Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GeneX posted:

Not really? Den Protector is a fantastic card, but the really infuriating part of the deck is where they get endless 3/3 (or 4/4) deathtouchers.

It's not a broken combo or anything, it's just really bad for anyone who wants to play a deck that gets rid of threats without exiling.

I understand that that interaction is good vs control decks but why is it "broken" and not just a bad matchup for your deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheKingofSprings posted:

The difference between standard and draft is you don't have to pay 20 dollars for a single card that will be worthless in 2 years.

Transitioning from standard to modern is already expensive and difficult enough even if it's a high power standard where cards do carry over (scars-inn).

E: a standard comprised entirely of draft quality cards could play like a dream and it would still be awful because you would pay anywhere from 200-500$ for cards that are completely useless after rotation

Meh, not saying the format is without its warts, and Wizards isn't directly responsible for how the secondary market is run. My point is that if you wanted to play in an explicitly powerful format, Modern, Legacy, and Vintage are there (well, Modern really :smith:) to play. Standard is about using obviously less-powerful stuff on principle.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 1, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The reality is that if you want to play a lot of competitive Magic you have to play Standard and buy Standard cards.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mcmagic posted:

I understand that that interaction is good vs control decks but why is it "broken" and not just a bad matchup for your deck?

It's not broken, it just warps the format towards even more creatures since non-sweeper removal doesn't really work well at all.

WotC did express a wish to have a midrange dominated standard (I think it was Sam Stoddard's Khans retrospective that had it?) so I guess they've succeeded.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

The only creature in standard that could be considered to be overpowered or oppressive in my opinion is Siege Rhino. I never felt that way about Raptor. I remember a pro saying something like, it's pretty much impossible to lose a game if you draw 2 Siege Rhinos and this is pretty much my experience as well both playing with and against it.
I have never had this problem and to this day I don't understand why people think it's some hideous oppressive monstrosity. Maybe it's just because the deck I run has multiple answers to it and any other fat guy, but I think in this standard environment if you don't have answers for big fat guys you might be a little dumb.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I'm pretty sure that standard was supposed to be a casual format that encouraged randoms and casuals to attend FNM's with fun and friendly $20.00 budget decks without having to drop $400

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

The reality is that if you want to play a lot of competitive Magic you have to play Standard and buy Standard cards.

Define "a lot."

I play 1-4 times a week and have played standard about 3 times in my life.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GeneX posted:

It's not broken, it just warps the format towards even more creatures since non-sweeper removal doesn't really work well at all.

WotC did express a wish to have a midrange dominated standard (I think it was Sam Stoddard's Khans retrospective that had it?) so I guess they've succeeded.

I don't even think that this standard is Midrange Dominated, a few weeks ago Esper Dragons was the best deck in the format after that you had Abzan Control. GR Devotion is probably the best deck now and is a midrange deck but Azban Aggro and Atarka Red are still winning toruneys all over the place...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Define "a lot."

I play 1-4 times a week and have played standard about 3 times in my life.

Do you play a lot of GP's, PPTQ's and SCG/TCG Big events?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Serperoth posted:

I know MaRo is not a funny dude, but this is a joke right?

MaRo has some bright moments but from what I've read he's had some duuuuuuuuuuumb moments.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheKingofSprings posted:

Thanks for just out and out saying Standard is bad, MaRo :)

Eternal and Limited are for real champs anyway.

All the Vintage Super League stuff really makes me wish I had Power so I could play Doomsday.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I'm pretty sure that standard was supposed to be a casual format that encouraged randoms and casuals to attend FNM's with fun and friendly $20.00 budget decks without having to drop $400

What in the world?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

Eternal and Limited are for real champs anyway.

All the Vintage Super League stuff really makes me wish I had Power so I could play Doomsday.

there is a solution for you, friend, come play in vintage thunderdome using the free xmage software: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727677

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well yeah but you gotta win those consistently, right? Gotta start the arms race to where everyone's playing with the $400 decks to win maybe $20 store credit every week.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

MaRo has some bright moments but from what I've read he's had some duuuuuuuuuuumb moments.
Maro is one of those people who is largely mediocre but who has risen to a position of relative power, and thinks that it must all have been due to his genius. It doesn't help any that he has several different platforms to expound about his theories about why he is so great at game design, and several thousand adoring fans to tell him he is actually really great at game design.

In general I think most of the strength of recent set successes comes down to development, not design (and definitely not the creative team). They're the people who actually end up constructing the limited formats and balancing cards for standard. Design just makes mechanics like Ken Nagle's PWNAGE.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I like MaRo and think he does a very good job

I also think he has a sense of humor and just because you don't like his jokes doesn't mean that he isn't making them

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i'm glad someone is speaking out in defense of designer extraordinaire, comic genius, and writer for "Roseanne" mark rosewater

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

black potus posted:

i'm glad someone is speaking out in defense of designer extraordinaire, comic genius, and writer for "Roseanne" mark rosewater

i'm a brave man

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

black potus posted:

there is a solution for you, friend, come play in vintage thunderdome using the free xmage software: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727677

Very tempting.

But then I have to learn how matchups work.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

Very tempting.

Or you could play Dredge.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So what drives more pack sales? Constructed or limited? It seems to me that constructed has to be driving them more with how rarity drives power level these days. Am I wrong?

I seem to have people I know who think rarity is designed with limited in mind first and everything else second. Am I alone in thinking that rarity drives pack sales first and that limited balance is just a good symptom?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Very tempting.

play shops or dredge and don't concern yourself with silly things like that

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Lancelot posted:

In general I think most of the strength of recent set successes comes down to development, not design (and definitely not the creative team). They're the people who actually end up constructing the limited formats and balancing cards for standard. Design just makes mechanics like Ken Nagle's PWNAGE.

Isn't development also responsible for last minute changes to Skullclamp and JtMS resulting in them completely warping their respective formats?

EDIT: And I think possibly Jitte?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GeneX posted:

Or you could play Dredge.

I have a better idea.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

tokens
board game

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

PrinnySquadron posted:

Isn't development also responsible for last minute changes to Skullclamp and JtMS resulting in them completely warping their respective formats?

EDIT: And I think possibly Jitte?

Yeah, they're definitely not perfect — I'm just saying designers get a lot of the kudos for sets that play/draft well (like INN/KTK/RoE) when I think that's more due to development. On the other hand, when you give Maro free reign, you end up with combo winter.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Lancelot posted:

Maro is one of those people who is largely mediocre but who has risen to a position of relative power, and thinks that it must all have been due to his genius. It doesn't help any that he has several different platforms to expound about his theories about why he is so great at game design, and several thousand adoring fans to tell him he is actually really great at game design.

I can understand not liking his old man sense of humor, but if you don't think he's legit great at game design, I'm not u what to tell you (besides you're totally wrong). He's not some kind of uber genius, but he absolutely knows what he's talking about.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

CaptCommy posted:

I can understand not liking his old man sense of humor, but if you don't think he's legit great at game design, I'm not u what to tell you (besides you're totally wrong). He's not some kind of uber genius, but he absolutely knows what he's talking about.

He's much better at game design than most Roseanne comedy writers would be.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Man, UR Artifacts is gonna be a cool deck for, like, 3-4 months.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Man, UR Artifacts is gonna be a cool deck for, like, 3-4 months.

There's definitely going to be a ton of people forcing it in draft.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Interesting card, but doesn't make the cut as a control deck sweeper I don't think. Maybe fringe-playable in GWx decks against opposing creature decks?

Angel token looks pretty nice.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

CaptCommy posted:

I think it's an issue of scale. For example, I love his stuff about the colour pie. But he's been on the design team for every set since New Phyrexia, and the last time he developed anything was Rise of the Eldrazi, it feels like he's very detached from the game in a sense. His position basically makes him the Top Dog in Magic-making, and while he's a good designer, his 12-year run (more than half the game's entire life) as Head Designer does, I feel, stagnate the game to some degree.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Imagine the amazing set designs Vlaada Chvatil would come up with if he stooped down from his board game throne.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Thopter supremacy

Wait is that chief dude an uncommon or am I misreading the symbol out of exhaustion

Jen X fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 1, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yo they brought back the Shrugging Demon token, nice.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure nothing in Magic works out this way and they knew that for a long time before standard

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I'm traveling to India for work, is there any sort of mtg scene there? Don't think I'd have time or the inclination to play but I figure I might be able to get cards cheap there.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't see what's meant to be controversial about that Rosewater post, standard will always be a lower powered format compared (except relative to block-constructed, I guess) because it has access to fewer cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Do you play a lot of GP's, PPTQ's and SCG/TCG Big events?

No, but for working 50+ hours, 5/6 days a week, being married and having a 5-month-old daughter, even once a week is "a lot" to me. If you're trying to be a grinder/pro, then yeah obviously you have to play standard.

Elyv posted:

play shops or dredge and don't concern yourself with silly things like that

Shops is the last deck you want to play if you don't know what your opponent is up to. Just play a goldfish deck Belcher (please everyone play Belcher.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't see what's meant to be controversial about that Rosewater post, standard will always be a lower powered format compared (except relative to block-constructed, I guess) because it has access to fewer cards.

It was in response to a question about printing a couple of powerful cards, not about standard being modern/legacy but with a smaller pool.

• Locked thread