Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

If I give my notice today, is it okay to say my last day will be next Friday, the 10th? So I would finish up this week and next week. Or does it really need to be exactly two weeks? I'm going to be out on the 13th anyway, though I haven't submitted my PTO yet (very last minute trip that was booked).

Im A Lime fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You make your last effective day the 13th and then still take your vacation day as previously planned.

Just talk to your manager or HR about how they'd prefer it, but make it clear that the 10th will be your last day.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
So I had to edit my resume in a hurry without InDesign (my main computer is in a box, currently on my laptop) and looked at this thread just because gently caress it, why not? Saw it while cruising other threads in this subforum.

People, if you're not reading the op you're missing out. My resume was loving terrible, as in I literally broke every loving rule in the op. No wonder I couldn't find a loving job with this poo poo resume! I fixed that garbage, wish me luck!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cheers, interview at local Microcenter for customer service representative. Time to go and practice before this afternoon. Resume looks better this time around.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to give a general 'thank you' to everyone in this thread; had a great interview today with a pretty prominent university in my area that I think went well (administrative position, not academic). There was only one question I had to ask for time to think about, and just about every question I was able to respond to with an example of how my response was able to help my job performance going forward or specifics of how it would help me for the position I was interviewing for. We reviewed salary requirements and on the way out we stopped and she showed me the office for the position I was interviewing for and where the rest of the positions were located within the office, which I'm taking as a good sign :) Two weeks or so until a final decision, which is a bit nerve-wracking (her supervisor is on vacation and the week after next she's going to be out of state at a conference).

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010
Ok, it's time to ask for help...

I haven't had much luck with my resume, after finishing my Master degree abroad and coming back to my country. I have had a few unsuccessful interviews and a low reply rate to my applications. The main problem I have, I think is the fact that my work experience is too focused on being a certain type of professional services consultant, despite having a broad education. No one seems to be able to see past that and imagine me in a different position, even my Master degree hasn't helped with that. I think in the past I was too passive and indecisive and know I've cornered myself against a wall.

It also doesn't help that in this country almost all of the positions above entry level are about Sales / biz development or Financial analysis, which I have studied but have no experience in. Many jobs that I apply to are kind of an enigma to me, because I simply have never worked in those environments. Therefore it's hard for me to assert and sell myself well in some interviews, it's hard to think of transferable skills.

Any feedback / very specific interview tips are welcome.

Tony_Montana fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 9, 2015

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tony_Montana posted:

Ok, it's time to ask for help...

I haven't had much luck with my resume, after finishing my Master degree abroad and coming back to my country. I have had a few unsuccessful interviews and a low reply rate to my applications. The main problem I have, I think is the fact that my work experience is too focused on being a certain type of professional services consultant, despite having a broad education. No one seems to be able to see past that and imagine me in a different position, even my Master degree hasn't helped with that. I think in the past I was too passive and indecisive and know I've cornered myself against a wall.

It also doesn't help that in this country almost all of the positions above entry level are about Sales / biz development or Financial analysis, which I have studied but have no experience in. Many jobs that I apply to are kind of an enigma to me, because I simply have never worked in those environments. Therefore it's hard for me to assert and sell myself well in some interviews, it's hard to think of transferable skills.

Any feedback / very specific interview tips are welcome.

http://s0.docspal.com/files/processed/46/7984446-tbubgotn/CV_-eng%20SA.doc
Your resume is so incredibly vague that I can't tell what you contributed to the projects you worked on. For example, saying "Worked with Project Managers to ensure the success of assigned projects." could describe anyone from the cleaning crew to the CEO. Likewise, what does "Ensured that projects met quality standards and helped with routine and advanced operational tasks." actually mean? What exactly did you do?

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010
Hmmm, Ok thanks, I see your point. Actually, I have done practically everything in my industry and everything in my job depended exclusively on me, but I understand how many people can't understand it from my writing. This is also not in the US but in a developing country btw.

Is this more clear now and less abstract? Don't know how to make it more understandable and exhaustive withouth going beyond the first page. My strategic objective is to make my Master stand out more and to stop being seen as a unidimensional or very focused person who can only do 1 thing (I'd like to get into an industry and stop being an analyst, or maybe a consultant but in a more prestigious field such as management consulting)

Tony_Montana fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 9, 2015

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010
Bumping this, sorry for the double post.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I recently lost my job, and I'm looking into making a decent resume.

One of my previous jobs was a year and a half in a bookstore on a college campus, and I was one of the employees that was allowed (several different times) to buy back books from students. To do this, I was given a register drawer with ten thousand dollars (possibly twenty five, but I'm pretty sure it was only ten) and was the only store employee on location during these times. What I'd like to establish on a resume is that I have handled large quantities of money without supervision accurately and dependably. But I want to say this in a way that is both succinct and easily understood.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

I recently lost my job, and I'm looking into making a decent resume.

One of my previous jobs was a year and a half in a bookstore on a college campus, and I was one of the employees that was allowed (several different times) to buy back books from students. To do this, I was given a register drawer with ten thousand dollars (possibly twenty five, but I'm pretty sure it was only ten) and was the only store employee on location during these times. What I'd like to establish on a resume is that I have handled large quantities of money without supervision accurately and dependably. But I want to say this in a way that is both succinct and easily understood.

"Served as sole employee with authority to complete hundreds of cash-based transactions during extremely high customer volume periods, handling a total value of approximately $10K per day" or something like that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I had an interview for a potentially big career move for me, moving up from a regular designer at a tiny company to a senior position at a larger one. It went well, and now I'm scheduled to meet with their CEO next week.

Yesterday I started looking into what a senior designer makes on average, and the idea of getting a bump up in pay to that level is blowing my mind. I really hope I get this job haha.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

How short term, and what kind of job are you looking to get?

Most jobs I've held were about 6 months, I'm trying to get another waiter position

I'm usually the guy that gets hired for the lowest amount of money, or they promise me advancement that I never get

Currently I am a "manager" at a hotel

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 9, 2015

smilingokami
Nov 4, 2009
Okay so I know that this is probably a hot mess, I have extreme anxiety about this. I want to move on with my life but being with the company I'm in for so long and dealing with its fickle ups and downs (at least in my area of the company).

Can anyone please take a look at my resume and let me know if I should nuke from orbit and re-deploy.

I'm not really putting this out yet, just getting it ready.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w2zS0NM5BMiGLAOCDZE-91jCLP3BTL1kyzCJh2obLqc/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Please don't put your strengths on your resume :)

You also don't need to specify your resume is organized chronologically.

smilingokami
Nov 4, 2009
Okay I'm not going to ask a ton of questions, but I do have two

1) Contact information I'm putting in it is okay yea? (address, phone, email linkedin)
2) I've been with my current company for 12 years so I just listed all the different positions I've held as jobs, is this a horrible idea?

Thanks for the tips and help!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe it's Google screwing up the formatting, but here are my thoughts:
  • left margin looks bigger than the right margin
  • employer, time, title, and location all on one line with inconsistent punctuation/spacing between them is confusing, or at least unpleasant to read
  • I wouldn't go down to the day for time periods on work experience
  • similar issue with the education section
I'm mostly just going to call out formatting issues right now, since I'm not sure what sort of job you're applying for.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

smilingokami posted:

Okay so I know that this is probably a hot mess, I have extreme anxiety about this. I want to move on with my life but being with the company I'm in for so long and dealing with its fickle ups and downs (at least in my area of the company).

Can anyone please take a look at my resume and let me know if I should nuke from orbit and re-deploy.

I'm not really putting this out yet, just getting it ready.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w2zS0NM5BMiGLAOCDZE-91jCLP3BTL1kyzCJh2obLqc/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance.

Your strengthfinder themes do not go on your resume.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My personal e-mail address is my school e-mail that got rolled over into gmail after I graduated but still has the .edu domain. Should I create a gmail account for my resume? A whole bunch of variations on my name are all taken so I would need to add a string of numbers in order to create a gmail address. Also, any tips on doing that while still maintaining a professional looking address?

bamhand fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 10, 2015

smilingokami
Nov 4, 2009
Wow talk about being blind. I didn't notice most of the formatting issues. Thank you all, I really appreciate the input. I've never been good at job hunting and am so scared about it that I stay where I am. The feedback is super helpful!

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

bamhand posted:

My personal e-mail address is my school e-mail that got rolled over into gmail after I graduated but still has the .edu domain. Should I create a gmail account for my resume? A whole bunch of variations on my name are all taken so I would need to add a string of numbers in order to create a gmail address. Also, any tips on doing that while still maintaining a professional looking address?

An edu email is fine.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So I'm interviewing for a Senior Graphic Designer job.

My first interview went well, I basically walked them through my current job and some projects I've worked on.

Since then they've called one of my references and now want me to meet with their CEO tomorrow. My contact there said that I should briefly explain to the CEO my current job and responsibilities, but that he would be more interested in hearing about "my side projects, what drives me, my quirks", stuff like that.

So it sounds to me like this interview is going to be more personality based, not so much about my work history. Does anyone have any experience with an interview like this? I'm not sure what to expect.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

My last interview was like that. It felt like a therapy session. I was honest and tried to be as self-aware as possible, and the VP said that I seemed much wiser than my peers my age because of that, haha. It was a nice change of pace from a typical interview (and I got the job). Just really be yourself, they'll see thru the BS.

When I was talking about my interview with my friends, one of them said something like "You can teach anyone to do the job. But you can't teach someone to not be an rear end in a top hat."

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Huh, I just got an email from another person who wants me to come in for an interview. It's a company I sent my portfolio to unsolicited in April.

So I guess it doesn't hurt to just shoot random emails to companies you'd like to work for, you never know.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, I had an interview on the 3rd, and I think it went well. I probably hosed up a bit (not remembering to refresh myself on the job description :suicide:), but I Think the rest of it went well. He told me that I was the only person to mention the OSI to him for tech troubleshooting, and I Really liked the coworkers I would be with, I like their nerd culture (LOTR fans, gaming fanatics, we had a DC vs Marvel debate). I sent a follow up email on July 7th, to the interviewer and added the him on Linkedin. Now the person who set up the interview was not the same person who interviewed me (I'm assuming a director/manager set up the interview and the supervisor did it). Should I send up a follow up to the original interviewer stating how I was still interested and how much I enjoyed speaking with the interviewer and the potential coworkers or just let it ride for a bit?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, I had an interview on the 3rd,

Should I send up a follow up to the original interviewer stating how I was still interested and how much I enjoyed speaking with the interviewer and the potential coworkers or just let it ride for a bit?

Yes, for Pete's sake, send a followup reiterating your interest in the position and asking about a timeline for next steps.

Always know their timeline for next steps and follow up with them a day or two after if you don't hear anything.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Bisty Q. posted:

Yes, for Pete's sake, send a followup reiterating your interest in the position and asking about a timeline for next steps.

Always know their timeline for next steps and follow up with them a day or two after if you don't hear anything.

Yeah, I didni't know if it was being too much to follow up with person A (Person B did the interview, already followed up with them) this quickly. Don't want to be too pushy. I'll definitely do that.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Hey, everyone. I'm a freshly minted MA in History who has decided that a PhD program in the humanities is probably not the best idea at the moment. Currently, I'm trying to get my foot in the door at a law firm as a legal administrative assistant, with the goal of becoming a paralegal after I gain enough experience and get my certificate.

My decision to go into legal support mostly has to do with the fact that it pays quite well here in the Bay Area if you get into a corporate firm and I can see myself being at least competent at the job. I've had one large law firm bring me in twice for interviews. The first was one-on-one with an assistant to the hiring manager, the second was with the entire business law department. My interview was a week ago and I seemed to have done well, although I had a few people (mostly the associates) who didn't like the fact that I have no real experience in finance or business (although at least one of them told me "meh, you'll pick it up,"). Most of the skeptics were associates, however; the paralegals seemed to like me and I really feel like I hit it off with the partner who came in. I should probably add that I have an employee recommendation, so I'm feeling optimistic.

The only problem is, their HR department apparently works at a snail's pace. It took them a month to call me in for the second interview. From what others have posted, this is apparently not too unusual for bigger companies.

In any case, here's my resume for perusal. It's always nice to have an Nth opinion on it, especially since I'm continuing to apply to similar jobs, just to be on the safe side:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BSV64Gi1fYZlG7eA_2UFhcmJw7Cr6inwxGV37xxIK-k/edit?usp=sharing

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Crossposted from the other interview thread

Email from Recruiter I tried to add on LinkedIn posted:

[Race Realists],

I enjoyed speaking to you today.

Here is the job description below. This is a full-time position with Aaron's.

Help Desk Admin

We are working with Aaron's staffing a number of entry level positions for IT Help Desk Engineers. Our client is looking for bright highly motivated individuals that are eager to work and grow in their career . Great potential for career growth with a company that is in a huge growth mode and has one of the best managed IT departments in Atlanta. The department manager has promoted 40 people out of entry level positions in the last few years some are making as much as double their initial income.

Key Traits for successful candidates:

1. Attitude (Collaborator, Team Player) OUTGOING PERSONALITY

2. Aptitude for technical skills at a Help Desk level

3. Accountability (She does not want to worry that they will do what they say)

4. Agility (Able to adapt to and navigate rapid change)

Duties
This position resolves any customer support issues and escalates any technical issues to a Technical Support Analyst as needed. This position also updates documentation regarding issue troubleshooting and resolution.
Answer inbound calls, creating issue ticket and documenting all issue details. Update ticket detail as needed until issues are closed.
Handle, document, and resolve or escalate any email issues presented.

Position Requirements
College degree in Information Technology or Technical college degree preferred but will consider candidates that have IT helpdesk experience .
Basic to intermediate technical knowledge
Intermediate communication & customer service skills
Intermediate call center skills
​A drug screen and criminal background investigation are required before beginning employment

Shifts
The center is open from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturdays. There is shift work and either a permanent Saturday or alternating Saturdays and although new employees are trained for a few weeks on a daytime schedule, once they are able to start performing the work independently, they are moved to their permanent schedule which is typically evenings. As earlier shifts become available, they can bid on those to move up to earlier start times. The latest shift is from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m. and the start times for the various shift hit every hour.

Benefits (attached)
Paid time off including vacation days, sick days and holidays
Ongoing training and development
Medical, dental & vision insurance
401(k) plan
Life insurance
Disability benefits
Employee Purchase Discounts

[Race Realists],

Below is a link to an active interview, a video interview, where you would record yourself providing answers to three questions. Please treat this as you would an actual face to face interview as this video clip will be forwarded to the client.

The only preparation that I am able to give you is to make sure you are equipped to answer questions pertaining to one of your greatest achievement, your greatest failure and also a short 4-5 minute summary on why you would be the best candidate for Aarons to interview. I would advise to keep the interview professional and make sure to limit any disturbances, excessive movements and unwelcomed noises during the recording.

Nervous as hell,

Never had an interview like this before.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I had a follow up interview with this job I really want. Would it be too cornball to send a quick Thank You card to the CEO I met with?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

triplexpac posted:

I had a follow up interview with this job I really want. Would it be too cornball to send a quick Thank You card to the CEO I met with?
Cards are cornball as poo poo. Send an email if you want to follow up.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vulture Culture posted:

Cards are cornball as poo poo. Send an email if you want to follow up.
I disagree. An e-mail is perfectly fine, but a nice card is always a positive. It can't hurt.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
It's like a 50/50 split with everyone I've asked, it's quite the controversial topic apparently haha.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
By the time anybody gets your card, the decision has already been made in most cases. I'm firmly in the "please e-mail" camp.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What are most people looking for when they ask what you want from your manager? I usually answer with some line about mutual respect and that I've had a variety of managerial styles and am comfortable with most anything but I wasn't sure if I'm looking at the question the wrong way.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Quick question. Got selected for an internal position at the beginning of July (half of my shift was to be this position, half my old position). I started this position on July 14th, and got laid off entirely July 16th. As I only was doing this job officially for 1.5 days out of my 7 months of employment, am I ok to put this on the resume or is it a dick move?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I can't imagine the circumstances where you would talk about having a job for 1.5 days before being laid off and look better for it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Rats, figured as much. The only reason I was considering it is that my official title was "Customer Service Executive", which is garbage. Most of my time there was spent not on CS but on identifying fraud and scams, and general compliance and auditing stuff, which is useful. Just didn't get a title reflecting any of the usefulness till the end :(

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
How would you possibly answer any inevitable questions about the role? If you have one title that stands out above all the rest, interviewers will no doubt want details and "I had that for 1.5 days" isn't going to look good on anyone.

Unless I'm reading what you're saying wrong.

I guess just make sure your resume reflects the actual duties you did and hope people read it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah, you guys are right, I'll leave it out. The resume is ok, but I'm still only a year out of school and am a little bummed out about having to start the job hunt over. I was working for a startup money transfer company so I can't say this type of thing is totally unexpected, but man it stinks to lose $22/hr, benefits, unlimited 2x overtime, and tons of PTO.

On the upside I'm certainly not alone in the layoffs, and I've got some pretty good references out of it. Plus 7 months of good pay and a one month trip to London. Here's hoping the layoff isn't looked on too harshly I guess.