Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Just wait until Vodka appears and kills everyone.

Too late: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Vodka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Kild posted:

Beerus was named after Virus originally but Toriyama didn't know and created Whis and made it so Battle of Gods wasn't a trainwreck. Originally they wanted him to be the amalgamation of the Saiyan's Evilness and the cause of it.

Yeah, I remember that Beerus was also meant to be an actual Eygptian god too. Didn't they basically go to Toriyama with the story treatment and he went "What the gently caress is this? I guess I'll get involved so you guys don't gently caress it up."

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

greatBigJerk posted:

He's Champa, another god like Beerus. Basically Beerus' name is based on beer, and Champa is based on Champagne. Whis could also be considered a play on Whiskey, also explains why he's stronger than Beerus :P. I look forward to the big battle against Moonshine and 151.

Super will end with fighting the Greatest of Gods: Everclear.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 1, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I admit I'm tickled at the mental image of these guys at Toei carefully laying out their design document with concept sketches and bullet points explaining who Virus is when suddenly Toryiama barrels in and says 'no actually this guy is beer and he's my cat'

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
It's better if you imagine "your ideas are terrible. In the next movie Goku will fight Beers the wonder cat and his pal Whiskers aka whiskey." And they all think he's crazy and no one will want to see it.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Girl Whis should have the name "Scotch" or something.

Also one of the gods should be named like "Munshine." Hillbilly God of Destruction, "Munshine."

Oh, right:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/07/01/dragon-ball-super-complete-showcase-event-reveals-series-plot/

Akira Toriyama posted:

“Dragon Ball Super” is a complete continuation of the Majin Buu story arc. It’s got a bit of post-battle aftermath, continues with the “Battle of Gods” arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the “Revival of ‘F'” arc where Freeza comes back to life, and then, I’ve written a strange new story where they finally depart even this universe. They’re fighting against their neighbors, Universe 6! They’ll yell at me if I give away too many spoilers, so I’ll keep the rest a secret, but they’re chasing after giant super Dragon Balls; I think things will unfold in a bright and simple way, that will be really fun and exciting!

Since it’s another universe, loads of new characters will turn up. I’ll do my best to draw the tons of character designs necessary, so I’m looking forward to this too.

You know, it suddenly occurs to me that somewhere along the line the Dragon Ball anime has become quite a huge story. Since I’m the guy who drew the thing, it’s a bit weird for me to say this, but when I first started out I never dreamed it would have a universe as a setting (laughs). Don’t worry though, it’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always. Please be sure to watch Dragon Ball Super on TV!”

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 1, 2015

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Well, that answers that then. I'm curious if the movie arcs are going to be new versions entirely, or more like the four Futurama movies where they just cut the movies down into episodes with maybe a little additional content.

Either way I actually think it's kind of funny, most anime have movie versions of story arcs made after they air on TV not the other way around.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's the reverse of the old movies copying from the series, too.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The big question then is if other universes are wholly alien and different in the DB multiverse (this seems up Toriyama's alley) or if we are actually getting Double Gokus

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vegeta, look out! It's Crack Cocaine!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

what if goku fused with alternate universe never-left-planet-Vegeta kakarot and we got kakaku

then the battle plan will be kakaku's keikaku*.

*keikaku means plan

E: and then they have to come up with a better idea that can be kakaku's kai keikaku

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i can't wait until goku ends up in the universe where arale beat freeza, cell and buu

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...Thinking on it, maybe Champ is the god of destruction from universe 6? In which case, that would seem like a possible precedent that we'd be getting equivalent characters, but not necessarily just straight up the same folks. For a western comparison, it'd be like the Crime Syndicate from DC Comics, where characters are evidently parallels of each other (Superman/Ultraman, Batman/Owlman, etc), but they are not 1:1 opposites (so Ultraman is not Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter).

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

I’ve written a strange new story where they finally depart even this universe. They’re fighting against their neighbors, Universe 6!

Ugh, great, more Bojack.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Astro Nut posted:

...Thinking on it, maybe Champ is the god of destruction from universe 6? In which case, that would seem like a possible precedent that we'd be getting equivalent characters, but not necessarily just straight up the same folks. For a western comparison, it'd be like the Crime Syndicate from DC Comics, where characters are evidently parallels of each other (Superman/Ultraman, Batman/Owlman, etc), but they are not 1:1 opposites (so Ultraman is not Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter).

It would be hilarious if it was revealed Turles (or he show up again) was the Goku from that universe.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
I like how Toriyama keeps saying that it will be easy to understand. It's like he's trying to say that he won't have convoluted bullshit like Naruto or Bleach.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Astro Nut posted:

That means there's a genderswap universe with Girlku and Vageta, and all Namekians have tits.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Synopsis revealed.

Not as excited as I was for the initial announcement anymore, really.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sounds good to me. Wonder what the deal with this new set of Dragon Balls will be.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Astro Nut posted:

That might be neat. Like, there are still Saiyans around but there's no Goku or Vegeta or anyone like that, but there might be some Saiyan Prince or Princess or King or Queen or whatever (President of Saiyans?) who's a sort-of parallel to Veggies. Or maybe Namekians are the big heroes of that universe. Or Frost Demons.

Oh god. What if one universe's equivalent of Goku is some sort of Freeza dude?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
It really is just Toriyama's GT but set in different universes rather than space.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

StrifeHira posted:

That might be neat. Like, there are still Saiyans around but there's no Goku or Vegeta or anyone like that, but there might be some Saiyan Prince or Princess or King or Queen or whatever (President of Saiyans?) who's a sort-of parallel to Veggies. Or maybe Namekians are the big heroes of that universe. Or Frost Demons.

Inetraction between a Saiyan race and Vegate and Goku would be amazing, especially when they figure that not only can they turn into their personal Jesus, they can also turn into double and triple Jesus. And their children can, too.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

StrifeHira posted:

...The franchise has shown a fondness over the last few years of allowing gamers the ability to play as members of Frieza's race in a heroic fashion, so the notion probably does exist in Toriyama's head in some fashion. Whether or not he'd actually go with that of course, is another matter entirely.

Hell, even just a living race of saiyans would probably explain why they'd be fighting characters from the other universe. The saiyans were dicks, imagine if they had actually lasted long enough to have an empire.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If this Universe 6 nonsense is just alternate versions of existing characters or things like "the Saiyans didn't die, Friezas are alive are numerous, I'm off the Super wagon.

e: wording change

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Aurain posted:

If this Universe 6 nonsense is just alternate versions of existing characters or things like "the Saiyans didn't die, Friezas are alive are numerous, I'm off the Super wagon.

e: wording change

I'm hoping they're treating this as an opportunity for completely new stuff. Essentially, all known threats in the Z universe are handled. Frieza was the strongest there was. Dead. Nobody else on Earth is making androids or anything. They had to jump to a loving god to give them a threat. The only other option is looking outside of this universe.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Raxivace posted:

Sounds good to me. Wonder what the deal with this new set of Dragon Balls will be.

You know how the Namekian Dragon Balls are bigger than Earth's set?

It's like that, but in Universe 6.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pyroi posted:

I'm wondering more about who made them, why the Z fighters will be looking for them etc.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
What is universe 6? I see some multiverse comic wiki things but is it an official thing?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

zelah posted:

What is universe 6? I see some multiverse comic wiki things but is it an official thing?

No, it's not an official thing. It's just that Toriyama randomly decided that DB series takes place in Universe 7 so he decided to go the adjacent one: Universe 6. It has nothing to do with Multiverse though Multiverse does have a universe 6.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Pyroi posted:

I hate Universe Six. Tch, I don't even know why we have a Universe Six. Total suck Universe.

Universe Six is jerks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

zelah posted:

Dragon Ball Super is going to Goku and pals to a parallel universe, basically.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Sliders but DBZ could be fun

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Pyroi posted:

Maybe the Dragon Balls will be planets.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Eh...could be worse. It could be just a complete retread of the past arcs where Cell and others keep coming back, like people in this thread were inexplicably clamoring for a few months back

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's because Cell is great. Perfect, even.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I actually could never get that much into Cell, probably due to how I learned of and experienced the series largely out of order. So to me he ends up seeming like a wannabe Frieza mixed with a prototypical Buu, and ultimately not working quite as well as either of those two.

Mind you, his english voice actor is pretty drat :smug:, so he was well cast

KoB
May 1, 2009
Come on, you guys know its just gonna be rear end in a top hat Goku, goodguy Vegeta, somehow-reliable Krillin, musclehead Gohan, and silly Piccolo.

CubeTheory posted:

I hate Universe Six. Tch, I don't even know why we have a Universe Six. Total suck Universe.

Universe Six is jerks.

Im gonna go make my own universe, with blackjack. And hookers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CubeTheory posted:

Universe Six is jerks.

Yeah, but I hear they have chainsaw hands.:v:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Honestly, I'd be fine if Super just turned into DBM.

Edit: You know.. minus Bojack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Let's them just copy the idea of DBM, it's basically what we all want anyway.

efb

• Locked thread