Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
It helps that the tunnel boss makes a save every time you do damage unlike the Cloudburst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Worst part of it for me was the goddamn Cloudburst Tank fight, as I'm sure was the case for a lot of other people, followed closely by the sequence immediately before it with the eight zillion Cobra tanks.

Everything else, like the final Riddler race where he decides to cheat and control the goddamn mechanisms, only took me a few tries. I didn't even find the drill tank fight all that difficult, once I figured out how to do it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Do you guys destroy the cobra tanks first? I did that and it only took me three tries in all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cloudburst was weird. Like at first I broke off all four of the coolants and got into the phase where you have to break the front and died and it restarted me at the coolants, then I did it again it restarted me at the last phase of the fight and I don't know why it didn't do that the first time.

Kurtofan posted:

Do you guys destroy the cobra tanks first? I did that and it only took me three tries in all.

I did that on my first try because I knew there was no way in hell I was making it through that fight without being 1 on 1 with the tank and not 8 on 1.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ymgve posted:

Anyone else immediately feel that something was odd during the Oracle "suicide" scene? There was no blood or gore after it happened, and the whole mood of that scene seemed odd.

There's a big hint that happens in that scene: Joker pushes the gun to Oracle. Joker's a hallucination and so far has been unable to interact with physical objects. So the gun's not real. So Oracle wasn't real in the suicide scene.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I finished the story and there's two assholes left to put away but I've had it with Riddler puzzles and I'm not going flying around looking for burning bat symbols just to unlock a bunch of challenges I don't like. I'll just youtube the endings. It was a fun game though. Batmobile was great, apart from the tunnel boss which I see isn't very popular, and one little thing that really pissed me off in the Deathstroke fight. The loving thing kept going to non-lethal rounds because of the assholes in cars getting in the way.

I think the number of Riddler things might actually be okay in this, but the series as a whole has burnt me out on them. Asylum's were good, there were too many in City (but some were good), and I never finished Origins.

Story was alright. But really all the stories are in this series for me are excuses for Batman to be locked away with a bunch of villains and their mooks. Oh, and I got a bit sick of the Knight and Scarecrow and everybody else declaring victory every time I kicked their asses.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I really don't understand people having that much trouble with the drill boss.

Just park yourself in front of one of the tunnels, wait for him to see you (or shoot him to get his attention if he doesn't see you) then haul rear end through the tunnel.

The only way I can see you having trouble is if you're poo poo at the driving.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Veotax posted:

I really don't understand people having that much trouble with the drill boss.

Just park yourself in front of one of the tunnels, wait for him to see you (or shoot him to get his attention if he doesn't see you) then haul rear end through the tunnel.

The only way I can see you having trouble is if you're poo poo at the driving.

The driving-on-the-walls thing is pretty easy to gently caress up, but that's really the only source of difficulty for that boss fight.

I'm trying to think of a boss fight in this game that I actually liked, but I can't think of one. :(

Riddler seems pretty good, but I'm only like a quarter of the way there.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fair enough, my brain stops working as soon as I go upside-down, so I try to only go as far up walls as I need to.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Veotax posted:

Fair enough, my brain stops working as soon as I go upside-down, so I try to only go as far up walls as I need to.

Do it in first person.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Wow I got to 96% completion (Only a mere 173 Riddler things left[gently caress that]) without ever getting one of the gadgets. I looked it up and apparently there's a freeze thing in the movie studios that you never even need to use. I was wondering when that spot in the gadget/upgrade menus was going to get filled and then just forgot about it after a while.

I guess that's cool that there's a gadget you only use if you want to.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Seymour Buttz posted:

Wow I got to 96% completion (Only a mere 173 Riddler things left[gently caress that]) without ever getting one of the gadgets. I looked it up and apparently there's a freeze thing in the movie studios that you never even need to use. I was wondering when that spot in the gadget/upgrade menus was going to get filled and then just forgot about it after a while.

I guess that's cool that there's a gadget you only use if you want to.

That's a thing. I didn't get the freeze grenade until post-game and that's because I needed it for a few riddler trophies. Otherwise it's completely unnecessary. And that's weird for Batman gadgets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would not be surprised, if especially due to the Kotaku thing above, if Rocksteady just overreached and had to cut stuff to get the game out even after the huge delay. There's a lot of little things in the game which hint to me that they intended more in-depth stuff they couldn't do. That would also explain why certain side-missions are so absurdly half-assed. HUSH

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

McDragon posted:

I'm not going flying around looking for burning bat symbols just to unlock a bunch of challenges I don't like.

get a map online for these there's only like 4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doesn't the game like straight-up tell you at predetermined intervals when certain sidequests are updated if you don't do them? Like, I never found a single one of Azrael's burning bat symbols because I didn't care to look, but I still got them all anyway because the game pointed me directly to them from the sidequests menu.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

Doesn't the game like straight-up tell you at predetermined intervals when certain sidequests are updated if you don't do them? Like, I never found a single one of Azrael's burning bat symbols because I didn't care to look, but I still got them all anyway because the game told me directly about them from the sidequests menu.

yes but if you want to do those missions and you're tired of looking in vain and the game isn't taking pity on you on your schedule it sucks compared to pulling up a map and doing them all in one sitting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Doesn't the game like straight-up tell you at predetermined intervals when certain sidequests are updated if you don't do them? Like, I never found a single one of Azrael's burning bat symbols because I didn't care to look, but I still got them all anyway because the game told me directly about them from the sidequests menu.

The game updates with intel over time but it's not entirely clear what causes it beyond time. I've had several quests update with intel in a row and Azrael remained uninteled for a huge time. It MAY be connected to taking down drones so the GCPD can investigate again but I can't say for sure.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kurtofan posted:

My deaths from that section usually came from getting cornered while the Cloudburst was in its "you shot my coolant tank now it's time to loving chase you down at max speed and fire missiles everywhere" phase.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lots of my deaths come from the batmobile being rear end to use and thrown into situations where you game over if you clip the corner of a building making a turn.

ImpAtom posted:

The game updates with intel over time but it's not entirely clear what causes it beyond time. I've had several quests update with intel in a row and Azrael remained uninteled for a huge time. It MAY be connected to taking down drones so the GCPD can investigate again but I can't say for sure.

first thing i did was take out all drones and they still never updated anything for me fast enough.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CharlestonJew posted:

My deaths from that section usually came from getting cornered while the Cloudburst was in its "you shot my coolant tank now it's time to loving chase you down at max speed and fire missiles everywhere" phase.

Worth noting: The later similar (optional) boss does not require you to constantly run away and hide like the cloudburst does. You just have to dodge its shots.

Real hurthling! posted:

lots of my deaths come from the batmobile being rear end to use and thrown into situations where you game over if you clip the corner of a building making a turn.
If you hit a corner, immediately switch to tank and use your dash to get around the corner and switch back to not-tank. I don't understand the difficulty people are spouting off about the batmobile

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

So, uh, still trying to collect all the Riddler audio logs but is Pyg's "Mother" still Talia al'Ghul in this continuity?

Because holy poo poo, Pyg. :stonk:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

If you hit a corner, immediately switch to tank and use your dash to get around the corner and switch back to not-tank. I don't understand the difficulty people are spouting off about the batmobile

congrats on being good at the worst batman game.

VVV

it would be fine if they didn't think of new bizarre camera angles to subject you to during the fiddliest parts.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 1, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Batmobile's controls are very slippery and imprecise unless you're in tank mode, but to be honest it's not such a big deal that it spoils the whole Batmobile for me, you just have to learn to work around the slipperyness.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Real hurthling! posted:

VVV

it would be fine if they didn't think of new bizarre camera angles to subject you to during the fiddliest parts.

Congrats on being bad on it for no reason, I guess?

Arkham Knight is actually good and fun. I was skeptical about the Batmobile when they announced it would be part of the game because I thought it would suck, but once I understood how it wanted me to drive it I had little trouble.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CharlestonJew posted:

I must have lucked out because I think I only died once to that phase. I think I sniped him from the upper level or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Real hurthling! posted:

VVV

The camera inexplicably not following you or jumping around during jumps is incredibly annoying and I'm not sure why they thought it would be more exciting to watch from such angles.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I would not be surprised, if especially due to the Kotaku thing above, if Rocksteady just overreached and had to cut stuff to get the game out even after the huge delay. There's a lot of little things in the game which hint to me that they intended more in-depth stuff they couldn't do. That would also explain why certain side-missions are so absurdly half-assed. HUSH

I guess that explains the huge glut of DLC they have to get through as well as the pathetic challenge map variety. I'm sure once we get 6 new villains plus the gotham city stories plus batgirl plus actual fight/predator maps it will be the best batman but it's still a shame they had so much trouble making this. for what it's worth, it looks ridiculously good on consoles.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am looking forward to paying 6.99 for stuff that was in all the previous Arkham games by the boatload for free re: challenge maps

edit: No wait, what I meant was that actually that sucks and I'm not looking forward to it. My bad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Real hurthling! posted:

the worst batman game.

It's not even the worst Arkham game.

CJacobs posted:

I am looking forward to paying 6.99 for stuff that was in all the previous Arkham games by the boatload for free re: challenge maps

edit: No wait, what I meant was that actually that sucks and I'm not looking forward to it. My bad.

That's not really true. The Arkham games usually only had like 4 or 5 actual challenge maps and then EXTREME versions where they add some electric sticks. I want more challenge maps, but I won't act like the games usually gave us more. And stuff like Deathstroke, Robin, Nightwing, and Catwoman was always DLC. Just buy the Season Pass.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

CJacobs posted:

Most of the characters and about a third of the maps in City were DLC.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Consider the following: the challenge mode stuff in previous Arkham games didn't suck. I don't want to have to pay in order to get challenge mode stuff that doesn't suck.

edit: Also, base game Arkham City came with like 15 challenge maps (predator and combat), extreme ones excluded.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the big problem I have with the challenge maps in Knight is that they're not consistent.

The challenge maps in Arkham City gave you access to 'simplified' versions of almost everything in the game. Both Combat and Predator Rooms covered almost everything meaningful in the game.

In Knight you have a weird-rear end mix. You don't have the double predator room, you don't have access to a Catwoman/Batman-themed Riddler Robot challenge room, you don't have access to Robin at all as near as I can tell, and the combat challenges you have are a weird mix of enemies and gimmicks.

The combat and predator challenge rooms you have in Arkham Knight just feel weird and inconsistent even by the terms of the base game. Even just having Duo Room: Robin and Batman and Duo Room: Catwoman would make it feel less weird.

It's also pretty lame not to have the other playable characters playable on their own in challenge rooms. I don't mind them being limited to challenge rooms but Robin/Catwoman/Nightwing should be playable without being tied to the Bat.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 1, 2015

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I've been making really good progress on the Riddler,only one thing left on Bleake Island. Thing is,it's this weird-rear end trophy in this underground area with 3 "?" targets protected by a force field,with a Batmobile power-up winch next to it.

I thought I could just EMP the force field and get up there with a remote Batarang,but that only hits one target and using the EMP again resets it. Any advice from Goons who have done it?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Even just having Duo Room: Robin and Batman and Duo Room: Catwoman would make it feel less weird.

What i want is co-op predator rooms with like 30+ bad guys to take down. Ideally with them all on it at once but if they have have to come in on waves of 10 to 15 i'm cool with that. Just gimmie mass co-op predator action. Duo is cool too i guess but it would be nice to have a co-op coordinated option like the AC: Unity multiplayer.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

VolticSurge posted:

I've been making really good progress on the Riddler,only one thing left on Bleake Island. Thing is,it's this weird-rear end trophy in this underground area with 3 "?" targets protected by a force field,with a Batmobile power-up winch next to it.

I thought I could just EMP the force field and get up there with a remote Batarang,but that only hits one target and using the EMP again resets it. Any advice from Goons who have done it?

I haven't done any trophies but does batmobile missile lock onto them?

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

Do the EMP, then eject from that car and do the line launcher perch so that you stay above it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It's super bullshit that loving Azreal gets his own AR Challenge and Robin & Catwoman don't get jack poo poo. Who cares about a Ren Fair reject when we coulda had nonstop team-up action?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Medium Cool posted:

Do the EMP, then eject from that car and do the line launcher perch so that you stay above it.

I was really loving proud of myself for figuring this one out. The spinny thing in the TV studio is baffling me though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Crowetron posted:

It's super bullshit that loving Azreal gets his own AR Challenge and Robin & Catwoman don't get jack poo poo. Who cares about a Ren Fair reject when we coulda had nonstop team-up action?

This probably has to do with the relative ease with which the Azrael fight could be pulled out of the game's narrative compared with the other two. It also sounds like the dual mode combat events were built individually such that they couldn't be easily generalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Medium Cool posted:

I'll try that,but it doesn't seem to work while I'm gliding or otherwise midair.

• Locked thread