Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

Quarex posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I think I turned my phone off every afternoon for that same reason. If only I were smart like Mudcrab Merchant and her Literally Endless Supply of Portable Chargers

You too could have the power of... power. http://amzn.com/B00BQ5KHJW I get 12 full charges on an iPhone 6 out of one charge of this battery pack. Has two ports, so share your power with a friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Quarex posted:

And I never deleted your post from last year :smug:

I feel like there is less chatter in there this year than last year, but do I REALLY know when people started talking all the time? No. I just feel like every time I would look at my phone during a break from training I would have to scroll for 5 minutes to get to the top of the conversation.

Realistically we tend to recognize each other based on the fact that we all already know each other.

Speaking of lying, feel free to fill in your false personal information in Nesbit37's bodacious Goon Spreadsheet if you have not noticed it the last few times it came up. I do not know how useful it is overall, but I remember at least two people actually got my number from there and texted me last year!!! Though obviously GroupMe is more useful for group discussions.

Thanks, will do. I look forward to meeting my fellow Goons in between what is turning out to be a buddy comedy road trip with me and my boss.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Can anyone local to Indy recommend and popular hobby stores in the area? Ideally ones that actually sell a full selection of board games, and not just Magic or something.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Merauder posted:

Can anyone local to Indy recommend and popular hobby stores in the area? Ideally ones that actually sell a full selection of board games, and not just Magic or something.

The one I'm familiar with is The Games Preserve

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Merauder posted:

Game Preserve, Saltier Games, Hero's Emporium to name a few.

TheScaryDoor
Feb 29, 2008

It's the one key I do not have...
Just promoting a larp event that I'll be helping run at GenCon

Here At The End - Combat Arena
Post Apocalyptic laser tag!

Choose one of the four factions and battle for honor, glory, and resources.
Prove you have what it takes to survive! One faction will be declared Overall Gen Con Champion!

Here At The End (H.A.T.E.) Combat Event will be running hour-long events/scenarios all 4 days.

Plus, we'll be handing out Free Faction Buttons with your H.A.T.E. Combat Event Ticket.
(offer won't be honored for generic tickets)

Feel free to just stop by, make fun or ask any questions/clarification you may need.

TheScaryDoor fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 25, 2015

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

TheScaryDoor posted:

Just promoting a larp event that I'll be helping to run at GenCon

Here At The End - Combat Area
Post Apocalyptic laser tag!

Choose one of the four factions and battle for honor, glory, and resources.
Prove you have what it takes to survive! One faction will be declared Overall Gen Con Champion!

Here At The End (H.A.T.E.) Combat Event will be running hour-long events/scenarios all 4 days.

Plus, we'll be handing out Free Faction Buttons with your H.A.T.E. Combat Event Ticket.
(offer won't be honored for generic tickets)

Feel free to just stop by, make fun or ask any questions/clarification you may need.

Didn't know anyone else from the forums was helping out at HATE. While I can't make Gencon, I'll be contributing a good amount of props for the game itself. Plus, who doesn't appreciate post-apocalyptic games with an in-game radio station broadcast over the field?

Good luck at Gencon. I think about 300 of the tickets have been sold so far, at least according to the last numbers I saw.

TheScaryDoor
Feb 29, 2008

Hedningen posted:

Didn't know anyone else from the forums was helping out at HATE.
Me either, but we're all over the drat place gnawing on the wood work.
Gonna go out on a limb here and guess... Og? That you?

Hedningen posted:

Who doesn't appreciate post-apocalyptic games with an in-game radio station broadcast over the field?
Or having arguments over whether or not Mad Max is just pre-war entertainment or historical fact.

Hedningen posted:

I think about 300 of the tickets have been sold so far, at least according to the last numbers I saw.
About 40% Sounds rights
I'll leave this link here too, in case anyone wanted a quick event check-in/update.
http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2015.cgi/event/LRP1569975

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

TheScaryDoor posted:

Me either, but we're all over the drat place gnawing on the wood work.
Gonna go out on a limb here and guess... Og? That you?

Got it in one. Although it should be "Ög" - the umlauts are important. Reborn are best faction, after all, and you can't go forgetting umlauts. Who's this?

For those who are on the fence: HATE is pretty great. Short rules, uses latex weapons and laser tag guns, and there are four factions: Old Guard (military, inspired by Fallout and other post-apocalyptic militaries), Elysians (nature hippies or fantasy-tinged post-apocalypse stuff), Edwardians (steampunk, but without the superfluous gear schtick), and Reborn (mutants, also the best). While Gencon is more of a "Try out the combat!" event, it captures the feel of things, and can be a total blast.

Either way, it's a good game if you wanna shoot laser guns at people. I think the latex weapons are showing up as well, but I'm not sure; haven't been keeping up. They're a great crew. Gonna stop shilling now; I just wanted to keep things on topic.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Merauder posted:

The Game Preserve is nice, they have location both North and South of the city depending on where you're staying. I'm out East, so Saltire Games is closer for me. Hero's Emporium is spacious and the people running it are nice, but compared to the others they have a limited selection of board games, and seem to be more card game oriented.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
A quick question for auction folks... for things like RPG licensed novels, is it generally better to put them in the store? I had a lot of success selling RPG books in the auction a few years ago, but not much with the novels. (Or maybe even at GenCon, people aren't that into RPG novels..)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Are they out of print, worth a bunch or rare? If not then I would throw them in the store. If someone can easily grab them from ebay or amazon for a couple bucks then they probably won't bother at the auction and then have to haul them home and spend their budget. Also, there isn't a "novels and reading fiction" section so chances of having someone in the room with a bidding card when they come up that would be interested is fairly small.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Mostly out of print White Wolf stuff - Dark Age Clan Novels, a few Werewolf tribe novels, and so on. I did a quick check online on Amazon and eBay and some of the prices are ... optimistic to say the least. Since I'm not really interested in trying to get $35 for a single paperback (no one's going to bite on that anyways) plus the reasons you mentioned, I think the store is indeed the way to go. Thanks!

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I'm a sucker for laser tag-based LARPs, so I'll probably check out HATE at some point. (I'm also staying in the Hyatt and don't have anything on my calendar for Friday, so there's that.)

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Crackbone posted:

Hanabi
Forbidden Island (with bonus deck of extra island layouts and roles printed at Artscow)
Ticket to Ride map packs

I'd be interested in these, depending on what you're looking to get for them. Hit me up on PM and we can chat.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
So my job situation just changed and I can't go to GenCon this year. I see that it's a couple weeks past the refund date. Is there anything I can do to unload a couple of tickets?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Did you get them shipped or will call?

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Will call.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, it looks like I'm in the market for a goon to host me. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to pull the time for Gen Con, but since it's confirmed I can, I'm looking to see if anybody else has a room / home / sidewalk tent for me to park myself in nightly. I'd appreciate it, and in the case of hotels and their ilk, I'd be willing to help provide my share of the cost. I stayed with Camoseven last year, who could attest that I am, in fact, somebody who showers and brushes my teeth, that I will not tell you about my character unless asked, and that I never use the term "Social Justice Warrior" except in jest. (He isn't hosting this year, for the record.)

Sionak posted:

A quick question for auction folks... for things like RPG licensed novels, is it generally better to put them in the store? I had a lot of success selling RPG books in the auction a few years ago, but not much with the novels. (Or maybe even at GenCon, people aren't that into RPG novels..)
I'd put them in the store. Generally I wouldn't put anything on the auction block unless I think it'll be breaking $30 or unless it's a complete set of a book series. A good way to price is to look at eBay and specifically only look at sold listings - that may give you some idea of what they're selling for, though it gets dicier if there are only one or two examples. Looking at Amazon or Noble Knight can also help give you an idea what other people are charging for the same book, which is best if you have something that genuinely seems rare or hard to find, but checking actual sales on eBay is the cold splash of water to wash those dollar signs out of your eyes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Get in line buddy! I'm still looking for a room partner/floor/balcony as well. I'm bringing my hammock and camping pad so I can crash comfortably anywhere.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We may tentatively have room for people. I'll talk to the people going tomorrow but we've got a suite because we were originally expecting 7-8 people but now the number is 5. If the room were in my name I'd be okay with it because the room would be cheaper for sure. But since it isn't (right now) I'll have to talk to the guy in charge.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone that has a spot feel free to email me at defeldus@gmail.com and just tell me how much. I can paypal to reserve a spot or just bring you cash for beer money.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Len posted:

We may tentatively have room for people. I'll talk to the people going tomorrow but we've got a suite because we were originally expecting 7-8 people but now the number is 5. If the room were in my name I'd be okay with it because the room would be cheaper for sure. But since it isn't (right now) I'll have to talk to the guy in charge.

I'd appreciate it, just keep us up to date.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alright talked to the guys going. They're perfectly okay with you two rooming with us. Shoot me an email at jzurcher89 at gmail and I'll give you more info.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sweet, emailed you back and look forward to meeting you dudes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We're a good batch. The heavy drinkers won't be there right away this year but we shower and take care of ourselves. If you play Magic we all have commander decks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alright my goon room slots are full. Don't forget to bring your waifus guys!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There's finally been some movement on our submitted Spirit of 77 events.

They're now "Accepted for Consideration"

Anybody have an idea how much longer it's going to take before they're actually on the schedule?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Bucnasti posted:

There's finally been some movement on our submitted Spirit of 77 events.

They're now "Accepted for Consideration"

Anybody have an idea how much longer it's going to take before they're actually on the schedule?

It should be some time before the con, but this late in the process it might not get a final approval until the week before.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I posted this more or less on the google doc, but if any of the board gaming goons want to play any of the longer games, I have a few in mind that I could bring. My packing space is limited so knowing if people want to try something before the Monday/Tuesday of would save me some grief. My collection is here.

Stuff I have in mind is some Splotter games (Roads & Boats, Antiquity, Indonesia), High Frontier, DIe Macher, or whatever people want to try.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Thanks to the goon who pointed out the Delta Green games. Managed to snag spots for my fiancee and I before anyone noticed!

TheScaryDoor
Feb 29, 2008

Hedningen posted:

Who's this?
Spit, here.

CellBlock posted:

I'm a sucker for laser tag-based LARPs, so I'll probably check out HATE at some point. (I'm also staying in the Hyatt and don't have anything on my calendar for Friday, so there's that.)
Sweeeeet! If anyone else I haven't met yet is gonna check us out at GenCon I'll be the one rocking a pompadour mow-hawk and lipstick.

TheScaryDoor fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 6, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
My publisher submitted some stuff for the Ennies this year, and my adventure was put on the ballot! I'm pretty sure I have basically no chance at winning, but it's still pretty cool to be nominated.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Why is MILKTOOTH not mentioned in any of the food options! The head chef is a James Beard award winner who focuses on breakfast/brunch. Holy poo poo you should eat there dumbass!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Probably because if I did not recognize you from previous threads I would assume you were making this entire thing up.

GOOGIN', PLEASE HOLD

Whoa, this sounds amazing

"Food. Booze. Coffee." Thanks to me only understanding primacy and recency, it is nothing but things I want!!!

Wait but

uhh

Google Maps, when I type Gen-Con I want you to take me to the Indianapolis Convention Center

Oh dang, only a mile away, too. Guaranteeing it is far enough to keep the Fathorde at bay but not so far that my Still Kinda Fathorde could not make it there. Intriguing. Though if I were being honest I would say I have an ingrained bias against breakfast/lunch/brunch places in my list just because I always stay at hotels with free breakfast and intentionally stuff myself silly so I can skip lunch for more conventioning.

Oh and also, hello, this just opened in January, you Indianapolis Locals forget that we only have knowledge of Things That Existed Last Year for our purposes. That reminds me...I am also going to add the new place BACON LEGS & TURNTABLES for obvious reasons.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
First time at GenCon and I've completely ignored it so far other than getting a badge on a whim a couple months ago and a con-block hotel room so far away they don't even run a shuttle to it.

Is there much in the way of just pickup board/non-collectable card game play going on? Trying to figure out what events to prebook now that I'm way late at looking at events. I'm used to gaming rooms at the small cons I've been to where it's a number of games there plus what people bring and tables to sit and play at which seems a tad bit less structured than this.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
There's a "free play" area where you can just check out board games and play to your heart's content. Grab generic tickets and show up at events that sound interesting; chances are, you'll still get to play.

By the bye, the goon who ran the awesome Dungeon World game last year - are you doing that again this year? I'm gonna crash with a generic since I'm sure it's all full by now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Milktooth sounds good but I dunno if I'll be assed to walk that far first thing in the morning.

We used http://indyallnightdelivery.com/ last year to get away from pizza every night and it's food was pretty drat good. I don't really remember how much it cost because I spent most of Gencon after mid-Friday drinking away family issues. But I and the sober people I was with all remember it being good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fordan posted:

First time at GenCon and I've completely ignored it so far other than getting a badge on a whim a couple months ago and a con-block hotel room so far away they don't even run a shuttle to it.

Is there much in the way of just pickup board/non-collectable card game play going on? Trying to figure out what events to prebook now that I'm way late at looking at events. I'm used to gaming rooms at the small cons I've been to where it's a number of games there plus what people bring and tables to sit and play at which seems a tad bit less structured than this.

There's a group me thing people run where anyone who wants to play games or meet up just posts "hey let's play [thing]" and generally people will be down. The free play area is a good bet too, people put up little flags by their table for stuff like players/teachers needed, just keep an eye out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I bought that portable battery that was mentioned in the thread so hopefully I'll be on the group me this year. The girlfriend and I are both suffering from a case of the poor so can be bodies for any game that needs people.

Who all got into that NSDM on Thursday? And what should we do that's less awful than the "Do you have stairs?" to identify each other for maximum COLLUSION purposes?

Just 16 more work days. I'm excited.

• Locked thread