Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I wish there was a four door version of the M235i but I've said this before. Just eensy little doors for a child seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'd bet my last dollar that before too long BMW unveils a 2-Series Gran Coupe.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121690637951?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Today I learned that E46 coupe and sedan window regulator motors are swapped side to side for the same part number. :suicide:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Holy poo poo, mine is in pretty similar shape and I got it for about half of the current bid.

I wanted to come here and post about how my e24 is now covered in hail damage, but instead I'll talk about the reason it was outside to begin with.

The goddamn maintenance deficit e28!
I did all the coolant lines, thermostat, water pump, and I charged the ac with r152a. It is now a much more capable daily, as it doesn't run hot in traffic with the ac on, and the ac actually works when it's above 90*. I drove it around the block and with 100* ambient, I was seeing 50* vent temps. On the freeway the car cooled down nicely, not too shabby for the stock undersized condenser and old compressor!
I'm going to play with the running pressures tomorrow and see if I can get it even colder.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

I'll be in my bunk.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I know it's a 5 speed and all but that seems like a ton of money for a car that doesn't have half the poo poo in the interior working

e: I'm looking at getting an e28 and if the prices are starting to inflate on those too I'm gonna be pretty sad

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
That one is also in Houston, make sure it's not flooded out by now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So here's a question that I'm almost afraid to ask: how likely is it that I'd be able to reuse the dual mass flywheel on an '05 330 with just shy of 90k miles? I know it can't be resurfaced, but I keep seeing that they're technically intended to last for two clutch replacements. I've noticed my throwout bearing is starting to squeak, and I'm thinking about sucking it up and adding a clutch kit to my ongoing massive overkill maintenance project. At the same time I really don't want to blow ~$600 on a new flywheel just for the hell of it. For what it's worth, the clutch feels fine and isn't slipping at all, but I figure with 90k miles I might as well just address the clutch and TO bearing and hopefully never think about either one again.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Your TOB is probably fine, just needs to be lubricated. Semi-common issue on E46s:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=834188

The TOB shouldn't be failing at 90k, I'm still on the original bearing and clutch at 133k and will likely get another 40-50k out of them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm getting kinda pissed.

The power steering pump on my E39 540i, uh, broke off. Sheared two bolts and sheared the mounting tab on the pump housing.

I called around, and a place I hadn't used but had good reviews was willing to try to save the power steering pump (the pump worked fine, it was the housing that broke). I dropped it off three weeks ago yesterday, and they said they were swamped and likely wouldn't get to it until the following week.

I talked to them last week and they were having trouble extracting the lower pump bolt from the oil pan, but had taken the pump apart, verified that the seals were all good and had the housing welded back together.

I talked to them yesterday, three weeks to the day from dropping the car off, and they're not done with it and won't give me an ETA. I also haven't technically approved any work, as I haven't seen an estimate or anything.

I'm getting kinda pissed now. I want my car back. I know it's a very non-standard repair, but a proper shop shouldn't have any problem with it, unless I'm missing something.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Your TOB is probably fine, just needs to be lubricated. Semi-common issue on E46s:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=834188

The TOB shouldn't be failing at 90k, I'm still on the original bearing and clutch at 133k and will likely get another 40-50k out of them.

I was going to give lubrication a shot before replacing any parts, but I'm not too confident that that's actually the issue that I'm having. Aside from the chirp when depressing the pedal, there's also some noticeable noise with the pedal completely depressed that goes away once the pedal is released. There was no really audible change in noise with the clutch engaged/not engaged in my old 330 so I assume it's not normal, but then again my old car was an '03 with the 5-speed transmission. Aside from that, I don't have any driveability symptoms.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd have taken my car back after three days.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I went and got the full version of Carly for BMW, only to find out I can't reset service counters over Bluetooth, since my car is pre-2007. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap OBD2 to USB connector that will work with it, on Android?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

I'd have taken my car back after three days.

I'd have to get it towed from there, so that's kinda difficult. Not impossible (I have AAA) but I have a spare car I'm driving, I just am getting nervous now.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Paradoxish posted:

So here's a question that I'm almost afraid to ask: how likely is it that I'd be able to reuse the dual mass flywheel on an '05 330 with just shy of 90k miles? I know it can't be resurfaced, but I keep seeing that they're technically intended to last for two clutch replacements. I've noticed my throwout bearing is starting to squeak, and I'm thinking about sucking it up and adding a clutch kit to my ongoing massive overkill maintenance project. At the same time I really don't want to blow ~$600 on a new flywheel just for the hell of it. For what it's worth, the clutch feels fine and isn't slipping at all, but I figure with 90k miles I might as well just address the clutch and TO bearing and hopefully never think about either one again.

I have heard "Always replace the DMF no matter what" and "If it's in good shape, use it one more time". I think the issue is many shops unfamiliar with a DMF might look at the surface and say it looks fine but don't check the springs for wear. Find a good shop that knows how to inspect a DMF properly and trust their judgement. That's what I'll end up doing when it comes time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dumb question time.

I've had the typical low speed overheating issue on my 96 M3 for awhile now. I've replaced the water pump, expansion tank and thermometer recently and the car runs cool above 25 mph. But I live in the city and often am stuck in traffic and I notice the temp climbing over time.

I figure it's either the fan clutch, aux fan switch or the entire aux fan. I've looked up how to test them and I'm hoping to do that soon. But I can't figure out conceptually how these all fit together.

Is the fan clutch part of the aux fan or a separate fan? I heard of the newspaper test but I have no idea where to do this from and I don't wanna destroy something by jamming paper into the wrong place.

Also if it helps my AC does not blow cold and I'm suspecting/hoping that this is due to my cooling problem and maybe points towards a bad aux fan.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The aux fan is the electric fan infront of the radiator/condensor at the front of the car. You can visually verify it working by turning the AC on and looking to see if it's spinning. The fan clutch is what attaches the fan blades you see in front of the engine to the waterpump and determines how much air it moves. You can verify one being bad by sticking a rolled up newspaper into the fan blades with the engine hot - if it stops the fan then the fan clutch is bad.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My E36 aux fan went out, it's easy to replace but difficult to find a cheap one if I remember correctly.

There is a three-pronged plug that plugs into the bottom of the fan, make sure that's fully seated. It's a heavy connector and mine would back out over time. I'd have the A/C on, reach under the front bumper, push on the plug, and the fan would come on (this was with the replacement fan, I ended up splicing in a junkyard harness because it fit tighter).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CornHolio posted:

My E36 aux fan went out, it's easy to replace but difficult to find a cheap one if I remember correctly.

There is a three-pronged plug that plugs into the bottom of the fan, make sure that's fully seated. It's a heavy connector and mine would back out over time. I'd have the A/C on, reach under the front bumper, push on the plug, and the fan would come on (this was with the replacement fan, I ended up splicing in a junkyard harness because it fit tighter).

Had a real similar issue with my coolant reservoir level connector which is a similar design. I took a pick and bent in part of the female tube connection a little bit so it would grab the male pins a little harder. Haven't had any issue since.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I'm getting kinda pissed now. I want my car back. I know it's a very non-standard repair, but a proper shop shouldn't have any problem with it, unless I'm missing something.

I bet it's getting hot potatoed around from tech to tech because no one wants to do it. Three weeks is pretty ridiculous though, I'd drop by and see what they're doing/done to the poor thing by now.

Weirdly my e36 came from the factory without an aux fan, apparently some of the later 318i's are like this. The AC runs a bit warmer and the system pressure gets kind of high when idling for a while, so I think I'll have to retrofit one on some day.

Fun fact I found out today while swapping out all my bulbs for leds: the outer brake light bulbs appear to take standard 1157's, except on closer inspection (i.e., trying to smash a standard 1157 into the socket) you find out it's a teeeeny bit different, with one of the locating nipples at a slightly different angle compared to normal, necessitating you either buy special snowflake BMW 1157's or carefully modify the socket (i.e. bash it with a drill until it works). I am not sure why BMW did this, I am going to assume it was due to seething hatred for all of mankind.

Then to add insult to injury, when I went to test the light, I found out that, even though the special snowflake socket is wired for dual intensity, the original specced bulb is dual intensity, the socket is fubared so you don't accidentally put a non-dual intensity bulb in, and additionally fubared so you don't plug the socket itself into one of the non dual intensity holes in the housing, and after I went out of my way and expense to buy an led that has good dual intensity output, it turns out after all that, that under no conditions does the car actually use the higher intensity setting. It just sits there in low mode when the headlights are turned on, and . . . that's it, that's all it ever does. I even looked up videos of other e36's, this is apparently normal operation. WHY BMW

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently the dual intensity is for european foglights, the wiring for which was left out of US models

Xy Hapu fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 1, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I'd have to get it towed from there, so that's kinda difficult. Not impossible (I have AAA) but I have a spare car I'm driving, I just am getting nervous now.

If you give them this long and don't take it back they'll keep screwing around until you do.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Xy Hapu posted:

I bet it's getting hot potatoed around from tech to tech because no one wants to do it. Three weeks is pretty ridiculous though, I'd drop by and see what they're doing/done to the poor thing by now.

I got ahold of them today, told them I'd like to have it back by Friday (they're working Friday).

It sounds like they're just so behind that my car wasn't a priority. This shop had several 60s-era Mercs, several Porsche 911s, etc... there so an E39 with a busted power steering pump, whose customer stated he didn't need it back right away and had a spare car, got shoved to the back burner.

I'm hoping it doesn't cost any more than a few hours of labor.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

Had a real similar issue with my coolant reservoir level connector which is a similar design. I took a pick and bent in part of the female tube connection a little bit so it would grab the male pins a little harder. Haven't had any issue since.

Oh thanks for this, I need to check it as well. I've been getting a low coolant warning on startup for awhile now despite there being a full reservoir tank. Hopefully the level sensor is OK and its just the connector.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
I'm poking around craigslist in my area and I see a few e30 e325 convertibles for sale around 2k. Are these getting swept up in the E30 craze? Suppose I were to snatch them up and repair, what are fairly turnkey E30s going for these days?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Verts are generally the least desirable unless the person really wants a drop top

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I'm poking around craigslist in my area and I see a few e30 e325 convertibles for sale around 2k. Are these getting swept up in the E30 craze? Suppose I were to snatch them up and repair, what are fairly turnkey E30s going for these days?

Depends on what you do. 5k+ for a sorted 5spd coupe, at least. I don't see convertibles being that in demand.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
What about a 325ix? And an e28 535i manual?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

I got ahold of them today, told them I'd like to have it back by Friday (they're working Friday).

It sounds like they're just so behind that my car wasn't a priority. This shop had several 60s-era Mercs, several Porsche 911s, etc... there so an E39 with a busted power steering pump, whose customer stated he didn't need it back right away and had a spare car, got shoved to the back burner.

I'm hoping it doesn't cost any more than a few hours of labor.

Here's a tip from 7 years as a (marine) service writer/manager: Never tell the shop you have a spare/aren't in a hurry to get your car/truck/boat/whatever back. That will instantly put you at the back of the line, and the first unit to get pushed back if anything else pops up. Not saying that 3 weeks is reasonable, but if you told them that, they're absolutely putting you on the back burner every time they need to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

What about a 325ix? And an e28 535i manual?

The ix is awd, so unless you want a snow beater...

The E28 can be cool, but they aren't inflated in price the way the E30 is.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I need a winter beater and I really want it to be a 540i.

How's the whole beater 540i thing working out?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It wasn't really a beater per se, but I daily drove a 6-speed e39 540 for almost eight years and it was a great car that was also pretty reliable. Drove it from Philadelphia to CT in the middle of the night over unplowed highways in a snow storm once.

I miss that car. :(

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BlackMK4 posted:

It makes you a badge whore.

Ouch but no.

All the small cars are just meh? Corolla, Sentra, Civic are good cars but aren't fun nor nice. The Sports Civic is fun but not necessarily fits everyone demographic.

I like the new ILX and the A3 but still want to see something from BMW. A small car that's fun to drive, without the drawbacks of "too much sportiness" and great comforts.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Tab8715 posted:

A small car that's fun to drive, without the drawbacks of "too much sportiness" and great comforts.

Congratulations you just described a 1-Series or a 2-Series coupe. Not that...thing...you spoke of earlier.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

the drawbacks of "too much sportiness"
Say what now?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Party Alarm posted:

Mine was an auto and it was amazing. Its actually one of the few cars I regret getting rid of. Did well on snow and ice, with snow tires of course.

I'd buy another one once I get the space.

If you read back a little there's plenty of poo poo on the M62. Make sure the tensioner is fresh, drop the lower oil pan every so often and check for timing chain guide chunks (much easier to replace than repair). Other than that, bushings, gdcs (v8 system seems a bit more robust), and other BMW bullshit.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Tab8715 posted:

Ouch but no.

All the small cars are just meh? Corolla, Sentra, Civic are good cars but aren't fun nor nice. The Sports Civic is fun but not necessarily fits everyone demographic.

I like the new ILX and the A3 but still want to see something from BMW. A small car that's fun to drive, without the drawbacks of "too much sportiness" and great comforts.
Mazda 3?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I've got a friend that I can pick up an e39 M5 LSD off of. I would just need to find a 540i touring to put it on

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

CornHolio posted:

[...]whose customer stated he didn't need it back right away and had a spare car, got shoved to the back burner.
As stated before, never do this. Instead say I need it in a week, or in two weeks, etc.

Party Alarm posted:

I gave up on mine. The steering wheel tilt motor was making funny noises, both seats needed a motor, and all the window regs kept breaking, and I wasn't going to shell out $1k on BMW regs for all windows.

I do miss the 6 speed and the gobs of torque. Oh, and the sweet induction noise with a CAI.

rscott posted:

I know it's a 5 speed and all but that seems like a ton of money for a car that doesn't have half the poo poo in the interior working

e: I'm looking at getting an e28 and if the prices are starting to inflate on those too I'm gonna be pretty sad
You better hurry up!
A couple years ago you would trip over e28s under $2k, not so anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I miss the hell out of my e28. I guess I should just finish the brown car, then get an e28 to shove an M62b44 in