Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

They're just one off cards anyways, the fact you could make a similar card for every color doesn't mean its a cycle. I mean, technically, the Sword cycle is incomplete because we don't have Allied ones but that isn't happening.

The Sword cycle is actually a cycle, just of enemy-coloured swords.

And the Future Sight futureshifted cards are, by themselves a cycle (of Rare, Ally-coloured futureshifted duals). More specifically they were designed from the start with a different mechanic hinting at a potential cycle of each. Source

A cycle of cards, each of which can be its own cycle. Time Spiral Block :allears:

That said, I don't think we'll see one of these cycles yet. The ones that aren't too weird for a Core Set (even though Origins isn't one, but also is one), are too powerful for one. If I HAD to choose one, I'd go with the filter lands, but they were printed in Shadowmoor so...

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
A horizon canopy cycle would be fine I think. It's basically a cycle land that takes a land drop. Granted it comes in untapped, but it also always deals damage. The only modern deck that runs more than 1-2 is bogles. I guess maybe some faster decks like infect and burn would run sets of a respective cycle?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Grove of the Burnwillows more expensive than Taiga. What a world haha

The non blue duals were always in poo poo tier anyway. :confused:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tonetta posted:

it is in the mail!!!! thx

:respek:

eSporks posted:

Just because a card is green and costs more than 4 mana does not mean it belongs in bloom titan. Can we please stop saying this?
If bloom titan really wanted this effect, Avenger if Zendikar is way higher impact.

Amulet Bloom is kind of like the Nic Fit of Modern; it can ramp out so quickly that it can arguably get away with stuff like maindeck Vraska or Sadistic Hypnotist. :v: Avenger of Zendikar is a good card to bring up, hmm...

bhsman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 2, 2015

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Fingers McLongDong posted:

A horizon canopy cycle would be fine I think. It's basically a cycle land that takes a land drop. Granted it comes in untapped, but it also always deals damage. The only modern deck that runs more than 1-2 is bogles. I guess maybe some faster decks like infect and burn would run sets of a respective cycle?

No way. Nearly every red deck would play all 8 of them because they don't care about their life totals and they get to change land drops into replacement cards.

And a u/w or u/b grove of the burnwillows style land would be way too good for standard.

Rinkles posted:

What did you like about it?

General m15 thoughts. While most of them weren't very good cards the guest designer cards brought some new vision into the game. The Souls were no where near as good as the titans and aside from the red one none of them were unbeatable. The uncommon cycle of the cards that care about lands types were all good and fun. Spectra Ward was not very fun to play against though.

The convoke decks were really fun to play and it took people quite a while to figure out how good it was. Then you could also do u/g self bounce, and r/w auras as well. Getting a dragon token from an opponent casting oppressive rays on your brood mother was super sweet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How was the White Soul (Theros) not super busted?

I remember people on prerelease day in this thread (last one) talking about how good Triplicate Souls was, I'm surprised it was apparently a secret to a lot of other people.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A lot of local FNMs develop really weird metas, especially wrt drafting and what people actually like to draft.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

I remember people on prerelease day in this thread (last one) talking about how good Triplicate Souls was, I'm surprised it was apparently a secret to a lot of other people.

White Soul saw some play in that weird 4-color Control deck that might still be running around. Triplicate Spirits also seems some play but just never really found purchase in the format despite being a Limited/Sealed bomb, especially in multiples.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

edit: didn't realize I was pages behind

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I played against Soul of Theros, Rabblemaster and Hornet Queen that prerelease. I lost all those matches. Also my first time attending one.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Horizon Canopy and Grove are not loving cycles, people, they're part of the same cycle and they're intended to play to the color pairing.

They are not going to print a cycle of Canopies or Groves for all the colors.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that. If you could untap with Soul of Theros the game was basically over. If they could untap with the red soul you had 2-3 turns before the game was over, but the white one was just game.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Angry Grimace posted:

Evolutionary 1G
Enchantment
G, Sacrifice a creature: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. Put that card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Seems like a riff on Survival of the Fittest. Not nearly as good of course, but SOTF is just busted so there's that.

Works with Tokens.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Horizon Canopy and Grove are not loving cycles, people, they're part of the same cycle and they're intended to play to the color pairing.

This is true but everyone will continue to think they will cause they did it for Graven Cairns

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Sigma-X posted:

Well Graven Cairns was a part of its own cycle, but that's because it was already in a cycle in Shadowmoor and they previewed it in Future Sight. I could see them making a cycle out of the four others if they thought any of them were particularly compelling designs, but they definitely didn't have any plans when they made them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sigma-X posted:

This is wrong, actually. Mark Rosewater specifically designed them as a mega-cycle that would hint at cycles of dual lands. I mean, Graven Cairns actually did become a full cycle.

Kabanaw posted:

Well Graven Cairns was a part of its own cycle, but that's because it was already in a cycle in Shadowmoor and they previewed it in Future Sight. I could see them making a cycle out of the four others if they thought any of them were particularly compelling designs, but they definitely didn't have any plans when they made them.

They certainly didn't have a plan in mind of when and where they'd use them (or that they'd really see print), but they were explicitly supposed to hint at a cycle of each.

Future Sight is beloved by many, but it did do a lot of lovely things, one of which is convince everyone that every dumb thing they put it in it had to happen, e.g. each one of these cycles of lands or assembling contraptions.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 2, 2015

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Yeah I was just kidding about finishing them. Grove in control colors would be gross; interesting that horizon canopy is actually w/g and not w/u or u/b for reasons similar to why grove is r/g.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Tonetta posted:

it's really bad with that deck because it doesn't automatically win the game when I play it

Tonetta posted:

yeah that's gonna be in my 75 for amulet, just not sure if it's mainboard or sideboard material. leaning towards sideboard

What?

I'm just not seeing the point of putting it in your list, but I've never piloted the deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Starving Autist posted:

What?

I'm just not seeing the point of putting it in your list, but I've never piloted the deck.

One costs variable and the other costs 5 without giving anytjing.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

TheKingofSprings posted:

One costs variable and the other costs 5 without giving anytjing.

I don't think the enchantment is good, I just don't see how the XX guy really contributes much to the game plan either.

e: To elaborate, the artifact creature doesn't help you ramp and it seems much less powerful than other things you could be doing with lots of mana, like casting Titan or Hive Mind. What am I missing?

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 2, 2015

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

So they print Merciless Executioner in DTK, and then they just go ahead and reprint Fleshbag Marauder in Origins? :shepface:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Dungeon Ecology posted:

So they print Merciless Executioner in DTK, and then they just go ahead and reprint Fleshbag Marauder in Origins? :shepface:
And they're both Warriors.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Meh. Executioner rotates out before Marauder does. And Marauder is ZOMBIEEEEEEE

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
E: ^^^^ Origins and Dragons are rotating together as they are the pivot in the awkward transition to 2-set blocks.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

At least these are mostly functional reprints. Oreskos Swiftclaw was in JOU and in M15.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

E: ^^^^ Origins and Dragons are rotating together as they are the pivot in the awkward transition to 2-set blocks.

At least these are mostly functional reprints. Oreskos Swiftclaw was in JOU and in M15.

Except Executioner was printed in Fate Reforged, not Dragons.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fleshbag Marauder + Merciless Executioner + Despoiler of Souls + Elemental Bond
Maybe this is supposed to be some kind of weird engine??

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do we know what the choices are going to be at prerelease? I imagine a color for each PW, not a color pair for each world?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Actually this prerelease is just going to be an elaborate death trap inspired by the Saw movies. The choices you make are your own.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So with the Standard rotation When Battle for Zendikar comes out, does Theros rotate out of standard or the entire Theros block?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Theros block and M15 are rotating with BFZ.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Fleshbag Marauder + Merciless Executioner + Despoiler of Souls + Elemental Bond
Maybe this is supposed to be some kind of weird engine??

Actually Funeral Sword Guy plays well with them, and any of the good Exploit duders.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Onmi posted:

So with the Standard rotation When Battle for Zendikar comes out, does Theros rotate out of standard or the entire Theros block?

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/daily/mm/2014/en_schedule.gif

Rinkles posted:

Do we know what the choices are going to be at prerelease? I imagine a color for each PW, not a color pair for each world?

yes, they announced it somewhere

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Color for each PW. You get a 7 card pack in addition to your 6 packs of MO. Has a rare/mythic in it, does not guarantee a planeswalker.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Starving Autist posted:

I don't think the enchantment is good, I just don't see how the XX guy really contributes much to the game plan either.

e: To elaborate, the artifact creature doesn't help you ramp and it seems much less powerful than other things you could be doing with lots of mana, like casting Titan or Hive Mind. What am I missing?

Tonetta posted:

It's good against lili, and it's good in the control matchup when you are afraid that you can't get your pact through but have a cavern of souls to play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Unrelated, but I'm only really legit excited for one card in Origins; the new Lili.

Which is a shame, most cards get me hella hyped.

Bad SotF is okay, I guess.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

So, given that nissa is the only pw worth a crap and green seems up and down busted, it seems like a good choice for the prerelease? The white weenie and blue/red thopter decks looks fun but it's harder to open than big green dudes.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

meanolmrcloud posted:

So, given that nissa is the only pw worth a crap and green seems up and down busted, it seems like a good choice for the prerelease? The white weenie and blue/red thopter decks looks fun but it's harder to open than big green dudes.

Nissa is probably the weakest of the walkers, actually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Nissa is probably the weakest of the walkers, actually.

Do explain.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Other than Chandra the walkers all seem pretty playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm thinking of an enchantment deck.

• Locked thread