Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Where is iTunes 12.2: Electric Boogalo (aka the only time anyone has ever been excited about an itunes update)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Well, it looks like the full adoption of iTunes Match has finally hosed "recently added" playlists forever. Thanks, Apple!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Anyone getting a messed up miniplayer when listening to podcasts? It's fine with songs, but with podcasts if you hide the artwork, the buttons get cut off or something.

Pretty annoying since I mostly listen to podcasts in this mode on iTunes.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

The Modern Leper posted:

Well, it looks like the full adoption of iTunes Match has finally hosed "recently added" playlists forever. Thanks, Apple!

itunes match is nowhere to be found, it's now icloud music library!

I wonder if they're going to charge us for the storage once all the $25/year subs are ready to turn over?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

xarph posted:

I wonder if they're going to charge us for the storage once all the $25/year subs are ready to turn over?

They've said iTunes Match isn't going anywhere, and if it does get phased out it will probably be in favor of Apple Music being a replacement, as it does all the same stuff.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

xarph posted:

You're able to use either, depending on whether you're interested in the streaming service or not. They're not discontinuing Match per se. The problem is that iTunes Match couldn't support playlists that referred to other playlists or playlists that were filtered by "date added." With the Cloud system in place for Apple Music, I'm seeing the same limitations with my local libraries (the affected playlists show as empty).

There were complaints about it when iTunes Match launched. They didn't care about it then, and it seems they've double-downed on it now.

EDIT: loving lol! So it looks as though it didn't empty my "recently added" playlist - it deleted all the ratings of my recently added songs so they fell out of the playlist. You're doing a heckuva job, Apple.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 1, 2015

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Can I not stream my iPhone's music to my iTunes in Windows? Same Wi-Fi network, even hooked up to my computer. I wanna play around with iTunes Music, but since the 12.2 update isn't out on 64 bit Windows yet..

Also, what does hitting the heart button do on songs? Isn't there already a rating system AND an "Add to My Music" feature? What would the heart mean?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

89 posted:

Can I not stream my iPhone's music to my iTunes in Windows? Same Wi-Fi network, even hooked up to my computer. I wanna play around with iTunes Music, but since the 12.2 update isn't out on 64 bit Windows yet..

Also, what does hitting the heart button do on songs? Isn't there already a rating system AND an "Add to My Music" feature? What would the heart mean?
It just helps tune their recommendations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
In case it helps anybody, it looks as though Apple Music erased the ratings for all of the Purchase songs that were on my phone when I uploaded iOS. That's why it affected my "Recently Added" playlist in its entirety (I started using iTunes exclusively about a month ago). It doesn't appear that non-Purchased songs were affected, but that's a nice little landmine that may be waiting for me.

EDIT: The 64-bit iTunes update is out.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 1, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Any indication whether desktop iTunes wipes out your embedded cover art, like the new phone app?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Minidust posted:

Any indication whether desktop iTunes wipes out your embedded cover art, like the new phone app?
If you turn off iCloud Library it does not.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If you turn off iCloud Library it does not.
Yikes. Guess I'll be leaving that off then! Unfortunate, but I suppose the whole "music locker" concept doesn't matter as much when you're getting so much on-demand stuff anyway.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I was under the impression that buying something from the iTunes store would add it to my Apple Music library, where I could play it without downloading it permanently to my device. However, I just bought a Beatles album, which downloaded automatically, and deleting it removed it from my library. To make it stick without being downloaded to my device, do I have to download it in iTunes on the desktop so it can then upload it into my cloud storage or something weird like that?

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
So, I'm a musician and I store a ton of drafts in my iTunes library. These are most definitely not intended for public consumption. If I turn on Apple Music, do my songs get uploaded to the cloud and become searchable, and if so can I claw that back and revoke access?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Mandals posted:

So, I'm a musician and I store a ton of drafts in my iTunes library. These are most definitely not intended for public consumption. If I turn on Apple Music, do my songs get uploaded to the cloud and become searchable
No.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Heart attack averted.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Adding the ability for artists to selectively do that really should be Apple's next move, though. Good call.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The setup of my iTunes library is a bit irregular - I've got an old computer tucked away as a server of sorts, running iTunes with home sharing turned on. So when I uses iTunes on my main computer, I browse that shared library since nothing is stored on the local machine.

Just updated iTunes on the main computer. I didn't turn iCloud Library on. However, when I try to add any content to My Music, iCloud Library is automatically activated. So I guess it is impossible to use the on-demand stuff without having iCloud Library turned on. All or nothing.

I'd like to mix Apple Music content with my main server library, but I'm apprehensive about the cover art being overwritten. Guess I'll import some music locally and see how it behaves before I proceed, since none of my ripped music lives on this machine for real. It's a relative safe haven for experimentation.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

Adding the ability for artists to selectively do that really should be Apple's next move, though. Good call.
Do what?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Share music they've made

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Last Chance posted:

Share music they've made

Lol.

Taylor swift just uploading her new MP3 she made in her kitchen right?

That's not how this works.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Share music they've made

They can. Connect does this. Trent Reznor already put up two never before released instrumental versions of NIN albums using it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Well there you go

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Minidust posted:

I'd like to mix Apple Music content with my main server library, but I'm apprehensive about the cover art being overwritten. Guess I'll import some music locally and see how it behaves before I proceed, since none of my ripped music lives on this machine for real. It's a relative safe haven for experimentation.
It's late and I'm kinda dumb sometimes, but as a test couldn't you just set the music folder on your "server" to read-only? The actual library file is stored elsewhere, right?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, with this whole new Apple Music thing, why would a subscriber ever purchase a song from iTunes now?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

89 posted:

So, with this whole new Apple Music thing, why would a subscriber ever purchase a song from iTunes now?

If it lets me rate with five stars, if it recognizes the "date" songs are added to my library for playlist purposes, and if there's an elegant solution for last.fm - I may not. Having said that, when I heard a song I liked on Beats 1, I went to the music store and not Apple Music. I'm fine paying $10 if it guarantees I don't buy a bad song/album, but I will probably buy songs until they mothball the store in a few years.

Edit: You have to have to add your personal library to the cloud before you can add songs from Apple Music to your library (at least on the desktop). That's a nope for me.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 1, 2015

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Can someone please explain the difference between iTunes Match and the new iCloud Music Library that you get through Apple Music?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

89 posted:

Personally, I listen to a lot of my music when I'm travelling, which usually means I have no signal and I'd prefer to have the actual file.

That said, I find I'm getting a lot more of my music from Bandcamp recently. And if iTunes' performance at setting up my 'personalised profile' or whatever when I started my free trial is anything to go by, I really doubt it's going to be able to replace Spotify for at-home streaming.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Gunder posted:

Can someone please explain the difference between iTunes Match and the new iCloud Music Library that you get through Apple Music?

It's mostly a question of whether you only want a portable version of your library (Match) or full access to an on-demand streaming library. Unlike Match, though all songs downloaded from Cloud Library are protected by DRM - even songs that have been matched from your library.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
iTunes Match also matches with the entire iTunes library (43 million songs) while Apple Music will only "match" songs available for streaming (30 million). Or so I've read. So potentially with Match you'd have to upload less.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

TACD posted:

Personally, I listen to a lot of my music when I'm travelling, which usually means I have no signal and I'd prefer to have the actual file.
You can make any song available offline though, wouldn't that work just as well?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I right clicked an mp3 I downloaded from bandcamp and clicked "remove download" and now the song is blanked out and the local file is no longer on my hard drive.

Does anyone know where it would be, or is it lost forever? This sucks because there wasn't a prompt saying "are you sure" and its not on apple music so I can't grab it that way.

EDIT: it's not in the recycling, either.

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006
Is anybody else having issues with Podcasts being cutoff when playing in the MiniPlayer? I submitted a ticket for it, but was wondering if anybody else is seeing the issue as well. Tested it on both Windows 8.1 and OS X 10.10. This is what I'm seeing - http://i.imgur.com/PB994JZ.png

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I did a little test. With no local music on my machine, I turned on iCloud Music library. This populated "My Music" with music that was matched (not uploaded) from my iPhone.

It looks like the metadata for these tracks have been copied directly from the files my phone (including the botched album art assigned by Apple Music yesterday), whereas the actual audio is pulled from Apple Music. So while the metadata gives me an exact match to whatever was originally synced to my phone (primarily ripped from CDs and tagged manaually), the audio itself uses the iTunes Match technique and can vary wildly depending on what is available on Apple Music.

Not entirely new information, but I found it interesting that your metadata stays intact.

Next thing I did was to manually import an album to my local library that already had some matched cloud content. I had a few tracks from Rage Against The Machine's first album, originally synced from my rip of the 1992 CD release, but now displaying the 2012 "XX" edition cover art that Apple Music assigned to my iPhone. When I added my own ripped files to the local library, the tracks briefly coexisted with the matched cloud tracks (it displayed as a single album with a few duplicate songs). But within a few minutes, the duplicate cloud tracks disappeared on their own - and the album displayed my 1992 cover art!

So I hope this means that embedded art in local music will take priority in desktop iTunes, which is different from the terrible behavior in the iPhone music app. I restarted iTunes, turned iCloud Music Library off and on again, and my original cover art is still there, sitting happily among a bunch of new Apple Music albums ready to stream.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love the curated lists and it's sorta frightening how well the Apple Music - Metal guys know me :)

I see ways to love songs (which I assume) tells Apple you want more like this, but no way to say "Don't ever play this crap again, I despise it!" like there was on Apple Radio. Anyone know, or is this one of those "suggest to Apple" moments?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

The Drifter posted:

Is anybody else having issues with Podcasts being cutoff when playing in the MiniPlayer? I submitted a ticket for it, but was wondering if anybody else is seeing the issue as well. Tested it on both Windows 8.1 and OS X 10.10. This is what I'm seeing - http://i.imgur.com/PB994JZ.png

Yep, happening to me too. I posted about it on this very page.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SLOSifl posted:

You can make any song available offline though, wouldn't that work just as well?
Hm, maybe. I've only just started playing around with this TBH. I am still deeply suspicious of anything cloud-based that Apple does, but I'll try it out over the summer and see how I get on.

I have a question: Why has the 'iCloud Status' of some of my previously-owned tracks now changed to 'Apple Music'? Is this a straight upgrade from 'Matched' (i.e. matched but now also available on Apple Music) or is it a glitch, or something else?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
All my songs that had status "Matched" on Monday are still showing as "Matched".

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Does iTunes automatically make a playlist of songs you 'heart' anywhere?

I'm liking all of this new stuff...and then I synced with my computer that has 100+GBs of music I haven't organized in 6-7 years because I swapped to Spotify...

Thinking sometimes to build up...you gotta tear it all down..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Am I right in thinking that there is no way to control what music get synced across to your mobile device from the desktop version of iTunes When using the new iCloud Music Library? In the past I used to achieve this by having a playlist named iPhone which I would add and subtract music to and from accordingly. After signing up to Apple music however, and enabling iCloud music library on both my mobile devices and my desktop version of iTunes, I've found that this method no longer works. Instead it seems that you have to add music to your mobile devices from the mobile device itself song by song, album by album. This method is very slow and I would prefer to be able to use the old playlist method. Has anyone found a way to do this?