Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

While the implementation is cludgy I find evolving classes a p compelling carrot on a stick, and great for story.

This, basically. If they'd done it correctly from the start and tied more abilities to jobs instead of classes, we totally could have had Geomancer for Conjurer, <name your favorite sword job> for Gladiator, Thief for Rogue, Hunter for Archer, etc.

But a super valid counter-argument to branching jobs is that it's hell to balance that many jobs, and really I'm happy with the decision to lose classes altogether. It's just kind of a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

class/job distinction is really dumb and it's good that they're avoiding it and i don't know why people constantly try to find complicated ways in which it could have not been dumb and worse than just introducing new jobs in a sane way like they did for 3.0

KoB
May 1, 2009

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

While the implementation is cludgy I find evolving classes a p compelling carrot on a stick, and great for story.

Oh sure, Im not saying its not neat or that it couldnt be good, but as it is its pointless and makes switching from SCH to SMN slightly more difficult than it should be since you should switch stats as well.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I hope the next job is some kind of gunblade job that switches stances between being melee and ranged

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Give RDM mediocre melee and magic skills and then let them use any cross class skill as though they were a base class. :v:

Otherwise yeah, a RDM implemented in the game as is stands would probably end up being a Mystic Knight with a swanky hat.

give me Dancer instead

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Well that final story trial was certainly an amazing beautiful thing.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
gently caress balance, gently caress any new jobs that aren't Red Mage, gimmie Red Mage. Because I said so.

That is my reasoned debate.

Tenzarin posted:

They had this really sweet idea that no one in the world playing a final fantasy MMO wanted to be a warrior, black mage, white mage, summoner, dragoon, ninja, paladin, or every other max lvl class.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I have to agree that red mage is already in the game. Every single weapon without a job soul is a red mage.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The #1 thing I'm hoping for re: future job/class system revamp is no longer having your class tied to your weapon. I want to be a warrior with a greatsword or a paladin that dual wields axes or a monk that uses a bo staff.

The upside of this is that it would make stuff like Red Mage vastly more easy to implement since instead of "uses sword" being a class aspect with skills tied to class, you can tie them to the weapon loadout and focus the actual class mechanics on the "uses support and mild attack magic" aspect of it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tenzarin posted:

I have to agree that red mage is already in the game. Every single weapon without a job soul is a red mage.

This is very true.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/69c8554f1f717b2b87cfb47cbe8c6e83dc31c3c9

Known issues that are going to be fixed with 3.01 next week. Did they already fix the bug with regen sapping the crap out of DRK MP?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I am with the "RDM should be in, and a tank" crowd. First of all, Dark Knight has been wildly successful at getting tanks in duty queues in a way no other MMO has been just by attracting fanbois/girls of Dark Knights to it. That so many of them are bad is a separate problem but it doesn't really matter in this context. What does matter is that from a meta perspective, putting a wildly popular job in the most difficult-to-fill role is healthy for the game.

RDM has always been defined slightly differently with different strengths and weaknesses since the very first Final Fantasy, and that gives them a lot of leeway to do whatever with it. Rapiers are a common theme, however, and its easy to think of some tanking gimmicks mostly involving having a very high parry rate. Perhaps they have kind of a lovely health pool, but a high parry rate and a trait that reduces damage by 40% instead of 20% as well as something like the WoW Brewmaster Monk's stagger bar to even out damage and give a tie in to magic-based abilities to handle the stagger (reduce it, dump it, freeze it, make it bigger, reflect staggered damage, there's so many possibilities) so they are still a good tank that reduces incoming damage without making healers worthless.

Now for me personally, what I want more than anything is a DNC agility tank. Pretty outfits on my favorite tank style? {Yes, please.} This would be literally the only thing that could compel me personally to switch from maining WAR.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
^^^^^^

My love of large, doofy hats is all-consuming.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

mr. stefan posted:

The #1 thing I'm hoping for re: future job/class system revamp is no longer having your class tied to your weapon. I want to be a warrior with a greatsword or a paladin that dual wields axes or a monk that uses a bo staff.

The upside of this is that it would make stuff like Red Mage vastly more easy to implement since instead of "uses sword" being a class aspect with skills tied to class, you can tie them to the weapon loadout and focus the actual class mechanics on the "uses support and mild attack magic" aspect of it.

No. People are stupid enough already. The last thing I want is someone in an instance as a pld with two swords getting hit like a truck and holding no threat.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

mr. stefan posted:

{Yes please.} Also to be a black mage using a spell book would own.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Eimi posted:

{Yes please.} Also to be a black mage using a spell book would own.

Or any spell caster + fists. Tbh, that's what got me into the game in the first place, the hope to be able to do just that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Comedy on the horizon, But the "community" felt gated content was good!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

pksage posted:

They'll get Cure and a lovely MND stat (like Paladin)

Yeah but Paladin healing is no joke in 3.0 now.

KoB
May 1, 2009
The only problem with the current weapon system is that I cant glamour empty hands on my monk.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

complaining about gated content on a game this focused on story is like complaining that you can't skip to the end boss of a JRPG just because you grinded to 99 in the starting area

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

pandaK posted:

E: A straight up Beastmaster class that's a blend of Bard and Summoner where you can buff up your beast like hella and make the mad deeps

If there is one thing I was a bit confused about when it came to Summoner additions--and don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Summoner a lot--but it's feeling a lot less like a "summoner" since none of the new abilities had anything to do with our pet. I mean, it's nice what they did with Ifrit's radiant shield, but that was basically turning a useless ability into a fairly useful one. Having a true pet class in the game would be nice, but it's weird that summoner has actually moved further away from the pet and more towards "the dot class".

As for red mage, I basically thought if it went into the game it'd be something like a melee version of Bard, a dps class that offered some buffing/debuffing. I'm not just not sure if "melee bard" is good enough of a concept to go into the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Blockhouse posted:

complaining about gated content on a game this focused on story is like complaining that you can't skip to the end boss of a JRPG just because you grinded to 99 in the starting area

But you can! Its more of an MMO than a JRPG.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Magil Zeal posted:

If there is one thing I was a bit confused about when it came to Summoner additions--and don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Summoner a lot--but it's feeling a lot less like a "summoner" since none of the new abilities had anything to do with our pet. I mean, it's nice what they did with Ifrit's radiant shield, but that was basically turning a useless ability into a fairly useful one. Having a true pet class in the game would be nice, but it's weird that summoner has actually moved further away from the pet and more towards "the dot class".

As for red mage, I basically thought if it went into the game it'd be something like a melee version of Bard, a dps class that offered some buffing/debuffing. I'm not just not sure if "melee bard" is good enough of a concept to go into the game.

Not very many Summoners in FF games controlled summons like pets. They mostly called on their power to do a single attack. Besides, channelling Bahamut's abilities is pretty Summoner anyway.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eej posted:

Not very many Summoners in FF games controlled summons like pets. They mostly called on their power to do a single attack. Besides, channelling Bahamut's abilities is pretty Summoner anyway.

That's fair, but we do have the summons as pets in this game, and a lot of the summoner arsenal is independent of any thematic connection to our summons. Dreadwyrm Trance into Deathflare is good, but I'm still a bit weirded out they basically left egis alone completely.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
LB summon is way more inline with being an actual summoner. Just imagine if summoners spells were all summons how op it would be! Ok, my opener is Ifirit and then I spam Ramuh with Shiva on procs. I use Leviathan for aoe pulls.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
The next class is obviously going to be sage, if we use FF4 as a reference for where class inspiration is drawn from and assume AST is just an anomaly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blockhouse posted:

It does seem a bit silly that you have to go through so many hoops if you're a new player who wants to be a dark knight.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

It does seem a bit silly that you have to go through so many hoops if you're a new player who wants to be a dark knight.

I don't want to play with someone who takes up drk with no prior game experience. They are just going to waste my time and quit in 2 weeks anyways.

Having to do the storyline they might pick up a thing or two along the way leveling a tank class they need abilities from anyways.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

quote:

I don't think I like the gated content

quote:

I'm now playing my Bard at peak level as though I never left, and I'm well-versed again in all the lore and minutiae, like crafting and using cosmetic gear. Challenging dungeons like the Steps of Faith, in which I had to man cannons and activate snares in order to stop a dragon before it reached a set of gates, ensured that I once again knew how to function in FFXIV's groups.

quote:

By the time the credits rolled at the end of the vanilla content, I realized I cared more for the main NPC characters in this game than I do for anyone I'd come across in Final Fantasy XIII.

quote:

Above all, the main story is of utmost importance for understanding why you're going to Ishgard in the first place.

I'm mad about gated content, and as a professional journalist let me spend this article articulating why it's not bad.

Also:

quote:

Sure, okay, I love me some dungeon running... but the problem is that it gave me no clue as to where even to find the quests to unlock these dungeons, and in the end I only found those answers through Google and by sniffing through some forums.

Look at your map every now and then?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Holyshoot posted:

I don't want to play with someone who takes up drk with no prior game experience. They are just going to waste my time and quit in 2 weeks anyways.

Having to do the storyline they might pick up a thing or two along the way leveling a tank class they need abilities from anyways.

I mean is playing drk from the getgo really any different from playing gla from the getgo?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

idk they tend to roll in skills from other famous classes into other jobs. Astrologian has some Time Magey elements rolled into it with spells centred around speeding things up and slowing things down

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 2, 2015

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Yeah I don't actually have a problem with new people wanting to play the new classes right away. It's the "I have to finish the MSQ before I can go to Ishguard??" That I don't get. Goes right up there with making you get the currents before flying. If they gave you all of the content right away then you'd only focus on the destination and not the journey, which is what it's supposed to be about.

Edit: not to forget all of the other games that do this, but nobody complains about those since they aren't MMOs.

itskage fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 2, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Holyshoot posted:

People only want to play dark knight and quit in two week anyway, they might as well let them in and get their money too.

Heavensward's quests don't change one bit from ARR quests. I was hoping for some new quest dynamic with all the new stuff. I just unlocked the second tier of the slyph dailies and they had a new carrying quest very much like in Monster Hunter. How could they not take that an give it a face lift for the expansion?

They could of easily made a solo duty of you like running from a dragon carrying an egg.

itskage posted:

making you get the currents before flying.

I really like the currents before flying, its like a mix of GW2 vistas and buying flying training.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I never thought I'd see the day where someone wanted more quests like the Sylph quests.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If we're still discussing potential new classes, obviously Samurai will make it in at some point, and I'm going to assume that the next X-Pac will be Ala Migho-themed, so Dancer and Mystic Knight seem very likely. Beyond that, what other classes would we need? We have three projectile DPS classes, three melee ones, a pet one...I don't know a lot about MMO's, but surely there's a limit to what each various job can actually do and still be well-balanced, yeah?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Magil Zeal posted:

That's fair, but we do have the summons as pets in this game, and a lot of the summoner arsenal is independent of any thematic connection to our summons. Dreadwyrm Trance into Deathflare is good, but I'm still a bit weirded out they basically left egis alone completely.

it's because the current egis are already melee dps/ranged dps/tank

egi glamours are allegedly on the way though

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

it's because the current egis are already melee dps/ranged dps/tank

egi glamours are allegedly on the way though

I get why summoners didn't get new egis, it's just strange that the egis gained no new abilities and none of the new abilities that summoners get interact with them in any way. It's odd to me that one of the game's major pet classes would move further towards having their pet just be an extra damage source that requires little interaction/upkeep rather than blending the Egi more fully into how the class plays.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Every discussion of FFXIV is worse when someone brings up Red Mage.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I loving hated red mages in FF11. The worst people played them because they knew red mages were so needed. They were basically the elitist jerks of the EQ style MMO era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I hope all the XI transplants are in DGKK because that's where I ended up. I will nostalgia over Colibri and Mee Deggi all loving day with you.

• Locked thread