Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

I would really like a good DPS meter to help improve my own gameplay. I've never installed an add-on or mod to a video game, halp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I just want my mystic knight class yoshi P, let me stab lizards with flare.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gearhead posted:

The main reason Red Mage isn't in is because it makes utterly no sense in the current system context as a hybrid of multiple different roles.

A hybrid class would make no sense, but you could easily make a class of a single role and just give it red mage flavor. Black mages don't behave even remotely like they do in single-player FF games, because elemental strengths and weaknesses in an MMO like this would be terrible and not fun, but they make it work anyway.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

biopanda posted:

I would really like a good DPS meter to help improve my own gameplay. I've never installed an add-on or mod to a video game, halp

http://advancedcombattracker.com/

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ciaphas posted:

Which one is that, and is it accurate?

Its ACT with then rainbow mage overlay and I edited the html to show what really matters, damage. DPS matters some but not as much as damage.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Velveteen posted:

Finally! I hit 45 and did my scholar quest to get all new scholarly clothes (minus the gown since that's in 5 more levels.)

Unfortunately it makes me look really dorky, but at least it doesn't look too bad. Plus it totally beats being plain looking.

Type /visor to get rid of the glasses.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Are there mods that make the general UI of XIV not look all bulky and poo poo?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pandaK posted:

Are there mods

Not really, no.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

pandaK posted:

Are there mods that make the general UI of XIV not look all bulky and poo poo?

No. You can increase or reduce the size of the ui though.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

bonewitch posted:

Okay, basic rundown of ninjitsu:

Huton is your bread and butter, you want it up at all times. It increases your attack speed and WS speed so you hit faster, ezpz.
Suiton allows you do Trick Attack or Sneak Attack without being Hidden. Trick Attack is a 400 potency attack (read: alot) that also buffs all damage on the enemy by 10% for 10s. Its really, really good and you want to be using it every 60s as TA comes off CD.
Raiton is your filler attack. You generally want to be using it when you don't need refresh Huton and TA is on cooldown.
Fuma is kind of a shittier Raiton, but since it's physical and only has one jutsu it occasionally sees use.
Doton is bad, you don't want to use it unless a) there is 3+ enemies and b) they will survive the full duration.
Katon is eh, use it for aoe if the enemies are going to survive a full rotation of Doton.

Raiton vs Fuma comes down to "Is Raiton going to slow my next GCD, if so Fuma instead"

Also Kassatsu makes doton crit for every tick due to how ground AoEs work

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Fister Roboto posted:

A hybrid class would make no sense, but you could easily make a class of a single role and just give it red mage flavor. Black mages don't behave even remotely like they do in single-player FF games, because elemental strengths and weaknesses in an MMO like this would be terrible and not fun, but they make it work anyway.

I'm expecting to see Red Mage rolled out around the time they get around to fixing the unholy mess that is the Armory System in general

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What's wrong with the armoury? It's the best thing about this game..

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Truga posted:

What's wrong with the armoury? It's the best thing about this game..

Generally people mean the whole class/job distinction. Playing every job is fine but adding in classes bloats the amount of data you have to keep on each character.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

vOv posted:

Goddamn this game is pretty. Here's a link to a screenshot I took in the final zone (not too spoilery, but just in case...)

It's a shame it uses FXAA because it means screenshots don't have AA in them at all.

Also in case you're like me and have mount music disabled most of the time, the music track for the lvl 59 plot flying mount is pretty great.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Kanfy posted:

It's a shame it uses FXAA because it means screenshots don't have AA in them at all.

Also in case you're like me and have mount music disabled most of the time, the music track for the lvl 59 plot flying mount is pretty great.

This is also the personal airship theme. It's amazing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Along with the class/job distinction, you'll notice that your bars reset when you equip your job stone. Except it's not resetting. Take off that job stone and it reverts. Your Gladiator's hotbar isn't your Paladin's hotbar.

The hole's even deeper than that. When you make a hotbar shared, all it does is change what's displayed. Each class and each job has its own version of that hotbar, sharing just means that there's a class-neutral hotbar that's present when the box is ticked. It's what allows neat hotbar tricks to work because these macros are accessing hotbars and copying them over.

As someone who has all jobs unlocked, this means the game keeps information for every single class and every single job on my character.

I do hope they do something about all these little system issues before 4.0.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Eminent Domain posted:

Oh it is? Shows how often I have that music enabled. :v:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Stormgale posted:

Raiton vs Fuma comes down to "Is Raiton going to slow my next GCD, if so Fuma instead"

Also Kassatsu makes doton crit for every tick due to how ground AoEs work

The lag situation is so dire that I can't always fit Fuma inside a GCD and it's kind of been turning me off from playing NIN even though I enjoy the class a good deal.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is the ACT window an overlay that injects into the game, or is it just an always on top transparent window?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Eminent Domain posted:

It's the theme for all non-chocobo dedicated flying mounts, though it's obviously intended first and foremost for The Mount You Get At 59. You even hear the opening bars of the theme in the cutscene where you get the mount.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
PSA, because I didn't know this until just now and I wish I had: there are vendors in Ishgard that sell weapons for the new classes' entire 30-50 leveling progression, including a normal quality i115 weapon for when you hit 50. If you can get dungeon drops they'll probably be better for their level but it's nice to know you don't have to rely on those or the market board.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Eimi posted:

As one of those grognerds who loves CoP to death, XIV's story gets better. Honestly I'd say with the exception of one very dumb thing, Heavensward is as good as any XI story. They clearly learned a lot from 2.0 to now in terms of story telling and how to approach characters and it really shows. I mean this doesn't help when you're slogging through to get to HW, but trust me it's pretty good. :v:

Granted this world will never be Vana'diel and I love Vana'diel to death while I'm still meh on Eorzea (largely because this game has a bad case of the GoT grimdark everyone is kind of an awful poo poo but you're friends with them so oh well) but yeah. IF anything I think what you're experiencing is that the player character is very much the main character in XIV, while in XI you were a side character. I preferred XI's method as having a story around a blank is boring as poo poo, but I know a lot of goons love that they are center stage. Like everything else, this gets handled better in HW.

To be fair, XI was also somewhat shades of grey and all the nations had some skeletons in their closets (just like real life!) i.e. Bastok took the Quadav's land, ruined it, and treated the Galka like poo poo, San d'Oria betrayed Tavnazia and Elvaan were dicks in general, Windurst got involved in a lot of mad science that was ruining the land and enslaved Fenrir and so on...

I think some GoT grimdark might be a welcome change of pace, because in 2.0, it seems pretty black and white. The Empire is bad, the primals are bad, the Scions and the allied nations are good, you gotta stop the Empire and primals but first you must deliver coffee to these guys then collect 10 bear asses.

Eimi posted:

As for talking about balance and design, I'm sorry XI's team had no clue what either were. It was an awful mess of a game that somehow mostly worked by a miracle. Just a daily reminder that FFXI ninja was supposed to be a dps and samurai was supposed to tank. Also Square was monolithic and uncommunicative as hell in those days. Sweeping job changes would be summed up as "Ranger has been adjusted" end patch notes. The crisis of 1.0 and letting Yoshi actually interact with the fans is some kind of miracle.

Samurai was... meant to be a tank? What? Seriously? :stare:

Givin posted:

Red Mage, God of all mages. God of all classes. Who needs a party when you can solo Gods and dragons? I imagine that every time it's brought up about adding Red Mage to FFXIV some of the SE vets getting looks of absolute wide eyed horror on their faces.

I loved RDM and I'm one of those assholes who keeps begging and whining that XIV doesn't have it. Most people I talk to about XIV irl are like "drat, XIV really needs RDM." RDM was just really, really fun to play. And had a cool hat.

Even in XI RDM wasn't quite an all around job, even though it was supposed to be in theory. It was pathetically bad at dealing actual damage - its melee abilities sucked and it was really bad at nuking like a BLM. RDM was primarily a healer \ support job with a focus on buffs and debuffs in party settings. The reason why RDM could solo most stuff wasn't because it could dish out pain, it's because its enhancing and enfeebling abilities were so good that it was very hard to kill one.

XIV already has 3 flavors of healer, so I wouldn't mind if they made RDM the 4th. Give it some cures, a few nice enhancing spells and maybe some things like Slow \ Paralyze \ Stun \ whatever that don't do much damage but are more potent and last longer than other jobs' versions. I mean granted, that's really similar to Conjurer and and Scholar, but hey. Maybe give RDM some enspells.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

they should just make a red mage glamour set, it doesn't really need to be a full class in an mmo like this

(same for blue mage)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

they should just make a red mage glamour set, it doesn't really need to be a full class in an mmo like this

(same for blue mage)

Yeah. I at least want a Red Mage outfit.

Also, I really want an old school Black Mage outfit where your face just becomes a black blob with glowy yellow eyes like a Jawa or Orko from He-Man. FFXI had the BLM artifact set, but I was always disappointed they never did the face thing. In this game, the BLM artifact looks more like XI's relic set, and it has this weird facemask thing that's kinda supposed to mimic the old BLM face but it just doesn't look very good.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. I at least want a Red Mage outfit.

Well, the game lets you get pretty close, at least.

Personally I am hoping for Blue Mage to go with the Ala Mhigo expansion, since I assume they'll have that kick rear end middle eastern style they had in FFXI.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I don't think a lot of the classic FF classes people are asking for make much sense in this game. People keep asking for Samurai and I don't know what the point of one would be at this point, I don't know how they'd make it different enough from either Dark Knight as a tank or Ninja as a DPS to make it worth having.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

Ouhei posted:

I don't think a lot of the classic FF classes people are asking for make much sense in this game. People keep asking for Samurai and I don't know what the point of one would be at this point, I don't know how they'd make it different enough from either Dark Knight as a tank or Ninja as a DPS to make it worth having.
None of the classes are very different honestly. They'd just be cool.

Could do a parry tank with it maybe.

Now Blue Mage, that's one that I want but don't ever see them doing.

Neat Machine fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 1, 2015

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Minrad posted:

Well, the game lets you get pretty close, at least.

Personally I am hoping for Blue Mage to go with the Ala Mhigo expansion, since I assume they'll have that kick rear end middle eastern style they had in FFXI.

What set is this, I need it.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Zerilan posted:

What set is this, I need it.

Maelstrom officer chestpiece, augmented bard hat, gloves from.... lost city? Not sure about the boots.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think some GoT grimdark might be a welcome change of pace, because in 2.0, it seems pretty black and white. The Empire is bad, the primals are bad, the Scions and the allied nations are good, you gotta stop the Empire and primals but first you must deliver coffee to these guys then collect 10 bear asses.

"the allied nations are good" is a huge stretch. Gridania is xenophobic to the point where people will be denied medical care - in a forest full of herbs and conjurers - because they broke some esoteric elemental law. Ul'dah is a capitalist dystopia that is constantly on the verge of collapsing every single patch, and Limsa Lominsa is like five minutes from being an expansionist empire on its own - don't forget that the reason the kobolds summoned Titan is the admiral went back on her word and starting taking their land and materials.

They aren't forces of good. They're countries. The Scions are the only ones who at the end of the day really give a poo poo about Eorzea first and everything else second.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fancy Corndog posted:

None of the classes are very different honestly. They'd just be cool.

Could do a parry tank with it maybe.

Now Blue Mage, that's one that I want but don't ever see them doing.

Dark Knight is already a parry tank. Not that parry is any good, still, and thankfully it has actual mitigation cooldowns, but it uses parry the same way Paladin uses shield blocks.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Dark Knight is already a parry tank. Not that parry is any good, still, and thankfully it has actual mitigation cooldowns, but it uses parry the same way Paladin uses shield blocks.

I do kind of miss the ability to skill up parry vs. steelshells in FFXI.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Give SAM a tank stance that automatically increases the rate of parry from the front by some high number that approaches 100%, from the sides by some slightly lesser amount. Mitigation cooldowns could then increase the effectiveness of parries by some amount so you'd be mitigating +20% damage from parry or whatever. Give it a guaranteed parry for tankbusters, and some way to mitigate magical damage and congrats you have a (somewhat) unique tank

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Eimi posted:

Granted this world will never be Vana'diel and I love Vana'diel to death while I'm still meh on Eorzea.

What was so great about Vana'diel?

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Whizbang posted:

Crabs or some poo poo.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

Rusty caps and black sole.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

"the allied nations are good" is a huge stretch. Gridania is xenophobic to the point where people will be denied medical care - in a forest full of herbs and conjurers - because they broke some esoteric elemental law. Ul'dah is a capitalist dystopia that is constantly on the verge of collapsing every single patch, and Limsa Lominsa is like five minutes from being an expansionist empire on its own - don't forget that the reason the kobolds summoned Titan is the admiral went back on her word and starting taking their land and materials.

They aren't forces of good. They're countries. The Scions are the only ones who at the end of the day really give a poo poo about Eorzea first and everything else second.

I wish the game had told me those things. Maybe it did and I just didn't notice because whenever Minfillia or Alphinaud start talking my eyes start to glaze over. I think my eyes begin to skim over the text but whatever it says just doesn't register in my brain.

The game did say that Ul'Dah is a capitalist dystopia but maybe that's just because I started in Ul'Dah. I had no idea about Limsa's imperialism or Gridiania being xenophobic with no medical care. I did play Gridiania in 1.0 and they came off as some weird rear end religious cult, and the moral of its story was "don't question the existence of God or magic, this stuff is actually real, silly non-believers." I really, really hated Gridania. Let's not even mention its layout.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Has SE given any more info on when they're sending out the Gold Chocobo Feathers? I know they said July, so i'm hoping they might have given a more concrete date by now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wish the game had told me those things. Maybe it did and I just didn't notice because whenever Minfillia or Alphinaud start talking my eyes start to glaze over. I think my eyes begin to skim over the text but whatever it says just doesn't register in my brain.

The game did say that Ul'Dah is a capitalist dystopia but maybe that's just because I started in Ul'Dah. I had no idea about Limsa's imperialism or Gridiania being xenophobic with no medical care. I did play Gridiania in 1.0 and they came off as some weird rear end religious cult, and the moral of its story was "don't question the existence of God or magic, this stuff is actually real, silly non-believers." I really, really hated Gridania. Let's not even mention its layout.

Simply telling you those things directly would be bad storytelling bur yes they do show you all the things he mentioned during the MSQ. You simply missed it.

Y'shtola calls the Admiral out on causing the entire debacle with Titan in the first place because Limsa were the treaty breakers, not the kobolds. Similarly, the Blacksmith guilds receptionist reveals that the entire Limsan tradition of metal working originated in them enslaving kobolds and observing their forced labor.

Limsa has a pretty nasty history of being thw aggressor against the kobolds. They aren't all that different from the Garleans in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Gridania thing is in a sidequest where you're trying to help this dying woman but get told "tough poo poo" because she broke a branch without permission or some dumb forest hippie bull. The Limsa Lominsa expansion thing comes up in the main quest but Merlwyb quickly changes the subject every time someone mentions it and Titan is really more of a pressing issue.

• Locked thread