Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Is Downtown Disney/Disney Springs even that important to people's trips? We went there just to visit the World of Disney Store but I could really care less about anything else that's there. I can't see myself going bowling or watching a movie while I'm on a Disney vacation and there are so many restaurants at the parks and resorts I'm pretty set on that front as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's a good arrival day or rest day filler. There's lot of shopping and some good eats, so people enjoy it. It's also a huge local's spot, if you go no the weekend a huge percentage of the crowd are Orlando teens and young adults. They're also doing an insane amount of construction there, like more than doubling the size of the place, so that will only make it better for people looking for something to do in-between theme parks. We would typically go in the evening after Animal Kingdom closed to eat and look around. The AMC theater there is also fantastic.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
It's usually packed. Imagine it after an overhaul. You think the parks are crowded on holidays.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
DTD talk: last time I was there people were lined up for that water car ride thing.
Edit: here it is http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-story-amphicars-delight-guests-at-disney-springs-20150421-story.html

tomapot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 1, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We went there two nights on our last trip. My 3 year old is obsessed with dinosaurs so we went to T-Rex cafe one night, and another night we went shopping and ate at the nice seafood restaurant there. T-Rex was pretty good, but your standard decent Rainforest cafe food with a nice atmosphere. If not for my son we wouldn't have gone. Fulton's Crab House was great, and the service was beyond amazing. I left a 30% tip and asked to see the manager on the way out so I could give the guy some serious props. I waited tables for about 7 years (started when I was 16) and the guy was just that good.

We did get stuck there, there was a major incident with the buses. I'm not sure if there was an accident, or someone got hit, but basically the bus area was closed for hours, it seriously sucked.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

tomapot posted:

DTD talk: last time I was there people were lined up for that water car ride thing.
Edit: here it is http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-story-amphicars-delight-guests-at-disney-springs-20150421-story.html

Those things are stupidly expensive to ride. Like over $100.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I enjoy DTD. Lots of shopping, earl of sandwich is probably the best value to quality on grounds, that new Boathouse place looks dope, the new Indiana Jones themed bar also looks dope, bongos has great drinks. I could almost spend a whole day there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Earl of Sandwich and the AMC is our go to fun night for cheap date. We do it once or twice a week, can't beat those sandwiches.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I always make DTD the first night of our trip and we book an ADR there then hang at the pool/bar at the resort. It's a good way to get stoked for the vacation you're about to have as you walk around all the Disney Stores and that way you're also not an exhausted person flying and then immediately going to the parks on the same day.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

Wasn't there a WWF restaurant like 15 years ago that was a piece of poo poo?

If I'm thinking of the right one it's WWF New York.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I am known as the Queen of Delayed Reactions for a reason, heh.
Is there a thread for potential employees of Walt Disney World? I passed the Web Based Interview and have an in person interview on July 10th. I would really love some tips on what to expect, what to wear, what my chances are of getting the job and like a million other questions.

This all happened so very fast, I just took the WBI yesterday and was immediately given a list of dates to choose from for the interview. To be honest, I didn't even expect to pass the first interview! I'll be leaving on the 9th and driving all the way from North Alabama. I'm both terrified and so excited I can hardly stand it! I've been trying to get back to the World for 12 years now so if nothing else at least I'll get to visit my beloved Magic Kingdom for a few days :)

Help!! I'm at a point in my life where I actually not only want this more than anything, but I need it. I'm a single Mom with a new Empty Nest and for the last 11 months I've been so unhappy and need to get out of this place. I've wanted to work at Disney World since my first visit when I was 7 years old. It's my Happy Place and there's just nothing here for me anymore.

Sorry to get all EN, but I really really want this job and need a change so badly. I'd appreciate any help or tips anyone could give me. I know the pay is not that great, but at this point all I want is to be happy again and I know if I could be at WDW every day I'd be ecstatic.

Thanks in advance!!

Delayed Reaction fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 2, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
No thread but there are a few CM's that frequent it. What kind of position are you applying for?

It's just like anywhere else, highly competitive for corporate level jobs and you have to bring your A-game depending on what you applied for. Hourly jobs are not hard to get so long as you dunk yourself in fairy dust before the interview, look sharp and give the outward appearance that you ooze Disney magic.

As a former CM my two cents is be excited about what you are about to embark on and you will be fine. Look presentable, don't shop in jean shorts and a MM shirt looking disheveled (don't laugh I have seen people come to interviews in similar shape).

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Question: When do I make a specific room/building request? When I book (oops too late)? Check in online? Check in in person?

I've got POR with a river view and I want to try to get in a building that is close to the bus stops.

GOD WHY IS IT NOT DECEMBER YET

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Delayed Reaction posted:

Is there a thread for potential employees of Walt Disney World? I passed the Web Based Interview and have an in person interview on July 10th. I would really love some tips on what to expect, what to wear, what my chances are of getting the job and like a million other questions.

This all happened so very fast, I just took the WBI yesterday and was immediately given a list of dates to choose from for the interview. To be honest, I didn't even expect to pass the first interview! I'll be leaving on the 9th and driving all the way from North Alabama. I'm both terrified and so excited I can hardly stand it! I've been trying to get back to the World for 12 years now so if nothing else at least I'll get to visit my beloved Magic Kingdom for a few days :)

Help!! I'm at a point in my life where I actually not only want this more than anything, but I need it. I'm a single Mom with a new Empty Nest and for the last 11 months I've been so unhappy and need to get out of this place. I've wanted to work at Disney World since my first visit when I was 7 years old. It's my Happy Place and there's just nothing here for me anymore.

Sorry to get all EN, but I really really want this job and need a change so badly. I'd appreciate any help or tips anyone could give me. I know the pay is not that great, but at this point all I want is to be happy again and I know if I could be at WDW every day I'd be ecstatic.

Thanks in advance!!

When I did my CM application I got approved for interview like the same day I applied. It was crazy.

What role did you apply for? If I remember right the interview process itself was simple. Interviewer was nice and since I was going in for Merchandising I had to pretend sell him a Lotso the Bear doll (his tummy is scratch and sniff like the movie, strawberries!)

I got hired on the spot from there. Merchandising at Frontierland.

Traditions is amazing and probably the best work orientation I've ever had. I've actually used some of the stuff I learned from Traditions to get other jobs (they aren't customers, they are "guests" etc)

Traditions dress is just like you would an interview. It's very professional and it's done like a class. You meet a lot of people, get to learn about Disney, the work environment, take a tour of Magic Kingdom, learn a couple work jokes (EPCOT = Every Paycheck Comes On Thursday)

After that you get your placement with a trainer and get shown the ropes. Such as going to costuming and getting fitted. Funny thing about fittings is that, unless they changed this, the sizes are all mucked up with Disney. So the size you normally wear may not be the size you wear for work. It may be a bigger size or whatever.

There's a ton of stuff I'm missing or forgetting but what I'm saying is that the job is a lot of fun. It's easy to make it feel like a "job" but honestly when you get to make magical moments for guests for a living and make a family happy on their trip it's so much fun.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

Question: When do I make a specific room/building request? When I book (oops too late)? Check in online? Check in in person?

I've got POR with a river view and I want to try to get in a building that is close to the bus stops.

GOD WHY IS IT NOT DECEMBER YET

You can do that during online check in which is available through your MDE account 30 days before you arrive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My wife had to do a pretty intense verbal culinary test with her interviewer, lots of detailed questions about DHEC safety regulations like food storage temps and stuff, as well as prep techniques and various pastry recipes. She wasn't prepared for that but luckily knew it all and did fine, but she said it was intimidating. I guess it all depends on what position your going for, but be prepared for questions related to any skilled labor. Besides that, dress well and arrive an hour beforehand. The traffic getting to Casting is awful right now because of the construction, so give yourself plenty of buffer time. After the interview process they'll give you a date to do traditions (pick the earliest you can if you want to start soon, or you may have to a wait a few weeks for the next spot). Good luck!

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Thanks for all the great information. I'm scared to death! I applied for Attractions, Merchandise, Quick Service. It kind of sucks that it's part time but when I applied I didn't see any full time slots. What is the turn around for starting if I'm offered a job? Is there some kind of cast member accommodations until I could get a place? I'm afraid I'd end up loving my job but being homeless. And I have cats!

I'm not sure how this is all going to work. My trip down is planned, I have hotel reservations (off site-boo!) and 2 day Park Hopper passes. I'm terrified of not getting the job, but I'm also a little scared of how I'm going to pull this off if I do get it. Not very good planning, I know.

Thanks again and if anyone thinks of anything else please let me know. I can't believe I'll be at Disney World in a week :)

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Delayed Reaction posted:

Thanks for all the great information. I'm scared to death! I applied for Attractions, Merchandise, Quick Service. It kind of sucks that it's part time but when I applied I didn't see any full time slots. What is the turn around for starting if I'm offered a job? Is there some kind of cast member accommodations until I could get a place? I'm afraid I'd end up loving my job but being homeless. And I have cats!

I'm not sure how this is all going to work. My trip down is planned, I have hotel reservations (off site-boo!) and 2 day Park Hopper passes. I'm terrified of not getting the job, but I'm also a little scared of how I'm going to pull this off if I do get it. Not very good planning, I know.

Thanks again and if anyone thinks of anything else please let me know. I can't believe I'll be at Disney World in a week :)

Disney basically only hires part time and full time spots are done by union seniority. Depending on the area you request it can take anywhere from like a month to years to get full time. My roommate was a magic kingdom character attendant and waited two years to get full time. I started full time right away since they happened to be hiring full time as concierge when I was looking.

My roommate that started last year basically within like a month or so of interviewing was starting. It's all down to how quickly the spot opens up and traditions spot being open. There isn't any CM accommodations but a lot of complexes in the area offer specials to CMs.

Fortunately most places I've seen allow pets. Not like my college town. It's an extra deposit for us and maybe a bit extra? We have no pets so I'm not sure.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Skeezy posted:

I had to pretend sell him a Lotso the Bear doll (his tummy is scratch and sniff like the movie, strawberries!)

This scares me, I'm not very quick on my feet sometimes and I'm not familiar with a lot of the newer characters and movies. Should I spend the next week researching everything? The other positions are Attractions and Quick Service so I guess there's really no telling what they will be interviewing me for.

I want to make magical moments for guests too :)

I'm not sure what kind of outfit to wear. I know it's going to be hot but I'm assuming a summery dress wouldn't be appropriate? Maybe a skirt and nice blouse, probably something with sleeves? Sorry guys, I'm all over the place because I'm so excited and full of pixie dust right now.

I apologize for hijacking the thread with interview talk!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

How many cats?

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Taima posted:

How many cats?

3. My son was supposed to take his with him when he moved to Illinois for Grad school but that didn't happen. Giving them up is not an option and is really my biggest worry about getting the job and moving to Florida. I've had them all for 12-15 years.

Edit: I just clicked on the job posting on my dashboard and got this message:

The job posting you are looking for has expired or the position has already been filled. If you are interested in one of our other opportunities, please visit our career site.

They wouldn't have me drive all the way to Florida for a position that has already been filled would they?
I don't know where to look but perhaps the job posting expired. Gah, this is all going to drive me crazy

Delayed Reaction fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 2, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Delayed Reaction posted:

This scares me, I'm not very quick on my feet sometimes and I'm not familiar with a lot of the newer characters and movies. Should I spend the next week researching everything? The other positions are Attractions and Quick Service so I guess there's really no telling what they will be interviewing me for.

I want to make magical moments for guests too :)

I'm not sure what kind of outfit to wear. I know it's going to be hot but I'm assuming a summery dress wouldn't be appropriate? Maybe a skirt and nice blouse, probably something with sleeves? Sorry guys, I'm all over the place because I'm so excited and full of pixie dust right now.

I apologize for hijacking the thread with interview talk!

If it makes you feel better I totally bombed it and didn't get better at it until I got how selling stuff kinda works at Disney. It comes with the time there. It's not really up selling or typical retail stuff.

It's not even a job sometimes if you get a lot of good guests and just have fun with them and make memorable experiences. That being said there are those moments where you do meet a bad guest. Tired parents who snap at you. Stuff that makes it feel like boring work. Overall it's a great experience if you make it such.

Another bonus is that the pay is a lot better now. I was getting something like $7.25 /hr and from what I hear from current CM friends it's something like 9+ depending on the area you're in. I'm speaking purely for merchandising. On the flip side of this I have actually gotten higher pay at 2 jobs because Disney was on my resume and the HR person was a fan of Disney lol

Edit. There's also opportunities to be cross trained into other areas. Or to simply work whatever your position is in another Park. It's fun. It really is.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 3, 2015

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Skeezy posted:

If it makes you feel better I totally bombed it and didn't get better at it until I got how selling stuff kinda works at Disney. It comes with the time there. It's not really up selling or typical retail stuff.

It's not even a job sometimes if you get a lot of good guests and just have fun with them and make memorable experiences. That being said there are those moments where you do meet a bad guest. Tired parents who snap at you. Stuff that makes it feel like boring work. Overall it's a great experience if you make it such.

Another bonus is that the pay is a lot better now. I was getting something like $7.25 /hr and from what I hear from current CM friends it's something like 9+ depending on the area you're in. I'm speaking purely for merchandising. On the flip side of this I have actually gotten higher pay at 2 jobs because Disney was on my resume and the HR person was a fan of Disney lol

Edit. There's also opportunities to be cross trained into other areas. Or to simply work whatever your position is in another Park. It's fun. It really is.

Thank you, I'm feeling much better about the whole thing after reading the posts from you all.

I haven't been to Disney World in almost 13 years and I know so much has changed. I'm going to be so excited to just BE there! I have the 2 park hopper passes and I'm already planning what to ride and how to make the most of the time I have there. After I get the interview over with I'm going to spend every second I can in the parks. I'll be going to the Magic Kingdom first and I'll burst into tears the first time I see the castle, as usual :) And even though I'm not staying at a Disney resort, I want a Magic Band. And a Dole Whip. And a turkey leg. And a monorail ride. And a hug from Mickey!! I'd also love to see the Main Street Electrical parade. I wonder if there is a schedule somewhere of things that will be going on when I'm there?

I already know I never want to leave. I also cry when I have to drive away to go home. I hate leaving my Happy Place :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Watch the Festival of Fantasy parade, it's the best by far. Be on Main St USA around 3. There will be a times guide in the park with the maps to see all the show times for everything.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Watch the Festival of Fantasy parade, it's the best by far. Be on Main St USA around 3. There will be a times guide in the park with the maps to see all the show times for everything.

I sure will, thanks!! I'm making a list of everything I absolutely have to do. I'll be exhausted when I get home but it'll be worth it!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Delayed Reaction posted:

Edit: I just clicked on the job posting on my dashboard and got this message:

The job posting you are looking for has expired or the position has already been filled. If you are interested in one of our other opportunities, please visit our career site.

You can always call/email them about it. They do walk up interviews too though, at least they were when my wife did her interview. So if nothing else, you can still try.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Delayed Reaction - Where in Alabama are you? I'm a Mobile native myself.

Also, for everyone else, how bad of an idea is it to go to MK Saturday for the fireworks?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Saw Inside Out last night and nerded out because the Haunted Mansion and theme are in it, as well as Figment in her Imagination Land.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Doronin posted:

Delayed Reaction - Where in Alabama are you? I'm a Mobile native myself.

Also, for everyone else, how bad of an idea is it to go to MK Saturday for the fireworks?

I have friends and family in Mobile! I've lived in North Alabama my whole life. Hint: there are huge rockets everywhere here ;)
I'll bet the 4th of July fireworks are awesome at the MK! If you go let us know how it was!

It still hasn't sunk in that I will be there next week. I'm so excited! I have another interview question. I have a small tattoo on each of my ankles. I'm assuming it would look strange to walk in there with band aids on my legs, haha. Should I wear slacks? Or if I wear a skirt or dress should I just try to cover them with make-up? They are pretty tiny and don't show at all if I have on socks. I just don't know if i need to be concerned with them at the interview.

Thanks again for all of your help and patience with my questions. This has all happened so fast and I sort of feel like I've gone totally crazy.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If the stupid neighbors catty corner from our house did not have a freaking two story home I would have a clear view of MK fireworks but unfortunately there are laws that prohibit me from burning their house down to the ground because it ruins my line of sight. That forces me to take my collapsible chairs and walk 50 yards to the bike path and watch them.

If only a lawyer would take my case.. if we won the lawsuit they could demolish that house once and for all. Good riddance I say!

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
As long as your tattoos are able to covered you'll be fine if you're up front with them.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

demonR6 posted:

If the stupid neighbors catty corner from our house did not have a freaking two story home I would have a clear view of MK fireworks but unfortunately there are laws that prohibit me from burning their house down to the ground because it ruins my line of sight. That forces me to take my collapsible chairs and walk 50 yards to the bike path and watch them.

If only a lawyer would take my case.. if we won the lawsuit they could demolish that house once and for all. Good riddance I say!

Who do those people think they are, totally being all in your way! Maybe the fireworks will land on their roof and burn it down (when no one is at home of course). It's so awesome that you live that close :) I'd be in heaven!

Cais posted:

As long as your tattoos are able to covered you'll be fine if you're up front with them.
I've decided to wear some nice slacks and a blouse so I won't have to worry about covering them up or looking like I had some kind of horrible leg shaving accident.

Does anyone know if the crowds are going to be brutal next weekend?

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Tim Whatley posted:

Saw Inside Out last night and nerded out because the Haunted Mansion and theme are in it, as well as Figment in her Imagination Land.

My daughter and I went to see this with her Aunt. When the music started I said to the Aunt It's the haunted mansion music!! and then my daughter leaned over to me and did the exact same thing. It was good times.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Happitoo posted:

My daughter and I went to see this with her Aunt. When the music started I said to the Aunt It's the haunted mansion music!! and then my daughter leaned over to me and did the exact same thing. It was good times.

I want to see that so bad! I wonder if it's showing somewhere at Disney World? It would be great if it was shown in one of the parks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's at the AMC at Downtown Disney, literally across the street from Casting. They're even using Casting for Downtown parking right now because of construction.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It's at the AMC at Downtown Disney, literally across the street from Casting. They're even using Casting for Downtown parking right now because of construction.

Oh that's great, thanks! We aren't going to a park the first day and I want to locate casting before interview day. That will be perfect!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Delayed Reaction posted:

I have friends and family in Mobile! I've lived in North Alabama my whole life. Hint: there are huge rockets everywhere here ;)
I'll bet the 4th of July fireworks are awesome at the MK! If you go let us know how it was!

Very cool! One of my very closest friends just moved to Huntsville and is loving it up there.

As for fireworks, my wife informed me they had the same show on Friday night so we packed up and drove over for the day. A CM I know told me to expect the park to be at capacity all day on the 4th, so wanted to go now. Anyway, AMAZING fireworks! Best I've ever seen. They did a whole panorama thing with them... just unreal.

Good luck with the interview next week too!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I knew they were doing something special because I could hear the booms for a good 45 minutes. Going to check them out tomorrow night. I don't want to deal with actually going into MK though, any other good viewing locations?

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Doronin posted:

Very cool! One of my very closest friends just moved to Huntsville and is loving it up there.

As for fireworks, my wife informed me they had the same show on Friday night so we packed up and drove over for the day. A CM I know told me to expect the park to be at capacity all day on the 4th, so wanted to go now. Anyway, AMAZING fireworks! Best I've ever seen. They did a whole panorama thing with them... just unreal.

Good luck with the interview next week too!

Thank you, I really love Huntsville. I'm so glad you enjoyed the fireworks! I can't wait to see them next weekend.

Thanks for the good luck. I talked to my son today and he made me feel so much better about this whole adventure. I was freaking out and he is my voice of reason and told me as long as he's known me I've wanted to work at Disney and if anyone can do this, he knows I can :) I'm going to be so stoked if I get the job! Everything else will fall into place, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We went through something similar, my wife had her interview on Fri and had to start on Monday, so we had to find an apartment, high tail it back to SC and load up, and move in all over the weekend. It was crazy stressful, but we found a good place we're happy with and it was all worth it. If you need any apartment referrals or help with anything else just ask when the time comes.