Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I knew that my run of good luck had to end eventually. After getting the great jobs of White Mage and Mystic Knight with the Wind and Water crystlas, I just got Geomancer from Fire. I never really used Geomancer much. Is it good for anything... anything at all? As someone who has never beaten the game, should I be looking at the Job Fair for something more useful (e.g. Ninja or Ranger)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

David Corbett posted:

I knew that my run of good luck had to end eventually. After getting the great jobs of White Mage and Mystic Knight with the Wind and Water crystlas, I just got Geomancer from Fire. I never really used Geomancer much. Is it good for anything... anything at all? As someone who has never beaten the game, should I be looking at the Job Fair for something more useful (e.g. Ninja or Ranger)?

It's great for random encounters, and will be fine as a backup white mage for you. You've got a team that can handle having it, for sure.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Poque posted:

It's great for random encounters, and will be fine as a backup white mage for you. You've got a team that can handle having it, for sure.

I suppose I could always try to use it with something like Spellblade/Chicken Knife in legitimately dangerous encounters.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Haven't FJF'd in a long while, and I wasn't going to, but I suddenly found time for it.

Starting off with monk, time to get rich as gently caress and then suffer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

David Corbett posted:

Give your Geomancer White and your White Mage Gaia. Now you have a second healer and a way for your White Mage to contribute in random encounters.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

David Corbett posted:

it's good for not having your rear end handed to you because two yellow dragons back attacked your rear end as you were walking across lava.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Give your Geomancer White and your White Mage Gaia. Now you have a second healer and a way for your White Mage to contribute in random encounters.

These are some great synergies.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Getting the gently caress out of here...

Yay I have Phoenix (for nothing). God that was a pain, but doable because the Android version Quicksaves on every floor! Even got a free Hermes Sandal.

Island Shrine also fell, now I want Fork Tower. Yeah, I could just go to the Rift, probably, but I want to see what I can do with this team :D. Also, I hate grinding AP without something extra to show for, this something extra are dungeons I actually find fun, so onwards!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 1, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Yay I have Phoenix (for nothing). God that was a pain, but doable because the Android version Quicksaves on every floor! Even got a free Hermes Sandal.

Island Shrine also fell, now I want Fork Tower. Yeah, I could just go to the Rift, probably, but I want to see what I can do with this team :D. Also, I hate grinding AP without something extra to show for, this something extra are dungeons I actually find fun, so onwards!

Wait quick saving glitch works in mobile as well?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Wait quick saving glitch works in mobile as well?
It auto-saves (as if you had Quicksaved) on every single floor. That helps, and I presume that it also resets encounter rate while it's at, as I certainly got through a lot of floors without getting ambushed more often than not!

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

@Ilyich_SA can now use the Water Job 'Summoner' and now is out of MP.

:getin: Even more power to effortlessly and ruthlessly murder everything.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

This spear I stole from a bear is pretty good.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Jeez Liquiflame, stop hitting yourself, to death.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nihilarian posted:

This spear I stole from a bear is pretty good.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I mean, with the moves Sweeney is making, I don't blame him. :v:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean, with the moves Sweeney is making, I don't blame him. :v:

:thurman:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I hoped at least you would appreciate that.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Chaos run #2, Mix and Rapid Fire solve everything (and Calm helped a little for Omega).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kyrosiris posted:

I hoped at least you would appreciate that.

There have to be more hockey-Fiesta bros right?

Also seeing Green sign with Detroit was almost as bad as seeing my Geomancer tweet. :smith:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bregor posted:

There have to be more hockey-Fiesta bros right?

Also seeing Green sign with Detroit was almost as bad as seeing my Geomancer tweet. :smith:

Sitting here waiting for Jim Nill to do something, anything about our defense is like waiting for RK to process victories. :smith:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

RK seems to come around in the evening. 9pm Eastern is a good time, apparently, that's when he got to both of my runs.

Third run, I went random because I missed Wind jobs, and I now have Blue Mage/Thief/Ninja/Dancer. I want to job fair out Dancer with something I haven't used (so Monk, White Mage, Knight, Time Mage, Red Mage, Ranger, Dragoon or Samurai). Which of those synergize with the other three?

(yes I realize I'm making it harder on myself eliminating the classes with !Dance, !Sing and !Control to get some good Blue Mage stuff.)

Prancer
Nov 17, 2011
Anything I can do about Omega with Summoner/Berker/Dragoon/Red Mage?

rundxdi
Feb 3, 2004

Soup Of The Day

I'm sitting at exdeath with my berserker/geomancer/dancer/dancer.... I'm pretty sure I've gotta do a lot of grinding before this fight. Not sure I'll even try to attempt the optionals, but might try another run.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Exdeath died to Dualcast Holy from a hyperleveled Krile thanks to Chemist.

Neo Exdeath died to Krile opening the Magic Lamp repeatadly until a massive legion of summons had decimated his HP. And then she killed the remaining two pieces at the same time with Dualcast Holy.

Krile is op, pls nerf

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Does the job fair work any differently with chaos runs? I've got bers/sam/sam/x and I think I should change one of the sams to a non-earth job because iOS+4 bers+sandworm/sol cannon sounds incredibly tedious.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
2nd run jobs are completely in: Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist

This feels like a good team. I already know the usefulness of Summoner and Chemist and Thief and Bard don't seem bad thus far.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

thief is really good as long as you've got some other good classes to use it with. having one in the party rules for all the QoL stuff they bring to the table

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

chrisf posted:

Does the job fair work any differently with chaos runs? I've got bers/sam/sam/x and I think I should change one of the sams to a non-earth job because iOS+4 bers+sandworm/sol cannon sounds incredibly tedious.

It does. I mentioned this a few pages back. When I JF'd my current run, it was heavily implied (pretty much stated in fact) by RK that there's no way to replace one character in your party using JF and guarantee that it's the one you want. Chaos runs roll like random ones do, but the results are sorted afterwards in crystal order. This means that you may have say WM - RM - Ninja - Chemist on your page, but the server's database says Ninja - RM - Chemist - WM.

I ended up JFing my entire party in order to do it, which was kind of sad, but I kept the two good rolls (Chemist + bard) as my last two crystals just to get rid of Geomancer.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

chrisf posted:

Actually, the mobile version has a far easier time with Sandworm at least: Berserkers will always attack the front row, so if the worm is there, it'll get smacked a lot, and there are no dummy targets, AND Death Sickle doesn't double-proc the counter. This should also get rid of a Launcher (or two?) automatically in the Sol Cannon fight, but I dunno how much that really helps.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

How do you deal damage with 4 bards? I am stuck with this until I get my earth crystal (other jobs being samurai, chemist so far) and it was painful to get past sandworm, now stuck on adamantoise :(

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Koobes posted:

How do you deal damage with 4 bards? I am stuck with this until I get my earth crystal (other jobs being samurai, chemist so far) and it was painful to get past sandworm, now stuck on adamantoise :(

get the best knives you got and beat the poo poo out of him, pretty much. not much else you can do there unfortunately. maybe also go grind up some elixirs in the wind shrine to help heal through it

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

So this happened:
http://gfycat.com/CalculatingDefenselessAsiandamselfly

Second move in the fight. Right after I wasted a Holy Water + Antidote to buff up Faris. Apparently Fartz was having none of Gilgy's poo poo this time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just love all these webms of the game being cracked in half, accidentally or otherwise.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yay, despite me not really having a loving clue what I was doing (I only worked out that Drain Spellsword was a good idea sometime around hitting the third world map), Team FairGm has slain Exdeath! Now to wonder if I hate myself enough to try and take on the bonus bosses despite the aforementioned handicap of being a really big loving idiot.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

oldskool posted:

Third run, I went random because I missed Wind jobs, and I now have Blue Mage/Thief/Ninja/Dancer. I want to job fair out Dancer with something I haven't used (so Monk, White Mage, Knight, Time Mage, Red Mage, Ranger, Dragoon or Samurai). Which of those synergize with the other three?

I'd say pick either Time Mage or Ranger. You can't use Doublecast with Blue Magic or Twohanded with Knives, so Red Mage and Knight won't bring much to the table. Dragoon and Samurai are nice, but they mostly do their own thing. By contrast, Time Mage is a huge boon to any team thanks to Haste, Slow, and Teleport, and both Thief and Ninja will benefit greatly from the Ranger's Rapid Fire.

Prancer posted:

Anything I can do about Omega with Summoner/Berker/Dragoon/Red Mage?

Not really. You don't have enough offensive power to end the fight quickly, and you don't have enough defensive abilities to survive a prolonged battle. You'll get him next time.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

White Mage / Monk / Bard.

I loving hate Byblos.

I'm probably going to loving hate a lot of things in the game by the time this run is done.

Mustard Iceman fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 2, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Mustard Iceman posted:

White Mage / Monk / Bard.

I loving hate Byblos.

I'm probably going to loving hate completely destroy a lot of things in the game by the time this run is done.

Recall that a Monk's damage is entirely dependent on their level. Which !Sing can boost, at around the same time your White Mage gets Holy and becomes an avatar of destruction. You've got a bit of a slog ahead of you, I'm not gonna lie, but come world 3 you'll be unstoppable.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Edward_Tohr posted:

Recall that a Monk's damage is entirely dependent on their level. Which !Sing can boost, at around the same time your White Mage gets Holy and becomes an avatar of destruction. You've got a bit of a slog ahead of you, I'm not gonna lie, but come world 3 you'll be unstoppable.

Not gonna need the Bard to boost my level because I won't be able to kill this loving book until I get to level 30 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Any Omega tips for a Knight/MK/Ninja/Dragoon party? Or do I just hope I can shuriken/thundaga spellblade damage race?

• Locked thread