Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

As a Millennial I posted:

create a false identity and sign up for a magazine subscription

opsec in ur dark social network

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/01/twitter-staff-african-american-diversity

quote:

Twitter employs just 49 black people out of a total US workforce of 2,910. The tiny number of African American staff – 35 men and 14 women – represents just 1.7% of Twitter’s US staff.

internet company suffers from race condition

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

also :spergin: af

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
zuck is hard at work on psychohistory

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
you should be required to put no name at all on job applications

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

qntm posted:

how do they email me then?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

coffeetable posted:

heh

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

pointers posted:

With your email address? b00tyEater420@gmail.com

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

coffeetable posted:

boo this man

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

pointers posted:

bitcoin

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

coffeetable posted:

oh god really???

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

coffeetable posted:

lmbo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
if we're still throwing poo poo at subjunctive, i'd have to go google for it but you know there are people who literally do nothing but go through facebook and report trans peoples names as violations of real name policy

if you're gonna go with "well they violated the tos when they signed up", isn't harassment also against the tos?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

he already retreated :-(

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
he's REALLY tall btw

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

he's REALLY tall btw

Why don't you marry him if you like him so much?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

coffeetable posted:

nice

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qntm posted:

at least we do better than Korea where they commonly require that you include your photograph as part of your application.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

at least we do better than Korea where they commonly require that you include your photograph as part of your application.

also a thing in france for "small businesses"

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

coffeetable posted:

d-d-d-d-drat

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

also a thing in france for "small businesses"

also a thing in a good chunk of the world

us is surprisingly progressive on this aspect of hiring

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mishaq posted:

also a thing in a good chunk of the world

us is surprisingly progressive on this aspect of hiring

our jobs don't require any level of not treating employees like poo poo so if you hire someone then hate them you've just wasted your own time and can kick them to the curb for no reason

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

too bad Obummer won't get rid of the computer man exception so we're all still slaves

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

our jobs don't require any level of not treating employees like poo poo so if you hire someone then hate them you've just wasted your own time and can kick them to the curb for no reason

at least we treat everyone like poo poo equally :patriot:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

mishaq posted:

at least we treat everyone like poo poo equally :patriot:

surprisingly enough there is a tier that is worse than poo poo

:patriot: that's where non-whites and women go :patriot:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

lol fuckerberg straight up lied about the policy today, gj

"well you see, there are two main reasons we enforce this real name policy

first, so you don't have to worry about being stalked by people you know

second, so random people you just met can more easily stalk you"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

"well you see, there are two main reasons we enforce this real name policy

first, so you don't have to worry about being stalked by people you know

second, so random people you just met can more easily stalk you"

https://medium.com/@zip/a-response-to-zuck-104f920f245e

quote:

We are the final authority on what our names are. Facebook has set itself up as a gatekeeper to determine our realness. It has set its policy without any real understanding or analysis of how names work, and it’s no surprise that there are a thousand edge cases. It’s also no surprise that users understand that reporting a name will get their friends kicked off, and so use it against people they’d like removed and not people on their friends list going by “Captain Pants”.

I should not have to “show” Facebook what my “real name” is. All that is necessary is to tell them.

I’m Zoë Cat, and I shouldn’t have to prove that to anybody.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

coffeetable posted:

drat

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Luigi Thirty posted:

too bad Obummer won't get rid of the computer man exception so we're all still slaves

more like indentured servants, save nearly everything you make and you too can retire in seven years

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

also i used to totally subscribe to the idea that "real names" would fix or at least vastly improve communication on the internet but that's because i'm a white male so my real identity has never been a liability for me

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

subjunctive, you are an exceedingly chill and appreciated dude

that said

the only entities who defend this policy seems to be FB and people with weak and selifsh reasons for demanding people use their real names without having to jump through regulatory hoops

there's a lot of good in allowing people to choose how they are identified on a social network as integral to the social world as facebook and i dont think the entitled response of "well you agreed to our tos and theres plenty of other networks u can use!!" is helpful to the debate. appealing to the tos isn't a strong defense against the ethical dilemma of the tos itself. people have good reason to not want to jump through hoops to avoid harassment or as a side effect of anonymous shitheads who don't agree with your new gender identity etc.

my proposal to encourage discussion instead of raw bitter analysis:

+ allow people to use whatever name they please under the following condition:
- disallow abusive names or names-as-statements. likely this is too subjective to be enforced reasonably but things like ie: changing my name to "vote ron paul" or "faggotlord", the name needs to be a functioning natural alias like "Hank Johnson" and not "HackTheGibson 420"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Subjunctive posted:

nobody gets hosed over by the policy if they obey the policy they agreed to when they signed up, and which is part of the registration flow. some people get away with violating the policy because their violations are invisible.

if you want to live under another name than your legal one, that's fine, but in that case why don't you have some other artifact that says you actually use that name? doesn't have to be a driver's license, it can literally be a magazine subscription. the policy is not intended to let people use a different name just for Facebook, but that's not a "let me use my preferred name" situation.

perhaps you should acknowledge that it's partly your own privilege that prevents you from seeing how this policy (and its enforcement) harms people

maybe you want to keep your identities separate because you're involved under an assumed name in one community and want to keep in contact with people there, but you want your close friends, family, the DMV, your bank, etc. to use your legal name.

people in roller derby have this problem a lot, they use their derby name because there are crazy fans and skaters alike out there. (I know someone who has had multiple stalkers, with restraining orders to match, and not all were fans.) but that doesn't mean they change their legal name, have magazines sent to their derby name, etc.

"adult" performers have this problem on a much larger scale.

maybe Facebook should try to be more inclusive.

also, your comments about gamergate are pretty bad: there was a woman in the last week who was facing wide scale harassment on Facebook for having an opinion, reporting the harassment, and being told repeatedly it didn't violate Facebook's community guidelines. then her account was suspended for violating community standards for showing screen shots of the harassment she received!

Subjunctive, you need to take a step back and really look at some of the behavior of the organization before you defend it instead of trying to help it do better.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
subjunctive is gonna need an extended magnet rubbing session after this blowback!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

eschaton posted:

perhaps you should acknowledge that it's partly your own privilege that prevents you from seeing how this policy (and its enforcement) harms people

maybe you want to keep your identities separate because you're involved under an assumed name in one community and want to keep in contact with people there, but you want your close friends, family, the DMV, your bank, etc. to use your legal name.

people in roller derby have this problem a lot, they use their derby name because there are crazy fans and skaters alike out there. (I know someone who has had multiple stalkers, with restraining orders to match, and not all were fans.) but that doesn't mean they change their legal name, have magazines sent to their derby name, etc.

"adult" performers have this problem on a much larger scale.

maybe Facebook should try to be more inclusive.

also, your comments about gamergate are pretty bad: there was a woman in the last week who was facing wide scale harassment on Facebook for having an opinion, reporting the harassment, and being told repeatedly it didn't violate Facebook's community guidelines. then her account was suspended for violating community standards for showing screen shots of the harassment she received!

Subjunctive, you need to take a step back and really look at some of the behavior of the organization before you defend it instead of trying to help it do better.

yeah but... maybe those people just shouldn't use facebook

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

As a Millennial I posted:

yeah but... maybe those people just shouldn't use facebook

maybe nobody should use facebook

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

those people

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
1. Using a "stage name" to promote your roller derby or your burgeoning career as a sex worker/twitch streamer is contrary to the stated purpose of Facebook and not typical by any means. I don't see a substantial difference between that and Mr. Ron Paul2016. Get a business account for that kind of crap.

2. Not to get all victim-blamey, buuuuuut using a public social network account with personally identifiable information is opening yourself up to stalking regardless of whether you're using your "real name" or not (see: Aatrek).

3. A Facebook account isn't an inalienable right. People get along just fine without them. Facebook has decided, for a variety of very good published reasons (and probably a lot more that have to do with targeted ads), that people shouldn't be able to shitpost on their website anonymously. So what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

facebook you are my realest friend

• Locked thread