Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tonetta posted:

I do not.

noooooooo

quote:

If you intend to play the deck, get ready to lose a lot. It's one of the most difficult decks to run optimally, even the best players make mistakes constantly.

I've heard as much, but it's super-interesting to me so hopefully I can take the beginner's lumps in stride. It can't be any worse than trying to play Dredge in a FLGS meta of graveyard hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I feel the need to buy one of these.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Roshambo posted:

I guess, but it's going to be turn 5 before it untaps and you can use it as a 2/4 flyer.

E: It's probably really good against thopters.

Sure, but if you're attacking with it every turn it's only dealing 1 less damage than wind drake would and if it gets famous (and sometimes even if it doesn't) it's stellar on defense too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There are a TON of just big green dummies in this set...

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

There are very few enchantments to go with all these cool enchantment cards

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

At least Serra Spider v.2 is uncommon.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Surprise the Spring 2016 set is return to Theros

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Is courser not good enough anymore?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

dragon enthusiast posted:

Surprise the Spring 2016 set is return to Theros

nah we're going back to innistrad. dragon set left the angel lovers feeling neglected. need to give casuals more angels

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I mean in limited

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

I feel the need to buy one of these.

:getin:

I keep meaning to and forget that I bookmarked the website.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
6/6 vigilance reach for 6 at uncommon? Have fun with that, Thopter deck.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

6/6 vigilance reach for 6 at uncommon? Have fun with that, Thopter deck.

Yeah that card is easily a first-pickable uncommon in any format that isn't Zendikar fast.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Chill la Chill posted:

I think he's talking Limited. I don't think we've seen that many (Un)Common enchantments yet.

2 so far in every color except Red which has 1.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm still holding out for BU zombies being the most fun archetype.

(Weird pet peeve of mine; I never liked the word thopter)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

it is in the mail!!!! thx

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I was gonna post about how fleshbag is a great word, then I saw that it was a reprint, then I saw the old giant frowny face art, now I'm sad we aren't getting that.

Ignorance is bliss, folks.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

bhsman posted:

Yeah, but it's in a color that encourages or even needs to put more lands in play. Debating whether or not this is good with Amulet Bloom (particularly if they feel like Hive Mind should be banned).
Just because a card is green and costs more than 4 mana does not mean it belongs in bloom titan. Can we please stop saying this?
If bloom titan really wanted this effect, Avenger if Zendikar is way higher impact.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Grove of the Burnwillows more expensive than Taiga. What a world haha

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Man I'm glad I hate RG Tron. Jesus.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

LOL. Modern prices. I still have a god ugly FTV one I want to trade for a regular one :(

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Jeez how necessary are they for the deck? I get why they're good in that deck but would running stomping grounds be that much of a downgrade? My friend has u tron and was thinking of picking up the pieces he needed for r/g but don't think he'll bite at $250+ for a playset of willows.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pontius Pilate posted:

Jeez how necessary are they for the deck? I get why they're good in that deck but would running stomping grounds be that much of a downgrade? My friend has u tron and was thinking of picking up the pieces he needed for r/g but don't think he'll bite at $250+ for a playset of willows.

I played the deck with Karplusan Forest and it was fine. Grove is a straight up Dual in that deck since their life is irrelevant.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pontius Pilate posted:

If I didnt have my set I would run Karplusan Forest over stomping grounds. But Groves are the best dual land for the deck by far.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

We're definitely missing some pieces of the puzzle, this is such an archetype-based set that it's hard to really judge until you know every relevant common/uncommon. We do already known some common enchantments though- weight of the underworld, grasp of the heiromancer, and infernal scaring. Blood Cursed knight is going to wear auras very well.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Oh yeah forgot about the ol' pain lands somehow. What this really means is that they need to finish off the grove cycle and horizon canopy cycle.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

Evolutionary 1G
Enchantment
G, Sacrifice a creature: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. Put that card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Seems like a riff on Survival of the Fittest. Not nearly as good of course, but SOTF is just busted so there's that.

Damnit they really need to get this card up for preorders already. :homebrew:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This set looks kind of fun to draft

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This set looks kind of fun to draft

We found it.

We found out the exciting part of Origins.

It's a core set that looks fun to draft!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

some of the other core sets have been excellent to draft though :confused:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

We found it.

We found out the exciting part of Origins.

It's a core set that looks fun to draft!

How soon we forget M13

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

some of the other core sets have been excellent to draft though :confused:

I'm probably just remembering M14 being boring as poo poo, then.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The core set with Foresee and Squadron Hawks loving ruled to draft. I personally have 50+ preordains and foresees just from drafting. That was before I just started giving them to kids at FNM.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I'm probably just remembering M14 being boring as poo poo, then.

How can you be bored with a format that lets you draft Elixir of Immortality control?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
M15 was cool to draft.

I never did M14 but elixir + opportunity was fun to watch.

M13 was OK, from what I remember, but I didn't play that much of it. Neferox was some big bag of bullshit to go against though.

M12 was not very fun to me.

M11 was fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bugsy posted:

M15 was cool to draft.

What did you like about it?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pontius Pilate posted:

Oh yeah forgot about the ol' pain lands somehow. What this really means is that they need to finish off the grove cycle and horizon canopy cycle.

The Grove cycle would be too powerful. They'd be Ally lands so imagine a control deck in any format with access to untapped U/W and/or U/B duals with a, mostly irrelevant to them, "downside."

The Canopy cycle might be OK to do though.

Maybe they could do Groves as a Red version of the Tainted Lands where they only exist as R/X. Or maybe they'd be G/X instead. That might, maybe be OK but I don't know if they're willing to do not-quite-cycles like that now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The Core Sets have mostly just been "there" for me. I'm not sad at all to see them go and nothing about Origins disabuses me of that attitude.

Cernunnos posted:

The Grove cycle would be too powerful. They'd be Ally lands so imagine a control deck in any format with access to untapped U/W and/or U/B duals with a, mostly irrelevant to them, "downside."

The Canopy cycle might be OK to do though.

Maybe they could do Groves as a Red version of the Tainted Lands where they only exist as R/X. Or maybe they'd be G/X instead. That might, maybe be OK but I don't know if they're willing to do not-quite-cycles like that now.

They're just one off cards anyways, the fact you could make a similar card for every color doesn't mean its a cycle. I mean, technically, the Sword cycle is incomplete because we don't have Allied ones but that isn't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Rinkles posted:

What did you like about it?

TriplicateSpirits.dec was great for the first weeks when nobody at my store was drafting it because making big piles of tokens is extremely my poo poo. Then everyone figured out how good it was and half the table was always fighting over white so I got to play the Coral Barrier+Stormtide Leviathan deck a bunch instead.

• Locked thread