Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

goku im piss posted:

Then we're just going have to Disagree. I'm not writing a long dissertation about it just to continue a circular argument with you.

Writing a long dissertation about it is literally the exact opposite of what you need to do. lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

goku im piss posted:

Not a simple one. You asked me if KIA best exemplifies what GamerGate is to me but only if I ignore a lot of it.

See, I simply took the exact thing you said and threw it back to you in the form of a question and still you're unable to agree with your own statements lol. Check it out:

goku im piss posted:

quote:

So which GamerGate website best exemplifies what it is to you, goku im piss? And I'd suggest taking more time looking one up than you have previous links.

KIA generally, If you filter out most of the SocJus nonsense and stick to just what the news sites churn out.

circ dick soleil posted:

KIA best exemplifies what GamerGate is to you, but only if you ignore the majority of what gets posted there?

:commissar:

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

Who What Now posted:

Writing a long dissertation about it is literally the exact opposite of what you need to do. lmao

LOL I don't need to do anything. If you don't accept my explanation because it doesn't your personal criteria, then there isn't anything else to discuss.

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

circ dick soleil posted:

See, I simply took the exact thing you said and threw it back to you in the form of a question and still you're unable to agree with your own statements

Because you want me to say that KIA in general is crap, and I don't think it is.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So how exemplary of gamergate is 8chan's gg board?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

goku im piss posted:

LOL I don't need to do anything. If you don't accept my explanation because it doesn't your personal criteria, then there isn't anything else to discuss.

I really don't understand what you are trying to argue at this point. That Leigh Alexander is a racist? That Leigh Alexander said a racist thing? I mean, I guess you can paint her as a racist, but most people are just going to shrug it off considering her background and considering that this is from 5 years ago, any one who brings it up is going to look kind of silly.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

goku im piss posted:

Because you want me to say that KIA in general is crap, and I don't think it is.

I think it's loving retarded how much goons hate other, more popular websites. I was merely deducing whether you would recognize your own statement and agree with it, a task easy enough for most untrained chimps to successfully accomplish, and you failed lol.

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I really don't understand what you are trying to argue at this point. That Leigh Alexander is a racist? That Leigh Alexander said a racist thing? I mean, I guess you can paint her as a racist, but most people are just going to shrug it off considering her background and considering that this is from 5 years ago, any one who brings it up is going to look kind of silly.

No, this is another discussion on whether or not I think KIA is a valuable hub of GamerGate information.

I can see why Ralp killed the thread in GBS and it was moved here. It wasn't dying anytime soon and it probably will here because eventually people get tired of saying the same thing over and over and move on. Checkmate Ralp. Checkmate.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

goku im piss posted:

No, this is another discussion on whether or not I think KIA is a valuable hub of GamerGate information.

I can see why Ralp killed the thread in GBS and it was moved here. It wasn't dying anytime soon and it probably will here because eventually people get tired of saying the same thing over and over and move on. Checkmate Ralp. Checkmate.

Yeah, people get tired of saying how full of poo poo GamerGate is, how it was born from misogyny and harassment and hasn't done anything since to disassociate itself with either of the two, whilst certain people keep going back to "but ethics" or "Sarkeesian/Quinn/[Insert woman GG is angry against] is worse, look at them!".

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Yeah, people get tired of saying how full of poo poo GamerGate is, how it was born from misogyny and harassment and hasn't done anything since to disassociate itself with either of the two, whilst certain people keep going back to "but ethics" or "Sarkeesian/Quinn/[Insert woman GG is angry against] is worse, look at them!".

That seems like a misrepresentation to me. But yea that would be tiring, I agree,

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
If you don't browse the GG sections of 8chan, Reddit or Twitter, it's safe to say you're poorly informed on the topic of GamerGate, especially if you agree with it.

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I just wish that certain people would stop being so ignorant and acting like they understand something they don't. It's simply another form of the age-old goon superiority complex.

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

circ dick soleil posted:

I think it's loving retarded how much goons hate other, more popular websites. I was merely deducing whether you would recognize your own statement and agree with it, a task easy enough for most untrained chimps to successfully accomplish, and you failed lol.

Failed at what? I said KIA was more moderated than the chans and didn't devolve into chaos. I also said if you ignored a lot of the off-topic socjus stuff It was a good resource. How exactly did I contradict my own statements?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

goku im piss posted:

Failed at what? I said KIA was more moderated than the chans and didn't devolve into chaos. I also said if you ignored a lot of the off-topic socjus stuff It was a good resource. How exactly did I contradict my own statements?

The second post on this page is where I spelled it out for you.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

That seems like a misrepresentation to me. But yea that would be tiring, I agree,

A read of this 100+ page thread shows otherwise, but do go on tell us how a supposed consumer revolt, that doesn't even have the testicular fortitude to reign in it's own members who have repeatedly harassed people they view as their ideological enemies, are being unfairly labelled or treated.

circ dick soleil posted:

I just wish that certain people would stop being so ignorant and acting like they understand something they don't. It's simply another form of the age-old goon superiority complex.

I've been following GG since it's original incarnation in the form "5-guys saga" and it has yet to change at all, they've just found more excuses/ways to deflect criticism be it #NotYourShield or "Ethics".

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 2, 2015

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Powercrazy posted:

That seems like a misrepresentation to me.

Looks like someone is a racist pedophile homophobe and needs to be doxxed by the righteous moral crusaders and even if none of that was true it was actually about The Conversation.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
It's weird how GamerGate people can be so willfully blind of something that's right in front of them, that in this day and age there exists a force that can gently caress with your mind and your perceptions of reality this deeply. I remember when 4chan used to live by the motto "We do not forgive. We do not forget", but all I see is forgetfulness.

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

circ dick soleil posted:

The second post on this page is where I spelled it out for you.

I dunno what you're trying to do, trap me into not agreeing with a statement I made, which I reiterated that I agreed with?

This is some funky logic.

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

circ dick soleil posted:

It's weird how GamerGate people can be so willfully blind of something that's right in front of them, that in this day and age there exists a force that can gently caress with your mind and your perceptions of reality this deeply. I remember when 4chan used to live by the motto "We do not forgive. We do not forget", but all I see is forgetfulness.

Whats the reality Circ. Tell me. Bring forth the truth.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

I can play a game and hope to see someone who looks like me while still enjoying the game mechanics. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Honestly, at times it feels like Gamergate is more hostile towards multi-taskers than it is hostile to feminism.

You can argue in favor of small changes alongside big changes.

You can enjoy something while also criticizing it.

You can admit that something you like may have a negative effect and still like it.

You can agree with or consider a point even if one of the five examples used to support the point is not concrete.

You can think a thing, while also thinking another thing. It's only cognitive dissonance when they are conflicting opinions. "This thing has bad aspects, but I like the other good aspects of it, I want them to change the bad aspects" is a perfectly fine thought. You can critique games while still linking games, the criticism does not make you a Fake Gamer.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

goku im piss posted:

I dunno what you're trying to do, trap me into not agreeing with a statement I made, which I reiterated that I agreed with?

This is some funky logic.

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about. This guy is so hosed in the head that he can't recognize his own writing anymore.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
It's pretty sad that some days I think FOX News and the Gamergate folks are the last bastions of true investigative journalism left in the world.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

There is a lot of variety though.

Name five AAA games in the past five years with a black protagonist.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Randi Harper has been responsible for loads of harassment and I haven't seen anyone on her side call her out on it.

http://s2b20blog.mukyou.com/the-hidden-face-of-hypocrisy-randi-harper-part-3/

quote:

Q: After being displayed on Randi Harper’s twitter did you receive any difference in negative attention or more specific threats?

Csefalvay: I actually started receiving unpleasant emails around the time I put out my first analysis which was earlier than my first interaction with Harper. They weren’t exactly great but they were in the realm of the bearable; the classic you should die or go set yourself on fire etc. , which happens to be a favorite phrase of Ms. Harper’s. Now, obviously once she got involved, that’s when it got particularly vile. That is when it got into the realm of very graphic and very shockingly violent threats. Now I must add at this point that I’ve seen my fair share of death threats before. When you grow up in eastern Europe and grow up in a very political household you end up getting bullets through the mail and if you’re doing well enough could get shot at. So you get used to these things, I don’t consider most of these things I’ve received as actual death threats.

Q: So you’re saying you’ve dealt with death threats in your home life, but the ones you received during this ordeal were different?

Csefalvay: What we need to be clear about here is credible death threats in my views means to a method of opportunity. A lot of these people might have the motive; very few would have probably had the means to actually get to me. Even if they had the actual opportunity to actually be able to pull it off so when some random persons tweets or emails me from the safety of his or her mother’s basement, or where ever these people live, that they are going to decapitate me and all that I am not overly perturbed. I’d say the worst that I’ve seen in and around Gamergate, and I’ve noticed this from both sides actually, is interpreting everything as a threat and almost relishing in the role of a victim. Almost being proud that someone found you worthy of threatening; that goes to a point of absurdity.

I’ve seen real death threats from people who mean it in the past. None of this, I believe, were real to that extent; however, you can’t discount them. That is one of the curses of loving another person. One of the worst things about loving another person very very deeply is that you’re no longer free to do the crazy things that you would otherwise heartily pull off on your own. While I would not have been very concerned about my own safety ,and probably would haven’t of given a crap about any of this if it had been just me, the fact that some of them began to include my wife made me very worried.

She even yelled at an anti-GG woman whom she thought was too moderate and ran her out of the movement:

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

circ dick soleil posted:

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about. This guy is so hosed in the head that he can't recognize his own writing anymore.

You want me to respond to a question with a yes or no that is not a yes or no question.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

Name five AAA games in the past five years with a black protagonist.

Why AAA? Are those the only games you can play?

And beyond that, lets say I give you a laundry list of games meeting your criteria. What then?

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 2, 2015

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Powercrazy posted:

Just post 5 MMOs.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

goku im piss posted:

You want me to respond to a question with a yes or no that is not a yes or no question.

Here we go again:

circ dick soleil posted:

KIA best exemplifies what GamerGate is to you, but only if you ignore the majority of what gets posted there?

I expected one of two possible answers from this question. One answer was yes, the other answer was no. This was a yes or no question.

Here is the question again in case you missed it:

circ dick soleil posted:

Sadly, I don't have any hope that you could ever answer this question correctly. Here is a hint: the correct answer was 'yes'.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

When talking about issues in the Games Industry, it is beneficial to discuss issues involving the largest members of the Games Industry. There exist plenty of independent films involving female protagonists and black protagonists outside of racially or sexually targeted movies, that doesn't mean that there is not a problem within Hollywood-budget films.

quote:

And beyond that, lets say I give you a laundry list of games meeting your criteria. What would you then?

If you participate you may find out!

If you're concerned about me adding extra requirements then let me put the request in as specific language as possible:

Please list five black protagonists from five AAA-Budget games in the past five years. The qualifier for a protagonist is that this character is the one that the player controls for the majority of the game, and his or her race cannot be changed (i.e not a Sandbox Character Creator creation); this is waived if the customizable character is displayed as black in promotional materials first and foremost. The purpose of this request is to verify the fact that the Games Industry produces diverse games, by displaying that they can at least have one black protagonist in a game per-year. If this standard can not be met then it should not be a controversial statement to then suggest that the Games Industry has a problem with race.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 2, 2015

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Neurolimal posted:

Alright but don't say I didn't warn you! Writing a big long list right now *holds hand up to face and pretends to be writing into a notepad*

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

circ dick soleil posted:

Sadly, I don't have any hope that you could ever answer this question correctly. Here is a hint: the correct answer was 'yes'.

Sure. Whatever makes you right and me wrong, I completely support it.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

goku im piss posted:

Sure. Whatever makes you right and me wrong, I completely support it.

Answering 'no' makes you wrong, so if I am to interpret "sure" as a yes, you've somehow managed to contradict yourself and therefore you've answered the question wrong. I simply can't say that this is surprising in the least.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 2, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Powercrazy posted:

And beyond that, lets say I give you a laundry list of games meeting your criteria. What then?

Name 5 new IPs announced or shown at E3 this year with a minority protagonist (preferably black or Latino).

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

computer parts posted:

Name 5 new IPs announced or shown at E3 this year with a minority protagonist (preferably black or Latino).

Sorry, Game Devs are doing the Women Thing right now, they can't be expected do deal with more than one topic at once. They can barely make their consumer products work to begin with.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Sorry, Game Devs are doing the Women Thing right now, they can't be expected do deal with more than one topic at once. They can barely make their consumer products work to begin with.

Women protagonists of any race would be ok too.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

computer parts posted:

Women protagonists of any race would be ok too.

Did you not see E3 this year?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Obdicut posted:

Pretening that voluntary segregation is the same thing as forced segregation is a very weird position.

I know this is from some hours ago but I wanted to chime in on it. I don't necessarily mean to direct this at you 'cause I can't tell your stance on it, but having lived under it for half a decade, what I can say is that voluntary segregation sucks and is bad.

The parameters are often defined by someone else decades ago and it's just a bunch of elders hopelessly scrambling to get everyone to live by a code that worked in the late 1800s but is laughable to try to adhere this closely to in the twenty-first century. You get next to no agency in the people who you're allowed to associate with, whether it's just your bros or people you wanna date or gently caress. We were treated to pervasive anti-miscegenation propaganda (our people are dying out, incest would be preferable to interbreeding with white people, forget that nearly all of are mixed race by this point). Everything we were taught was filtered through this forced cultural lens even when it wasn't applicable, like European history or physics or metalworking or advanced mathematics.

Voluntary segregation is poo poo and I will fight anyone who speaks in its favor. Doing away with segregation as I have seen and experienced it is my fuckin' jam.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

When talking about issues in the Games Industry, it is beneficial to discuss issues involving the largest members of the Games Industry. There exist plenty of independent films involving female protagonists and black protagonists outside of racially or sexually targeted movies, that doesn't mean that there is not a problem within Hollywood-budget films.

If you're concerned about me adding extra requirements then let me put the request in as specific language as possible:

Please list five black protagonists from five AAA-Budget games in the past five years. The qualifier for a protagonist is that this character is the one that the player controls for the majority of the game, and his or her race cannot be changed (i.e not a Sandbox Character Creator creation); this is waived if the customizable character is displayed as black in promotional materials first and foremost. The purpose of this request is to verify the fact that the Games Industry produces diverse games, by displaying that they can at least have one black protagonist in a game per-year. If this standard can not be met then it should not be a controversial statement to then suggest that the Games Industry has a problem with race.

If you want to restrict your criteria to the worst part of the game industry feel free. I think it sucks and agree it has a problem appealing to anyone but those in the most broad demographics possible.

Thus very rarely is there a black protagonist or anything but the silent white male PC shooting stuff.

But unlike Hollywood, the game industry is much easier to enter, and so really what the big publishers do is of no consequence to someone who just wants to play games they enjoy, or make games that appeals to a niche audience.

AAA gaming isn't comparable to Hollywood, thankfully.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Did you not see E3 this year?

Fill me in on the highlights. Naming the IPs would be cool too.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

computer parts posted:

ReCore, Wispering Willows, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4, The Division, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Assassins Creed Syndicate, Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

computer parts posted:

Dishonored
Tomb Raider
Horizon
ReCore
Mirror's Edge
Catalyst
Tacoma
Beyond Eyes

• Locked thread