Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

King's Field on the 3DS or PC would probably do stupidly well. I don't think they'll revisit that franchise anytime soon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I am itching for a action-y horror game. Should I play The Evil Within or Shadows of the Damned?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Renoistic posted:

I am itching for a action-y horror game. Should I play The Evil Within or Shadows of the Damned?
Shadows of the Damned, its more like grindhouse shlock than outright horror buts it much more consistent and fun than Evil Within.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Accordion Man posted:

Diablo 2 did this, you have to fight all the player characters from Diablo 1 because they all went insane after beating Diablo in Tristram.

I don't remember seeing ALL the player characters from Diablo 1 there, but yeah. Diablo in Diablo 2 is explicitly the hero character from Diablo 1 who tried to contain Diablo within themselves by ramming the soul crystal into their own forehead.

Which seems like a really bad plan! Like, why would you do that, Diablo 1 Hero? But yes, it is pretty cool in Diablo 2 how you're basically hunting down and killing your player character from Diablo 1.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

HJE-Cobra posted:

I don't remember seeing ALL the player characters from Diablo 1 there, but yeah. Diablo in Diablo 2 is explicitly the hero character from Diablo 1 who tried to contain Diablo within themselves by ramming the soul crystal into their own forehead.

Which seems like a really bad plan! Like, why would you do that, Diablo 1 Hero? But yes, it is pretty cool in Diablo 2 how you're basically hunting down and killing your player character from Diablo 1.

Blood Raven is the Rogue from Diablo 1, the Summoner is the Sorcerer from Diablo 1 and the Wanderer is the Warrior, who canonically defeated Diablo.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Iirc the story they chose was that the warrior defeated diablo whereas the others tried, failed and went mad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have to say I'm consistently impressed with White Day. Here's a game that came out in 2000/2001 and does everything we praised Penumbra for but IMO it's a better game. If White Day came out in America during its time I think it would have done well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__i_LoRKhJ0

:aaaaa:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I think the really high graphical fidelity makes it even weirder to me that this guy has no body and casts no shadow whatsoever. Like normally I'd just nod and accept it as a gaming concession, but again, the good graphics make it weird.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I'm hearing weird sounds and someone whispering that they know where I am.

Gotta take a leak. :geno:

It looks cool and all, but it mostly just reminds me that Silent Hills is never going to exist. :(

1stGear fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 2, 2015

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If only the protagonist didn't blurt out his every thought.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Normie Slayer posted:

It reminds me of the Cthulhu game where cultists and deep ones are chasing you while the protag is like "It's a crate" in a monotone voice.

I was thinking about how they could communicate the characters thoughts to the player and I'd settle on a literal interpretation where words float across the screen. They could even use them to play tricks on you.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Normie Slayer posted:

It really doesn't bother me. If I was alone and scared poo poo less I'd be doing it too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I do have to say it's refreshing that the game isn't punctuated with audio cues to remind you to be scared. These first person horror games are trying to take cues from movies which work on screen because they're a controlled experience. But I've played horror games where I miss a scripted scare and wonder why a sharp piano is playing.

Let the monster walk by the player without going "DUNNNN"

e: Also how much money are we betting that you're a murderer who's still chilling in this house or something?

Terrible segue, everyone should check out 9:05. It's an IF game, maybe 10 minutes long.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 2, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

I think the really high graphical fidelity makes it even weirder to me that this guy has no body and casts no shadow whatsoever. Like normally I'd just nod and accept it as a gaming concession, but again, the good graphics make it weird.

The twist is that you are a ghost the whole time.

Normie Slayer posted:

That voice over/narration is a storytelling crutch is something a LOT of game designers seem to have difficulty understanding.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 2, 2015

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
It definitely has its issues, but given it's just a prototype and already looks that good, I'm pretty excited.

I'm not sure how you'd solve the huge disconnect between the protagonist reacting to mundane things but not the crazy poo poo, if it's not intentional. Having him react to the scares could ruin immersion. Having him not react to anything seems kind of empty, though-- the voicing added something extra to the early bits.

unrelated, jfc when you hear voices saying they see you, that is the time to equip the meat cleaver :catstare:

al-azad posted:

I do have to say it's refreshing that the game isn't punctuated with audio cues to remind you to be scared. These first person horror games are trying to take cues from movies which work on screen because they're a controlled experience. But I've played horror games where I miss a scripted scare and wonder why a sharp piano is playing.

Let the monster walk by the player without going "DUNNNN"

e: Also how much money are we betting that you're a murderer who's still chilling in this house or something?

Terrible segue, everyone should check out 9:05. It's an IF game, maybe 10 minutes long.

we'd need someone to bet against :v:

AnonSpore posted:

it kind of feels like that did that on purpose for the oculus rift.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Clearly things would have been fine if he had stopped to wash his hands.

EDIT: It was also so very strange seeing the monsters announce themselves ahead of time in a subdued manner, and then not pop up like a toaster in front of you with a sound sting. You get a polite knock on the door and oh look it's a monster. The other slowly rises from the ground giving you actual time to go "Oh, damnit." This is not a bad thing.

I guess I'm just used to trailers or horror game footage involving sudden glimpses of the monster then oops dead, show title!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 2, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Its really well done, it's a denser, more claustrophobic version of Gone Home. Lots of little things to pick up and interact with. They also go for fidelity instead of manipulation, all those little objects aren't physics enabled, they get picked up and put back into the same position. There are fewer objects, so the textures are prettier. Even then, it's pretty impressive that they have all this done in less than a year.

Good atmosphere as well, setting it not in some kind of old gothic mansion or spooky house, but a regular townhouse that any middle class person could live in. The place also has a serious black mold infestation.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Noooooo potatoman, run! run from the twitchy lady! inspect the frying pan! NOOOO

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I'm not sure how you'd solve the huge disconnect between the protagonist reacting to mundane things but not the crazy poo poo, if it's not intentional. Having him react to the scares could ruin immersion. Having him not react to anything seems kind of empty, though-- the voicing added something extra to the early bits.
I am 100% okay with the protagonist not reacting to anything, personally. And if the game is doing its job, I'll likely be running the gently caress away anyway.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'll be frank, I was expecting that to end with the protag opening one of the already open doors, only for it to open into the incongruous hallway from PT.

It'd make for a pretty sweet stealth announcement. As is, I suspect it's Frog Fractions 2.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

So someone remade the Silent Hills demo?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ravenkult posted:

So someone remade the Silent Hills demo?

It's the good old horror tradition of cribbing a gimmick that worked.

I.E. every indie horror for a while after Amnesia and then again after Slender.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I guess it's a homage? The line written on that flier (''Dad was a real drag'') is from P.T.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

al-azad posted:

It reminds me of the Cthulhu game where cultists and deep ones are chasing you while the protag is like "It's a crate" in a monotone voice.
All the while he's panting and making other noises due to madness.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I like that he very clearly has a Playstation. I think it's one of the older model PS3s? Poor guy didn't even get to play PT himself I bet. Last gen consoles, THE HORROR

This really does look good though. Something about the banality of just a regular looking old house (and a modern house) but you still KNOW that something is going to happen. The video has a lot of tension.

e: although that toilet is NASTY. The dude's a huge slob.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 2, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The whole house is pretty nasty when you look at the corners, it's filled with black mold.

Dollars on donuts that it's an unreliable POV and the place was already a blood soaked charnel house when we got here.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

~~~I've lost my mind on what I'd find...All of the pressure that I left behind....On Allison Road~~

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NIS is also throwing in their hat with the first person dark-as-poo poo little-girl-at-the-edge-of-your-periphery note-collecting horror game (FPDASLGATEOYPNCHG). Actual gameplay and graphics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NncbsnwC-4M

Yomowarai, a game so scary you'll poo poo.

Please let cute horror become a thing.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
That Allison Road demo is impressive as gently caress considering a very small team of people put it together in...what, 9 months or so? I think it even started out with a single dude working on it. I'm curious as to how they got the game to look as good as it does in such a short amount of time, graphic-wise. Then again, I don't know poo poo about game design so maybe it's not too hard if you have a talented bunch of folks behind the scenes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BlackFrost posted:

That Allison Road demo is impressive as gently caress considering a very small team of people put it together in...what, 9 months or so? I think it even started out with a single dude working on it. I'm curious as to how they got the game to look as good as it does in such a short amount of time, graphic-wise. Then again, I don't know poo poo about game design so maybe it's not too hard if you have a talented bunch of folks behind the scenes.

The biggest hurdle in creating realistic graphics is good lighting and they nailed that. The actual modeling work is relatively simple, it's detailed textures and realistic lighting that makes simple objects pop. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys made their own textures using household objects.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

A lot of it is making solid use of the features given by Unreal 4. More and more videos are popping up with architects building entire apartments in ue4, and they look similar to this, lighting-wise.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
People have been calling Allison Road the new PT but I think that has more to do with the photorealism than anything. (Walls dripping with blood? That's lazy imagery.)

Allison Road seemed to do a decent job of ratcheting up the tension but PT was just on another level, y'know?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mr sad posted:

People have been calling Allison Road the new PT but I think that has more to do with the photorealism than anything. (Walls dripping with blood? That's lazy imagery.)

Allison Road seemed to do a decent job of ratcheting up the tension but PT was just on another level, y'know?

I don't know, PT had all the same horror cliches. It starts seemingly normal then the house progressively becomes grosser to the point where you have sink babies, blood dripping refrigerators suspended from the ceiling, and the ghost lady randomly appears in the hallway or banister to spook you.

Ultimately Allison Road is a mock up for what's actually to come, it could be a completely new area in whatever they're creating.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Actually the real unsettling power of Allison Road is that it appeals to that sense of slight dread you feel when you're alone in your house at night. It doesn't happen to me in my lovely one-room apartment, but I've stayed alone in big open houses like the one in AR, and it's somewhat unnerving. Every room has a window facing the yard, and that's just bad.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Some of you mentioned how it's a regular house that anybody could live in but I'm confused by all the old timey paintings and portraits. They seem unusual? Also, when the first big scare happened, I was irritated for a moment because he just turned around and calmly walked away, I was expecting either an audio cue or a youtuber screaming like a child. Of course it's good that these things are missing but on the other hand there should be some reaction from the player character or else the immersion suffers, I think. Was this played on oculus rift?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I got the impression that the character panicked, he ran into the freaking bathroom, realised that he was trapped, and went back into the corridor.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Yeah, I agree that P.T. is on another level to this game, but that's mostly because of weird little differences like the main character never shutting the gently caress up or the fact that the ghost has a clear voice that's easy to make out. I feel like P.T. was spookier because Lisa spoke but never said anything coherent, it was just a series of moans and that grating static-y sound. The main character never reacted to anything, which IMO is best because it leaves all of the reaction on the players themselves--imagine if That Big Jump Scare was accompanied by Norman Reedus screaming in agony or whatever?

This is also why I'm a bit nervous about SOMA. The game looks promising as hell but I don't like the idea of that voice kicking in now and to say obvious poo poo like, "HE WAS STILL ALIVE."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

sicDaniel posted:

Some of you mentioned how it's a regular house that anybody could live in but I'm confused by all the old timey paintings and portraits.

Nah, Christians love that stuff hanging around their house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

A lot of stuff like the monotone voice and inventory system were pretty much confirmed as stuff that isn't going to be in final release, this was proof of concept alpha footage and for early work it's impressive as poo poo. Sure it won't be the "hallway on repeat" like PT was but if they did that, everyone would poo poo all over it as a bald copy so there's no point. The key stuff like the realistic empty house and very subtle changes seem like they're carrying over. Idk why but that quiet "I can see you." chilled the poo poo out of me. There's obviously work to be done but it unsettled me almost as much as PT did, that's a great start.