Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

nice trolling scumlord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

at the date posted:

1. Using a "stage name" to promote your roller derby or your burgeoning career as a sex worker/twitch streamer is contrary to the stated purpose of Facebook and not typical by any means. I don't see a substantial difference between that and Mr. Ron Paul2016. Get a business account for that kind of crap.

2. Not to get all victim-blamey, buuuuuut using a public social network account with personally identifiable information is opening yourself up to stalking regardless of whether you're using your "real name" or not (see: Aatrek).

3. A Facebook account isn't an inalienable right. People get along just fine without them. Facebook has decided, for a variety of very good published reasons (and probably a lot more that have to do with targeted ads), that people shouldn't be able to shitpost on their website anonymously. So what?

4. maybe if trans people would just get over it, they'd stop killing themselves all the time

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

5. my mom wouldn't make me hot pockets this morning

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

4. maybe if trans people would just get over it, they'd stop killing themselves all the time

Pussies.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idg why they don't just say "this makes us more money" because that's the real reason

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Smythe posted:

frankenscience Pussies.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

qirex posted:

idg why they don't just say "this makes us more money" because that's the real reason
b/c pr doublespeak is expected now and deviating from it just draws more attention to the issue

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

As a Millennial I posted:

It's a separate issue. There's no reason for Facebook, as an amoral corporate organism, to object to Bob Smith's sudden desire to be called Melinda. On the other hand, HearthstoneGurl69 essentially promoting her business under her business's name is clearly just using Facebook for free hosting.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wait i thought the third gift was myrrh

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

qirex posted:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

at the date posted:

It's a separate issue. There's no reason for Facebook, as an amoral corporate organism, to object to Bob Smith's sudden desire to be called Melinda. On the other hand, HearthstoneGurl69 essentially promoting her business under her business's name is clearly just using Facebook for free hosting.

they clearly don't care about that either since you can set up business pages

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

computer parts posted:

they clearly don't care about that either since you can set up business pages

already noted that

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
the real name policy as currently implemented is wrong and needs to be fixed, full stop, theres no excuse for how its currently applied and im hoping the building pressure internally and externally will force real change soon

i strongly disagree with the "magazine subscription" method of proving identity since a homeless transgender teenager for whom facebook is their main source of community and support isn't exactly able to get a magazine delivered or any other form of identification for that matter, and we should really be making sure the discussion includes how to keep those people able to use the platform and safe while doing so and any outcome that doesn't is a failure imo

there is definite real discussion about how to fix it occurring internally at facebook and subjunctive has always been one of the stronger internal spokespeople for progressive change around this and other policies so im p sure his posts here are more around making clear the thoughts behind why things currently exist in order to be nuanced about a complex topic since the current policy wasn't made blindly or thoughtlessly either, of course hes doing that in yospos which isnt exactly the best forum for nuanced discussion so v:shobon:v

and yes i am a known subjunctive friend/apologist and facebook employee and should be put up against the wall in the coming revolution as well

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
remember if you aren't paying then you are the product thank you and good night

~namaste

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
wrong thread lol i am dumb

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Wild EEPROM posted:

remember if you aren't paying then you are the product thank you and good night

~namaste

except for cable television and movie theaters which are just rawdogging you w/ ads

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
all this real name poo poo is further proof america is becoming a bunch of useless pussies

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

pr0zac posted:

the current policy wasn't made blindly or thoughtlessly

disagree full stop

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
homeless transgender teenager who only socializes through computer screens presumably at their public library is a very specific subset of the world, but i think we could tack a few more adjectives on

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

pr0zac posted:

i strongly disagree with the "magazine subscription" method of proving identity

yo just a seriouspost suggestion from the cheap seats but you could set up a thing that asks a few people in their friend network if they really go by 'Mr. Hitler Was Right Esq.' or whatever in real life in response to reports

weight it by how much they communicate or age of relationship or how many selfies they appear in together or relative age and that could be a halfway decent screening tool for people using fb as intended

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
make somebody provide a suspect's 'real name' if they make a 'this is a fake name' claim
if it doesnt match, ban
obv this can be thwarted with dox but eh i dunno

Easy alternative: stop using facebook you idiots.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
my facebook sales rep and i are friends on facebook and she does not use her real or legal name as her facebook name.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

guys guys,

face it, facebook was, and is, for white college kids (men) who have no troubles in life, etc

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I would have added another argument to that list, but I was stumped for ways to say "it is unreasonable to demand that any company cater to homeless transsexual children at the expense of the rest of its market" without a bunch of thought police jumping down my throat

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Triglav posted:

homeless transgender teenager who only socializes through computer screens presumably at their public library is a very specific subset of the world, but i think we could tack a few more adjectives on

its a irl example from my social network but please dont let that prevent you from trying to make this issue be about your white bread middle class rear end as well! wouldnt want marginalized groups to get too much spotlight after all

Beast of Bourbon posted:

my facebook sales rep and i are friends on facebook and she does not use her real or legal name as her facebook name.

its p hilarious when it gets triggered on employees, happened to a teammate of mine while he was trying to fix a bug that was causing partial site-outages and locked him out completely from all the internal tools

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i furthermore argue that the best possible thing to do to help a gay black transgender teen is to keep them off of facebook as it is a shithole cesspool of curated vanity and projected insecurity

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

at the date posted:

I would have added another argument to that list, but I was stumped for ways to say "it is unreasonable to demand that any company cater to homeless transsexual children at the expense of the rest of its market" without a bunch of thought police jumping down my throat

not trying to thought police here but how is FB letting a homeless trans child use their non-legal/non-real name going to negatively impact me, random FB user #97235?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
yeah you should only use the carefully curated vanity and insecurity projecting website yospos

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you're pretty hacked off lately boaby

what's up

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bartlebyshop posted:

not trying to thought police here but how is FB letting a homeless trans child use their non-legal/non-real name going to negatively impact me, random FB user #97235?

you're not going to be able to find your ex-girlfriend after she runs away and changes her Facebook name because you were beating her

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this thread sucks

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Like goddamn, make a pros and cons list like they taught you in gradeschool.

Real Name TOS Pros:

1. limits repulsive speech through public shaming
2. limits harassment by anonymous users
3. promotes Facebook as a place to communicate with real life friends instead of an alternative to Reddit

Real Name TOS Cons:

1. makes people (more) vulnerable to casual Google-stalking
2. opens transsexuals to a sort of bureaucratic harassment by turds who flag their names

Con #1 can be fixed by greater privacy controls, which are an unalloyed good. Con #2 can be fixed by increasing the number of flags required to suspend an account. There is no downside to current Facebook policy for which allowing fake names is the best solution.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
fart

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
pros: makes us money
cons: some people don't like it
conclusion: they can just not use our product then

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jonny 290 posted:

you're pretty hacked off lately boaby

what's up

yospos is awful now. it's circle jerk liberalism by people that do nothing to actually help/create good in hte world beyond posting about how they're the good ones. it's late era lf without the few humorous posters

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
a dude has to google what fireflies were and didn't get run off for being a broken man child wtf

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean, if you want to get REAL sociopathic about it, there is no reason why facebook SHOULD care about gay black transgender teens. They by definition probably have no family or friends network, they are low earners, and they will likely not be a source of the #1 traffic source for facebook which is baby pictures and reposts.

The sooner we can stop regarding facebook as some sort of The Next Internet globe spanning network that needs Usenet/telco style common carrier guaranteed access status and treat it like an advertising site that lets you sneak through a few drops of info now and then in exchange for leaving your data firehose on 24/7, the sooner we can move forward to fixing actual important things, like "why do gay transgender black teens have no better resource for interaction than loving facebook"

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
if poor marginalized homeless people used their computer hour at the library to learn python instead of blogging on facebook they could quickly afford their own retina imac, tesla, and modest multimillion dollar home

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

born on a buy you posted:

yospos is awful now. it's circle jerk liberalism by people that do nothing to actually help/create good in hte world beyond posting about how they're the good ones. it's late era lf without the few humorous posters

#notallengineers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

born on a buy you posted:

a dude has to google what fireflies were and didn't get run off for being a broken man child wtf

hubris.height posted:

smt x fe is the amalgamation of both fan service fans from persona and fan service fans from fe.

i am consciously willing myself to look forward to it because those two reasons are kind of rough around the edges. but if they keep the ridiculous panty shots + incest to a minimum, or maybe just leave it out, i think it has the potential to be a fun game in the franchises. synthy is probably right, but i will continue to look forward to it

• Locked thread