill the Stratum bosses on the first cast. However, the encounter rate isn't affected by soft resets so that will mess things up. But you don't have to go through any dungeon to access the Sea Quests. You just have to sift through some menus, and because of that, a whole bunch of Sea Quest exploits were discovered. If you know how to manipulate the RNG, you can bend the games to your will. I'll be showcasing some of the more well known exploits, but I won't be abusing them, since that would be incredibly cheap and won't be fun for anybody.

The Gray Shield... unlocks a shield that we can't buy at the moment. Even though I got the drop through dirty dirty cheatingan exploit, don't worry. I'll show off the proper method to get the drop, once that becomes available.

Anyways, I leveled up every guild member to 20. Let's check up on them, shall we?

So those murders have been going on for decades. We better catch her, and soon. We'll avenge everyone who fell for her trap.

Unbind now affects a row.

I knew the Labyrinth was dangerous, but I never imagined things would escalate to that level.

Antifire now decreases Fire damage by 20% for one turn.

If I see that traitor, I'll launch a few bolts into her! Can't believe she's been getting away with this for who knows how long.

Heavy Shot now deals 150% damage.

We were very fortunate to not share the grave site with the fallen explorers.

Izuna deals 207% damage, and has a 39% chance to Petrify an enemy.

Olympia better watch out if I run into her. I've got a new weapon, and some new puns to say to her!

Ice Mastery increases Ice damage by 3%. As for why I'm leveling this up, I want Asteria to get Binary Ice by the time I reach the 3rd Stratum, which requires 5 points in Ice Mastery.

I can't believe she had the gall to attempt to slay a queen! Wait, did the Senator say this was going on for decades? Oh god! :barf:

Guard Order decreases damage taken by 22%.

It's one thing if an animal wants to kill you, but another person? How sick and twisted do you have be to murder hundreds of people?

Sword Mastery increases the damage of regular attacks by 4%. I'm actually going to max this out to unlock Rose's best damage skill.

Come to think of it, how come we were the only ones to escape that? There were so many holes in that trap, now that I think about it.

Maybe you all just got a really lucky break or something. Nothing lasts forever.

Maybe.

Eagle Eye now decreases an enemy's defense by 25%.

Don't worry, my friends will protect us! Maybe.

Wild Mastery now provides a 13% bonus chance to infliction rates. And yes, I reverted Fang's skillset back to what I had before doing the exploit. I'm not siccing a Tiger onto everything for the rest of the game.

I-I don't know if I-I want to do this anymore. I mean, she should be stopped, but I don't know what I can do to help.

Keen Eye now shows all FOEs on the map for 10 steps. I'm leveling this up now, since there's a skill I want Alice to have by the 3rd Stratum.

Next time: The hunt for Olympia.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 7, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think they gave Hellfire to you here because you can still make great use of it in the 2nd Stratum.

Ah EO games. How fun it is to break you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ridiculously overpowered flame alchemy, you say?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

This is why Zodiacs were my favorite class in EO3 :allears:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Once I got hell fire, I kept it on Faye and Asteria.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Actually, I don't think it's a matter of all the previous victims not having Ariadne Threads. Rather, I think it's a different piece of advice they failed to heed:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Very good advice for playing any Etrian Odyssey game.

As they say, discretion is the better part of valor. :fireman:

Also, it's kind of odd that Olympia's been apparently pulling this con for decades now, but doesn't really look that much older than anyone in our guild. If she's really been at it for that long, you'd think she'd look closer to Flowdia in age.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Voting time! Just pick 3 characters you want to see go on the manhunt for Olympia. That is all.

cdyoung posted:

This basically.
If it makes anything in the main game easier, then abuse the ever loving hell out of it.

If I actually did this in the LP, it would be like watching me kick a puppy. EO3 already has one of the easiest main games in the series. Taking every single opportunity to break it over my knee would be just plain overkill.

Oh, and if you have a 3DS, the EO2U demo hits the eshop on July 14th. Size should be around 1220 blocks. It's Story only, no Classic. Level cap is 10, and you can only go down up to the 3rd floor. Demo data carries over to the full game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alice, Asteria, Akatsuki

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Its also possible that she's been changing things up and has been using different traps over the years. It is odd though, that she looks so young. Maybe its a family thing? Or maybe she's a monster in disguise.

Fang the Tiger Prince, Asteria the Hellfire Queen, and her loyal sidekick Brimstone Faye

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Alice, Akatsuki, and Rose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
she's a robot. she looks like a robot. this is my prediction

• Locked thread