Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Are there any teams that are decently strong throughout the entire game? It seems like there are too many jobs that are either strong through World 1 and drop off, or that don't come into their own until World 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Team Highly Damaging Paper Bag wins! Barely recovered from two near-wipes, but I got him after a few more levels (and Grand Cross not loving me over and making everyone zombies every loving time).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

And then I beat him on the next try with a double-crit Focus. you drive me nuts, RNG.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Mustard Iceman posted:

And then I beat him on the next try with a double-crit Focus. you drive me nuts, RNG.

!Focus bad, !Counter on BRD and WHM
and !White on MNK good.
Use strategies that allow you to be offensive and defensive especially if you're playing through the game at a good pace and non grindy level.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

ultrafilter posted:

Are there any teams that are decently strong throughout the entire game? It seems like there are too many jobs that are either strong through World 1 and drop off, or that don't come into their own until World 3.

Let's see... we'll take this crystal by crystal.

Blue Mages get good stuff early on. While their damage output lags in the late game, they're still an asset to any team.

Knights... pretty solid all around. There may be a few specific bosses here and there that are tough, but knights generally avoid slumping at either end.

As for Black Mages... Flare may be strictly worse than Holy outside of a few specific edge cases, and occasionally not as good as an -aga, but having solid elemental offense throughout the game is always a boon.

Thieves and White Mages take time to grow, while Monk falls off quickly, so those three are out.

For the water crystal...

Mystic Knights start out with the basic elements and a few statuses, and get the -ra spells almost immediately after you get the job. Since a lot of bosses have some sort of element or status weakness, they're also a solid bet.

Summoners might slump in late world 2, damage-wise, but Ifrit/Ramuh/Shiva are useful until Titan, who can last until Syldra.

Time Mages start out with Haste, progress to Hastega, and end up with Quick by the end.

Red Mages and Berserkers both fall off towards the end of the game.

Next!

Between !Thrown scrolls and dual-wielded weapons, Ninja continues to be remarkably useful, especially if you rolled a caster earlier.

Ranger's big saving grace early on is that bows are kind of stupid good. The elemental trio and the Darkness bow can last well into world 2, whereupon your options only increase. The endgame bows are pretty darn powerful, and let's not forget !Rapidfire.

Oddly, Beastmasters are also pretty decent all-around. Between Bearaga, the various 25% Max HP monsters, the various instant-death monsters, and Crystelles, they can usually pokemon their way to usefulness in any situation. Whips are also surprisingly decent weapons.

Bards are pretty meta: just as they take a while to buff up your party into invincible murder machines, so too do they take a while to get their useful abilities.

Geomancers are great! .... for a non-variant playthrough. They're handy in Exdeath's Castle and the Great Sea Trench, and !Gaia is usually pretty decent at random encounters, but I'd be hesitant to call Geomancer a "decently strong" class in a FJF.

Earth classes....

Samurai comes in with powerful weapons, heavy armor, and innate Blade Grasp. Oh, and loving !Zeninage. All the cool kids roll Samurai. :c00lbert:

Dragoon suffers early from lack of spears, and suffers late from lack of... much else.

Dancer lives and dies by Swords Dance, which technically is always a pretty strong choice. But far too random. And too frail.

Finally, Chemist. A lot of their best mixes require ingredients that can't be found until later on, so until then, they're basically an item bot with a Heal Staff. Still, unless you roll White Mage, they're probably the best dedicated healer you can get. Still, I'm counting them as a "don't come into their own until later" job because this list is subject to personal opinion, dammit. :argh:

EDIT: So, uh... Knight/Time/Ninja/Samurai or Chemist?

Or, if using Chaos rules... Knight/White/(Black/Summon)/ItDoesn'tMatter, I guess.

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 2, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Edward_Tohr posted:

A lot of their best mixes require ingredients that can't be found until later on

Who knew Karnak was "later on"? :v:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

After my pretty simple White Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai run, I decided to go again with a Chaos run. First job is Geomancer, so I guess Gilgabot is punishing me for my hubris. :v:

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

Blue Mage / literally any three other chumps

In terms of an actual answer, any mage class that has spells ramp up the whole way is going to be pretty effective (White, Black, Blue, Summoner). As long as the Wind job is Black Mage or Blue Mage, you're going to keep getting better at a good clip as you go. Right now I've got Blue Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Chemist, which might be the all-around best team possible and definitely feels like every person has been rad from day 1 (with the possible exception of Geomancer, but free magic damage is pretty great with the rest of the team). In terms of a Normal run I'm hard pressed to find a good swap except maybe Beastmaster over Geomancer, but with those first two mages I feel like Geo has better synergy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If we're going purely by ease of use, I'd say Black Mage/Time Mage/Ranger/Samurai is probably the strongest setup. You don't need to have a deep understanding of the game mechanics or do any grinding with this team, just go through the areas and murder everything. Black and Time are useful throughout the entire game, and Rapid Fire allows physical classes to remain competitive in the later stages.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Kyrosiris posted:

Who knew Karnak was "later on"? :v:

Lemme check the mix chart again....

:stare: Jesus. I forgot how many of their utility mixes were accessible in World 1.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Edward_Tohr posted:

Lemme check the mix chart again....

:stare: Jesus. I forgot how many of their utility mixes were accessible in World 1.

Entire chart minus Dark Matter, Dragon Fangs, and Holy Water is in world 1. :eng101: Holy Water is like 10 minutes into World 2, to boot (and that's when you get into poo poo like "literally level yourself to 255").

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Edward_Tohr posted:

EDIT: So, uh... Knight/Time/Ninja/Samurai or Chemist?

Black Mage instead of Knight would be better so you get group healing through Flame Rings.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

zolthorg posted:

!Focus bad, !Counter on BRD and WHM
and !White on MNK good.
Use strategies that allow you to be offensive and defensive especially if you're playing through the game at a good pace and non grindy level.

Well, with Byblos, I needed the chance to do more damage in an attack than he could recover with Drain. No way around that. I couldn't stay alive long enough to kill him solely with counter-attacks, especially when he's cast Discord and Web on everybody, and is annihilating my MP with Magic Hammer.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Monk/Zerk/Beast/Zerk: How important are reflect rings going to be? Grinding in this tower is proving to be terrible and I want to just move on.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

maou shoujo posted:

Monk/Zerk/Beast/Zerk: How important are reflect rings going to be? Grinding in this tower is proving to be terrible and I want to just move on.

Death Sickles will take care of the Crystals.

For Exdeath, just bring his HP down to 50% (~16400) then release a pair of Lesser Lopros. He doesn't start using the -aga spells until he's under 16000. Probably better to grind for the Reflect Rings, though.

Mustard Iceman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 2, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I would say

Blue mage /summoner /beastmaster /chemist

Would be one of the most solid/easy of play teams. Blue mage is awesome. Goblin punch/flash/vampire destroys the early game (vampire doesn't work on heavy for mobile version). Summoner destroys liquid flame and ifirit. Blue mage just uses death claw on byblos. Ramuh then does a lot of work. Lets not forget one shotting sand worm. And the trend just continues honestly. Blue mage and summoner already trivialize the bosses.

Beast master makes blue mage better, makes normal mobs a bit easier, allows for the quickest exp grind, and 9999 to all NED parts . Chemist is a bit overkill, but any bosses blue mage/summoner can't handle quickly, chemist can. Blue mage allows for the quickest ABP grind.

Beastmaster can calm the robot. And blue mage can make the dragon angry.

I can't think of a single boss this team can't trivialize. While it may not be able to burst damage as well as some team. It just sustained goodness the entire time.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 2, 2015

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

I defeated adamantoise and soul cannon as quad bard.....now Archeoaevis..... I have no idea how I am to deal with you.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

The team is assembled.

I think I'm going to have to farm Staffs of Light and get unbelievably lucky with the Killer Bow in World 2.

Then I'll get Hero's Rime and everything'll be all right.

Can I effectively cast Berserk on Shinryu, or will I need a Power Staff?

18 of my 24 Chaos jobs were Fire and/or Earth jobs (and 4 of the ones that weren't were Red Mages)... I thought this would be different but I still got two Fire jobs.

Mustard Iceman fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 2, 2015

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Finally got to the earth crystal! No more running 4 Berserkers. :toot: To tell you the truth it was actually easier than I thought it would be.

For some reason running 4 Berserkers is way easier on the iOS version. Sandworm is down from a 1/6 chance to hit to a 1/3 chance to hit. And the targeting forces them to attack certain targets. So for Sandworm they attacked the front hole exclusively and for Sol Cannon they destroyed both launchers first before they attacked the cannon. Beat Sandworm at level 25 on my first try, and beat Sol Cannon and Archeoavis at level 30, also on my first try. And the victories weren't even close, so I honestly could've done these at lower levels and would've been fine.

Anyways, now I have real jobs and one of those is Chemist. And protip for anyone else playing the iOS version: Prototypes have Dark Matter as a guaranteed drop. :getin:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Mustard Iceman posted:

The team is assembled.

I think I'm going to have to farm Staffs of Light and get unbelievably lucky with the Killer Bow in World 2.

Then I'll get Hero's Rime and everything'll be all right.

Can I effectively cast Berserk on Shinryu, or will I need a Power Staff?

18 of my 24 Chaos jobs were Fire and/or Earth jobs (and 4 of the ones that weren't were Red Mages)... I thought this would be different but I still got two Fire jobs.

You can just cast it.

I had a similar team, Rapid Fire with a Staff of Light does decent damage to World 2 Exdeath; it's how I got over that hump.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

And now to watch Shinryu attempt to murder a zombified Lenna while he lasers himself to death... a hundred damage at a time. :shepface:

0xACF8 HP to go!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Suck my balls Omega

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Jeez, neo exdeath does NOT gently caress around.

Where can I find more elixirs?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zombie Lenna is the real hero. :downs:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Zombie Lenna is the real hero. :downs:

Friend to all dragons. :downs: It's just that "friend" in zombie language is "thing that lets you eat their brains".

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
The upshot of having a Chemist: You have a goddamn Chemist.

The downside of having a Chemist: Required grinding to get materials. I went hunting for Turtle Shells after getting my last job, because after having to be really conservative with them last run since I went to world 2 with only 20 of them, I wasn't going to get caught with my robes down a second time. However, remember that Galuf got the gently caress out right after getting Earth, and as a result of my farming (50 shells this time, I should be good until world 3), the remaining trio went from level 15 to 19. I dislike lopsided team levels. Galuf is going to look like a wuss when he rejoins.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

The upshot of having a Chemist: You have a goddamn Chemist.

The downside of having a Chemist: Required grinding to get materials. I went hunting for Turtle Shells after getting my last job, because after having to be really conservative with them last run since I went to world 2 with only 20 of them, I wasn't going to get caught with my robes down a second time. However, remember that Galuf got the gently caress out right after getting Earth, and as a result of my farming (50 shells this time, I should be good until world 3), the remaining trio went from level 15 to 19. I dislike lopsided team levels. Galuf is going to look like a wuss when he rejoins.

Depending on his class, you can actually grind a little bit in that single room before rescuing the rest of the team. Shell Bears and Tarantulas may not be huge experience, but it's all being funneled into a single party member, they bring their own potions, and they're pretty easy to slaughter en masse if you have any sort of damage output whatsoever.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Also, he has access to a healing pond in the castle. Just go north immediately in the room you start in.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Gonna have a loooot of free time this weekend, so I'm gonna abuse some road trips and travel time to finally play my run.

Double dragoon, summoner, dancer. Seems like a really solid team! (and of course totally running the mod to make goons and dancers better :v:)

Minera fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 2, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Run 6, Triple Crown 5 is in the books! (O, S, N)

Not much to say - Bard is the ultimate late bloomer - pain in my loving rear end trying to get past Liquiflame and Sandworm and Sol Cannon with Geomancer/Bard (and Geomancer/Bard/Ranger), but once I got time to stretch my legs, 9999 Zeninage/9999 a pop Rapid Fire/4k+ Wind Slashes cannot be stopped, especially at 99 Agility. Easy Romeo-lock of Omega, easy (albeit long) zombieflect of Shinryu, and NED went down in a hail of level 99/99 relevant stat AoE.

Please, Gilgabot. No more Geomancers. :(

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Galuf healed Gilgamesh so hard he fled in terror. :catholic:

Seriously though, Gilgamesh being vulnerable to Mini is the best thing.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Fenrir posted:

Suck my balls Omega

You too Shinryu

Tomorrow I'll wrap this up and it'll be Triple Crown #3.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Well, here's the final group: White Mage / Mystic Knight / Geomancer / Samurai. It's certainly not what I would have picked for myself, but I think it's doable. Don't think I want to try the Triple Crown this time, though. I've never managed to beat Omega or Shinryuu, and I would rather have something broken on the team to let me do it. (e.g. access to !Mix, Dual Wield, or !Rapid Fire.)

Geomancer is definitely the let-down of the party, but Edward Tohr is absolutely right about their utility in random battles. With the lone and unfortunate exceptions of Magic Fans (which are chumps) and Ghidra (which isn't), my double !Gaia/!White mage team tore a hole through the Ronka Ruins.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

David Corbett posted:

Well, here's the final group: White Mage / Mystic Knight / Geomancer / Samurai. It's certainly not what I would have picked for myself, but I think it's doable. Don't think I want to try the Triple Crown this time, though. I've never managed to beat Omega or Shinryuu, and I would rather have something broken on the team to let me do it. (e.g. access to !Mix, Dual Wield, or !Rapid Fire.)

Geomancer is definitely the let-down of the party, but Edward Tohr is absolutely right about their utility in random battles. With the lone and unfortunate exceptions of Magic Fans (which are chumps) and Ghidra (which isn't), my double !Gaia/!White mage team tore a hole through the Ronka Ruins.

That team gets an absolutely free Shinryu kill, though. Have your White Mage cast Berserk, then spam Blink (probably have the Geomancer as a !White bot too) on everyone and keep it up at all times. The Mystic Knight and Samurai can chop him down to size by themselves.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

That team gets an absolutely free Shinryu kill, though. Have your White Mage cast Berserk, then spam Blink (probably have the Geomancer as a !White bot too) on everyone and keep it up at all times. The Mystic Knight and Samurai can chop him down to size by themselves.

Oh, really? Huh, no kidding. Thanks for the tip! Is Omega pretty much impossible, or is this actually doable? Because if it is, I absolutely want to do a Triple Crown win on my first FJF.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

David Corbett posted:

Oh, really? Huh, no kidding. Thanks for the tip! Is Omega pretty much impossible, or is this actually doable? Because if it is, I absolutely want to do a Triple Crown win on my first FJF.

Nah, there's no real easy solution for Omega with that team, sadly. Still though, tacking on a heart isn't bad. :)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

David Corbett posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's viable with your team. Mystic Knight has the potential to get past his defense with Thundaga Sword, but no way around that 90 Evade, even assuming you'd live long enough to deliver enough hits.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Ah, nuts. Oh well. Next time?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Ah poo poo, my Chaos run is forcing me to fight Soul Cannon with four Geomancers. How hosed am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Lost enthusiasm when I mixed up going back to my save with starting from a save state, and losing from Titan to World2 black chocobo. Got back into it today, though! Rapid Shot with Killer Bow is pretty awesome.

• Locked thread