Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ragingsheep posted:

How safe is it to boost voltage on the msi 970 4g on air? Max afterburner will allow is +85mV.

Totally safe. If it gets too hot it'll just throttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ragingsheep posted:

How safe is it to boost voltage on the msi 970 4g on air? Max afterburner will allow is +85mV.

You won't break anything bumping voltage all the way up on stock bios

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

Don Lapre posted:

You won't break anything bumping voltage all the way up on stock bios

This is true, however bumping the voltage all the way up isn't necessarily a good approach. I can't speak for the 970, but on the 960 an increased voltage results in the card hitting its power limit at lower frequencies than it would otherwise. That stunts performance and is counter-productive to overclocking; the optimum settings are a modest voltage bump (+20 mV) which allow a higher core clock without hitting power limits prematurely.

Of course if you flash the BIOS to increase the power limits then whatever go crazy.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

sauer kraut posted:

Oh god no, order a Cooler Master N200 for 40$ or something.

This sort of thing?

Edit: actually, looking at it I'd prefer to avoid a mini case as I'm also housing this thing which needs a fair bit of room, never mind the big card. Any recommendations on a larger case anyone? My google-fu isn't working today.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 30, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rather Dashing posted:

This sort of thing?

Edit: actually, looking at it I'd prefer to avoid a mini case as I'm also housing this thing which needs a fair bit of room, never mind the big card. Any recommendations on a larger case anyone? My google-fu isn't working today.

Most mATX cases will happily accommodate that cooler - it isn't that big. There is a list of decent cases of various size and price in the OP of the PCPartspicking thread. This is a reasonable budget choice though:

http://www.ebuyer.com/646952-fractal-design-core-3300-e-atx-case-fd-ca-core-3300-bl

or any other Fractal design case except the core 1000 - there are more premium ones too.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 30, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Rather Dashing posted:

This sort of thing?

If you repost in the parts picking thread you will get tons of replies. Im a bit behind on cases

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rather Dashing posted:

This sort of thing?

The N200 recommended will fit that cooler, it accommodates coolers up to 160mm and yours is 158mm in height, it's close but it will fit just fine, see here: http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-tower/n200/

There are other cases that will fit it too, for instance:
Fractal Design Core 1500
Silverstone PS07B

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Alereon posted:

Also, there's a pretty wide gap between the GTX 750 Ti and the GTX 960. Has anyone heard anything about a GTX 950?
Here's an article answering my own question from a week ago, there's an upcoming GTX 950/Ti based on the GTX 960:

quote:

Here is what we know for sure:
  • the new processor is codenamed GM206-250
  • it’s a GeForce product
  • it’s a GTX product (which means it’s not GT x40 and below).
Well that’s not much, but don’t forget this information very fresh. The GM206-250 is cut-down version of GM206-300, which is the full processor with 1024 CUDA cores used in GTX 960.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 30, 2015

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Alereon posted:

Here's an article answering my own question from a week ago, there's an upcoming GTX 950/Ti based on the GTX 960:

Gay. They need something between the 960 and 970 way more than that.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'm always open to more options but considering the 970 price drop (over the 770) I feel like a 960 ti would make the lineup a little crowded. That being said, I see even less need for a new 750ti but ... I'm not going to outwardly complain about new anything so I guess ill shut up lol

Would be cool if it were a Pascal preview though :coal:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Would be cool if it were a Pascal preview though :coal:

Not with that model number, right?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Not with that model number, right?

You mean a 900 series? They did it for Maxwell and the 700s.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bleh Maestro posted:

Gay. They need something between the 960 and 970 way more than that.

I think nVidia is probably happy with the contrast between the 970 and 960. The 970 is enough better to tempt people into splurging for it, but not so much pricier that people are discouraged about losing out if they chose not to spend and go for a 960.

A 960 Ti will eventually show up, but nVidia isn't in any rush, especially with the competition flailing around so obviously. 4 to 6 months, maybe?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

El Scotch posted:

You mean a 900 series? They did it for Maxwell and the 700s.

I mean the "GM" in the name of the chip. Pascal will be "GP", like Kepler was "GK".

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Aw, hopes dashed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Asus 980ti has a 1317 stock boost clock o_O. 26 more than the g1

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The stock boost clock isn't too important though. It is where you can get the card in the end. The vast majority of 980ti cards from any manufacturer should break 1400. So far, the gigabyte cards seem to have the best luck breaking 1500. My MSI starts getting artifacts around 1470. Still, I don't regret it. Noise levels are important to me, and MSI's cooler is nice and quiet. Zero coil whine too.

Right now I am running at 1445 core and 3900 memory. Played GTAV for the better part of a day using those settings with zero hiccups, so I think that is where I am going to keep it. Probably a little conservative, especially considering I am not putting extra voltage into it, but eh.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 1, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

When are we suppose to get non scalper non reference 980tis back in places like amazon? Most are in back order with a month or two wait. I should probably just get a reference at this rate.

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX SC+ ACX 2.0 was up for a few moments at amazon before it jumped back into scalper prices but Im not really interested in that particular cooler.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 1, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

When are we suppose to get non scalper non reference 980tis back in places like amazon? Most are in back order with a month or two wait. I should probably just get a reference at this rate.

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX SC+ ACX 2.0 was up for a few moments at amazon before it jumped back into scalper prices but Im not really interested in that particular cooler.
Availability has slowly been getting better. Check occasionally and you'll get your card. The MSI is in stock at newegg right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889&cm_re=980ti-_-14-127-889-_-Product

Edit: Well, it was.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 1, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

Availability has slowly been getting better. Check occasionally and you'll get your card. The MSI is in stock at newegg right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889&cm_re=980ti-_-14-127-889-_-Product

Annnnd its gone!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I must have caught it right at the tail end. It was in stock when I first loaded it, I swear!

It was up for a good couple hours yesterday too.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a 680 and have been tempted to upgrade for Witcher 3. Can't find any benchmarks since this card is so old, and I really have no idea where it falls in line with the 9xx series. Anyone know how its performance compares, or a site with good benchmarks?

If I'm planning a big system refresh around skylake, is it better to buy something a little further down the totem pole if the next gen is going to be here soon?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Chuu posted:

I have a 680 and have been tempted to upgrade for Witcher 3. Can't find any benchmarks since this card is so old, and I really have no idea where it falls in line with the 9xx series. Anyone know how its performance compares, or a site with good benchmarks?
I think it's identical to a GTX 770, which you can usually still find in recent reviews.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think it's identical to a GTX 770, which you can usually still find in recent reviews.

With less vram.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

With less vram.
Reference design for the 770 was 2GB, just like the 680. It just had slightly higher stock speeds on the core and VRAM. Apparently some vendors started sticking 4GB on the 770 later, according to Newegg. But there were also some goofy non-reference 4GB 680s out there too.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 1, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This Witcher 3 benchmark has the 680 in comparison with other GPUs. It was done before the 980ti was a thing though.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the-witcher-3-benchmarks/page2.html

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Chuu posted:

If I'm planning a big system refresh around skylake, is it better to buy something a little further down the totem pole if the next gen is going to be here soon?
I'm in the same boat, honestly an overclocked GTX 680 is so fast that it would take a 980 Ti to be a compelling upgrade. I think waiting for the next generation is the smartest choice, a die shrink should give us the largest inter-generation gains we've seen in years. If you can score a good deal on a used GTX 980 that could be an option too, but that seems like a lot of money for a comparatively small performance delta. HI PARROT

Filthy Monkey posted:

This Witcher 3 benchmark has the 680 in comparison with other GPUs. It was done before the 980ti was a thing though.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the-witcher-3-benchmarks/page2.html
The Kepler cards seem to be performing way worse than expected here, I think due to the drivers they used?

Edit: Yep, the next version restored Kepler performance.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 1, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alereon posted:

I'm in the same boat, honestly an overclocked GTX 680 is so fast that it would take a 980 Ti to be a compelling upgrade. I think waiting for the next generation is the smartest choice, a die shrink should give us the largest inter-generation gains we've seen in years. If you can score a good deal on a used GTX 980 that could be an option too, but that seems like a lot of money for a comparatively small performance delta.
HI PARROT
Having actually gone GTX 680 -> GTX 980 -> GTX 980 Ti, yeah the jump from 680 to 980 Ti would have been a huuuuge direct jump. Honestly I should just sit them all out because I never have time to play games :v:

I'll just keep buying expensive video cards, not using them, then selling them to goons after they've depreciated significantly.

Alereon posted:

HI PARROT
'sup boo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'll just keep buying expensive video cards, not using them, then selling them to goons after they've depreciated significantly.

We can form a club, and have special jackets. :hf:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Honestly I should just sit them all out because I never have time to play games :v:
I usually justify under-used videocard upgrades with Folding@Home compute performance, but it's summer and somebody relocated Washington State to Arizona so that is right loving out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alereon posted:

I usually justify under-used videocard upgrades with Folding@Home compute performance, but it's summer and somebody relocated Washington State to Arizona so that is right loving out.

No, Arizona is dry.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Reference design for the 770 was 2GB, just like the 680. It just had slightly higher stock speeds on the core and VRAM. Apparently some vendors started sticking 4GB on the 770 later, according to Newegg. But there were also some goofy non-reference 4GB 680s out there too.

drat, you are right. Forgot the 770 was a 2gb card originally like the 680. Im amazed the 4gb 680's still command $200 on ebay.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies, wait it is. Especially since I'm kind of in the same boat as parrot -- now that I can actually afford these things I have no time for them.

About when is the next gen of nVidia cards expected?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Forgot the 770 was a 2gb card originally like the 680.
It was pretty much a rebadge, I think. I believe 680 owners were flashing their cards to 770s just for kicks. I don't think it really helped their overclocking or anything.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Chuu posted:

I think Pascal is still slated for 2016. We might see NVIDIA plug a few holes like between the 750 Ti and GTX 960 before the year is out, but I think their lineup is pretty much set for the year. All they need to do is dip prices whenever AMD takes a swing at them for the rest of 2015.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Chuu posted:

Thanks for the replies, wait it is. Especially since I'm kind of in the same boat as parrot -- now that I can actually afford these things I have no time for them.

Probably q1 2016 though its possible something could drop in 2015. Honestly with how bad amd is doing Nvidia could sit on the 9xx series till this time next year.

Subjunctive posted:

We can form a club, and have special jackets. :hf:

I bought 2 titan x's and the game i play most is quake live

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Oddly, I use the most GPU performance for MadVR video playback upsampling these days. I need a 980 Ti so I can turn up my scaling algorithms even more!

Also, I've been musing on how much of a mark of desperation it is for AMD that they rebadged Hawaii rather than just poo poo out a GCN 1.2 GPU with a narrower memory bus that would give them more margin. They must be running on empty in terms of engineering resources.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

I bought 2 titan x's and the game i play most is quake live

My 680 4GB absolutely kills at Hearthstone.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Alereon posted:

Oddly, I use the most GPU performance for MadVR video playback upsampling these days. I need a 980 Ti so I can turn up my scaling algorithms even more!

Also, I've been musing on how much of a mark of desperation it is for AMD that they rebadged Hawaii rather than just poo poo out a GCN 1.2 GPU with a narrower memory bus that would give them more margin. They must be running on empty in terms of engineering resources.

They're probably all on Zen and post die shrink GPUs. Makes sense honestly, coming out with a new arch and immediately having to die shrink it is expensive compared to good enoughing their way through this generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

xthetenth posted:

They're probably all on Zen and post die shrink GPUs. Makes sense honestly, coming out with a new arch and immediately having to die shrink it is expensive compared to good enoughing their way through this generation.
The thing is, they already have the architecture in Tonga (R9 285) and Fiji (Fury), so its more a matter of scaling existing designs than having to build and validate a new one. I think the downsides of Hawaii in terms of efficiency, positioning (8GB of RAM), and lack of pricing flexibility (512-bit memory bus and 8GB RAM) mean they would have ditched GCN 1.0 products if they could.