Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The thing dragging New Vegas, and the post-apocalyptic genre in general, down for me is the LP I'm watching where the LPer is acting pretty much like a snarky person would if transported into the game: relentlessly mocking the setting, characters, and game mechanics and just about crapping his pants any time anything actually threatening happens. It's a very funny LP, but it makes any attempt at earnest sincerity in a game where people have the technology to maintain powered armor suits but have lost the ability to repair fences like the world's most hosed-up Civ tech tree, well, laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

The thing dragging New Vegas, and the post-apocalyptic genre in general, down for me is the LP I'm watching where the LPer is acting pretty much like a snarky person would if transported into the game: relentlessly mocking the setting, characters, and game mechanics and just about crapping his pants any time anything actually threatening happens. It's a very funny LP, but it makes any attempt at earnest sincerity in a game where people have the technology to maintain powered armor suits but have lost the ability to repair fences like the world's most hosed-up Civ tech tree, well, laughable.

What LP is this? It sounds amazing.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Sociopastry posted:

What LP is this? It sounds amazing.

It's over here. Something I find particularly amusing is (do spoilers for an LP count as spoilers?) he never enters VATS, so the tutorial 'press V to enter VATS' tip is still present over the ending scenes. Which I guess counts as a little thing dragging the game down, but not one that very many people would encounter.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

It's over here. Something I find particularly amusing is (do spoilers for an LP count as spoilers?) he never enters VATS, so the tutorial 'press V to enter VATS' tip is still present over the ending scenes. Which I guess counts as a little thing dragging the game down, but not one that very many people would encounter.

What the hell kind of joyless creature never uses VATS?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't like VATS. I used it because it was helpful when your stats suck but I don't like constantly stopping the gameplay to click on "target head" a few times (you always want to target the head) and let the game play itself for you. A lot of games have these kinds of mechanics that completely stop the gameplay and it ruins the flow for me. It's more serious in an action game though, like how dragon's dogma forces you to pause to use any items, so anytime you get hit for a lot of damage you can't quickly pick yourself up off the ground and say "okay try that again motherfucker" instead you have to stop the action for a minute and stare at some very slow menus to heal yourself before you can safely do anything again. Was not excited to see VATS back in fallout 4.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't like VATS. I used it because it was helpful when your stats suck but I don't like constantly stopping the gameplay to click on "target head" a few times (you always want to target the head) and let the game play itself for you. A lot of games have these kinds of mechanics that completely stop the gameplay and it ruins the flow for me. It's more serious in an action game though, like how dragon's dogma forces you to pause to use any items, so anytime you get hit for a lot of damage you can't quickly pick yourself up off the ground and say "okay try that again motherfucker" instead you have to stop the action for a minute and stare at some very slow menus to heal yourself before you can safely do anything again. Was not excited to see VATS back in fallout 4.

I didn't mind the ability to pull out a shot you didn't actually have to aim, but using VATS really did just boil down to hitting the head over and over. There was zero point in doing anything else apart from maybe shooting Cazadors in the wings to make them slightly less of a complete poo poo to deal with. With a system like VATS I'd expect to me encouraged to have my character shooting guns out of people's hands and poo poo like that, not just shooting them with regular old shots again and again. You COULD, but it wasn't really worth bothering with.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'll tell you what's dragging down VATS. That loving sound when you use it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Slime posted:

I didn't mind the ability to pull out a shot you didn't actually have to aim, but using VATS really did just boil down to hitting the head over and over. There was zero point in doing anything else apart from maybe shooting Cazadors in the wings to make them slightly less of a complete poo poo to deal with. With a system like VATS I'd expect to me encouraged to have my character shooting guns out of people's hands and poo poo like that, not just shooting them with regular old shots again and again. You COULD, but it wasn't really worth bothering with.

In 3 at least there was often a slight accuracy boost to shooting at the right arm so in a lot of situations it was actually better to aim there and make them drop their guns. If you were under leveled and surrounded by super mutants, being able to stop a couple of them from firing for a few seconds could really help your chances of survival even if you didn't kill them outright.

What drags down FO3 is the fact that you can't back out of conversations without scrolling to the "get out of conversation" dialog option.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That got so much better in Skyrim, when you could just hit Tab and be done with talking altogether.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

What the hell kind of joyless creature never uses VATS?

Probably the kind using a mouse and can aim

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

VATS is really useful when you're playing a gunslinger and you can use it to 'quickdraw' on a Powder Ganger and blow up the dynamite in their hand.

I managed to kill five of the gang that attacks Goodsprings in one shot with that.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Jul 1, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
VATS is great if you're like me and can't aim for poo poo in the heat of battle. Give me something with a sniper scope and I'll pick things off from a distance no problem, but I really have trouble with an up-close-and-personal gun like an assault rifle, shotgun or revolver.

It also helps to cover for Fallout's occasionally shonky aim. A few guns are intentionally imperfect (to reflect the fact they're loving ancient things from before a nuclear war), and I think sometimes the game just isn't very good at guns, so aiming entirely by yourself sometimes doesn't work out.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
VATS is good because Fallouts are bad shooters.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Slime posted:

I found myself aiming for the weapon quite a lot, in the case of heavily armed super mutants.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I would always use VATS at first for easy hadshots or to shoot dynamite right out of people's hands, but then I'd switch to manual shooting because I'm impatient.

Running backwards waiting for VATS to fill up just doesn't feel good. The problem is the game lets you have your cake and eat it too. It should really prevent you from manual shooting for awhile if you used VATS and you have 0 energy, but that'd also be lame so I can see why they didn't do it that way.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Dead Island probably has more negatives than positives but one thing that really drags it down is this: enemies knocking you down. I can't imagine many worse mechanics than enemies taking away control of your already clumsy and stiff character for 5-10 seconds.

There's also zombies who throw knives at you and just about instantly kill you. I have no idea how zombies got so good with thrown weapons.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Thoughtless posted:

Dead Island probably has more negatives than positives but one thing that really drags it down is this: enemies knocking you down. I can't imagine many worse mechanics than enemies taking away control of your already clumsy and stiff character for 5-10 seconds.

There's also zombies who throw knives at you and just about instantly kill you. I have no idea how zombies got so good with thrown weapons.

Instant death is bullshit 99.99% of the time. ZombiU was, in some ways, an FPS Zombie Apocalypse version of Dark Souls, which makes it seem like it could be a fun horror game. You had to scavenge for your gear, and if you died you had to go back and get it without dying again or you would lose all that gear. However, the common zombies in the game could very easily instakill you. Needless to say, there's a reason it never caught on like Dark Souls did.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The real reason ZombiU never caught on was it being on the Wii U. Also it's name being really stupid probably threw a lot of people off.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SiKboy posted:

People always complain about being able to be the head of the mages guild in Skyrim with pretty much no magic skills, but maybe the guild head position is mainly admin and bullshit politics. Its not like we expect the head of the UFC to also be the strongest fighter, or the head of the teamsters union to be the best driver.

That would be fine if your title was "President of the Wizards Union" or something but when people hear Archmage it creates the expectation of something more along these lines:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm playing through Resident Evil 4 for the first time. It's really good. Holds up surprisingly well for a game that came out ten years and two console generations ago. I'm enjoying it a lot but there's one thing that really brings it down:

El Gigante.

Yeah, the first boss. Well, Del Lago is the first boss but he's more of a gimmick so I'm sort of ignoring it. El Gigante is the first real big dude you fight on foot and it's brutal. I watched people online take him down using just the knife but here I was struggling to do anything at all to it and I'm pretty sure I died somewhere around 10 times, give or take. It was really frustrating and he almost made me want to put the game down, but I pushed on. Turns out there's a second one not to long after that that I could have completely avoided, but I bashed my head against the wall trying to kill him because I wanted the sweet loot he was guarding. I did eventually beat him but I wasted all my grenades. No biggie.

Now I'm 15-ish hours into the game. Probably in the last third of the game. You know what they do? They recycle El Gigante only this time there's two of them. No sweat! There's a way to use the environment to instantly kill one of them, and by now my weapons are seriously overpowered. I've got this poo poo on lockdown. Except I don't. It took me ten full minutes of kiting this rear end in a top hat around taking any potshot I could. I went through two First Aid Sprays, used entire shotgun and sniper rifle magazines, and even used a few Broken Butterfly bullets.

I seriously hate this boss.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Kaubocks posted:

I'm playing through Resident Evil 4 for the first time. It's really good. Holds up surprisingly well for a game that came out ten years and two console generations ago. I'm enjoying it a lot but there's one thing that really brings it down:

El Gigante.

Yeah, the first boss. Well, Del Lago is the first boss but he's more of a gimmick so I'm sort of ignoring it. El Gigante is the first real big dude you fight on foot and it's brutal. I watched people online take him down using just the knife but here I was struggling to do anything at all to it and I'm pretty sure I died somewhere around 10 times, give or take. It was really frustrating and he almost made me want to put the game down, but I pushed on. Turns out there's a second one not to long after that that I could have completely avoided, but I bashed my head against the wall trying to kill him because I wanted the sweet loot he was guarding. I did eventually beat him but I wasted all my grenades. No biggie.

Now I'm 15-ish hours into the game. Probably in the last third of the game. You know what they do? They recycle El Gigante only this time there's two of them. No sweat! There's a way to use the environment to instantly kill one of them, and by now my weapons are seriously overpowered. I've got this poo poo on lockdown. Except I don't. It took me ten full minutes of kiting this rear end in a top hat around taking any potshot I could. I went through two First Aid Sprays, used entire shotgun and sniper rifle magazines, and even used a few Broken Butterfly bullets.

I seriously hate this boss.

I like to use my free RPG in that fight, because gently caress dealing with two of those guys.

e: and basically the Broken Butterfly is an anti-boss weapon so it's perfectly fine to spent some magnum rounds on them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I used my RPG on Mr. Freeze earlier but I seriously should have considered buying a second one just to deal with those guys.

I did beat them. Should be smooth sailing for me unless more of them show up. That boss just seriously sours me on this otherwise really fun game.

StandardVC10 posted:

e: and basically the Broken Butterfly is an anti-boss weapon so it's perfectly fine to spent some magnum rounds on them.
But what if I need the Broken Butterfly for the NEXT boss?? :ohdear:

Kaubocks has a new favorite as of 00:33 on Jul 2, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yes I get it riddler, you want me to go do your thing, could you PLEASE shut the gently caress about it already?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Alteisen posted:

Yes I get it riddler, you want me to go do your thing, could you PLEASE shut the gently caress about it already?

I don't think you "get" the Riddler.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The Mother Base management in MGS: Peace Walker is boring as poo poo.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Inco posted:

MGS: Peace Walker is boring as poo poo.

I agree

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Jia posted:

I agree

Well, that is also mostly true, but from what I've seen, the base management is coming back in TPP and that makes me very uncertain about the game.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Looks like a lot of Mother Base stuff can be handled while out on the field so you have to check in with them a lot less frequently. I'm hoping this makes it feel a lot different as I also found base management to be exhausting but I really want to like Phantom Pain.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

I would always use VATS at first for easy hadshots or to shoot dynamite right out of people's hands, but then I'd switch to manual shooting because I'm impatient.

Running backwards waiting for VATS to fill up just doesn't feel good. The problem is the game lets you have your cake and eat it too. It should really prevent you from manual shooting for awhile if you used VATS and you have 0 energy, but that'd also be lame so I can see why they didn't do it that way.

Some mods turn VATS energy into kind of a stamina, so it can be used for sprinting or a bullet time(which is dumb). I don't know if it was something broken when I played, but if I ran out of that the aim bloom was pretty much 1/3 of the screen. It still let you fire, just you weren't accurate at all.

Best part about VATS is going melee and punching someone so hard they get stuck in a wall, until they start vibrating from the physics breaking, then shoot out at the speed of sound.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I just finished Shadow of Mordor. Fun game, I like killing orcs, combat felt alright, and I'm a big ol LotR nerd so the story drew me in.
But man did the last boss fight suck. Star the last mission, nemesis fight, 5 captain fight, then a 5 click QTE? Come the gently caress on, I had a better time going after random captains than I did against the Hand of loving Sauron.

Quick time events ruin games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Alteisen posted:

He wouldn't be so bad if they'd recorded more lines for him. As it is, you hear the exact same ones over and over again and it gets old really loving fast when you're going for his trophies (which I had to do to get any kind of ending, apparently if you've done everything else by the time you complete the main story you have to do Riddler's poo poo to see the ending). It's especially great hearing the same three failure lines when you're doing one of those trial and error type puzzles, like the one where you have to activate eight generators in a certain order.

"Failure for a failure! Perfect!"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

On the other hand, having him scold you for looking up the solution on the Internet was brilliant.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doc Morbid posted:

He wouldn't be so bad if they'd recorded more lines for him. As it is, you hear the exact same ones over and over again and it gets old really loving fast when you're going for his trophies (which I had to do to get any kind of ending, apparently if you've done everything else by the time you complete the main story you have to do Riddler's poo poo to see the ending). It's especially great hearing the same three failure lines when you're doing one of those trial and error type puzzles, like the one where you have to activate eight generators in a certain order.

"Failure for a failure! Perfect!"

If you're talking about the puzzle in the movie studio, you turn on the generators based on the posters, in chronological order.

Some of the riddle ones can be annoying though as they'll show up in places but you'll need to do something else first. Like the one inside the clocktower. It tells you there's one if you're just in there but you can't actually get it unless you activate Oracle's computer first.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, the stuff he says when you actually solve his riddles is good. It's a shame they decided to have him taunt you with repeated lines every five minutes, I like Wally Wingert's Riddler and all but hearing the same ten lines over and over throughout a 30-hour playthrough made me never want to hear the guy's voice again.

In general, the dialogue seems a lot more repetitive than it used to, you hear the same thug chatter over and over. Might be a bug, because there were conversations I literally heard once in the entire game (such as the thug with the hay fever) while other lines would repeat constantly.

muscles like this? posted:

If you're talking about the puzzle in the movie studio, you turn on the generators based on the posters, in chronological order.
There were... posters? Riddler was right, I am an idiot! :downsgun:

Still, there were a couple of timing-based ones that basically required trial and error to get right, such as the one REC puzzle at Arkham Knight's HQ.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Jul 2, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Unless I'm mistaken, you can't change your skin in Batman: AK mid-game like you could in previous installments. You have to exit out to the main menu to change it.

Though I guess to be fair, in previous versions you had to go back to the batcave, so all the loading to and fro probably adds up to the same amout from exciting to the menu.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the previous games you couldn't change your skin until you actually beat the game. AK lets you do it whenever since they changed it to all in engine.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

muscles like this? posted:

In the previous games you couldn't change your skin until you actually beat the game. AK lets you do it whenever since they changed it to all in engine.

There was a button code you could input to unlock skins immediately in AC, though you had to put it in every time you started the game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The balance in Terraria is bizarre. Pretty much anything that isn't a hard mode boss fight is a complete cakewalk that you can just sort of muddle through. On the other hand, hard mode boss fights practically demand perfection if you're trying to solo them.

(For people who aren't familiar with Terraria, "hard mode" is stuff that was added after launch and makes up the vast majority of the game's content, not a difficulty setting)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

The Moon Monster posted:

The balance in Terraria is bizarre. Pretty much anything that isn't a hard mode boss fight is a complete cakewalk that you can just sort of muddle through. On the other hand, hard mode boss fights practically demand perfection if you're trying to solo them.

(For people who aren't familiar with Terraria, "hard mode" is stuff that was added after launch and makes up the vast majority of the game's content, not a difficulty setting)

The new patch (:woop:) also added Expert Worlds, which appears to make all the bosses nearly impossible. They do more damage and move faster as well as having extra stages and moves. I used to be able to take on the Eye of Cthulu with garbage and spare parts, in Expert I had to get a full gold suit, buff potions and a shotgun. The Brain and Skeletron nearly instagib me. I don't know if I can handle it solo at all, let alone hardmode content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm finding it odd why the loot from one of the nastier bosses is so awful but the queen bee boss dropped me a ton of awesome poo poo.