Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

He can make some legitimately funny posts at times (not just in a "laugh at this GOP talking point" way), though!

Here is a CNN/ORC poll that has Hillary decimating every GOP wannabe by double digits:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/06/30/trumpbushclinton.pdf

The fun starts on page 13. Obviously, doesn't mean much at this point, but still interesting.

Forget that, Trump is killing it amongst the 65+ age group (with a +/-8% margin of error).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Obdicut posted:

Okay, you really are either deeply deeply dumb or actually a leftist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/us/politics/obama-says-same-sex-marriage-should-be-legal.html

“At a certain point, I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married,” Mr. Obama said.

How did you manage to forget this?

Edit: beaten. That's how easily you get debunked.

You mean the statement he was pretty much forced to make after Biden said it first?

I hate TDD as much as the next guy, but Obama never cared about it until it became politically expedient.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Mister Macys posted:

You mean the statement he was pretty much forced to make after Biden said it first?

I hate TDD as much as the next guy, but Obama never cared about it until it became politically expedient.

...and? TDD's claim was that Obama didn't run on it in 2012. He did. Why he did so is an entirely different question.

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007

Make this man emperor.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Holy poo poo he dropped the 3rd person narration that he had going on in his other announcements

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
He finally just writes in the way he speaks :allears:

logikv9 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 1, 2015

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Faustian Bargain posted:

So with companies like Macy's being petitioned to drop Trump, have there been cases where the opposite has happened? Such as, some company/spokesperson coming out in support of something conservatives hate and pressure put on the company to either change stances or drop the spokesperson?

The Smothers Brothers show was cancelled when they started to criticize the Vietnam War. Phil Donahue had his show cancelled when he mentioned that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to invade Iraq. That's all I've got off the top of my head.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BanjoFish posted:

Make this man emperor.

Ah yes, the great America of the past, the one with completely closed borders.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Whiskey Sours posted:

On that note, how is Rick Perry doing so poorly? He looks presidential, he's experienced, and he's far-right. On paper he seems like he'd be the top candidate. I can't imagine Republican primary voters care much about "oops" or his indictment.
I think it really is the "oops". No one really takes him seriously anymore.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Whiskey Sours posted:

On that note, how is Rick Perry doing so poorly? He looks presidential, he's experienced, and he's far-right. On paper he seems like he'd be the top candidate. I can't imagine Republican primary voters care much about "oops" or his indictment.

Is it just because his support has gone to candidates preferred by the establishment (Walker/Bush/Rubio) and theocrat (Huckabee) wings of the party?

His niche is filled by like four different candidates. His support will improve when some of the field is cleared (and I don't think he'll drop out early).

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Whiskey Sours posted:

How is Santorum not a joke candidate this time? He's Huckabee without the charm, and worst of all he's a Papist.

Is it just because his support has gone to candidates preferred by the establishment (Walker/Bush/Rubio) and theocrat (Huckabee) wings of the party?

It'll come back if he does well in debates, but the portion of the electorate that was his is pretty chopped up. It doesn't help that he does dumb things that even the people who would like to support him have to acknowledge as dumb. Being embarrassed is anathema to the Republican mindset, and his oops thing was genuinely stupid. The glasses ploy is also pretty transparent, and rubs people who like to believe they vote on substance over style the wrong way. Basically he's an also-ran because at this point he hasn't done anything to make himself not one.

Santorum isn't any less of a joke candidate this time, it's just that his party is full of joke candidates. Trump is going to make a deep run, and he will release his financials. He can't be embarrassed, (maybe if someone said his dick was tiny, but I think he's teflon politically) his ego doesn't work that way, that's going to keep him in, and he's going to continue to poll in the top five until the actual nominee bribes him out of the race.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BanjoFish posted:

Make this man emperor.

Hahahaha, you didn't fire me! I QUIT!

What does "impenetrable borders" even mean? Is he planning on physically erecting an iron wall (with gold/bronze leaf) all across the continental U.S.?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 1, 2015

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Franco Potente posted:

Literally the first hit on Google

You are tremendously bad at this. Go the Amerigin route, man: go whole hog.

100% my bad, so the Kasich summary accurately describes Obama 2008-2012.

Sorry guys.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Agrajag posted:

Hahahaha, you didn't fire me! I QUIT!

What does "impenetrable borders" even mean? Is he planning on physically erecting an iron wall (with gold/bronze leaf) all across the continental U.S.?

He's going to build a huge fence and place a sign every 10 feet which says "Private golf course," then tell people they're banned from it one at a time.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
There have been rumors for a long time that Trump's inflow/outflow was incredibly precarious and that he basically begged NBC to keep The Apprentice because he needed the cash coming in.

How funny would it be if he starts having major financial problems after the losses of the NBC and Macy's contracts.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Sorry guys.

Probably from before 2008, too.

Now maybe move on to apologizing for all the other bullshit you said? Maybe start a thread for it, though, that'd be a lengthy derail.

In local primary mews, Pataki kicked a dead guy:

http://observer.com/2015/07/america-reminds-george-pataki-of-new-york-under-mario-cuomo/

quote:

“You turn on the TV, go on the internet, it seems the news in this country and around the world gets worse every day. You know, things are so bad, they’re starting to remind me of New York when I ran against Mario Cuomo,” he said, to a mixture of laughter and “oohs.”

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Three Olives posted:

There have been rumors for a long time that Trump's inflow/outflow was incredibly precarious and that he basically begged NBC to keep The Apprentice because he needed the cash coming in.

How funny would it be if he starts having major financial problems after the losses of the NBC and Macy's contracts.

He has plenty of holdings in property, so not likely.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 1, 2015

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Agrajag posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_German_border

Three Olives posted:

It's okay, he's got experience declaring bankruptcy. it's all a part of doing business.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Man we never had immigrants in America

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

This is pretty much backwards. Biden was in the doghouse for stealing Obama's thunder by announcing his support of gay marriage first. He only forced Obama in the sense of timing - it was supposed to be a bigger deal - not the change of position or it coming before the election.

mdemone posted:

Lawyer, senator, president. You don't get to be any of those three unless you are a bullshit artist of the freshest caliber, and becoming all three means you are a Jedi Master of bullshit.

You've apparently been meeting much more interesting patent and tax attorneys than me.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

BanjoFish posted:

Make this man emperor.

"hey, frankly I don't give a poo poo that my product was made in China or that Macys 'supported illegal immigration' because I was making money"

God drat it it's going to be a fun few months.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Three Olives posted:

This is why I honestly have to ask whether he'll pull out before being required to release any tax returns.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Evidently 65+ crowd sees Trump as a successful and principled businessman so this letter will affirm that view.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Agrajag posted:

By all accounts his property holdings are all highly leveraged and in that BS financial disclosure he claimed buildings that he didn't actually own or had minor stakes in.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have no idea what Trump's finances are but a lot of it has to be brand-relevant, so while he will die plenty-rich regardless this poo poo has got to hurt in terms of his future income.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Sorry guys.

Basically the only slight on Obama's LGBT record is his lying about opposing gay marriage from 2004-2012, he always supported pretty much every other aspect of LGBT rights.

Kasich's record on the other hand has ranged from terrible to mediocre, there's no comparison at all unless you consider gay marriage to be the only LGBT issue.

http://ohiodems.org/topical-reminder-john-kasich-has-a-terrible-record-on-lgbt-issues/

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Agrajag posted:

Fire selling land and buildings to pay off short term liabilities is not sound financial planning. Trump is super hosed if he needs to do that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://blog.chron.com/bookish/2015/07/ted-cruz-signing-memoir-at-sams-club-in-houston-today/

Oh man, Cruz is back in town and signing his book today! Too bad I've got a meeting this afternoon.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
TDD is a really boring troll.
I honestly don't think Jeb has the political chops to win the nomination. His pack of clowns can't win today's electorate. He's going to fail somewhere past Iowa, I think.

But hey, I've been wrong before. I was sure Trump wouldn't run, for example.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Trump is doubling down, this is pretty impressive. Let's see how far he'll actually walk the walk. I wonder how much money it's cost him already.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

TDD is a really boring troll.
I honestly don't think Jeb has the political chops to win the nomination. His pack of clowns can't win today's electorate. He's going to fail somewhere past Iowa, I think.

But hey, I've been wrong before. I was sure Trump wouldn't run, for example.

I'm pretty sure at this point Trump still has the option to not run. It's just the primaries right now.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Obdicut posted:

Okay, you really are either deeply deeply dumb or actually a leftist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/us/politics/obama-says-same-sex-marriage-should-be-legal.html

“At a certain point, I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married,” Mr. Obama said.

How did you manage to forget this?

Edit: beaten. That's how easily you get debunked.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Might have already been linked upthread, but the Daily Show is streaming every episode ever back to back and they are currently in their live coverage of the 2000 election night. This is crazy (and a lot less funny than the show would be a few years later).

http://www.cc.com/events/month-of-zen/live.html

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Great White Hope posted:

Forget that, Trump is killing it amongst the 65+ age group (with a +/-8% margin of error).

With this many candidates, don't the polling companies have to start using bigger samples? A margin of 6% when there are 16 candidates is ridiculous (1/16 = 6.667%).

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Aliquid posted:

Might have already been linked upthread, but the Daily Show is streaming every episode ever back to back and they are currently in their live coverage of the 2000 election night. This is crazy (and a lot less funny than the show would be a few years later).

http://www.cc.com/events/month-of-zen/live.html

Oh God they're tallying electoral votes, this is depressing.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Basically the only slight on Obama's LGBT record is his lying about opposing gay marriage from 2004-2012

Wow.

I mean, I've been known to obfuscate and spin my party's positions form time to time, but this is pure hilarity.

Maybe for next time... terrorists hid a bomb on a school bus in 2008 that would explode if he ever publically supported gay marriage, he bravely lied to protect "the children" despite it killing him inside - they finally found the right bus in 2012 and he could come clean.

Maybe Biden disarmed the bomb too? While the bus was moving...

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Wow.

I mean, I've been known to obfuscate and spin my party's positions form time to time, but this is pure hilarity.

Maybe for next time... terrorists hid a bomb on a school bus in 2008 that would explode if he ever publically supported gay marriage, he bravely lied to protect "the children" despite it killing him inside - they finally found the right bus in 2012 and he could come clean.

Maybe Biden disarmed the bomb too? While the bus was moving...

I'm sorry all the GOP candidates suck and that the OGP is a complete mess of racists and randites. It makes it hard out there for an actual GOP supporter, or a troll, to pretend any sort of equivalency at all.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Obdicut posted:

I'm sorry all the GOP candidates suck and that the OGP is a complete mess of racists and randites. It makes it hard out there for an actual GOP supporter, or a troll, to pretend any sort of equivalency at all.

Sorry friend, if someone lays out a republican candidate for not supporting gay people, empty rhetoric, bombing brown people, being generally blasé about the wealth gap - yes I'm going to draw parallels every time.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

D1Sergo posted:

Oh God they're tallying electoral votes, this is depressing.

It's better to watch the old clips of election night 1984, where the hilarious drama was seeing whether Mondale would win a state. It's on YT in its entirety (the ABC feed).

I think that's the one where they interview Jesse Jackson and he's trying to spin like he would have done better and David Brinkley can't hide his "bitch, please" face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sorry friend, if someone lays out a republican candidate for not supporting gay people, empty rhetoric, bombing brown people, being generally blasé about the wealth gap - yes I'm going to draw parallels every time.

Sorry, I can't hear you over Obama raising the overtime exemption to a reasonably sane level.

• Locked thread