Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Exmond posted:

So i agree that hitman has creepy parts in it (Assassin nuns im looking at you). Now I don't know how to argue this since you haven't seen the video and I don't know if you have played the game. But the footage anita shows is something you would have to go out of the way to do and is penalized in the game.

I just said I played the game. it's very mildly penalized, but from other people's descriptions, you're really missing the point of what she says.

quote:

So she shows parts of the game that a lot of people wouldn't even see, the game doesn't encourage you to do and might be argued that is due to the game engine and the game having strippers in it and not due to some developer/player misogyny. She then puts this over a voice over that makes the player sound like some kind of sexual deviant. I don't think its accurately showing a problem part of the game, especially when there are other examples (Assassin nuns...) or at the very least people who have played the game should be able to point out some flaws in that footage.

How do you think the game has strippers in it if the developer didn't put them there?

Again, this seems like nitpicky criticism that misses the overall point: it is not about individual games, it is about how common this is in games in general. I can think of a ton of totally unnecessary strip clubs in a ton of games. Even leaving aside GTA, where the strip club sequences are so boring I don't get why anyone ever willingly participates in them, there's the Saboteur, Mafia 2, metro last light, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect, Call of Juarez, Morrowind--they're all over the place. In general, the strippers have zero personality and/or are portrayed as total airheads or fuckdolls. I like games, I've never been like "Strip club level, all right!" And they've never been used in any sort of interesting way that I've ever seen, even when it doesn't have the cludgy, awkward-as-gently caress mechanics of GTA and is just a setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015

afeelgoodpoop posted:

This is actually just the current propagandist narrative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cULlU1Lbrcw

That video sums the whole thing up nicely, thanks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Obdicut posted:

The phraseology you have to use--'things you disagree with''--is very weird. Is that just to avoid saying 'sexism'?

What is Sexism will be colored by the person's philosophy. Since Anita is a sex negative feminist, everything that could remotely be sexualized is sexist. Which again, is trivially true, but she stops there so it boils down to things she doesn't like = sexist, so v:shobon:v

I just prefer a more honest characterization without couching it in subjective terms.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Holy poo poo just freeze the screen at :59 when he shows his example of the female protagonists gaming has always had.

He misses the point so hard he leaves orbit.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
He specifically shows their were more female and minority leads in games announced at e3 in 2014 than in 2015, and the narratives being pushed between them being complete opposites.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Obdicut posted:

How do you think the game has strippers in it if the developer didn't put them there?

Again, this seems like nitpicky criticism that misses the overall point: it is not about individual games, it is about how common this is in games in general. I can think of a ton of totally unnecessary strip clubs in a ton of games. Even leaving aside GTA, where the strip club sequences are so boring I don't get why anyone ever willingly participates in them, there's the Saboteur, Mafia 2, metro last light, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect, Call of Juarez, Morrowind--they're all over the place. In general, the strippers have zero personality and/or are portrayed as total airheads or fuckdolls. I like games, I've never been like "Strip club level, all right!" And they've never been used in any sort of interesting way that I've ever seen, even when it doesn't have the cludgy, awkward-as-gently caress mechanics of GTA and is just a setting.

My favorite part in Mass Effect is when you talk to this Asari (note: the blue big titted race) bartender and she basically says "oh yeah all of us go and act as strippers for our first hundred years or so".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

afeelgoodpoop posted:

He specifically shows their were more female and minority leads in games announced at e3 in 2014 than in 2015, and the narratives being pushed between them being complete opposites.

And if you zoom and enhance, you can clearly see that the steel beams were not melted by the burning jet fuel.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Powercrazy posted:

What is Sexism will be colored by the person's philosophy. Since Anita is a sex negative feminist, everything that could remotely be sexualized is sexist.

I haven't seen anything that makes this claim (about the person who you really don't care about but can't stop posting about) true.

quote:

Which again, is trivially true, but she stops there so it boils down to things she doesn't like = sexist, so v:shobon:v

I just prefer a more honest characterization without couching it in subjective terms.

I've been a game dev and I've played games my whole life. Games are chock full of sexism, all over the place. This is hardly a stunning revelation to anyone with the slightest awareness.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Powercrazy posted:

sex negative feminist

You heard this word once and think it gives you intellectual credibility despite the fact you don't know what it means.

If you think condemning sexualized female characters created by males primarily for the enjoyment of other males is an example of being sex negative you are insane.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

What does citing E3 announcements have to do with the overall trend in indie gaming, where most social justice development actually takes place? Isn't this video getting gamergate narratives confused?

Powercrazy posted:

Since Anita is a sex negative feminist,

Can sex negative and sex positive feminist be in the same room without annihiliating each other?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Powercrazy posted:

What is Sexism will be colored by the person's philosophy. Since Anita is a sex negative feminist, everything that could remotely be sexualized is sexist. Which again, is trivially true, but she stops there so it boils down to things she doesn't like = sexist, so v:shobon:v

Please cite your sources that Anita is sex-negative. I'm sure this is easy to do.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

afeelgoodpoop posted:

lol "from 2014 to 2015"

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

computer parts posted:

My favorite part in Mass Effect is when you talk to this Asari (note: the blue big titted race) bartender and she basically says "oh yeah all of us go and act as strippers for our first hundred years or so".

"Hi, I'm a Justicar, we dispense strict, cruel but fair justice according to a strict code that mandates my cleavage be visible at all times". I mean, christ, even for the most austere character they have to have her have enormous globular breasts and be wearing a skimpy outfit. poo poo like that I don't like partially because it breaks my immersion. Why the gently caress would a 'real' Samara dress that way?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Obdicut posted:

"Hi, I'm a Justicar, we dispense strict, cruel but fair justice according to a strict code that mandates my cleavage be visible at all times". I mean, christ, even for the most austere character they have to have her have enormous globular breasts and be wearing a skimpy outfit. poo poo like that I don't like partially because it breaks my immersion. Why the gently caress would a 'real' Samara dress that way?

Wow, looks like you hate agency. :rolleyes:

But seriously, let me dig up the 4chan post where a guy advocates using social justice language to conceal your real beliefs when talking to "SJWs".

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
The narrative seems like just a way for them to try and distance themselves from their grating diversity pushes while saving face, why else would you claim this e3 is good about diversity representation when you lamented at a greater amount of minority representation the year before?

I take it as a good sign that hopefully many of these narrative pushers will pull back on their political campaigns.

Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015
I've happily played both male and female characters in games over the years,

There are some badass both female and male protagonists I've enjoyed playing over the years. Why does anyone care about the gender ratio? What does it matter? People have far too much time on their hands to sit and analyse this stuff. If a game offends you in some way, just don't play it and get on with your life. There are plenty of far more important issues that people could be spending all this energy debating!

edit: I'm intrigued as to what a 'sex-negative feminist' is. This just gets crazier

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nicomo posted:

There are some badass both female and male protagonists I've enjoyed playing over the years. Why does anyone care about the gender ratio? What does it matter? People have far too much time on their hands to sit and analyse this stuff. If a game offends you in some way, just don't play it and get on with your life. There are plenty of far more important issues that people could be spending all this energy debating!

Normal people like to talk, and to think.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

afeelgoodpoop posted:

The narrative seems like just a way for them to try and distance themselves from their grating diversity pushes while saving face, why else would you claim this e3 is good about diversity representation when you lamented at a greater amount of minority representation the year before?

Who are 'them'? People who were wrong about thinking the situation had improved?

quote:

I take it as a good sign that hopefully many of these narrative pushers will pull back on their political campaigns.

Um, given that the amount of minority and female protagonists went down, doesn't that show the problem isn't actually getting any better?

Nicomo posted:

You haven't read the thread, right? These questions have basically already been asked and answered. You're basically saying "Why does sexism matter as long as there is anything non-sexist out there to consume"?

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 1, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Has it occurred to you yet that the near universal scorn and derision you receive when discussing "grating diversity pushes" outside of the safe bubble you've created might suggest that the response to gaming being more inclusive is not as negative as you desire?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

It's more likely that your conclusions are incomprehensible her because your perception is incorrect and you're trying to explain a narrative which by default cannot be coherently explained because nobody shares your basic assumptions about the motivations of groups which they do not even believe exist.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nicomo posted:

It doesn't exactly portray gaming as a mature medium when the very basic level of critical analysis applied to literally every other form of consumable media is so appalling to you.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Has it occurred to you yet that the near universal scorn and derision you receive when discussing "grating diversity pushes" outside of the safe bubble you've created might suggest that the response to gaming being more inclusive is not as negative as you desire?

Their has been a small amount of journalists who did complete 180s on pushing common sjw gaming narratives and took it upon themselves to criticize whatever sudden manifestations occur from it instead. Now, I'm not saying I don't believe a large portion of nerds think that people like me are scum, but I do believe they themselves are not aware how large of a group we are aswell.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Their has been a small amount of journalists who did complete 180s on pushing common sjw gaming narratives and took it upon themselves to criticize whatever sudden manifestations occur from it instead. Now, I'm not saying I don't believe a large portion of nerds think that people like me are scum, but I do believe they themselves are not aware how large of a group we are aswell.

It seems more likely to me that you've just decided that you're starting to get one over on your shadowboxing opponents. Can you show us these articles or whatever?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

afeelgoodpoop posted:

but I do believe they themselves are not aware how large of a group we are aswell.

I tremble at the thought of waking the dreaded silent majority

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Obdicut posted:

I haven't seen anything that makes this claim (about the person who you really don't care about but can't stop posting about) true.

AH HA, I ASKED YOU QUESTIONS ABOUT *THING* AND YOU RESPONDED, WHY DO YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT *THING*

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Can sex negative and sex positive feminist be in the same room without annihiliating each other?

I don't know, but it's a lovely part of feminism because if you truly believe feminism is gender equality, you have to look beyond feminism to determine why in society genders aren't equal. I say it's because of economic coercion supported by class divisions.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Identity politics IS grating.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Powercrazy posted:

AH HA, I ASKED YOU QUESTIONS ABOUT *THING* AND YOU RESPONDED, WHY DO YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT *THING*

I don't know, but it's a lovely part of feminism because if you truly believe feminism is gender equality, you have to look beyond feminism to determine why in society genders aren't equal. I say it's because of economic coercion supported by class divisions.

So hunter-gatherer bands are by definition incapable of sexism?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

You are a walking abomination of half understood philosophy

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powercrazy posted:

I don't think sex-negative feminism is a real thing that actually exists, instead of being a pejorative term that is a backhanded way of calling someone frigid or a prude. I don't see what Anita Sarkeesian's statements on video games have to do with the role of an individual's attitudes towards sex re: feminist politics.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Powercrazy posted:

Okay, captain capslock, there was actually nothing in that post that referenced Anita, so why did you talk about her? Here's the post:

Obdicut posted:

Do you think that having a strip club level is pretty common in games, even non gritty crime drama games?

The phraseology you have to use--'things you disagree with''--is very weird. Is that just to avoid saying 'sexism'?

See? nothing about her, a general question about why you say this weird phrase. And yet you can't help yourself from talking about her and accusing her of being 'sex-negative'. Really, dude, if you didn't realize about yourself maybe take a moment here. I didn't ask you a question about her.

quote:

Why would that result in gender discrimination, given that gender isn't a class or an economic group?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Powercrazy posted:

Can you please define what a sex-negative feminist is and give explicit examples of Anita being one? Or is this another one of your lies?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Obdicut posted:

Why would that result in gender discrimination, given that gender isn't a class or an economic group?

Why can't gender be a class?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It doesn't exactly portray gaming as a mature medium when the very basic level of critical analysis applied to literally every other form of consumable media is so appalling to you.

Games are an important narrative medium, and complex art, so please stop trying to analyze and critique them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Obdicut posted:

Its classic grade-school level Marxism of trying to eliminate any factor that cannot be comprehended as a white male

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Powercrazy posted:

By your definition, are hunter-gatherer bands incapable of being sexist?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nicomo posted:

That was the original controversy that sparked everything off, that the internet went nuts over. I read a bit about that and assumed it had blown over. I had no idea it had morphed this far into an depth intellectual discussion about the place of women in video games. Perhaps I'll read back to see what exactly the big deal is.
Well I mean where did you read or hear that "the original controversy" was about "the obese purple haired chick loving her way up the video game developer hierarchy?" Do you remember? As in what gave you that impression?

Not arguing here, just asking about this point.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

This is actually just the current propagandist narrative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cULlU1Lbrcw

Who What Now posted:

Yes, that is indeed a literal propaganda video meant to demonize people who aren't pro-GamerGate. Great job?

Do you think anyone is actually convinced by biased youtubes that nobody is going to watch? This is the exact style of argumentation that 9/11 conspiracy theorists tried on these forums for years.

Or is your point that this is currently what the conspiracy theory is?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm glad I am not the only one growing exhausted by random youtube rants from dudes on the internet being cited as evidence
I think the video is instructive and informative and can teach us a lot about what the creator and viewers think their movement is about.

I think we can gleam a sense of who they view as a common enemy, characteristics of said enemy, and the reach and power of the enemy.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Can you think of any reasons why there might be disparate reactions to E3 2014 and E3 2015? Adrian Chmielarz, the source of the analysis that most of the video consists of, offered up a few. Why do you think the video did not go into it further?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 1, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I don't think sex-negative feminism is a real thing that actually exists, instead of being a pejorative term that is a backhanded way of calling someone frigid or a prude. I don't see what Anita Sarkeesian's statements on video games have to do with the role of an individual's attitudes towards sex re: feminist politics.

Meh. I'd accept this. But then I question what feminist politics are. If feminism means treating genders as equal, there isn't really much to discuss is there?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Powercrazy posted:

Okay, define 'class' in a way that makes any sense at all that could include gender.

And again:

Obdicut posted:

Okay, captain capslock, there was actually nothing in that post that referenced Anita, so why did you talk about her?

See? nothing about her, a general question about why you say this weird phrase. And yet you can't help yourself from talking about her and accusing her of being 'sex-negative'. Really, dude, if you didn't realize about yourself maybe take a moment here. I didn't ask you a question about her.

Can you actually think about this? You just had an all caps rant about how you were only talking about her because I asked a question about her, but I really didn't. This makes you look pretty crazy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Powercrazy posted:

Meh. I'd accept this. But then I question what feminist politics are. If feminism means treating genders as equal, there isn't really much to discuss is there?

Can you define what, exactly, you think feminism is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Can you define what, exactly, you think feminism is?

• Locked thread