Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
If you're in the middle of fulfilling a bonus with Amex and they put out a new, better promo, is Amex opening to requests to switch to the better promo? I would assume "no," but Amex is so customer friendly for a financial institution that I had to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'd definitely ask.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I've asked and was told no, but I'd ask anyway since there's nothing to lose.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
Now that the Chase Freedom 5% cashback for restaurants ended, is there another card that has good restaurant rewards? I've just been using my Citi DoubleCash but if there was a way to get more that 2% back on the multitude of takeout I consume that would be awesome.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

asur posted:

I've asked and was told no, but I'd ask anyway since there's nothing to lose.

Ive asked online by chat and it took about 30 minutes of me threatening to cancel and asking for a supervisor, but they eventually matched the current promo.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

lmao zebong posted:

Now that the Chase Freedom 5% cashback for restaurants ended, is there another card that has good restaurant rewards? I've just been using my Citi DoubleCash but if there was a way to get more that 2% back on the multitude of takeout I consume that would be awesome.

Use the Amex with grocery bonus to buy gift cards for takeout restaurants from the grocery store.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dead Pressed posted:

Just called discover to try and get the 2% cash back deal for new it customers and was rejected. Spoke to a "supervisor" and everything. They wouldn't budge. Been a customer for 5 years, spending quite a bit of money on their cards with timely payment and I'm at the point I'm ready to drop them completely. Going back to Citi under the double cash card.

I used the internal messaging feature on their website to make the request and it worked just fine. Granted, I've had the card for just under 6 months. 10% back on Amazon!

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
It looks like they are downgrading the Arrival+. It is currently unavailable to apply for, but it will apparently come back with 5% redemption bonus instead of 10%, as well as a $100 minimum for travel redemptions. If you already have the card the existing terms should last until the next time you pay the annual fee.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

THF13 posted:

It looks like they are downgrading the Arrival+. It is currently unavailable to apply for, but it will apparently come back with 5% redemption bonus instead of 10%, as well as a $100 minimum for travel redemptions. If you already have the card the existing terms should last until the next time you pay the annual fee.

Welp, that says to me to GTFO of that card.

OP should note that..... That makes the card go from "cool" to "meh" for long term use.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I never really thought the numbers on the Arrival+ worked out when compared to, say, the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Freedom together, unless you couldn't do your traveling with an airline that you can transfer UR points to. The 2.2% might be better over an incredibly large amount of spending but if you do purchases on the Freedom in the 5% categories you're getting a minimum of 6% (when booking through the UR store) on those purchases. Depending on who you transfer the miles to it can be worth a good deal more.

I guess before you could get a chip and pin version of the CSP the Arrival+ made more sense, but now for purchases in Europe or Canada they're equivalent.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 3, 2015

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

THF13 posted:

Good to know - makes the decision to downgrade at the next annual fee easier. Thanks!

LE
Oct 19, 2002

Desuwa posted:

I never really thought the numbers on the Arrival+ worked out when compared to, say, the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Freedom together, unless you couldn't do your traveling with an airline that you can transfer UR points to. The 2.2% might be better over an incredibly large amount of spending but if you do purchases on the Freedom in the 5% categories you're getting a minimum of 6% (when booking through the UR store) on those purchases. Depending on who you transfer the miles to it can be worth a good deal more.

I guess before you could get a chip and pin version of the CSP the Arrival+ made more sense, but now for purchases in Europe or Canada they're equivalent.

I may be mistaken, but I thought that the CSP was still Chip+Signature, with no fallback to Chip+Pin like the Arrival+ can do?

(I live abroad, and use both cards, and have never been able to do Chip+PIN with the CSP. The Arrival+ can, and is useful at kiosks for things like train tickets.)

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Is there a better no fee card for restaurant spend than that aarp branded one at 3%?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

LE posted:

I may be mistaken, but I thought that the CSP was still Chip+Signature, with no fallback to Chip+Pin like the Arrival+ can do?

(I live abroad, and use both cards, and have never been able to do Chip+PIN with the CSP. The Arrival+ can, and is useful at kiosks for things like train tickets.)

Ah, that was my mistake. I was under the mistaken impression you could call Chase to upgrade to a PIN card but that seems to have been based on old information about upgrading from a card without a chip. I never bothered trying to upgrade mine as I have my Canadian card for when I'm in Canada and don't have any plans to travel to Europe.

I guess the Arrival+ does make some sense. It's honestly hard to find straight information about Chip + PIN in the US because the banks are deliberately vague and only want to talk about their "new" "modern" chip-enabled cards and hide that they have no PIN in a FAQ somewhere. All the blogs give the same boilerplate explanation of why your new card has those funny looking lines on it while glossing over the fact that it's still years behind the rest of the world.

I can, however, get a PIN for my boring old BoA Visa that I keep as a backup - if I needed one on a US credit card badly enough. I'd eat foreign exchange fees but unless I'm spending thousands at unmanned kiosks it'd beat out the Arrival+'s annual fee.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Massasoit posted:

Any no fee chip and pin cards out there with no overseas charge? Doesn't have to be rewards card but that would be cool too.

No, I don't think with Pin. If you can handle just chip+sig there's the Cap 1 quicksilver and BOA americard from the OP.

Another good bonus for the Quicksilver if you use Uber is they are giving 20% back for all Uber charges until April 2016. Pretty sweet deal.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

hbf posted:

No, I don't think with Pin. If you can handle just chip+sig there's the Cap 1 quicksilver and BOA americard from the OP.

Another good bonus for the Quicksilver if you use Uber is they are giving 20% back for all Uber charges until April 2016. Pretty sweet deal.

I have not tried it but BoA does claim to offer chip and PIN cards and should issue PINs on request. https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/faq/emv-chip-card-faq.go

e: Meanwhile, on Capital One's FAQ:

quote:

Good news! Capital One chip cards will be Chip and Signature cards, so there’s no additional PIN to remember.

:fuckoff:

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 4, 2015

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I almost want to say that Barclays is lowering the Arrival+ benefits because they're just about the only card on the entire market that has C+P. They know that they can get away with it because your options are super minimal if you want a card with that feature.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

triple sulk posted:

I almost want to say that Barclays is lowering the Arrival+ benefits because they're just about the only card on the entire market that has C+P. They know that they can get away with it because your options are super minimal if you want a card with that feature.
They also offer C+P on the Aviator and I think on the Haiwaiian Airlines card?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Desuwa posted:

I have not tried it but BoA does claim to offer chip and PIN cards and should issue PINs on request. https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/faq/emv-chip-card-faq.go
BoA is online PIN, which isn't helpful for the places where people want chip and PIN cards (gas stations in france!!!!!!!!!11111).

There is no no-AF, no-FTF, chip & offline PIN card in existence as far as the Internet knows.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Bisty Q. posted:

BoA is online PIN, which isn't helpful for the places where people want chip and PIN cards (gas stations in france!!!!!!!!!11111).

There is no no-AF, no-FTF, chip & offline PIN card in existence as far as the Internet knows.

Most credit cards from Penfed. https://www.penfed.org/credit-card-overview/
They do chip+pin and chip+signature. The cards with good points have relatively high credit requirements but the other cards still have no ftf or annual fee.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Isn't the WF propel also C&P? I only know because I'm thinking about getting one - yes american express boo, but the WF relationship bonuses are nice.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are there any good signup bonuses floating around right now? My Amex plat yearly fee just came due and retentions offered $100 off, but paying $350/year is still tough to swallow. I'm in the Chicago area and hoping to potentially travel internationally in the next year.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Residency Evil posted:

Are there any good signup bonuses floating around right now? My Amex plat yearly fee just came due and retentions offered $100 off, but paying $350/year is still tough to swallow. I'm in the Chicago area and hoping to potentially travel internationally in the next year.

Hold out a little longer.

I waited another 30 days, and they gave me 40,000 points.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pissingintowind posted:

Hold out a little longer.

I waited another 30 days, and they gave me 40,000 points.

Already canceled. :(

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Residency Evil posted:

What's your current balance in different points programs, what part of the world do you want to go to, and do you care about premium cabins?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pig slut lisa posted:

What's your current balance in different points programs, what part of the world do you want to go to, and do you care about premium cabins?

I'm at 15k or so in Amex MR and 10k or so in BA Avios, so nothing high. Thinking about taking a trip to Istanbul or maybe France. Premium cabin would be nice but not required.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Dead Pressed posted:

Just called discover to try and get the 2% cash back deal for new it customers and was rejected. Spoke to a "supervisor" and everything. They wouldn't budge. Been a customer for 5 years, spending quite a bit of money on their cards with timely payment and I'm at the point I'm ready to drop them completely. Going back to Citi under the double cash card.

Vox Nihili posted:

I used the internal messaging feature on their website to make the request and it worked just fine. Granted, I've had the card for just under 6 months. 10% back on Amazon!

Well, after hearing that the Arrival+ might be downgraded, and signing my wife up for the double cash card, I'd like to keep discover as my backup (have a $30k limit with them...) so I thought I'd give instant chat a try. After threatening to leave again the rep went ahead and offered up the promotion after about 10 minutes. Worth the hassle, but really miffed right now that I had to ask again. It'd be easier to just sign up for a new card and have the perk just given to me than beg to have them given to my cemented vendor. You'd think it'd be a better deal just give the promotion to someone who spends tens of thousands a year than risk losing them to a competitor for any length of time, but I guess not.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

lampey posted:

They do chip+pin and chip+signature. The cards with good points have relatively high credit requirements but the other cards still have no ftf or annual fee.

Penfed has membership restrictions, so they don't count in my book. Although it looks like they've gone the LMCU route of offering a "pay a bribe to some random charity and we'll let you in" option, so that's good to know. (The fee is $14/$15 depending on which organization you want to join.)

They do appear to be offline PIN backup cards though (so signature first, PIN if the signature isn't accepted).

Here is a list of known No-AF, no-FTF, offline-PIN cards: https://www.spotterswiki.com/emv/cardsearch.php?feature%5B%5D=af&feature%5B%5D=ftf&feature%5B%5D=offline_pin&type%5B%5D=credit

Note that they're all credit unions with membership restrictions, though some of those are apparently gameable.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 5, 2015

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Is the Amex PR Gold good again after the improvements they made? I have an EveryDay card and kind of fell off being interested in using them as it seemed like their MR points weren't super useful, but I'm most interested in being able to transfer MR points to Avios ones and it seems like they do that. They boosted the AF to $195 from $175, but also added a $100 airline credit and 2x points for restaurants. No FTF now, too.

The only other cards I was looking at were the AAdvantage Executive, Prestige, and Premier through Citi, which are $450/450/95 respectively, and it seems like while they have good signup bonuses that the way you book the hotels and flights through the latter two with ThankYou points is weird/kinda crappy, and they also have a worse selection of airline partners. I have a really long-standing but awful card through them that I'd prefer to have at least some value and someone I spoke to said I could convert it to pretty much any of them, but I'd lose out on the bonus, so it'd probably just be easiest to use the Double Cash if anything.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Anyone getting anything special from Arrival+ retentions? I'm seriously looking to downgrade that card but if they sweetened the pot somehow I wouldn't mind.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

lampey posted:

Correct, my PenFed platinum rewards visa (5x pump gas, 3x grocery) is both no AF/no FTF and is chip and pin.

JohnCompany posted:

Isn't the WF propel also C&P? I only know because I'm thinking about getting one - yes american express boo, but the WF relationship bonuses are nice.

Yes, I have this one as well and it is C&P.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Looks like the Citi Executive / AAdvantage card has a new deal. Still $450/annually, but now you get 75k miles for $7,500 spend in first 3 months. $7500 is a lot for me, so I'm going to pass, but apparently a lot of people rate this card pretty highly.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/...oryId=undefined

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

dexter6 posted:

Looks like the Citi Executive / AAdvantage card has a new deal. Still $450/annually, but now you get 75k miles for $7,500 spend in first 3 months. $7500 is a lot for me, so I'm going to pass, but apparently a lot of people rate this card pretty highly.

I was strongly considering that card, but I don't know if I'd be able to fly enough to make it completely worthwhile. I just applied for the CSP since it's been #1/#2 in every list for a while now and was approved, so there's my replacement for the Arrival+ which I'll probably end up downgrading. It's really a shame because I love having the PIN.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

triple sulk posted:

I was strongly considering that card, but I don't know if I'd be able to fly enough to make it completely worthwhile. I just applied for the CSP since it's been #1/#2 in every list for a while now and was approved, so there's my replacement for the Arrival+ which I'll probably end up downgrading. It's really a shame because I love having the PIN.

If having the offline PIN is necessary there are some cards that offer chip and offline PIN without an annual fee but with foreign transaction fees. If you're only spending a few hundred, at most, a year at places that require offline PIN it comes out ahead of the cheapest annual fee/no FTF cards. Though at that point I'd probably just withdraw some euros from an ATM; my checking account reimburses those ATM fees and has no FTF.

Between the CSP and the Freedom I think they come out enough ahead of the Arrival+ in terms of rewards that I still definitely pick them first, then a FTF/no annual fee card with offline PIN if necessary. If you don't want to juggle the multiple cards the Arrival+ probably is the best card to have, even if they downgrade it to only a 5% bonus for travel.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Desuwa posted:

If having the offline PIN is necessary there are some cards that offer chip and offline PIN without an annual fee but with foreign transaction fees. If you're only spending a few hundred, at most, a year at places that require offline PIN it comes out ahead of the cheapest annual fee/no FTF cards. Though at that point I'd probably just withdraw some euros from an ATM; my checking account reimburses those ATM fees and has no FTF.

Between the CSP and the Freedom I think they come out enough ahead of the Arrival+ in terms of rewards that I still definitely pick them first, then a FTF/no annual fee card with offline PIN if necessary. If you don't want to juggle the multiple cards the Arrival+ probably is the best card to have, even if they downgrade it to only a 5% bonus for travel.

In the last 24-48 hours I coincidentally had called and converted my Slate to a Freedom, so I'll have that too. I don't absolutely 100% need the PIN so much as it's a very nice-to-have for things like kiosks (ones for Heathrow Express tickets, for example). I have to sign for anything else anyway since even the Arrival+ never used the PIN unless it was absolutely needed.

I still have to look more closely, but it seems like Visa Signature and MasterCard World Elite benefits are pretty similar overall?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

triple sulk posted:

Is the Amex PR Gold good again after the improvements they made? I have an EveryDay card and kind of fell off being interested in using them as it seemed like their MR points weren't super useful, but I'm most interested in being able to transfer MR points to Avios ones and it seems like they do that. They boosted the AF to $195 from $175, but also added a $100 airline credit and 2x points for restaurants. No FTF now, too.

No, it isn't, unless you buy a shitload of airfare (3X MR). Also, they're nerfing the avios conversion and making it 5:4 instead of 1:1 later this year.

quote:

I still have to look more closely, but it seems like Visa Signature and MasterCard World Elite benefits are pretty similar overall?
They're almost carbon copies of each other, yes.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

dexter6 posted:

It's admitably harder than it used to be, but you can have a lot of fun with 75k AA miles.

Anyway, the card includes an Admirals Club membership, which includes two guests and can be used even if you're flying another airline. It also has the ability to earn EQM, which is helpful if you're trying to attain some of frequent flier status with AA. If neither of those interest you, this card is probably not for you long term.

Bisty Q. posted:

They're almost carbon copies of each other, yes.
No, World Elite offers a lot more premium travel benefits, if you actually care to take advantage of them. (Most people don't.)

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/find-card-products/credit-cards/world-elite.html

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 6, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That's a nice card, but even with admiral's club and EQM (though 10k for $40k spend isn't that amazing), it doesn't seem worth it compared to amex or similarly priced cards.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I'm at 15k or so in Amex MR and 10k or so in BA Avios, so nothing high. Thinking about taking a trip to Istanbul or maybe France. Premium cabin would be nice but not required.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I was kind of thinking of a PRG because of the signup bonus but it looks like the 50k one is expired. Would one of the United cards be decent since I'm close to Chicago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Residency Evil posted:

Anyone have thoughts on this? I was kind of thinking of a PRG because of the signup bonus but it looks like the 50k one is expired. Would one of the United cards be decent since I'm close to Chicago?

If you haven't gotten the CSP yet go for that. Higher signup bonus and you can transfer to United. You could apply for the United one after you hit the minimum on the CSP. That will give you 70,000 miles minimum, which covers the 60,000 required for an economy saver roundtrip.

I don't know anything about finding/booking with United miles fwiw but this will give you a good bank of points.