Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

My favourite not thing is when you're watching something in immersive mode, say youtube, and some jerk starts messaging you and cutting into the audio. They added that bell icon so you can finally get straight to the mutes, but as soon as you tap it the app pops out of immersive mode, and the volume popup just moves to the left instead of recognising the button press. Then if you don't catch up to it quick enough to press again, it goes 'oh, guess you're done interacting with me...' and fucks off

Then you try again and the jerk probably messages you just as your finger touches the screen, so you press the giant notification and open Hangouts instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

bull3964 posted:

That almost works, but I don't always wear the watch at home so I would either have to turn it off when I take it off or toggle that setting back and forth. I would much rather them have a toggle that lets your watch ignore the priority mode of the phone. That would give me desired behavior.

It would be nice if the heart-rate monitor would check this. If no heartbeat is detected for x minutes then turn notifications back on on the phone. Make it a toggle for people with small wrists where the heart-rate thing isn't consistent.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's really an issue of trying to make things more simple and instead introducing a whole bunch of unreachable use cases.

They introduced the priority modes in Lollipop. It was a good thing, we needed a bit more granularity there. However, people were incensed that they they could no longer completely silence their phones but still get a VISUAL indicator of a notification.

So, in 5.1, instead of restoring that one tick on the volume dial, they changed priority notifications so that they only affect the audible/vibration aspect of the notification but leave the visual part of it. That, in effect, restored silent mode for most use cases, but it then incensed people who wanted to COMPLETELY shut off any and all notifications for their phones (like those who sleep in the same room of their phone and have LED notifications that light up the room.)

Around the same time, they updated Wear so that it inherits the priority setting and it works in yet a DIFFERENT way. When a notification comes in, nothing happens. If you glance at your watch, you see nothing. If you swipe upward, you can access the notification, but the watch gives no audible OR visual indicator that you have the notification without interacting with the watch via touch.

So, here we are today. We have a bunch of added functionality that utterly and completely fails to fully replicate all of the use cases we would have if we had both the original 5.0 priority notifications and the "silent" tick on the volume dial.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On a slightly different note, 5.1 on my 2014 X is so much better. Apps aren't getting kicked out of memory, and the Moto Assist app talks over bluetooth (although the phone stream rather than the media stream).

However, on my replacement phone, I can't figure out how to have it show the Moto notification thing when I wave my hand near it. What setting am I overlooking?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I just came from a Moto G, and I can't recommend it to anyone really even as a budget phone. I've vented about it in here before, but basically what it comes down to is that the phone has "only" 1GB of RAM. That wouldn't be a problem, except Motorola totally hosed up the memory management on the phone and it's literally impossible to do simple things like use Navigation while playing music at the same time. It'll constantly kick the music out of memory after a few minutes (if you're lucky and it doesn't do it instantaneously).

I mean I've had other phones with 1GB of RAM that could do navigation+music fine, and the Moto G even did this when it had 4.4 so I know it's something on Moto's end. I ditched it for a Galaxy s4 again, couldn't be happier etc.

Just came here to post my frustration with this very issue on my Z3C that I've had for months. I reboot my phone before every commute now or else I will have to restart my audio program (google play, listen audio books, pocketcasts...) if I have Waze or Google maps going. Sometimes even a fresh reboot doesn't change anything. Just seems like lollipop cannot handle two programs going at the same time and have seriously considered ditching the phone thinking it was a Sony implementation of 5.0.

Seeing the same frustration with your G and 14 X has me thinking it's not just my phone. Was this fixed on 5.1? I'd get an S6 but don't want the crummy battery and go so love my Z3c IF IT WOULD JUST loving NOT STOP PLAYING.

:negative:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Doesn't happen with 5.x on my Nexus 7 or 6 for what it's worth.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

DemonMage posted:

Doesn't happen with 5.x on my Nexus 7 or 6 for what it's worth.

I should mention that my N7 on 5.0 lagged like crazy but still didn't shut down audio. 5.1 seemed to fix it all up. Perhaps 5.1 will solve my problems on the Z3c but this is getting ridiculous waiting.

Has there been any indications of timing from Sony on 5.1?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sab669 posted:

So I picked up a Nexus 6 with my Fi invite. So far, for the most part, I like the phone but one of my biggest complaints is that the stock keyboard seems to lag when I've been texting a lot. I've googled around I can't seen to find anything recent about this with the N6. Has anyone else experienced it? It was worse using Hangouts than Messenger, but it still happens. Using the stock keyboard.

Do you have a big contact list? Try turning off the setting that has the keyboard hook up to your contacts to help spell names.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

hooah posted:

Ok. My beef is that the thing doesn't play the assist audio over BT. I don't use the voice actions enough for that to matter to me, but that would be good to know at least.

I said OK Google and it connected over my car stereo, then did the search. It didn't retain the navigation over the stereo until I set the audio source over to BT.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Why does the Youtube app have 3 buttons that do the exact same thing? Play a video, make it full screen, then press either (1) the back button, (2) the top left caret icon, or (3) the >< icon in the bottom right. Every time it makes the video tiny and puts it in the bottom right corner of the screen. Why doesn't one of those things make the player go back to being in portrait with the related videos and comments underneath? How hard is this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's really an issue of trying to make things more simple and instead introducing a whole bunch of unreachable use cases.

They introduced the priority modes in Lollipop. It was a good thing, we needed a bit more granularity there. However, people were incensed that they they could no longer completely silence their phones but still get a VISUAL indicator of a notification.

So, in 5.1, instead of restoring that one tick on the volume dial, they changed priority notifications so that they only affect the audible/vibration aspect of the notification but leave the visual part of it. That, in effect, restored silent mode for most use cases, but it then incensed people who wanted to COMPLETELY shut off any and all notifications for their phones (like those who sleep in the same room of their phone and have LED notifications that light up the room.)

Around the same time, they updated Wear so that it inherits the priority setting and it works in yet a DIFFERENT way. When a notification comes in, nothing happens. If you glance at your watch, you see nothing. If you swipe upward, you can access the notification, but the watch gives no audible OR visual indicator that you have the notification without interacting with the watch via touch.

So, here we are today. We have a bunch of added functionality that utterly and completely fails to fully replicate all of the use cases we would have if we had both the original 5.0 priority notifications and the "silent" tick on the volume dial.

How has this changed in Android M?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="447232902"]
Why does the Youtube app have 3 buttons that do the exact same thing? Play a video, make it full screen, then press either (1) the back button, (2) the top left caret icon, or (3) the >< icon in the bottom right. Every time it makes the video tiny and puts it in the bottom right corner of the screen. Why doesn't one of those things make the player go back to being in portrait with the related videos and comments underneath? How hard is this?

Pretty sure the >< icon does just that?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

hooah posted:

However, on my replacement phone, I can't figure out how to have it show the Moto notification thing when I wave my hand near it. What setting am I overlooking?

First of all I think this feature is only available on the 2014 X, so keep that in mind. With that said the only option for it that I know of is in the Moto App, under actions. There should be four actions to set up there: show Moto Display when reaching for the phone, the twisty-camera thing, wave-to-silence, and now flashlight-chop. Make sure the thing for showing Display when you reach for the phone is on.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Require More Fire posted:

First of all I think this feature is only available on the 2014 X, so keep that in mind. With that said the only option for it that I know of is in the Moto App, under actions. There should be four actions to set up there: show Moto Display when reaching for the phone, the twisty-camera thing, wave-to-silence, and now flashlight-chop. Make sure the thing for showing Display when you reach for the phone is on.

The problem was that Android's Active Display was on. Turned that off and the Moto version works as expected.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
New issue I've discovered with this S6 Active. Whenever I'm out and about being, ya know, active, the active key is constantly pushing itself in my pocket. Since it bypasses the lock screen I pull my phone out of my pocket and discovered it's been taking hundreds of photos inside my pocket.

Looks like I'll have to disable the button. Really fuckin lame. I can't believe this issue didn't come up in testing. Samsung really didn't try very hard on this phone.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I've got an issue with Chromecast I'm hoping someone can help me with. When casting a YouTube video after my phone or tablet (happens with both) falls asleep the video continues playing just fine unless I wake my phone or tablet back up. Once I wake the device the video stops and the Chromecast acts like its reached the end of my TV queue. This would only be a minor inconvenience if all I had to do was start the video again to pick up where I left off but when I do that it restarts the video from 0:00.

It hasn't always done this, I don't think. Any ideas?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

revmoo posted:

Samsung really didn't try very hard

heh

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

How has this changed in Android M?

I don't think it has except for moving the toggles to the quick settings menu. A step in the right direction to be sure, just not quite there yet.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I also have a Chromecast -> Youtube issue. With my S4, it always worked flawlessly. My brother-in-law's iPhone6 and Nexus6 also both worked perfectly. Now, with the S6, it won't let me play new videos. When I first start up youtube and send a video to the chromecast, everything works fine. However, if I find another video and attempt to play it, it simply restarts the original video that was playing. The title of the new video will flash on the screen for a second, but then it just switches back to the first video and plays that again. The only way I can get a new video to play is if I add it to the tv queue (rather than playing it directly) and then select/play it from the queue in the youtube app.

I don't think the problem is specific to the S6 or Lollipop as my brother-in-law's Nexus6 used to work fine (I'm pretty sure) and now has the same problem. Both of these phones are on 5.1, so I don't know if its a problem with 5.1 (he may have had 5.0 on the Nexus6 when it worked correctly) or if the youtube app is just currently buggy.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Mr Executive posted:

I also have a Chromecast -> Youtube issue. With my S4, it always worked flawlessly. My brother-in-law's iPhone6 and Nexus6 also both worked perfectly. Now, with the S6, it won't let me play new videos. When I first start up youtube and send a video to the chromecast, everything works fine. However, if I find another video and attempt to play it, it simply restarts the original video that was playing. The title of the new video will flash on the screen for a second, but then it just switches back to the first video and plays that again. The only way I can get a new video to play is if I add it to the tv queue (rather than playing it directly) and then select/play it from the queue in the youtube app.

Same

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, I'm calling bullshit. I don't know what's the deal with the Turbo that causes these Android News sites to make up stuff about it.

We'll certainly see. :allears:

Looks like I'll be eating those words. v:blush:v

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google Photos has an unspecified limit that, once you hit it, will stop ALL backups until you wait for an unspecified amount of time or pay for more Drive space. Hit your limit? Oh well, go pay them for more and hope you don't hit it again.

quote:

i've been uploading my entire photo library to the new google photos over the past couple of weeks and uncovered something really annoying. have ~70k photos and wanted to upload them all using the unlimited storage option (high quality) using the desktop uploader application. got about 20k in when it just suddenly stopped uploading. funny thing is, it stopped uploading/backing up ANY photos on ALL my devices, pc, laptop, phone, tablet, etc. anything tied to my google account will no longer backup any photos.

quote:

if you move to a paid google drive storage tier they remove (or more likely raise) the cap. for the hell of it i tried this. used free storage to upload my photos, hit the cap, went to the 100GB/$1.99 tier and just like that, my photos began uploading again. last night i hit this "cap" again and moved to the 1TB/$9.99 tier. voila, photos are now uploading again.

Google will never stop being Google. :allears: They'll probably never tell people of the limit.

Granted, there's nothing wrong with having this limit just...telling people would be cool.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Internet making mountains out of molehills. What a surprise.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Google has absolute poo poo customer service. Or, more accurately has no customer service.

I remember buying a bunch of adwords credit a while back and they double-billed me. Somehow I managed to make contact with their customer support team who flat-out refused to refund the extra charge. As in, straight-up said "No we will not be doing that"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

revmoo posted:

Google has absolute poo poo customer service. Or, more accurately has no customer service.

I remember buying a bunch of adwords credit a while back and they double-billed me. Somehow I managed to make contact with their customer support team who flat-out refused to refund the extra charge. As in, straight-up said "No we will not be doing that"

My experience with the Play Store customer service has been nothing short of amazing, by far the best support I've ever gotten with products. God Bless Google.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Hace posted:

Pretty sure the >< icon does just that?

Have you tried it? It does what I said.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="447245147"]
Have you tried it? It does what I said.

Ha, you're right! It didn't used to do that though, guess it's just a recent bug.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

My experience with the Play Store customer service has been nothing short of amazing, by far the best support I've ever gotten with products. God Bless Google.

Yeah, I've only had to deal with them twice, but both times were fantastic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google Photos has an unspecified limit that, once you hit it, will stop ALL backups until you wait for an unspecified amount of time or pay for more Drive space. Hit your limit? Oh well, go pay them for more and hope you don't hit it again.

Google will never stop being Google. :allears: They'll probably never tell people of the limit.

Granted, there's nothing wrong with having this limit just...telling people would be cool.

Actually, there's quite a bit wrong with having a limit on a service you call unlimited.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Hace posted:

Ha, you're right! It didn't used to do that though, guess it's just a recent bug.

I've never experienced it working that way, including since when YouTube was redesigned to allow background video browsing while the video continues playing.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

5.1 OTA is up for the droid turbo. I'm downloading now :)

I'm not a motorola feedback member

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On my replacement 2014 Moto X, there's a circle with a slash (like "no smoking" sans cigarette) symbol between the bluetooth and wifi symbols in my notification bar. Obviously "no symbol" is really hard to Google. Anyone know what this is? I can't find any different settings between it and my old one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

On my replacement 2014 Moto X, there's a circle with a slash (like "no smoking" sans cigarette) symbol between the bluetooth and wifi symbols in my notification bar. Obviously "no symbol" is really hard to Google. Anyone know what this is? I can't find any different settings between it and my old one.

You have notifications off.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

You have notifications off.

Haha, holy poo poo. Thanks.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

thanks google, looks good

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
dat rear end doe

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That def won't fit in my jorts pocket, cardboard cutout or not.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
So I just updated to 5.1 and my power control widget disappeared and I can't find it anywhere in the widgets section. Did Google remove this in 5.0 or am I missing something obvious here?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

That def won't fit in my jorts pocket, cardboard cutout or not.

Well, if there's anyone I would trust about this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At least it doesn't look like it would need grip tape. Seems like it would fill your hand pretty well.