Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

[3:20.14am] currienoodles You are like literal cancer. You are terrible all you do is use wifi to spam.

anther's ladder is fun. i beat up this dude's sonic with robin. 0 to death right at the start. we didn't even have a laggy connection. stay mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree anther's ladder is fun, but people whining about even the smallest amount of lag are ridiculous lol.

Like, I had an almost perfect game with some hiccoughs hear and their and all the dude did was whine about lag.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

[3:20.14am] currienoodles You are like literal cancer. You are terrible all you do is use wifi to spam.

anther's ladder is fun. i beat up this dude's sonic with robin. 0 to death right at the start. we didn't even have a laggy connection. stay mad

The man's correct.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

zolthorg posted:

It takes the average person like one or two loving days to adjust. The Wii U pro controller is by far your best option because:
- the rumble on the gamepad is incredibly cheap if you want that option in a controller
- the new print gamecube controllers require a dumb to acquire accessory and have awful awful shoulder buttons that constantly jam
- every single old gamecube controller is on the used market or 200$ brand new and the used ones are still disgusting after several cleanings
- the triggers on the pro controller are a bit worse then the triggers on the gamepad
- every other pro controller button is the same as the gamepad
- the bigger buttons on the gamecube style controllers are easier to short hop and quickly hit but also break much easier then the pro controllers because their size means a push is a rattle
- the analog sticks on the pro controller and gamepad are much shorter then the gamecube main stick which makes it much easier to accutely control your character's horizontal movement and execute tilts and smashes

it feels terrible and the cstick is hella awkward

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/06/shovel-knight-physical-version-coming-to-a-store-near-you/

I admit I'm sketchy on gaming hierarchy, but doesn't this mean Shovel Knight is third-party now, not indie anymore?

All I know is that it threw half of Smashboards into a collective panic and it was hilarious.

EDIT: Apparently the actual differences between Third-Party and Indie are so negligible that it doesn't amount to much. Welp, that makes Smashboards' reaction even funnier.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 1, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SL the Pyro posted:

http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/06/shovel-knight-physical-version-coming-to-a-store-near-you/

I admit I'm sketchy on gaming hierarchy, but doesn't this mean Shovel Knight is third-party now, not indie anymore?

All I know is that it threw half of Smashboards into a collective panic and it was hilarious.

EDIT: Apparently the actual differences between Third-Party and Indie are so negligible that it doesn't amount to much. Welp, that makes Smashboards' reaction even funnier.

Why was Smashboards panicking? At the possibility of Shovel Knight making it into Smash?

EDIT: Man, there's a lot of clamoring for a physical release on PSVita in comments of that article. I honestly did not know there was that vocal of a Vita fanbase.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Why was Smashboards panicking? At the possibility of Shovel Knight making it into Smash?

EDIT: Man, there's a lot of clamoring for a physical release on PSVita in comments of that article. I honestly did not know there was that vocal of a Vita fanbase.

I imagine all that's left of the fanbase are the fanatics

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Please don't say bad things about my friend Shovel Knight. He works really hard.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nothing wrong with shovel knight. He just doesn't deserve a character slot is all

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
He deserves two character slots at least, shovel knight and that one other dark shovel knight. Then everyone can pretend they're meaningfully different just like dark pit

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Dark Pit owns

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I had a dream last night that they made a new Smash game and gave Samus 23 character slots, each with different random suits and now I want it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dark Pit is deeper than regular Pit, that's why he's so dark.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Louisgod posted:

I had a dream last night that they made a new Smash game and gave Samus 23 character slots, each with different random suits and now I want it

They're doing that, except it's called Metroid Prime Federation Force, coming this fall only to Nintendo New 3DS, Jump In.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The more I think about it, the more I actually want a Shovel Knight Mii Swordfighter outfit. I'd be pissed if he were a real character but I like using Mii Swordfighters and it's innocuous enough to be ok. It's not even more obscure than the extremely obscure fighting game characters they already have as Mii outfits too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sakurai probably doesn't even know what Shovel Knight is. It's probably just Link or Fire Emblem characters are coming to the Nintendo versions of the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mabels big day posted:

The more I think about it, the more I actually want a Shovel Knight Mii Swordfighter outfit. I'd be pissed if he were a real character but I like using Mii Swordfighters and it's innocuous enough to be ok. It's not even more obscure than the extremely obscure fighting game characters they already have as Mii outfits too.

Why would you pissed at a new character for Smash Bros?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

jivjov posted:

If Shovel Knight gets in my best friend Rhythm Heaven wrestler might not

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

Not all characters are created equal.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

partially this as well.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I'd rather have Rhythm Heaven wrestler's interviewer. You have to pose at the right time to avoid her attacks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I've been working on going through and filling out the Challenge grid...anyone have tips for "Complete All-Star in less than 6 Minutes as Sheik"...especially now that there are 4 more characters in All-Star to deal with?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Sade posted:

Please don't say bad things about my friend Shovel Knight. He works really hard.

Just because you work hard doesn’t mean you’ll make it into the battle.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Smash 4 and Street Fighter 4 have the most entrants at EVO

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Only 816 for Marvel vs. Capcom? I'm not into the competitive scene, but I thought that game was crazy popular, or at least MvC2 was.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Eat poo poo Melee scum :getin:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Raserys posted:

Only 816 for Marvel vs. Capcom? I'm not into the competitive scene, but I thought that game was crazy popular, or at least MvC2 was.

Game hasn't been popular in a couple years as far as stream and attendance. The number is actually higher than it usually is, because most of the players also do SF4 and they're already there so might as well.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sakurai probably doesn't even know what Shovel Knight is. It's probably just Link or Fire Emblem characters are coming to the Nintendo versions of the game.

Our friends Pichu and Ivysaur*

*I dont actually like Ivysaur I just like ironically saying squirtle will never come back. Grass deserves a representative like Shaymin or Chespin

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Raserys posted:

It tends to be, but it's been dying down as of recent I believe, it never maintained the level of MvC2 for all that long.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Curious to see if customs will ever be played at national level again after this tournament.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Raserys posted:

I think Disney made the game virtually impossible to acquire after they got the Marvel license.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Our friends Pichu and Ivysaur*

*I dont actually like Ivysaur I just like ironically saying squirtle will never come back. Grass deserves a representative like Shaymin or Chespin

ivysaur is literally the second best pokemon right after bulbasaur

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i have come to the conclusion that roy eliwoodstone is a jojo

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Raserys posted:

It's really really hard for a game to retain hype with the current glut of fighting games unless it's got a way to really stand out or is just an exceptionally solid game. MvC2 didn't live as a competitive game for twelve years because it was a great game- it lived for twelve years because it got released at the start of a massive drought, especially for 2D fighters, and breaking that game to pieces was what little the players had (Also see- Third Strike suddenly seeing lots of serious play some five-six years after it's release after being largely dismissed at launch because there was nothing better to do.)

UMvC3 is an increasingly 'solved' game where a small number of scenarios repeatedly play themselves out and most of the game's defensive options are not good enough to really break it up (UMvC3's main difference from MvC2) so the game's losing steam to both players and viewers as other games take the spotlight.

It's a testament to how solid the game was that it's managed to hold on to this long. If you want to see how a more... poorly built fighting game stacks up, take a look at them Killer Instinct numbers despite the game getting a year's worth of new content. I like me some Persona 4 Arena, but that's a niche-rear end game even as far as niche-rear end games go and it's still drawing more then KI is. Hell, an unfinished Tekken game is getting bigger numbers. (Part of it is probably also XB One exclusivity, but poo poo, less then P4A?)

For another example, take a look at Injustice.

Or don't take a look at Injustice, because it isn't there.

Yeah. You had a good run UMvC3, but unless someone breaks the game wide open, it's probably time for your sunset Evo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's a good post.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The deterioration of UMVC3 got so bad once they left it you could find this happening to you in the middle of a match.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
What really keeps any game from devolving into a scripted sequence like that, aside from lack of any other options or the life support that Capcom gives SFIV? Melee is still around for instance, are there any other big ones like that?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Raserys posted:

What really keeps any game from devolving into a scripted sequence like that, aside from lack of any other options or the life support that Capcom gives SFIV? Melee is still around for instance, are there any other big ones like that?

New poo poo being found out. Melee has a ton of depth causing people to find out tons of poo poo way passed it's sell-by date that changes match-ups and makes the tier list fluctuate. High level Melee has changed drastically since the mid-2000s because there's just so much to it. MvC2 changed quite a bit as well before it died.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also less combo-heavy games are less vulnerable to falling into repeated optimal patterns, which helps melee in that sense. There's no "catch your opponent's last stock as it comes in and combo it to death without them being able to do anything off one mixup" in smash, getting combo'd at all beyond chaining the same move a few times usually requires repeated mistakes on the end of the person getting hit

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Also less combo-heavy games are less vulnerable to falling into repeated optimal patterns, which helps melee in that sense. There's no "catch your opponent's last stock as it comes in and combo it to death without them being able to do anything off one mixup" in smash, getting combo'd at all beyond chaining the same move a few times usually requires repeated mistakes on the end of the person getting hit

It's not the combo heaviness, it's the existence of player agency. UMvC3 is falling into the state it is because someone is able to put their opponent into a situation where they'll be forced to make multiple right guesses to not die and guessing right at any given junction does not offer a way to avoid having to make the next one. So a lot of games play out the same way because once you get stuck in certain situations you... well, you usually just die, because getting multiple correct reads in a game like UMvC3 takes a ton of experience and is honestly the most impressive thing about the game- even if it doesn't look particularly 'hype' to watch JWong make four correct reads after having a new character forced in just to return the game to neutral.

Games with longevity deal with it in different ways. Melee is fairly similar to the Marvel example- the offense is considerably stronger then the defense- except that the increased agency the defender has in their role in Melee means that a good read can get them straight back into neutral- good DI, a well-timed air dodge, a perfect shield into roll- even turn a bad situation into an advantage like sticking a nair or something out at the right time mid-juggle. SF4 does it by being fairly low-damage on exchanges for the most part and having a secondary defensive option- Focus- that can both be used offensively (read an attack, soak it, land a focus attack) or defensively in situations blocking is weak (like against a cross up- Focus then dash out away from wherever the opponent lands.) Additionally, it allows players to turn meter into safe play where there usually isn't any. While not giving access to unlimited safety, meaning that most SF4 players need to commit to some kind of risk to get any kind of real damage conversion, they still have an occasional 'out' they can use to not throw the game away every time they want to make a risky play. Most of the 'big plays' in SF4 comes from successful reads on resets and offensive pressure instead of true unavoidable combos, which is something that the defending player can avoid if they get the right read themselves.

But yes, changes to the game, either through new information found or updates from the developer, are the easiest way to keep a game from going stale and players/viewers from moving on to the next big thing. Uniqueness also helps (another major point Melee has and MvC2 had before MvC3 hit- both are rather unlike anything else being played at the moment, giving players reasons not to move on.)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IronicDongz posted:

Not quite, while Melee doesn't have traditional combos where the opponent has absolutely not influence on their character that's stuck in a combo but there are combos that exist where even at high level play your DI isn't going to mean anything, will be read and you're still stuck in the combo. On the otherhand, Melee is notorious for gimping, where other fighting games are obviously just about HP the "ledge/blastzone" element of Smash (Melee/64, not Brawl/4) can force players into a position where they're absolutely hosed right off the bat via a move sending you at a strange angle/spiked, fast falling while stuck in an animation or whatever.

So, while Melee doesn't have "welp, my character came in and is stuck in a combo that's going to kill him" it does have "welp, I just got drill shined and Fox edgehogged so there goes the stock at 20%."

• Locked thread