Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Because even Nazis didn't want Hungary, Finland and Slovakia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The only reason we didn't get all of it back in the plebiscite is because you ethnically cleansed it.

Didn't you guys steal the Norwegian colonies of Greenland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands from Norway when Denmark-Norway was finally dissolved?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
That was more Sweden not demanding those territories.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They weren't doing anything with those, anyway. At one point they forgot they had Greenland lying around for several centuries on end.

3peat
May 6, 2010

:eng101: That picture also explains why german men always piss sitting, because if they'd pee like normal men the piss would ricochet on themselves :eng101:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Torrannor posted:

Didn't you guys steal the Norwegian colonies of Greenland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands from Norway when Denmark-Norway was finally dissolved?
I knew Germans love Russia, but I didn't realize you had adopted their Whataboutism. And then the example you use is one colony which was colonized by Danes (the original Norwegians having died out), and two provinces which Denmark never tried to assimilate, being kept by Denmark rather than Norway. Like, neither Denmark nor Norway were and would have been anything but imperial overlords, so no great injustice was committed by Denmark not handing them over to Norway. Unlike the Germans and their policy of harassment, of making minority languages illegal, and of settling non-German territories so as to speed up assimilation, which shifted the population balance across their territories.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Carbon dioxide posted:

The single worst thing of American cinemas is that most of them only serve salted popcorn. :barf:

I mean, the cinemas do that because salt makes them sell more drinks, but what they don't realize is that the only proper popcorn is sugared popcorn.

Salted...popcorn? You've gone too far America.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

3peat posted:

:eng101: That picture also explains why german men always piss sitting, because if they'd pee like normal men the piss would ricochet on themselves :eng101:
:science: They do the same thing with their walls too (design them to ricochet piss everywhere, not piss sitting on them). :science:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

3peat posted:

A lot of Dutch toilets are built like this, too. Apparently it ties in with a proud Protestant tradition of inspecting your own poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

the jizz taxi posted:

Protestant tradition

That's racist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's racist.
Yeah, angry babby religions less than a few centuries old aren't allowed to have traditions. :catholic::hf::smug:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I don't know about you guys but I inspect my poo each time. The one I just did 20 minutes ago was a touch too soft, and the color wasn't perfect. I blame the greasy sausages I ate. Overall 7/10.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I don't know about you guys but I inspect my poo each time. The one I just did 20 minutes ago was a touch too soft, and the color wasn't perfect. I blame the greasy sausages I ate. Overall 7/10.
Was it more of a sea lion or a seal?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Count Roland posted:

Would you poo poo again? That's important.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

the jizz taxi posted:

A lot of Dutch toilets are built like this, too. Apparently it ties in with a proud Protestant tradition of inspecting your own poo.

As a Dutch person I grew up with such toilets. You don't really think about them all that much.

However, it's somewhat complicated when you switch from plateau toilets to bowl toilets. Without Advanced Training, bowl toilets will have water splashing up onto your butt whenever you drop something.

But now I'm glad I got a bowl toilet in my home. It's easier to keep clean.

Nothing is worse than old French toilets, though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
People seem to think these are standard but I've never seen toilets like this except once, we call them Turkish toilets.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, angry babby religions less than a few centuries old aren't allowed to have traditions. :catholic::hf::smug:

Yeah, angry babby countries less than a few centuries old aren't allowed to have traditions. :911: :Belgium:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

People seem to think these are standard but I've never seen toilets like this except once, we call them Turkish toilets.

Don't poo poo on Turks, dude.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

I've been to a ton of lovely camping spots and Aires as a kid visiting France with my parents every year,and they definitely all had French toilets

Rumda posted:

Yeah, angry babby countries less than a few centuries old aren't allowed to have traditions. :911: :Belgium:

All traditions (or at least very few exceptions) are basically 19th century constructs

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Carbon dioxide posted:

As a Dutch person I grew up with such toilets. You don't really think about them all that much.

However, it's somewhat complicated when you switch from plateau toilets to bowl toilets. Without Advanced Training, bowl toilets will have water splashing up onto your butt whenever you drop something.

But now I'm glad I got a bowl toilet in my home. It's easier to keep clean.

Jesus Christ Europe get your poo poo together.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Antwan3K posted:

I've been to a ton of lovely camping spots and Aires as a kid visiting France with my parents every year,and they definitely all had French toilets

That is true but his point is that you won't see one of those in someone's house.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kassad posted:

That is true but his point is that you won't see one of those in someone's house.

Exactly, I'm not surprised that you find those in camping spots (though I'd imagine they've been replaced by port a pottys)

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I saw one of those a few weeks ago in a suburb of Quimper at a soccer field. For a second I thought I was having an Iraq flashback.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Please, enough with the racism against Slavs!

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Soviet Commubot posted:

I saw one of those a few weeks ago in a suburb of Quimper at a soccer field. For a second I thought I was having an Iraq flashback.

For posts like these you're my favorite poster on dese fora, SC.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Jesus Christ Europe get your poo poo together.

:downsrim:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Disco Infiva posted:

Please, enough with the racism against Slavs!

At least we're not the French.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kurtofan posted:

They were all over Ankara. Turkey has a long way to go if they want to join the civilized European Union, they were horrific.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antwan3K posted:

All traditions (or at least very few exceptions) are basically 19th century constructs

Let me tell you about Midsommer.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

They were still standard at French universities in the late 90s, when I was a student in Montpellier.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
I came here for maps, not toilets and corn!

Medieval trade spheres and "sites of encounter":

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Looks in line with my understanding. I'm a little surprised to see Granada looped in with Mali but I guess I never really thought of it before. I'm also not fully versed in whether or not X was a real sphere.

The biggest surprise to me, though, is the failure to include the Hanseatic trade sphere in Northern Europe.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 1, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TheImmigrant posted:

They were still standard at French universities in the late 90s, when I was a student in Montpellier.

Montpellier is a pretty old university, it's possible they just weren't up to date.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Looks in line with my understanding. I'm a little surprised to see Granada looped in with Mali but I guess I never really thought of it before. I'm also not fully versed in whether or not X was a real sphere.

The biggest surprise to me, though, is the failure to include the Hanseatic trade sphere in Northern Europe.

I think the Hanseatic sphere got dropped out because the map is supposed to be pre-13th century and the Hanseatic League wasn't formally declared until 1358 (though the trade sphere certainly existed long before). It's also lacking the north-south trade link of Scandinavia and II via the Rus et al.

X I think was real - there was a lot of piracy in that region as I recall and you don't get pirates without trade.

Abner Cadaver II fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 1, 2015

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

I like that western europe is number I

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I like that western europe is number I

Why?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
So now toilet talk poopie posts.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 2, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Not really a map per se, but New Zealand is taking entries for what they should change their flag to, and some of them can definitely be considered politically loaded.

https://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-with-government/the-nz-flag-your-chance-to-decide/gallery/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That US one looks like a dystopian nation's flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

computer parts posted:

That US one looks like a dystopian nation's flag.

Well New Zealand is geographically the end of the world, why not vexillologically too?