Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

So, where does one get that mazdaspeed front bumper because I'm at full mast with that :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you find his build thread, check out the Carbon Fibre body work he did... it's insane.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I like the RX8 idea, you should be able to find one with a blown renesis pretty cheap, more than likely gonna be an automatic though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Put it in a GLC.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

20B REPU? Or find a Mazda B2200 and a wrecked miata. Transplant the miata suspension subframes into the B2200 and then drop in the 20B.

Old school auto journalist special? Brown RX-4 Wagon?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wait did you sell that mint black FC yet?

Perfect candidate.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's here! :woot: But I'm in Kentucky for work :(

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
3 rotors are meant to be naturally aspirated with a straight pipe coming out the side.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Octopus Magic posted:

3 rotors are meant to be naturally aspirated with a straight pipe coming out the side.

You've never heard the beautiful shriek of a supercharged 20B tearing down the heavens, apparently.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Octopus Magic posted:

"gently caress YOU!" says the 500+KW turboed 20B's

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?
Jesus. If you need a hand getting that thing moved around or fitting it into something hilariously too small, let me know. I'm in your neck of the woods and can be there in less than an hour.
Really I just want to pretend that I have a 20b of my own :unsmith:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 4, 2015

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yessssssss.
I am so glad you got your hands on a 20B.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

"gently caress YOU!" says the 500+KW turboed 20B's

Yawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX7T2Q7xqQM

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yawn. Try again with a snail on the side and then you have some cool poo poo.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Nice crate engine.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Is something broken in the middle of that fan?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Yeah, it looks like it got damaged in shipping. Big whoop/

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yawn. Try again with a snail on the side and then you have some cool poo poo.

Yeah, it's cool to have a dyno queen. It wins internet arguments.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BloodBag posted:

Is something broken in the middle of that fan?

It was broken before it shipped (check the pics). Not that I mind, it's being removed.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
So I woke up at 3:30 this morning after sleeping maybe 3-4 hours and flew home from another business trip. I should have gone straight home and slept, but the motor was calling me. So, with a terrible sinus infection (oh god that was the worst flight due to the pressure, I still feel like I'm wearing ear protection), I stopped by Pineapple and tore the engine down to the keg. With help of course.

There, once 150 pounds of useless crap was removed, you finally can see how small this engine really is.

Everything was clean, but not clean like someone washed it. This indicates low miles. As we tore the motor further down, we found signs it was a factory rebuild. Once we got to the bare keg, it was easy to see the factory rebuild numbers on each plate. It also has the larger tension bolts at 1 and 7. This was great news. Rob and I estimate this has less then 5k on the rebuild.

Now here's the bad news… The whole point of getting it down to the keg was to inspect the rotors through the exhaust housings. We found a badly chipped seal on the 2nd rotor. This is disappointing, as I was sold a motor with good compression and this definitely does not have good compression. There's quite a difference between a soft seal rebuild and a soft seals/hard seals/new rotor/housing rebuild. Even at my cost it adds another $1500 to the bill. I won't actually get to tear the motor completely down for another two weeks, but I am going to reach out to the seller. Due to the condition overall, it was still a ok deal and now I get to figure out if I am going to be going full street port/turbo or PP NA. Mmmmm choices. :)

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 7, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Peripheral port NA. Do it, do it now.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Mannnnnnn, get that thing in the parts washer, stat!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Peripheral port NA. Do it, do it now.

yeah, this

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I won't know which direction I'm going until we get the engine torn completely down. My big issue with going PP NA right now is my machinist is at least 6-8 weeks out. I did spend the morning looking at transmission/clutch options… So far I found a 2011 R3 RX8 6spd that should hold the power. (They upgraded in 09 to a stronger trans.) It's $1100 and the clutch is $1400 shipped for a twin disc… good bye money!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The problem with a Peripheral port is that you can't do anything else with it, right? I guess unless you get 3 more rotor housings?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Last week, I tore the motor down at Pineapple Racing. I'll edit this tomorrow with more details.

I've contacted the seller and we will see if he offers a partial refund. A new housing is $800 and a rotor between $200 and $500. I'll need all new Apex seals @ $700 and springs/corner seals/soft seals totaling just over $600. Despite the damage, things are moving forwards.

Made my decision on what to do with it :D

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

My eyes kinda started bleeding as I scrolled through that post.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Are the two little openings on the turbo flange thing what's referred to as 'twin scroll' ? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus, I'd be livid if someone foisted that kind of damaged goods off on me as if they were in good condition. Good compression my rear end.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Got a response from the seller. Short version is "Not my problem buddy, sold as-is." I'm not even sure that eBay will help with this situation, as I do not want to return the engine. Looking into options now.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Does "sold as-is" actually mean anything if the description isn't truthful?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you paid through PayPal you can usually get a "not as described" and refund based on additional costs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah gently caress him, "as is" doesn't exclude him from the engine being as he claimed it was. Good compression and that horror show of damage don't go together.

From experience, ebay and paypal will side with the buyer even on something like the buyer asking for the cheapest shipping on expensive test equipment, then filing a claim due to shipping damage. Friend lost $1200 on a spectrum analyzer he sold because ebay/paypal simply took the money back even though he showed that the buyer didn't even want shipping insurance and they closed the case when he counterclaimed because the guy never sent the thing back as he was supposed to. Buyer kept the money *and* the (not very damaged) equipment. Like Z3n said, file a claim and tell em the condition is not as it was stated, and I bet you at least get money back to cover the repairs it'll need.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

A big honking turbo! ooooh hell yes :D

But ooooh man, saw the chatter marks and I'm now :( - that's just completely hosed up if that was sold as "good" in any way. Are the side plates at least okay?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I just filed a PayPal claim. I read through eBay's buyer protection and decided it wasn't worth it. I've asked for half the original purchase price back, which will cover the replacements parts and seals. I originally offered to split the difference, but not if he's going to be a dick. Oh well, it's always a PITA with the motors/sellers.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
If Paypal doesn't come through, and the guy's auction explicitly stated that the engine was in good condition/good compression, you can go after him for breach of implied warranty. Jalopnik link

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

If Paypal doesn't come through, and the guy's auction explicitly stated that the engine was in good condition/good compression, you can go after him for breach of implied warranty. Jalopnik link

The bind here seems to be in "good compression" vs "xxxpsi of compression." Although good may imply "Meets manufacturers specification," that is still not explicitly stated. It should in all reality still work.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Commodore_64 posted:

The bind here seems to be in "good compression" vs "xxxpsi of compression." Although good may imply "Meets manufacturers specification," that is still not explicitly stated. It should in all reality still work.

Oh I dont think there's any real bind here - there's no compression with apex seals that hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Here's a bit more background. The ad listed the motor as "having sat for 8 years and needing to be gone through" and "Sold with no warranty, as-is". The sellers email did not work and his eBay inbox was screwed up. I ended up tracking down the seller through a domain shown in his previous listings and emailing the business. I only asked two questions, does it have compression on all three rotors and would you take $x amount. He replied it did have compression and that was good enough for me. There's no way to test the motor on the stand without the trans/starter (had neither), so I never asked for exact numbers. It was right on the edge of, well if there's anything wrong as long as X parts are good, I can recoup my investment. That and it's pretty easy to tell if one out of three sounds different, even just turning it over by hand. I wish I had noticed the AUTOMATE mismatched spark plug in the Center rotor housing- a clear sign in my mind it was removed, someone either tested/heard it was hosed, and just shoved what ever they had around in it to clog the hole. I just found out today that he also lied about it being his motor- it was apparently his friends and he was just selling it. The negative feedback I'm planning to leave should remind him not to sell parts for friends. Still, at the end of the day I'm getting to build an awesome project.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 2, 2015