Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The 580/600 cable's better than the 590's by far. I had to replace the original cable a year or two after I bought it, then the 2.5mm stereo jack died, so I soldered the cable direct and epoxied the old jack hole that the cable runs through now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When the stock cable on my old 580s died, I got the 650 replacement because it was cheaper. The right move, IMO.

These days, I have actual 650s.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I currently have Sennheiser HD558s and I love using them whenever I'm at home. There are times when listening to certain types of music (EDM, Hip Hop) where I wished the HD558s provided more bass.

I'm looking for a more of a v - shaped "bass" pair of headphones to compliment my HD558s. I prefer a closed pair since I already have an open set for home. I was looking at the ATH-M50x, but are those really considered fun "v-shaped" headphones? People refer to them as monitor headphones. I don't want to spend more then $150 on a pair. The lower the better of course but I don't mind spending a little more for clearer sound + a better sound stage.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 1, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Budget - Say up to $150 but happier if a bit under. An extra $10 on top is no big deal.

Source - iPhone via Bluetooth.

Isolation Requirements - A degree would be nice, I rode/flew for about 18 hours on a pair of lower end Sony overears last week and all I could hear was engine noise for about 15 hours and it drove me nuts. The headphones admittedly seem designed for home listening (hence 20ft cable)

Preferred Type of Headphone - Preferably over ear for comfort

Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to lots of electronic music so bass is nice to have.

Past Headphones - I had Klipsch S4is that I loved. Then I woke up after a heavy night out and only had the left earphone. I can't remember any specific models I've had since, usually spend about $50 so the inevitable break/loss isn't a heartache.

Preferred Music - Drum n bass, trap, hip hop, punk, hardcore. Wide range of modern music.

I'm sick of breaking cables or catching them in door handles. I walk everywhere I need to go, and fly every few months.

I'm in the USA until 11th July and am happy to deliver here. Am in the Keys right now but heading up Miami way tomorrow for a few hours so could stop at a big box store if there's a good deal to be had from Best Buy or something. Thanks! (I really don't want to fly home with engine drone in my ears again)

E: looking at the Sony MDR-10RBT, seem well liked for the price but I'm not having much luck finding them for the around $130 cnets review said I should be able to find online. Amazon is $200. Home is £150 which isn't far off that but I'd rather have them for flight back if poss.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 1, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've got an Xbox 360 running optical to a Yamaha RX-V375 receiver. I need to start wearing headphones when I play games because my girlfriend is studying/working at home all the time.

I've got a set of ATH-M50X headphones. Can I just get a long (probably about 15 feet...) 3.5mm cable with 1/4" plug and plug it into the receiver? I've never plugged a headphone into anything other than an MP3 player so sorry for the Dumb

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rabid Snake posted:

I currently have Sennheiser HD558s and I love using them whenever I'm at home. There are times when listening to certain types of music (EDM, Hip Hop) where I wished the HD558s provided more bass.

I'm looking for a more of a v - shaped "bass" pair of headphones to compliment my HD558s. I prefer a closed pair since I already have an open set for home. I was looking at the ATH-M50x, but are those really considered fun "v-shaped" headphones? People refer to them as monitor headphones. I don't want to spend more then $150 on a pair. The lower the better of course but I don't mind spending a little more for clearer sound + a better sound stage.

I have tried out in a store the M50X and they are uncomfortable to wear even for short periods, the overall sound was like went through layers of mud and the soundstage is virtually non-existent. Overhyped to hell and back. I rather much get the A900X for the same money on Ebay.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
How do you people destroy the cables on a home-use headphones? I mean I understand it for portables or IEMs (and have gone through many pairs myself), but I've had my pair of HD600s for about a decade now, and the stock cables are still in excellent shape despite having replaced all of the wear-and-tear parts (headband padding, ear cups, and foam inserts). None of the other headphones I've owned have had cable issues either, though none of them I've kept nearly as long as the HD600s.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 2, 2015

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.
Budget - $50, maybe a little more if it makes a big difference.
Source -Phone
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM, preferably on the small side
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Sony MDREX58V.
Preferred Music - Everything.

I was mostly ok with the Sony MDREX58V headphones, a little lacking in bass but they were good enough for me. They've almost doubled in price since I bought mine though, and I'm not sure if they're worth it anymore. Are the budget sets in the OP still the way to go or is there something better now?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Terraplane posted:

Budget - $50, maybe a little more if it makes a big difference.
Source -Phone
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM, preferably on the small side
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Sony MDREX58V.
Preferred Music - Everything.

I was mostly ok with the Sony MDREX58V headphones, a little lacking in bass but they were good enough for me. They've almost doubled in price since I bought mine though, and I'm not sure if they're worth it anymore. Are the budget sets in the OP still the way to go or is there something better now?

The AKG 323XS and the Nocs NS400 both fit your requirements. Sound good, tiny and within budget. The Nocs come in both aluminum and titanium and there's at least one color of the titanium version on Amazon for $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Nocs-NS400-00...+ns400+titanium

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Budget - Say up to $150 but happier if a bit under. An extra $10 on top is no big deal.

Source - iPhone via Bluetooth.

Isolation Requirements - A degree would be nice, I rode/flew for about 18 hours on a pair of lower end Sony overears last week and all I could hear was engine noise for about 15 hours and it drove me nuts. The headphones admittedly seem designed for home listening (hence 20ft cable)

Preferred Type of Headphone - Preferably over ear for comfort

Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to lots of electronic music so bass is nice to have.

Past Headphones - I had Klipsch S4is that I loved. Then I woke up after a heavy night out and only had the left earphone. I can't remember any specific models I've had since, usually spend about $50 so the inevitable break/loss isn't a heartache.

Preferred Music - Drum n bass, trap, hip hop, punk, hardcore. Wide range of modern music.

I'm sick of breaking cables or catching them in door handles. I walk everywhere I need to go, and fly every few months.

I'm in the USA until 11th July and am happy to deliver here. Am in the Keys right now but heading up Miami way tomorrow for a few hours so could stop at a big box store if there's a good deal to be had from Best Buy or something. Thanks! (I really don't want to fly home with engine drone in my ears again)

E: looking at the Sony MDR-10RBT, seem well liked for the price but I'm not having much luck finding them for the around $130 cnets review said I should be able to find online. Amazon is $200. Home is £150 which isn't far off that but I'd rather have them for flight back if poss.

I got MDR-ZX770BNs at Costco for like $150 and they're pretty good. They are Bluetooth and they have noise canceling.

My biggest complaint is sweaty ears but I guess that's the tradeoff for the isolation.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 3, 2015

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Palladium posted:

I have tried out in a store the M50X and they are uncomfortable to wear even for short periods, the overall sound was like went through layers of mud and the soundstage is virtually non-existent. Overhyped to hell and back. I rather much get the A900X for the same money on Ebay.

I'll look at other pairs. Soundstage is important for me. Thanks for the heads up

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I got MDR-ZX770BNs at Costco for like $150 and they're pretty good. They are Bluetooth and they have noise canceling.

My biggest complaint is sweaty ears but I guess that's the tradeoff for the isolation.

I came real close to getting a pair of these, then spotted the refurb versions of a similar model for about half the price and took a shot at those. At worst I can sell on to a friend

Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth Headset (Black) (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UC9QKQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_sBYLvbKQ8BB7X

Thanks though!

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I came real close to getting a pair of these, then spotted the refurb versions of a similar model for about half the price and took a shot at those. At worst I can sell on to a friend

Sony MDRXB950BT/B Extra Bass Bluetooth Headset (Black) (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UC9QKQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_sBYLvbKQ8BB7X

Thanks though!

Nah, whatever works. I was a little frustrated because I asked about Bluetooth headphones in this thread a while ago and the only responses I got were like "Oh you shouldn't want Bluetooth" so I wanted to be helpful. lol.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Waiting for someone i know to buy the Aiaiai TMA-2's so i can suss them.
I just ordered some through Aiaiai's 30% off for TMA-1 owners offer, so if you'd like the input I could post about them when they arrive. Hopefully the offer's still up by then. I got the S03 drivers with the E02 earpads. For reference I've owned Sennheiser HD485s, ATH-TAD500s, and currently own Alessandro MS-1s and TMA-1s.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds great blud, i'd be pretty interested in how that config sounds. To be honest they have lost my confidence because of the shithouse headband on the 1's.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
That's fair - I never had a problem with my TMA-1 headband, but mine came from the very last batch before they switched over to the locking cable, and seeing as there were some earcup sealing problems in the first few batches I wouldn't be surprised.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Nah, whatever works. I was a little frustrated because I asked about Bluetooth headphones in this thread a while ago and the only responses I got were like "Oh you shouldn't want Bluetooth" so I wanted to be helpful. lol.

Yeah they have a bad rep, but from what I've seen most most BT headphones have an identical wired version for less money, and when you wire up you get the identical frequency range. Hell I convert to 128kbit AAC for my iPhone sync anyway so I doubt I'd hear much if any difference.

If it's $100 difference between wired and BT, I'll happily pay it for the amount of times I'm in a 'goddamn this cable is beyond an annoyance' situation, especially when the headphones I'm wearing have a ridiculous fixed cable length.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Alright, my right speaker is going out. My preferences in order are

Comfort (circumaural required)
Noise Isolation
Sound quality
<=$100
Amazon Prime

Make my decision please

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Any recommendations on a wireless microphone/headset? PC gaming. Not trying to get the game sounds through it, only voice chat.

Basically, this is my Ark setup:

- Big rear end HDTV in my living room used as a monitor via long rear end HDMI cable coming from my computer
- Surround Sound Setup
- Xbox 360 controller
- Xbox 360 headset
- Wireless keyboard

Everybody loved my 360 headset so much (not) so I need a working one. Don't like the headphones that take up all of your ears as I only need this for voice chat. That's where I'm having problems. Buuut, I need a wireless one. Also, maybe $50 or less..

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I need to replace the pads and headband on my I dunno 8-10 year old Beyerdynamic DT880s. The filling in the pads seems to have totally fuckin disappeared, which is pretty reasonable after that long. Any suggestions on nice replacements?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
You can order replacement earpads directly from Beyer. As far as headband goes, the DT880 Pro has snap-on padding, whereas the 880 Premium doesn't. For the former you can get replacements easily, for the latter apparently people have found that you can cut into the stock headband and use the DT880 Pro type instead.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

GokieKS posted:

You can order replacement earpads directly from Beyer. As far as headband goes, the DT880 Pro has snap-on padding, whereas the 880 Premium doesn't. For the former you can get replacements easily, for the latter apparently people have found that you can cut into the stock headband and use the DT880 Pro type instead.

Appreciate it. I honestly had no idea there were two versions of the DT880s, been so drat long since I bought the things and they just keep on truckin.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm thinking about getting some new headphones

Budget - £100 to £150 maybe a little bit more.

Source - iPod, hoping to upgrade to an iPhone soon, Bluetooth would be nice but not required

Isolation Requirements: Pretty minimal, I'll be using them at home.

Preferred Type of Headphone: on or over ear.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to a lot of stuff from metal to chiptune to stand up comedy. I suppose clear vocals, not too much bass. I guess that doesn't help an awful lot.

Past Headphones: My current pair of big headphones are Wesc on ear Chambers by RZA (yeah I know) which were good in the store but the pad on the over head strap has come off and the pads aren't very padded. I also have a pair of Bluez 2 by AfterShokz Bluetooth bone conductive headphones which are nice when I'm out but due to them going behind my head rather than over they're not great for laying around the house with. Prior to those I had a pair of Bose on ear headphones that were really nice but they've definitely been surpassed in terms of sound. I've also had in ears from Sennheiser and Marley.

Preferred Music: I listen to most things, mainly rock, metal and punk, along with Hip Hop and Rap not so much electronica , though I do like me some chiptune.

Some "would be nice" stuff: Thread covered wire, if Bluetooth then I'd prefer an inbuilt battery to having to provide my own batteries. Kinda silly but I'd prefer the outside to not just be a generic black.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 15, 2015

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Sort of a repost but its time to step up the pistons

Budget - Up to $130, debateable if worth the increase?
Source - PC, phone, ipod, PSP
Isolation Requirements - Some would be good, but its not a major breaker
Preferred Type of Headphone - iem
Preferred Tonal Balance - I have no idea, I love a lot of electroinc music, but I dont listen to dubstep, but love all trance, drum and bass, video game music, etc?
Past Headphones - brainwavz 3 I think pistons 2 and 3, plantronics 780, other random garbage wal-mart earbuds
Preferred Music - trance, house, lots of vgm, some metal is good. dislike dubstep or any other things that are close to it

grack
Jan 10, 2012

stringball posted:

Sort of a repost but its time to step up the pistons

Budget - Up to $130, debateable if worth the increase?
Source - PC, phone, ipod, PSP
Isolation Requirements - Some would be good, but its not a major breaker
Preferred Tonal Balance - I have no idea, I love a lot of electroinc music, but I dont listen to dubstep, but love all trance, drum and bass, video game music, etc?
Past Headphones - brainwavz 3 I think pistons 2 and 3, plantronics 780, other random garbage wal-mart earbuds
Preferred Music - trance, house, lots of vgm, some metal is good. dislike dubstep or any other things that are close to it

Something like the RHA MA750 would be right up your alley. I also like the OM Audio Inearpeace but the fit can be annoying because they're on the large side.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm looking for a pair of durable IEMs I can jam in my pocket and not worry about them breaking. Good isolation is important since I'm using these for my commute. I'm a fan of the comply foam tips so something compatible with those might be an option.

Budget - max of ~$150 but negotiable
Source - iphone so mic and buttons are a plus
Isolation Requirements - good to great
Past Headphones - sennheiser hd598, steelseries flux iems that have started to fail, a cheap pair of jvc something with comply tips
Preferred Music - podcasts, pop, classical.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 18, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You can have the best built IEMs in the world and you'll break them by shoving them in your pockets. Just get a damned case.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

grack posted:

Something like the RHA MA750 would be right up your alley. I also like the OM Audio Inearpeace but the fit can be annoying because they're on the large side.

I was looking at that yesterday, might pick them up!

Brainwaves came with some comply foam tips, they were really nice but they're pricy, there somewhere else or can I make them?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Anyone got an opinion on Bang and Olufsen headphones?

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
I have had the worst experiences trying to utilize price matching promises at various big box stores. I remember one particular experience at Frys which the employee started adding "processing fees," the most expensive shipping, shipping insurance, and other bullshit. The best is when the store will only take the "list price," and won't accept literally any type of discount (coupons, promos, "special" discounts, or "one-of-a-kind" offers; whatever the gently caress those are).

Anyway, recently I went into the local Guitar Center and picked up Audio-Technica ATH-M50x which they no hassle price-matched for me. All I did was search for the cheapest pair on the internet, which happened to be a seller on amazon for $135. I showed them the webpage on my iphone, and they punched the amount in the cash register. I realize people have gotten them for cheaper, but I was incredibly pleased.

It looks like most, if not all Guitar Centers have a nice selection of quality headphones. I am glad I did a little hunting, because GC definitely was not my first thought when there are so many big box electronic stores.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

stringball posted:

I was looking at that yesterday, might pick them up!

Brainwaves came with some comply foam tips, they were really nice but they're pricy, there somewhere else or can I make them?

The RHAs will come with foam tips and they're pretty good quality as well. Not *quite* as nice as Comply tips but they'll last longer.

Otherwise: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pairs-In-...%3D121398190937

Anime_Otaku posted:

Anyone got an opinion on Bang and Olufsen headphones?

Better can be had for the price.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Budget - Up to 150
Source - Fiio E17
Isolation Requirements - The more the better. Mostly worried about sound leaking. For use at work, in an office.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Supra aural. I don't want them touching my ears. I wear headphones for 12 hours straight on Saturday/Sunday.
Preferred Tonal Balance - mostly balanced, clear treble with good extension but no peaky highs like Beyers. Warm, forward mids, with a decent bass. No deep extension required, but it'd be nice. I'd prefer a smooth, relaxed sound. A large soundstage is good. Low to medium listening levels.
Past Headphones - Beyerdynamic DT990, Bowers & Wilkins P5s, Shure SE-215, Audio-Technica ATH-M50s.
Preferred Music - All kinds of poo poo.

Was thinking the HD429s might do the job on the cheap? I use the ATH-M50s at work now, but they have a somewhat strong clamping force and they touch my ears all day. Somewhat fatiguing.

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 20, 2015

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

grack posted:

You can have the best built IEMs in the world and you'll break them by shoving them in your pockets. Just get a damned case.

Fair enough. Updated my recommendation request to remove the durability requirement. I tried a pair of ety kids but the tips didn't fit in my ears at all and as a result the isolation was terrible.

Virtue posted:

Good isolation is important since I'm using these for my commute. I'm a fan of the comply foam tips so something compatible with those might be an option but if possible I'd like something with a bit more isolation.

Budget - max of ~$150 but negotiable
Source - iphone so mic and buttons are a plus
Isolation Requirements - good to great
Past Headphones - sennheiser hd598, steelseries flux iems that have started to fail, a cheap pair of jvc something with comply tips, ety kids (Tips didn't fit at all)
Preferred Music - podcasts, pop, classical.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Virtue posted:

Fair enough. Updated my recommendation request to remove the durability requirement. I tried a pair of ety kids but the tips didn't fit in my ears at all and as a result the isolation was terrible.

Shure SE215. Isolate very well especially with foam tips and the cable is replaceable if it breaks. Comes with a case as well.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

grack posted:

Shure SE215. Isolate very well especially with foam tips and the cable is replaceable if it breaks. Comes with a case as well.

Love my SE215s, but gently caress Shure's replacement cable.

SE215 on amazon.co.uk: £80.49.
Shure replacement cable on amazon.co.uk: £43.89.

The cheapest non-official cable is still £20.99, and none of the reviews are any good.

I'm not spending 50% of the original purchase on a cable.

So instead I bought some JLab Epics. Because I just end up plugging the SE215s into a Sony SBH20 bluetooth adapter.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 20, 2015

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

yeah the Shure SE-215s are excellent for the price. Fantastic isolation, good cable. Treble seems pretty recessed, but the bass is nice. Comes across a bit muddy. I only got them for use on a motorcycle so for that purpose, they're 10/10

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

grack posted:

Something like the RHA MA750 would be right up your alley.

I got these today and im seeing conflicting info on "breaking in", I'm going to use them the same regardless but does this even mean anything? It was mentioned by the manufacture on the amazon page when someone didn't like the sound it came with

Google pulls up a mess of info on this :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

stringball posted:

I got these today and im seeing conflicting info on "breaking in", I'm going to use them the same regardless but does this even mean anything? It was mentioned by the manufacture on the amazon page when someone didn't like the sound it came with

Google pulls up a mess of info on this :(

Nobody knows but probably not. Just, you know, listen to them.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Anime_Otaku posted:

I'm thinking about getting some new headphones

Budget - £150 maybe a little bit more.

Source - iPod, hoping to upgrade to an iPhone soon, Bluetooth would be nice but not required

Isolation Requirements: Pretty minimal, I'll be using them at home.

Preferred Type of Headphone: on or over ear.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to a lot of stuff from metal to chiptune to stand up comedy. I suppose clear vocals, not too much bass. I guess that doesn't help an awful lot.

Past Headphones: My current pair of big headphones are Wesc on ear Chambers by RZA (yeah I know) which were good in the store but the pad on the over head strap has come off and the pads aren't very padded.
I also have a pair of Bluez 2 by AfterShokz Bluetooth bone conductive headphones which are nice when I'm out but due to them going behind my head rather than over they're not great for laying around the house with.
Prior to those I had a pair of Bose on ear headphones that were really nice but they've definitely been surpassed in terms of sound. I've also had in ears from Sennheiser and Marley.

Preferred Music: I listen to most things, mainly rock, metal and punk, along with Hip Hop and Rap not so much electronica , though I do like me some chiptune.

Some "would be nice" stuff: Thread covered wire, the Marley's have this and I really liked it, if Bluetooth then I'd prefer an inbuilt battery to having to provide my own batteries. Kinda silly but I'd prefer the outside to not just be a generic black, which is what attracted me to the B&O phones.

Anyone? I've edited it to make it less wall of text like and upped the price to £150 as that seems about the price most ones that look good seem to start.

Edit: What about either these AKG K 701: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000EBBJ6Y?ref_=pd_ybh_2
Or these Audio Technica ATH-M50X: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HVLUSGM?ref_=pd_ybh_3

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

A friend linked me this amp. I okay on picking up a pair of DT-770s. Opinions?