Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Cool, I appear to have lost the ability to play matchmaking! So long as I'm in a lobby with people, the game just searches forever without finding anything- but as soon as I leave people the lobby a game pops up for everyone else soon after, and I'm also unable to find one while soloing on both my accounts. DM/casual and community servers work fine and pop up immediately, but I've currently been searching for a game for 15+ minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Necc0 posted:

I actually just played on an arena server that displayed everyone's ranks.

Really? Then maybe there's a way to do it. It would be really cool to pick teams in subio based on MM rank and not GP score.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

Cool, I appear to have lost the ability to play matchmaking! So long as I'm in a lobby with people, the game just searches forever without finding anything- but as soon as I leave people the lobby a game pops up for everyone else soon after, and I'm also unable to find one while soloing on both my accounts. DM/casual and community servers work fine and pop up immediately, but I've currently been searching for a game for 15+ minutes

You could have max ping set to a really low number.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

You could have max ping set to a really low number.

Wow, that appears to have been it- thanks! I've been fretting over this for the last hour, I should have just whined to the forum immediately. I had it on 50, changed it to 100 and then back to 50 and now it works.

Maybe it had somehow magically gone below 50? :iiam:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Really? Then maybe there's a way to do it. It would be really cool to pick teams in subio based on MM rank and not GP score.

That's equally unhelpful. There are people with inflated and deflated ranks too.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

That's equally unhelpful. There are people with inflated and deflated ranks too.

MM rank is the best predictor of performance you're going to get

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

bpower posted:

What do we need to get a eurogoon server up and running?

Well, I apparently need to sit down and learn how scripting works in cs:go, setting one up seems to be more complicated than I thought. I have the server itself online but there's no running plugins because I am a total babby at all kinds of scripting and coding that's not basic html

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Ok, if its 30 or so to get a top-notch server I'll pay for the first month. If its getting good use a couple of others are bound to chip in from then on. Can someone volunteer to set it up? I really don't know what I'm doing.

edit: sorry didnt see you post. get off yer arse mate and set up the server.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

down with slavery posted:

MM rank is the best predictor of performance you're going to get

Yeah but gpskill is also fine and people use smurfs in those things enough that it wouldn't matter. Who cares about skill in a goonpug haha

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Yeah but gpskill is also fine and people use smurfs in those things enough that it wouldn't matter. Who cares about skill in a goonpug haha

one step ahead of you

can you just delete the stats (permanently) so these nerds stop posting about it

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Forgot about smurfs, but people do that now so its not like using MM rank would make things any worse.

GP Skill works ok, it's just not ideal since it rewards people who play a ton.

I just like having even teams in goonpugs.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If that's your goal then as you play with people take note of their abilities so when you're captain you know who to pick? I think I generally manage even teams because it's pretty easy even ignoring these skill indicators. Naked eye test is always the king.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
"cl_mute_enemy_team" = "0" - Block all communication from players on the enemy team.

good i was getting tired of doing it manually

Treser
Sep 2, 2013

It's not supposed to be safe

Would somebody please be mindful and invite me to the steam group?
I have to go to work and would like to play some when I get home tonight.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/treser/

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Once more, thanks to whoever suggested training bursts, ranked up again.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

GP worked fine imo, the top people were usually in the captains vote as long as they weren't smurfing. It just got reset recently so it's all screwed up atm.

one step ahead of you
It's nice to have so you don't have uneven captains right off the start. There are still cases of this happening but it's usually not bad.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
I picked this up two days ago and played around in casual so I don't look horrendous next to you guys. I'll probably still be bad. Never played CS competitively, so apologies in advance for not knowing all of the shorthand for map locations or tactics.

Here's my steam ID to make fun of invite to the group: http://steamcommunity.com/id/BeRandom/

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

mcvey posted:

GP worked fine imo, the top people were usually in the captains vote as long as they weren't smurfing. It just got reset recently so it's all screwed up atm.

It's also no longer updating again.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Alighieri posted:

It's also no longer updating again.

rip

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

mcvey posted:

Yeah, poor bastards that don't know what's up keep choosing me.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

bpower posted:

I found some stuff on github. I'm having someone much smarter than I look at it tomorrow. Server might be ready for the weekend- might not!

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

bpower posted:

Ok, if its 30 or so to get a top-notch server I'll pay for the first month. If its getting good use a couple of others are bound to chip in from then on. Can someone volunteer to set it up? I really don't know what I'm doing.

I've set a server 5v5 retakes up server up on Amazon AWS before so a. I know how to do it, b. its free if you use their poo poo tier and c. Its probably way cheaper than renting one if poo poo tier doesnt give the performance we desire.
I can install other peoples premade plugins and sourcemod and poo poo but I don't know enough about scripting to write my own

Bohemian Nights posted:

Well, I apparently need to sit down and learn how scripting works in cs:go, setting one up seems to be more complicated than I thought. I have the server itself online but there's no running plugins because I am a total babby at all kinds of scripting and coding that's not basic html

I can work with you on it Bohemian if its any help?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Ahdinko posted:

I can work with you on it Bohemian if its any help?

I'll send you a PM if anything comes up!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

I've set a server 5v5 retakes up server up on Amazon AWS before so a. I know how to do it, b. its free if you use their poo poo tier and c. Its probably way cheaper than renting one if poo poo tier doesnt give the performance we desire.
I can install other peoples premade plugins and sourcemod and poo poo but I don't know enough about scripting to write my own

uhh this is a horrible idea, DO NOT DO THIS

AWS is *not* for hosting CS:GO game servers lmao

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'll send you a PM if anything comes up!

If you're doing it on linux, use this: https://github.com/crazy-max/csgo-server-launcher
Its really useful at keeping your server up to date and stuff

uhh this is a horrible idea, DO NOT DO THIS

AWS is *not* for hosting CS:GO game servers lmao

It worked fine, don't really see what the issue is

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Question regarding flashbangs when you know an enemy is there: is it ever better to peek before the flash pops?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

If you're doing it on linux, use this: https://github.com/crazy-max/csgo-server-launcher
Its really useful at keeping your server up to date and stuff

Firstly, no "if", you are doing it on Linux. No reason to do anything else

quote:

It worked fine, don't really see what the issue is

price/performance is way way way out of whack

AWS solves a lot of problems, and is an awesome service. But not for hosting video game servers (unless you're hosting hundreds-thousands of them and need the ability to scale from 10 to 1000 servers on demand, ie what AWS is good at)

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
$0 for a server was quite attractive to be honest. a 5v5 retakes server works fine on free tier.
I didn't test a 14 slot server with gotv, saved replays, gpskill, hlstat and goonpug and all of that stuff but on a server that might see 3 games a night I can't really see the resource/credit cost being very high

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
maybe pause for a moment and ask yourself "why doesn't anyone else do this"

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Honestly I've got no idea, probably jumping to conclusions like you are. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I had a completely free, well performing 5v5 server for 4 months. I'm not sure what else to say.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 2, 2015

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Ahdinko posted:

Honestly I've got no idea, probably jumping to conclusions like you are. The proof is in the pudding. I had a completely free, well performing 5v5 server for 4 months. I'm not sure what else to say.

You fool! Don't you realize your packets were being molested by amazon??

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

new cbble is really good, but they've totally killed my CT dropdown defense by removing the one-way headshots

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The gently caress is AWS?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Antares posted:

new cbble is really good, but they've totally killed my CT dropdown defense by removing the one-way headshots

Buy a mag-7

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

holding the CT window seems to be decent, especially if you pick up an AK

other than that i get flash spammed and flying tec9'd

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Crain posted:

New sniper rifle that can be swapped for the AWP, its fully automatic but you can only carry 4 bullets.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

Honestly I've got no idea, probably jumping to conclusions like you are. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I had a completely free, well performing 5v5 server for 4 months. I'm not sure what else to say.

I'd have to see/play on it to believe that tbqh

Maybe there's a giant loophole where capable cs:go servers are available for literally nothing but given you know... reality... I find that hard to believe

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I'd have to see/play on it to believe that tbqh

Maybe there's a giant loophole where capable cs:go servers are available for literally nothing but given you know... reality... I find that hard to believe

seriously, you can't even get good free CSGO servers in matchmaking more than 90% of the time

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Crain posted:

http://aws.amazon.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

So apparently TF2 is ripping us off now.

http://www.teamfortress.com/gunmettle/

Everything is either inspired by or directly copied from GO. This will be interesting.

• Locked thread