Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jintor
May 19, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

What the gently caress did they do to ranked? Almost all the matches I payed after the patch have had horribly lopsided teams. People with 2 rank gaps were regularly getting paired in my games, sometimes even higher. It got quite ridiculous at times. Like, what the gently caress do you expect to happen when you pair every B/B- in the lobby against the team composed entirely of C/C- players? Its stupid.

I don't know if it's true for ranked, but I'm fairly certain matchmaking focuses primarily on accumulated k/d ratios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BattleMaster posted:

I thought the game concept didn't sound like it would work so I ignored it until I saw him stream the test fire. I preordered it as soon as he was done.

EVERY SPLET BRINGS ME ONE STEP CLOSER TO GOD

I've taken to calling it Splet too. He's a terriblegreat influence. But so bad at the single player.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

You're a kid you're a bird you're a kid you're a bird.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
please dont post you're urination fetish fanart

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

"how come i can't choose my own color ink in splatoon"

"because every match would be yellow vs brown"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

haha gross

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ranked is so boring. You either completely stomp the enemy team or they completely stomp you. Either way, dull...

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Ranked is so boring. You either completely stomp the enemy team or they completely stomp you. Either way, dull...

How high rank are you? Once I got to the B's I found a whole lot more back and forth going to overtime.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I've had several ranked battles that went back and forth. And some instances where one team comes back and takes it at the last second.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I suck at Ranked

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It gets better once you start getting into the higher ranks. I'm still only C+ and I've had more than a few matches that went 0-30 or closer. Hell, my team was being dominated in my last match, went 88-40 and managed to turn it around and win.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

LOL if you've never pulled a game out of overtime it's the smuggest feeling.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Every ranked match tonight I'd check the map and see one or two teammates consistently huddled around our spawn for no reason. Level twenty Japanese players who presumably have had this for a while. I'm not sure if it's some kind of new gimmick.

Anyhow back to B- I guess.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

This has been my entire night of ranked battles. Losing because of my teammates.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

This has been my entire night of ranked battles. Losing because of my teammates.

Aerosprays in ranked... ouch. Range is so important in ranked it hurts.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So how the hell do blaster work exactly? I've somehow missed people at point blank range only to be killed because they shot vaguely in my general direction.

Also, I will never get past B- apparently. Every time I get close either I get a team where one person just fucks off in a corner doing god knows what or I'm about to win a match when suddenly, "oops your connection lol" error and instead I lose 10 points for no reason other than Nintendo's netcode blows.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This is the Splatoon band, apparently. Squid Squad!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do I really have to give back my cat shirt when splatfest is over?

Cause I don't wanna. :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cless Alvein posted:

So how the hell do blaster work exactly? I've somehow missed people at point blank range only to be killed because they shot vaguely in my general direction.

You dont want them point-blank, you want them right where the blast actually pops a few meters away.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Lemming posted:

Looks like you won't be able to choose what game mode you're playing in ranked, it'll be on a rotation like the maps are. Good.

What do you mean good, this is dumb as poo poo. Not letting the player decide which game mode they're going to play, really?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alteisen posted:

Do I really have to give back my cat shirt when splatfest is over?

Cause I don't wanna. :argh:

I'm guessing it's taken back because it has different textures depending on the splatfest going on or something. I see a lot of UK players with the gray one in the icon instead due to it being different there.

Also has anyone seen any dog shirts in the wild? I'm team cat but the fact I haven't seen any teal shirts at all is really bizarre.

Suaimhneas posted:

What do you mean good, this is dumb as poo poo. Not letting the player decide which game mode they're going to play, really?

I'd be cool with it if there was a different letter grade for that mode. It's really REALLY stupid that control points and payload are being treated as the same category

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 1, 2015

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I wouldn't mind Ranked rotating game modes if you could still play whatever you wanted in Casual. I have to assume this is all based off some weird fear of Nintendo's that their playerbase isn't big enough to support it?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Probably. I wager they took notes on how well Steel Diver: Sub Wars fared and took precautions how that will work.

But perhaps you're given the option to arrange your games more freely when the august update comes. At least, that's what I hope will happen.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

do you only get experience/coins if you win matches in this game or is it a "still get something if you lose though it is a pittance" kind of thing

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

MinibarMatchman posted:

do you only get experience/coins if you win matches in this game or is it a "still get something if you lose though it is a pittance" kind of thing

Turf wars it's pretty even (+300 win bonus, a decent player will get in the 700-1000 range every game). Ranked you get nothing if you're KO'd, a pittance if you lose when the clock runs down, but you get a lot more money from winning than turf wars.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

Turf wars it's pretty even (+300 win bonus, a decent player will get in the 700-1000 range every game). Ranked you get nothing if you're KO'd, a pittance if you lose when the clock runs down, but you get a lot more money from winning than turf wars.

alright sounds good. I have never given a poo poo about ranked in anything so sounds like I'll be good

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Suaimhneas posted:

They don't want to

~Split The Playerbase~

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The "August Update" will probably add something to select it

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

I feel like Splat Zones is too harsh with the point distribution. It would be nice if you got some amount of points for at least holding the Splatzone for a while. Seems unfair to walk away from a 0-100 match with the same reward as one that ended 0-14.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cat Machine posted:

I wouldn't mind Ranked rotating game modes if you could still play whatever you wanted in Casual. I have to assume this is all based off some weird fear of Nintendo's that their playerbase isn't big enough to support it?

I think they said they rotate everything as a way to force people to play with a wide variety of weapons.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Did they really nerf Ink Resistance Up? Those bastards :negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cless Alvein posted:

Also, I will never get past B- apparently. Every time I get close either I get a team where one person just fucks off in a corner doing god knows what or I'm about to win a match when suddenly, "oops your connection lol" error and instead I lose 10 points for no reason other than Nintendo's netcode blows.

Blaster is a fun weapon but hard to use effectively. High skill ceiling. You do more damage with the explosion than with the shot, so you have to time it.

The rapid blaster and the luna blaster are both vastly superior to the default blaster. Luna is closer range and rapid is faster shooting, both of which help make the blaster way more effective.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MinibarMatchman posted:

alright sounds good. I have never given a poo poo about ranked in anything so sounds like I'll be good

Don't give a poo poo because it's ranked, the rank does nothing except matchmaking and give you bonus monies. Give a poo poo because the actual play mode is different and fun

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did they really nerf Ink Resistance Up? Those bastards :negative:

I almost always use it, so I feel your pain, but it was really good before.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Yeah, Ink Resistance Up was hilariously overpowered, so I think it's an okay change.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Suaimhneas posted:

It's good for the same reason limiting what maps are available is good and why releasing a lot of the weapons slowly over time is good. By limiting access to what stuff is available, you spend more time trying out different stuff rather than sticking to the same weapons/maps/game modes all the time.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

After playing with the updated game, I feel pretty confident in saying that ninja squid is still the best shirt buff and ink resist is still the best shoe buff unless you're playing high-level ranked. Cold-blooded becomes important when facing .96 gal teams

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Now that the Update is instate I have gotten a lot more splats then usual. Or everyone is having a off day.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel like I'm dieing a lot more since the ink resist nerf. Keep getting shot then caught in ink from afar so getting away is simply not an option most of the time. Not really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

It's good for the same reason limiting what maps are available is good and why releasing a lot of the weapons slowly over time is good. By limiting access to what stuff is available, you spend more time trying out different stuff rather than sticking to the same weapons/maps/game modes all the time.

There's a lot I'll defend Nintendo on w/r/t how they roll out content in this game but not being able to play any mode other than turf war with your friends is Actually Completely Stupid

• Locked thread