Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Boten Anna posted:

That said, Ethical Games Journalists internet wide are bitching and moaning about everything being locked behind the main story quest and while I personally feel these issues are overblown, I'm also an addicted rear end in a top hat that has like 5 characters through the MSQ (and 3 ready to walk into Ishgard) and for better or for worse, that's what's out there for Heavensward--it's great, but Neckbeard McDew of Igtakugon's review was mostly just crying about the story quest lock.

It is kinda lame that I can't get access to any Heavensward stuff right off the bat. I'm barely past Ultima Weapon in the storyline and all the quests from 2.1-2.5 are looking pretty daunting to me, especially after getting through all the story quests in 2.0 was such a slog. :(

It almost reminds me of Chains of Promathia, where everyone would plop down $30 for an expansion and only like 10% of the playerbase could actually make it through the first Promyvion missions and get to the game's actual content. CoP had good storyline and was one of the first times an MMO was truly cinematic, but gently caress did it have the very worst game design ever at launch.

Granted, this isn't nearly as bad as that, don't think I'm saying that it is, it's just a long tedious chore to get to Heavensward vs. having to deal with extreme nut punching difficulty from the get-go.

Boten Anna posted:

There's no way the suits aren't paying attention to that, and it's assuredly dissuaded a number of sales. At the very least, 4.0 is going to have a large chunk of content that new and old players alike can jump into, and my guess is it will be coupled with a complete revamp of the class and job system that might do something like let all current and the new 4.0 jobs be starting jobs and get rid of classes entirely. While I doubt they'll make huge changes to the ARR/HW MSQ, I could see the 4.0 MSQ starting at level 1 with the option to do ARR/HW on a second job or simultaneously for new players.

Ultimately, we'll just have to see, but so far they've been great at responding to feedback and fixing things there is a large number of complaints about, and I'm fully confident they will make completely different mistakes going forward. :)

Honestly, I would love a total revamp of the job system. It's so... weird and bolted together like a Frankenstein monster due to the class\job divide. Tanaka didn't want any of the classic jobs as he wanted the game to be arbitrarily different, but it's a Final Fantasy game and you have to have White Mage, Black Mage and so on, so Yoshi P stuck jobs on top of that and it was weird.

I think they should just throw out classes entirely and be like "okay, Gladiator is just Paladin from level 1 now, Lancer is now Dragoon" and so on. And let the jobs use the cross-class skills like classes used to have so you get the best of both worlds. Stuff like Pugilist and Monk being separate things but also not is just clunky and dumb and I'd like it to go away forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

nuru posted:

Are they still shifty at 60?

Nothing will aggro you, but the stealth quests still exist so

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I wish they would change the level 50 dungeons to give good XP. Fate grinding N.Than to get from 50-51 is a bummer.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Gammatron 64 posted:

It is kinda lame that I can't get access to any Heavensward stuff right off the bat. I'm barely past Ultima Weapon in the storyline and all the quests from 2.1-2.5 are looking pretty daunting to me, especially after getting through all the story quests in 2.0 was such a slog. :(

If it makes you feel any better, the 2.1-2.55 story content is far better than 2.0's story. Some of the quests are certainly pretty dull, but there's also some really good instances mixed in there. The climax of the storyline is really, really good.

I hope they some day compress the hell out of those quests, though. I think it makes sense to get players that story content to set up Heavensward, but I think they could find a good medium between "20 more hours of gameplay" and "basically just a YouTube lore recap" if they went back and redesigned it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Gammatron 64 posted:

2.1 quests up to King Mog are lovely filler because Minfilia turns everything she touches into :geno:, but King Mog is fine because of the music.

For the rest of it, they're alright, story-wise. Heavensward is new and sexy but there's enjoyable stuff leading up to it. Some good bosses and dungeons, some fantastic character scenes (particularly involving certain city leaders), and the story plays out pretty much exactly as you'd expect a trashy fantasy genre serial to, and I actually mean that as a positive. Like, if you go into FFXIV's story like you might have gone into cheap Forgotten Realms novels between D&D sessions in middle school, it'll be fine.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think they should just throw out classes entirely and be like "okay, Gladiator is just Paladin from level 1 now, Lancer is now Dragoon" and so on. And let the jobs use the cross-class skills like classes used to have so you get the best of both worlds. Stuff like Pugilist and Monk being separate things but also not is just clunky and dumb and I'd like it to go away forever.

This is basically what they'd like to do. But the class system is entwined with so much poo poo, it's a nightmare of hacks to get it working as well as it does now. So they can't really justify the manpower... but someday maybe.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Same with being able to increase the amount of space in the Armoury/Inventory/Grand Company Chest, right?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

mor dhona -> castrum

those loving tongue pulls

so loving annoying

If you can use stoneskin then they won't break it, and if the tongue doesn't do damage it doesn't pull you to the frog. :science:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

abraham linksys posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the 2.1-2.55 story content is far better than 2.0's story. Some of the quests are certainly pretty dull, but there's also some really good instances mixed in there. The climax of the storyline is really, really good.

I hope they some day compress the hell out of those quests, though. I think it makes sense to get players that story content to set up Heavensward, but I think they could find a good medium between "20 more hours of gameplay" and "basically just a YouTube lore recap" if they went back and redesigned it.

Well that's good. The storylines to 1.0 and 2.0 (yes, I actually suffered through 1.0) were pretty dang mediocre. Getting through 2.0's scenario was really a chore and only started to pick up at the end where you get to fight the Empire.

I hate to be the jerk who constantly compares XIV to XI, but maaaannn... I really like FFXI's storylines and job system, way, WAY better. Granted, FFXIV's everything else is much better, I just wish the actual job system wasn't such a weird inconsistent mess and the jobs themselves felt more like the classic ones from FF1/3/5/Tactics and so on. FFXI's job system was VERY faithful, but perhaps to a fault as it's game balance was really, really hosed. Granted, pretty much every single previous Final Fantasy game was broken as poo poo if you knew what you were doing and had awful balance, but every previous game was also single player so it didn't matter all that much.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does Ruin III have any use case before Dreadwyrm Trance?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Now that the level cap is 60, all the MSDR and HLDR dungeons should give XP.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ciaphas posted:

Not really.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

MSQ rant, do not read unless finished:

Lolorito: Hey Raubahn, sorry I pulled a princess bride and tried to get you and Ilberd to kill each other while pretending Nanamo was dead, and presumably had all the other scions killed by Crystal Braves. Want to be General again?
Raubahn [MISSING AN ARM]: Sure, great. No need to mention my missing arm, or all the scions that we think are dead right now.
Alphinaud: [Never mentions Scions]
Tataru: [Never mentions Scions]
Warrior of Light: [Not mentioning Scions intensifies]

:smith:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Argas posted:

What annoys me with the BLM changes is that it adds more bloat to BLM in terms of poo poo we don't use. We have three thunders and one trait and they more or less go by the wayside except between enochians.

I don't want any thunders because thunder is a boring spell. I hate having to watch for thundercloud and I'm only level 33.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

nuru posted:

MSQ rant, do not read unless finished:

:smith:

I have to agree with that assessment.

I kinda feel like they needed a scene of Al going 'Yeah, we're staying the HELL out of this.' though this MAY be a case of 'show not tell' since there's been extremely little involvement with Ul'dah among the remaining Scions. Everything is going through Gridania and LimLom now. Relations between the Scions and ISHGARD are better than between them and Ul'dah right now.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Lore question about The Aery, and I guess general spoilers for the whole MSQ:

Why is there what amounts to Allagan scrap metal in/around Nidhogg's arena? I understand that the Allagans captured and enslaved dragons, but going by the timeline, that was 5000(?) years ago, and the Churning Mists city was built ~1500 years ago. I'm assuming this is going to be fleshed out in the inevitable Nidhogg trial?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Beating on mobs where depleting your mp isn't an issue.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

So, I just unlocked the last Ninjutsu element. Are any of these spells worth using besides Huton (the attack speed buff)? Suiton has potential for a 680 potency attack but it takes a long time to execute. Doton seems like an okay DoT I guess?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

johnny park posted:

So, I just unlocked the last Ninjutsu element. Are any of these spells worth using besides Huton (the attack speed buff)? Suiton has potential for a 680 potency attack but it takes a long time to execute. Doton seems like an okay DoT I guess?

:stare:

Read this:
http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27462

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Goddamn it feels that the new triple triad NPCs have poo poo drop rates.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

suztan posted:

Lore question about The Aery, and I guess general spoilers for the whole MSQ:

Why is there what amounts to Allagan scrap metal in/around Nidhogg's arena? I understand that the Allagans captured and enslaved dragons, but going by the timeline, that was 5000(?) years ago, and the Churning Mists city was built ~1500 years ago. I'm assuming this is going to be fleshed out in the inevitable Nidhogg trial?

I didn't notice any Allagan stuff there. Either way, the Allagans had a definite presence in the area, so their junk lying around wouldn't be too weird, even if they never directly interacted with the Dravanians. Can you take a screenshot of what you mean?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

It's asking me to register. Can you just paste it here?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Mazed posted:

Is this true, and can anyone confirm whether or not it remains so? :stare:

I've been leveling Machinist as what feels like a long-term investment. It's really unimpressive and the way abilities line up is too much effort for very little reward, but the the look and the animations just feel so good. Also I love the Ishgardians being handed guns being all like, "I don't get it, you're wasting your time, what's the big d-OH HEY THIS IS WHAT THEY DO OKAY WOW"

They can probably keep the RNG if they ratchet up the damage bonus from the procs, and add a third proc for Split Shot that can trigger off either of the others. That ought to give the DPS a properly explosive feel and make it different enough from Bard.

Present state notwithstanding, anyone who bleeds Maelstrom-red should be leveling MCH out of sheer principle, 'til sea loving swallows all. :black101:

they fixed that a while ago

they could fix it in a few different ways, but there's no point trying to figure it out. they'll tweak everything before alexander drops. apparenlty MCH are being dropped from PF EX groups in Japan, and when the japanese get angry, stuff gets changed quickly.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

johnny park posted:

It's asking me to register. Can you just paste it here?

Okay, basic rundown of ninjitsu:

Huton is your bread and butter, you want it up at all times. It increases your attack speed and WS speed so you hit faster, ezpz.
Suiton allows you do Trick Attack or Sneak Attack without being Hidden. Trick Attack is a 400 potency attack (read: alot) that also buffs all damage on the enemy by 10% for 10s. Its really, really good and you want to be using it every 60s as TA comes off CD.
Raiton is your filler attack. You generally want to be using it when you don't need refresh Huton and TA is on cooldown.
Fuma is kind of a shittier Raiton, but since it's physical and only has one jutsu it occasionally sees use.
Doton is bad, you don't want to use it unless a) there is 3+ enemies and b) they will survive the full duration.
Katon is eh, use it for aoe if the enemies are going to survive a full rotation of Doton.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
More goons should play on Balmung. Just saying.

EDIT: So that UFO floating around the expansion zones is definitely the Lunar Whale, right? It has to be.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 1, 2015

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

bonewitch posted:

Okay, basic rundown of ninjitsu:

Huton is your bread and butter, you want it up at all times. It increases your attack speed and WS speed so you hit faster, ezpz.
Suiton allows you do Trick Attack or Sneak Attack without being Hidden. Trick Attack is a 400 potency attack (read: alot) that also buffs all damage on the enemy by 10% for 10s. Its really, really good and you want to be using it every 60s as TA comes off CD.
Raiton is your filler attack. You generally want to be using it when you don't need refresh Huton and TA is on cooldown.
Fuma is kind of a shittier Raiton, but since it's physical and only has one jutsu it occasionally sees use.
Doton is bad, you don't want to use it unless a) there is 3+ enemies and b) they will survive the full duration.
Katon is eh, use it for aoe if the enemies are going to survive a full rotation of Doton.

Okay, thanks. I don't have Kassatu yet, but when I do, I just use it to amp a Raiton or Katon, right? Everything else seems like it would suck rear end unless you can stack Dotons or something.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I went through them a couple weeks ago, and the quests get better and better as you go along; things start picking up especially after the Leviathan fight. 2.5 is really good, and a prerequisite to really enjoying heavensward, so do enjoy it.

quote:

Honestly, I would love a total revamp of the job system. It's so... weird and bolted together like a Frankenstein monster due to the class\job divide. Tanaka didn't want any of the classic jobs as he wanted the game to be arbitrarily different, but it's a Final Fantasy game and you have to have White Mage, Black Mage and so on, so Yoshi P stuck jobs on top of that and it was weird.

They want to axe the class/job thing as it's apparently bloating character data and making huge performance problems, and I expect them to work out how for 4.0. The problem is that there's current lore and a reason for separating class and job, so they'd have to redo and/or retcon a lot of content, and ultimately they want to keep 2.0 and 3.0 playable as is, so a very creative solution is required.

I think this will naturally be a good excuse to somehow make 4.0 have a bunch of level 1 available content by switching jobs around a bit (it's not impossible that a "new" job would be Rogue, for instance) and possibly even starting its story there instead of at the end of Heavensward with something of a new act that is markedly disconnected from wherever heavensward goes, or offers a different timeline to go through basically that later converges to get to the finale (and maybe requires both storylines done) so new players don't feel left out and old players can take a new job through it and have it feel like a beefy purchase.

Basically, both are complicated problems to solve, but there are options there that could help one excuse and play into the other, and they probably will!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well that's good. The storylines to 1.0 and 2.0 (yes, I actually suffered through 1.0) were pretty dang mediocre. Getting through 2.0's scenario was really a chore and only started to pick up at the end where you get to fight the Empire.

I hate to be the jerk who constantly compares XIV to XI, but maaaannn... I really like FFXI's storylines and job system, way, WAY better. Granted, FFXIV's everything else is much better, I just wish the actual job system wasn't such a weird inconsistent mess and the jobs themselves felt more like the classic ones from FF1/3/5/Tactics and so on. FFXI's job system was VERY faithful, but perhaps to a fault as it's game balance was really, really hosed. Granted, pretty much every single previous Final Fantasy game was broken as poo poo if you knew what you were doing and had awful balance, but every previous game was also single player so it didn't matter all that much.

As one of those grognerds who loves CoP to death, XIV's story gets better. Honestly I'd say with the exception of one very dumb thing, Heavensward is as good as any XI story. They clearly learned a lot from 2.0 to now in terms of story telling and how to approach characters and it really shows. I mean this doesn't help when you're slogging through to get to HW, but trust me it's pretty good. :v:

Granted this world will never be Vana'diel and I love Vana'diel to death while I'm still meh on Eorzea (largely because this game has a bad case of the GoT grimdark everyone is kind of an awful poo poo but you're friends with them so oh well) but yeah. IF anything I think what you're experiencing is that the player character is very much the main character in XIV, while in XI you were a side character. I preferred XI's method as having a story around a blank is boring as poo poo, but I know a lot of goons love that they are center stage. Like everything else, this gets handled better in HW.

As for talking about balance and design, I'm sorry XI's team had no clue what either were. It was an awful mess of a game that somehow mostly worked by a miracle. Just a daily reminder that FFXI ninja was supposed to be a dps and samurai was supposed to tank. Also Square was monolithic and uncommunicative as hell in those days. Sweeping job changes would be summed up as "Ranger has been adjusted" end patch notes. The crisis of 1.0 and letting Yoshi actually interact with the fans is some kind of miracle.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Aetherochemical Research Factory ruled, holy poo poo

May be the best-looking area in the game so far

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

abraham linksys posted:

Aetherochemical Research Factory ruled, holy poo poo

May be the best-looking area in the game so far

Sorry but Anor Londo is the best looking zone in the game

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

johnny park posted:

Okay, thanks. I don't have Kassatu yet, but when I do, I just use it to amp a Raiton or Katon, right? Everything else seems like it would suck rear end unless you can stack Dotons or something.

On single target, Kassatu Raiton is the way to go. Ideally you want to Suiton > TA > Kassatsu > Raiton so you get a crit + 10% damage buffed raiton, but you can only do that every 2 minutes.

On AoE, it comes down how long the targets are going to last. Kassatsu Doton is not that bad since it causes every tick to crit, but again it needs to be hitting targets for the full duration to beat out Katon.

And no, you cant stack Doton.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Verranicus posted:

More goons should play on Balmung. Just saying.

EDIT: So that UFO floating around the expansion zones is definitely the Lunar Whale, right? It has to be.

Whatever it is.. it's very, very weird.

Allagan, and by extension Imperial, ships have a sort of shellfish look to them with spiraling and curved shells and plating. The Allagan achieve this look through a series of long, interconnected pieces that sort of fit together like a huge jigsaw. The Imperials achieve a similar look with a large, curved surface of armor plating.

This ship looks nothing like either. But unlike the Imperials it DOES have the Ominous Glow of Allagan design down pat.. if in the wrong SHADE.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Really digging this damage meter, its just what the game was missing. I always hated being in the dark for performance.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Eimi posted:

As for talking about balance and design, I'm sorry XI's team had no clue what either were. It was an awful mess of a game that somehow mostly worked by a miracle. Just a daily reminder that FFXI ninja was supposed to be a dps and samurai was supposed to tank. Also Square was monolithic and uncommunicative as hell in those days. Sweeping job changes would be summed up as "Ranger has been adjusted" end patch notes. The crisis of 1.0 and letting Yoshi actually interact with the fans is some kind of miracle.

Red Mage, God of all mages. God of all classes. Who needs a party when you can solo Gods and dragons? I imagine that every time it's brought up about adding Red Mage to FFXIV some of the SE vets getting looks of absolute wide eyed horror on their faces.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tenzarin posted:

Really digging this damage meter, its just what the game was missing. I always hated being in the dark for performance.

Which one is that, and is it accurate?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't care about my dps as long as i'm generating more enmity than the other dps, and if i'm not it's definitely because my gear sucks anyway.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Those post-credits scenes, oh my god :catstare:

I am so glad I didn't google what was under the bubble, what the poo poo?!?!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Goddamn this game is pretty. Here's a link to a screenshot I took in the final zone (not too spoilery, but just in case...)

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Givin posted:

Red Mage, God of all mages. God of all classes. Who needs a party when you can solo Gods and dragons? I imagine that every time it's brought up about adding Red Mage to FFXIV some of the SE vets getting looks of absolute wide eyed horror on their faces.

The main reason Red Mage isn't in is because it makes utterly no sense in the current system context as a hybrid of multiple different roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Gearhead posted:

The main reason Red Mage isn't in is because it makes utterly no sense in the current system context as a hybrid of multiple different roles.

Also, because Scholar is FF14's Red Mage.

• Locked thread